Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the heads up on the NIS CE's guys, the Witch and the Knight looks pretty cool!

Any thoughts on Mugen Souls?
In general Mugen Souls is considered a bad game. I played a bit (like 2 hours) and while it had a few interesting mechanics but in general it felt very poorly put together, but I haven't played enough to form an actual opinion about it's over all quality.

Pretty sure it was widely hated and loathed. I remember when this whole thread went ballistic over the censorship, was hilarious.
I wanted to laugh at it, but the fact there are actually human beings that would use violence as a counter argument to washing little girl's private parts while they giggle made me lose nearly all hope for humanity.

I remember when this whole thread went ballistic over the censorship, was hilarious.
I remembered that too. Such great popcorn moments, haha. Anyway, I decided to get The Witch and the Hundred Knights LE despite having a pre-order from Amazon for $19. Had to use my expiring gift certificates on something.

I sold a copy of Yakuza 2, mint and sealed, for $50. Apparently the buyer was a middle man. (Can't imagine a living buying games off half.com for gullible customers.) The recipient claimed the disc was bad. In the nearly 30 years I've been using disc-based media, I've never had a bad disc. So they send it back. It works just fine for me. Surprise surprise. I tell them a full refund is unreasonable and that it's now lost its value since its been opened. I can get about $30 for it, so I offer them a $25 refund. Seems fair given my time they've wasted and how much more time it'll take me to sell it again. They say they were expecting a 20-30% restocking fee and that 50% is way too much.

Ughhhh I'm so annoyed. A normal retailer wouldn't even take a refund on an opened game, and this game can't even be "restocked."

So annoyed!!!!!!!

I sold a copy of Yakuza 2, mint and sealed, for $50. Apparently the buyer was a middle man. (Can't imagine a living buying games off half.com for gullible customers.) The recipient claimed the disc was bad. In the nearly 30 years I've been using disc-based media, I've never had a bad disc. So they send it back. It works just fine for me. Surprise surprise. I tell them a full refund is unreasonable and that it's now lost its value since its been opened. I can get about $30 for it, so I offer them a $25 refund. Seems fair given my time they've wasted and how much more time it'll take me to sell it again. They say they were expecting a 20-30% restocking fee and that 50% is way too much.

Ughhhh I'm so annoyed. A normal retailer wouldn't even take a refund on an opened game, and this game can't even be "restocked."

So annoyed!!!!!!!
I would have refused. Might not be the best business practice, but I would have told them they're getting an unopened copy and anything wrong with the disk is beyond your means. Of course, being on the receiving end if the disk was , in fact, bad. I would be livid.

Yeah, I wanted to be nice on the off-chance there was a problem with the disc (probably .0001% chance), although I was pretty direct in the e-mail about it being absurdly unlikely there was a problem with anything but their disc drive.

Since they won't take the $25 refund, I'm going to explain to them that I'm taking a loss of time and energy at $30 refund and losing money above that, not to mention a normal retailer would not refund a working, opened game that had been new and sealed, never mind the fact that it was a collector's item when sealed.

But they'll probably just reply with another two sentence e-mail about how it's not good enough.  Frankly I hope they never buy from me again.  Their orders are frequently a pain to fulfill.

So my mom got my Tales of Xillia for xmas (well, I ordered it with her card as a present to me because she didn't want to stay up until 12:01am) for BF. It was $20 on Gamestop's website. I just returned it unopened to Walmart for 43.66, got two $20 PSN cards, a box of straws, and a chocolate bar (Ghirardelli Sea Salt Soiree. Yummy.) I'll use the $40 to buy Tales of Xillia and Killzone: Mercenary on PSN (which is how I prefer things anyway) and still have $21 left over.

Well, I guess this makes me a dick, but I'm a happy dick.

I would have refused. Might not be the best business practice, but I would have told them they're getting an unopened copy and anything wrong with the disk is beyond your means. Of course, being on the receiving end if the disk was , in fact, bad. I would be livid.
same here

Even if you refuse, Amazon/ebay will almost always side w the buyer.

If this was a cash transation, then yea, tell the buyer to go pound some sand (in a nice way)

So my mom got my Tales of Xillia for xmas (well, I ordered it with her card as a present to me because she didn't want to stay up until 12:01am) for BF. It was $20 on Gamestop's website. I just returned it unopened to Walmart for 43.66, got two $20 PSN cards, a box of straws, and a chocolate bar (Ghirardelli Sea Salt Soiree. Yummy.) I'll use the $40 to buy Tales of Xillia and Killzone: Mercenary on PSN (which is how I prefer things anyway) and still have $21 left over.

Well, I guess this makes me a dick, but I'm a happy dick.
No, it makes you a criminal. That's called return fraud. You're also an idiot to post about criminal behavior on a public forum.

Yeah, I wouldn't give them a full refund. $30 seems fair. 

I personally wouldn't buy a PS2 game for $50 new  just to play, maybe to keep as a collector's item on my shelf.  I would have gone for the second hand route to play old games.

Speaking of Yakuza 2.  I bought that game used from Gamestop several years ago. There was one spot that would glitch and won't let you progress in the game.  I returned the game and got my money back.  I think that was the only PS2 game I ever returned to Gamestop.

I still hope for Yakuza 1 and 2 HD for the PS3 to come to the U.S. region. 

Does anyone know if the Japanese version of Yakuza 1 and 2 HD has English subtitles and/or voice overs for each game?  I know PS2 Yakuza 1 had English voice actors, but not PS2 Yakuza 2 just English subtitles.

If so, I'd so import that game if the price was right.

I'm 99% sure it doesn't. IMO it's ridiculous that Sega never released them here - a digital release would have basically been free money with almost no effort required.

someone convince me not to purchase time and eternity. It's like the more negative things hear about it the more I want to pick it up.
That game has been in my wishlist for some time now. I'll look at it and the idea of playing it is better than actually playing it I'm sure. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos about it and it always convinces me to avoid it for now. If I see if for $10/max, then I'll snag it. Right now it would be a foolish buy since my PS3 backlog is loaded. I say if you have nothing else to play and find it cheap, then go for it. If not, look for something else.

you guys got opinions on star ocean the last hope international? i recently picked it up from bestbuys b2g1 preowned sale. what is the gameplay mechanic like? your typical turned base rpg? i looked it up videos on youtube, but i cannot tell.

you guys got opinions on star ocean the last hope international? i recently picked it up from bestbuys b2g1 preowned sale. what is the gameplay mechanic like? your typical turned base rpg? i looked it up videos on youtube, but i cannot tell.
Real Time, much in the sense of Infinite Undiscovery. Inputting Square Square Square will make a combo and such.

The battle system is similar to a Tales game if you have ever played one of those.  A real time action combat system in a restricted area.  

I like the Star Ocean series, although I haven't beaten this one yet :( 

someone convince me not to purchase time and eternity. It's like the more negative things hear about it the more I want to pick it up.
It's basically the most amazing thing you'll ever play. It's sort of like if raw, unadulterated pleasure wormed its way into your brain through your ear canal and wrapped itself inextricably around your spine.

I figure that if negativity is making you want it, maybe some positivity will turn you off?

(Seriously though, from everything I've seen and heard the game is awful. Don't do it, man.)

Real Time, much in the sense of Infinite Undiscovery. Inputting Square Square Square will make a combo and such.

The battle system is similar to a Tales game if you have ever played one of those. A real time action combat system in a restricted area.

I like the Star Ocean series, although I haven't beaten this one yet :(
thanks, that is good to hear. from the youtube videos i seen, it sort of reminds me of final fantasy for some weird reason.

It's basically the most amazing thing you'll ever play. It's sort of like if raw, unadulterated pleasure wormed its way into your brain through your ear canal and wrapped itself inextricably around your spine.

I figure that if negativity is making you want it, maybe some positivity will turn you off?

(Seriously though, from everything I've seen and heard the game is awful. Don't do it, man.)
That....that actually made me laugh to the point where typing lol would be the truth. Brave sir on that (joke) description,

you looked up videos but still couldn't tell? were you drunk?

the gameplay is real time like the others have said. you have a limited number of points to spend for each move slot to assign your attacks to. sadly the moves are so incredibly expensive that at most you can't fill all the slots outside the same 2 cost moves. preferred star ocean 3 to 4 in both cast characters voice work customization and gameplay

4 is playable but the story and characters are really bad to the point that most people rec just reading the story from the encyclopedia.

So annoyed!!!!!!!
Could they be scamming you by returning a mint complete copy they had and keeping the sealed copy? For an older niche game it seems very strange to pay a premium for a sealed copy just to open it.

The sad part is you will almost assuredly lose if they open a case (assuming it was they eBay/Amazon).

Videos can be deceiving. I looked up a video of combat in Resonance of Fate so I decided to pick it up as my free used game (buy 2 get 1 free from Gamestop). Played it for around 30 minutes before I didn't even want to touch it ever again.

As for Star Ocean International, I honestly don't know why, but that game gave me motion sickness. Just couldn't play it again after that experience. I played it for around 30 minutes and couldn't anymore, and I've played a LOT of open world sandbox games like Fry Cry 3 or Assassin's Creed collecting all collectibles. 

As for Time and Eternity. I've yet to see anyone actually recommend that game. Heard it had a lot of problems. 

Could they be scamming you by returning a mint complete copy they had and keeping the sealed copy? For an older niche game it seems very strange to pay a premium for a sealed copy just to open it.

The sad part is you will almost assuredly lose if they open a case (assuming it was they eBay/Amazon).
I think I am going to try to find a way to issue a "no refunds once a sealed item has been opened" disclaimer.

I wrote this lengthy e-mail explaining why I didn't want to give a refund and saying I'd send it back to them (since it works perfectly) at my own expense. Their only reply was a "send it to: address". So I guess that's that.

Strange business, buying stuff online to sell to people... Originally I shipped it directly to the end-buyer, but now it's going back to the middleman instead.

I'm just glad it's over with.

Yeah, I wouldn't give them a full refund. $30 seems fair.

I personally wouldn't buy a PS2 game for $50 new just to play, maybe to keep as a collector's item on my shelf. I would have gone for the second hand route to play old games.

Speaking of Yakuza 2. I bought that game used from Gamestop several years ago. There was one spot that would glitch and won't let you progress in the game. I returned the game and got my money back. I think that was the only PS2 game I ever returned to Gamestop.

I still hope for Yakuza 1 and 2 HD for the PS3 to come to the U.S. region.

Does anyone know if the Japanese version of Yakuza 1 and 2 HD has English subtitles and/or voice overs for each game? I know PS2 Yakuza 1 had English voice actors, but not PS2 Yakuza 2 just English subtitles.

If so, I'd so import that game if the price was right.
Yeah, the whole thing was really weird. I don't get it.

I definitely wish we'd get Yakuza 1/2 HD, and Yakuza 5 and blah blah blah etc etc etc. I try not to think about it.

I actually liked the game. It's not game of the year or anything, but I think a lot of the negativity is grossly exaggerated. Like, Last Rebellion and Mugen Souls were so horrid I could not finish. With T&E I actually played through the whole thing. The combat system makes me think of Punch-Out!!

I actually liked the game. It's not game of the year or anything, but I think a lot of the negativity is grossly exaggerated. Like, Last Rebellion and Mugen Souls were so horrid I could not finish. With T&E I actually played through the whole thing. The combat system makes me think of Punch-Out!!
You guys are seriously making me wonder about my Mugen Souls purchase. It was lumped in with other purchases and I won't be playing it anytime soon since it's probably #10 on my backlog list, but it can't be that bad, could it??

But they'll probably just reply with another two sentence e-mail about how it's not good enough. Frankly I hope they never buy from me again. Their orders are frequently a pain to fulfill.
I think the obvious answer here is, if they're a pain to deal with, then why hadn't you blocked them yet?

Still waiting for a drop on Disgaea D2 myself (about 20-30 bucks would probably be a buy for me), have other Disgaea games to play though and only beat the first. 

You guys are seriously making me wonder about my Mugen Souls purchase. It was lumped in with other purchases and I won't be playing it anytime soon since it's probably #10 on my backlog list, but it can't be that bad, could it??
If you want to try for the plat then be prepared to break the disc due to frequent game freezes. As far as the actually game I found the story to be extremely lackluster and graphics looked very bad when not in battles imo.

I need:

Disgaea D2

Disgaea 3 Vita

Guided Fate Paradox

to drop in price. come onnnnn
Guided Fate Paradox is $40.99 at BB right now which means if you have GCU it would be $32.79 + tax.

It's a horrible game. There are plenty of better JRPGs on the PS3.

Long answer: The game tries very hard to be funny, but rarely succeeds and actually comes off as awkward on account of the bath scenes featuring underage girls. The game also doesn't run very well (the frame rate stutters constantly) and the combat mechanics are overly obtuse and not explained very good. Much of the game sends you on missions to make the world you're on your slave which involves tedious missions trying to enslave monsters using the main character's different personalities, a mechanic that is also very repetitive and inconsistent.

Short answer: Yes, it is that bad.

there certainly aren't plenty but there's more than enough that most wouldn't want to waste money on it just out of morbid curiosity.

Well, glad I didn't spend much on Mugen Souls and like I mentioned, Its way down my list of games to play. I still have Tales of Graces f, Tales of Xillia, and Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel to name a few before I'd even consider playing it. I'm in the middle of Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2, and Ys Seven right now as well.

I'm sure I'll eventually get to it, but it sounds like a game I'll either have to force myself into completing, or surprisingly enjoy it. I am a fan of NIS/Gust type games though.

Sorry, I replied to you, but I didn't actually reply to what you asked! It did occur to me that they might have a broken copy of the game and swap their broken disc for my working one. I never thought they might just be keeping the sealed one and sending me an unsealed one back. As dopy as the whole thing was, I don't think they (she) actually meant any harm.

Still waiting for a drop on Disgaea D2 myself (about 20-30 bucks would probably be a buy for me), have other Disgaea games to play though and only beat the first.
I've purchased every Disgaea game on PS2/3 so far, then ended up buying the PSP/Vita version as well. With D2, I think I might just skip it and wait for the Vita version (even though it hasn't been announced yet--but Disgaea 4 should be announced for N.A. pretty soon I'd imagine since the Japanese release date looms).

I think the obvious answer here is, if they're a pain to deal with, then why hadn't you blocked them yet?
Woops, copied quotes in out of order. I didn't know I could block people! I think I will do, if I can figure out how, although maybe they'd think twice before buying from me again now, too! Can you block people on half.com, or just on eBay? I rarely use eBay, but I've used half.com a lot.

Woops, copied quotes in out of order. I didn't know I could block people! I think I will do, if I can figure out how, although maybe they'd think twice before buying from me again now, too! Can you block people on half.com, or just on eBay? I rarely use eBay, but I've used half.com a lot.
I don't know about Half.com (though don't they use the same settings as eBay now that the two are merged?) but as for eBay, go to their Customer Support page and look up "block". The first result will have a link to your blocked buyer list.

I don't know about Half.com (though don't they use the same settings as eBay now that the two are merged?) but as for eBay, go to their Customer Support page and look up "block". The first result will have a link to your blocked buyer list.
Thanks, I'm gonna give it a try! These guys have bought a lot of stuff from me, but I've had issues shipping to their customers overseas, and this happened, and blah blah, and I think we'd both be happy going our separate ways. Plus I think they're weird, taking orders from people, then buying stuff from me instead and having me ship it directly to them. wtf is that even?

Edit: Okay, added them to my blocked list. Hope that works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back