Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
they were referring to its sub genre duh. srpgs are a different beast than typical rpg's and focus mostly on combat with everything else being limited to non existent
It's still a JRPG. His statement was worded as a correction.... and no, an RPG being tactical does not mean that other elements of the game are neglected.

It's still a JRPG. His statement was worded as a correction.... and no, an RPG being tactical does not mean that other elements of the game are neglected.
I know what a typical srpg is, while its considered a jrpg, the release statement made I believe during e3 was talking about the heavy strategies and tactics you will have to use and other things, hence why I mentioned it was a srpg

Freedom Wars has a release date now in NA and Europe:

October 28th, 2014 for NA

October 31st, 2014 for Europe

Not crazy looking forward to it as I kind of grow bored of monster hunting games after a few hours, but it's nice the release date is not a placeholder anymore.

Link

Freedom Wars has a release date now in NA and Europe:

October 28th, 2014 for NA

October 31st, 2014 for Europe

Not crazy looking forward to it as I kind of grow bored of monster hunting games after a few hours, but it's nice the release date is not a placeholder anymore.

Link
yah I am not looking forward to it, its got a ton of problems which is questionably if they get fixed despite the person would said they would fix them, story is not good and not straightforward with little to no direction for what you need to do, also without a guide, crafting is a nightmare you will get your moneys worth more from fantasy life than this

at least he got it, I heard amazon was selling collectors edition with out permission, got permission later. a lot of people who preordered aren't getting theirs because they over sold them, it seems like the ones who preordered when they got permission or are using standard shipping will probably get theres, same with the guide, pissed off they cant give me a guide. got lucky when I saw the email, when down to GS, got their only copy of the guide. Just gonna have to stop trying to save some money with amazon and go to GS since they have never not given me my preorder

Damn I didnt know there was a guide for Xillia 2 until I saw it in gamestop today.

Wonder what the chances of it actually being rare are....might place an order at Amazon even though its out of stock atm

Well Amazon just emailed me and told me that I will not be getting my Tales of Xillia 2 Strategy Guide today. Wish they gave me more notice then at 12 PM today. Its only $28.34 there as apposed to everywhere else selling it for $39.99. They ended up extending my Prime Membership by a month as compensation. I mean I have had the thing pre-ordered for a month, I just don't get it at all. You could still pre-order it as of yesterday and this morning but now its out of stock. I thought Amazon was really good at not taking more pre-orders than what stock they had. Now I have to wait and I move at the end of this month to a new apartment. Hopefully it ships before I move..........

Should I just cancel my order and get the guide at GS? 

Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters will be coming in early 2015 on PS Vita and PS3. A visual novel with strategy RPG combat, Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters sees players taking on the role of a ghost hunter and uncovering the mystery of those who wander as spirits. http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/08/19/tokyo-twilight-ghost-hunters-coming-in-2015-available-for-pre-order/99766/

The release date is February 24, 2015

PS3 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MUTAU40/?tag=viglink21127-20

Vita - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MUTAU6I/?tag=viglink21127-20

Damn I didnt know there was a guide for Xillia 2 until I saw it in gamestop today.

Wonder what the chances of it actually being rare are....might place an order at Amazon even though its out of stock atm
prima unless asked to by the game company, generally only does an initial run, they have been pushing getting an eguide through them instead but getting the physical gives you a code for an e guide also, and since they are usually reluctant to even do jprgs it might be, ni no kuni was a collectors edition only print with no paperback because of their stance, amazon might get them to print more but it depends on how many they want made up

This won't help most people, but Gamer's Club sign-ups included a coupon for 50% off a guide. I hadn't used mine from renewing a few months ago, so I used mine on Xillia 2's guide Sunday.

This won't help most people, but Gamer's Club sign-ups included a coupon for 50% off a guide. I hadn't used mine from renewing a few months ago, so I used mine on Xillia 2's guide Sunday.
I have mine and haven't used it... but I am to lazy to go to best buy to use them... If I could use them online it would totally be bought though :/

I just got the ToX2 guide from Gamestop for $15.99 after PUR and a "$20 off any guide" coupon (~11,000 PUR points, so about $11 worth of points) since I'm starting the game tomorrow.

I cancelled it from Amazon and picked both my CE Tales of Xilla 2 and the Guide up and got 25% off the guide because I purchased them both at the same time.

yah I am not looking forward to it, its got a ton of problems which is questionably if they get fixed despite the person would said they would fix them, story is not good and not straightforward with little to no direction for what you need to do, also without a guide, crafting is a nightmare you will get your moneys worth more from fantasy life than this
Ah Fantasy Life looks so fun! I can't wait for it. It's going to be my go to pick up and play game for a while. Also on that Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters i'll pre-order it for Vita. Any visual novels on consoles I mainly support, and this one looks a bit amateur but could be fun.

Edit: Also don't forget if you're ever getting the Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment game there is a free costume pack available till November 19th, 2014. Don't Gilby it.

Link

Ah Fantasy Life looks so fun! I can't wait for it. It's going to be my go to pick up and play game for a while. Also on that Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters i'll pre-order it for Vita. Any visual novels on consoles I mainly support, and this one looks a bit amateur but could be fun.

Edit: Also don't forget if you're ever getting the Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment game there is a free costume pack available till November 19th, 2014. Don't Gilby it.

Link
Im waiting for the sept patch. Got a funny feeling.

THATS RIGHT 30 more hours of games time And now its 30% off. (or even 50%) off. Im waiting till then before even thinking about buying it

srpg's don't include most features common of regular rpgs and on occasions that they do its more limited. save points, exploration, towns, voice work, dungeons, puzzles ect.

I just got the ToX2 guide from Gamestop for $15.99 after PUR and a "$20 off any guide" coupon (~11,000 PUR points, so about $11 worth of points) since I'm starting the game tomorrow.
I didn't know that coupon existed. Thanks for the heads up, I will try to track one down at Gamestop tomorrow.

Link
Thanks. Don't know if I'll pick it up, but it's nice to have it just in case.

Im waiting for the sept patch. Got a funny feeling.

THATS RIGHT 30 more hours of games time And now its 30% off. (or even 50%) off. Im waiting till then before even thinking about buying it
Double thanks on the DLC items. I've been playing the Taiwanese copy of SAO and love it. The patch already rolled to mine, but I haven't even started on it. Like the sheep I am, I bought the US release of SAO today. I couldn't talk myself out of it and somehow reasoned my wallet open...

Double thanks on the DLC items. I've been playing the Taiwanese copy of SAO and love it. The patch already rolled to mine, but I haven't even started on it. Like the sheep I am, I bought the US release of SAO today. I couldn't talk myself out of it and somehow reasoned my wallet open...
I had to buy it day 1 too. I skipped the foreign release since there was plenty of other stuff to play until today. It also helped I traded in some cheap games from the Amazon craziness to pay for it. Giving up X1 Tomb Raider and Ryse (bought both for $13 total) for a $50 PSN card, not a bad deal to me. Enjoying it so far too. Wish they could have added in the English voices, but that might have pushed the game's cost up to like $50-60. lol

Did the patch automatically download onto your Vita?

It might be worded as "Free Strategy Guide (Up to $20 Value)", but it's still just a "$20 off one guide" coupon.
I could not find this earlier when I was looking unti I searched for strategy in the rewards search. Why must the power up rewards site be such crap? Come to think of it so is my best buy...

Anyway, this guide obviously had a very low inventory shipped to stores. I have roughly 30 gamestops in a 20 minute driving radius and 3 had a copy. Luckily one was only about 10 minutes away.

Look, it's Japan's Godzilla Game. 

Hollywood Godzilla is in it. 

image_thumb29.png

I really enjoyed Demon Gaze. Combat is really simple, some of the dungeons can get really large. Just started Mind Zero. Enjoying so far, but I'm only an hour or so into it.

Some people criticize the simple combat in both, but I liked 'em.

never could get into mind zero even upping your stats you did no more damage.

tempted on that ART game tomorrow but just not sure i want to toss 40 bucks into a game i can not sell off.
Hmm so one vote for Demon gaze and one neg for mind zero. Anyone else? Or have any suggestions? I think conception II is a dungeon crawler too. Maybe i should ask in the vita thread specifically. Thought since i was specifically looking for a dungeon crawler this would be the better thread to ask though

I'm kind of falling out of love with anime now....I mainly stick to a few genres for new shows each season. Most of the time the manga is better than the anime, so i'll just read them. Just my humble opinion of course. I know anime is adapted from many different things but if those different things are available usually they convey the stories better.

I mainly just watch Romance, some slice of life, some comedy and harem now and then since I expect nothing of harem anime half the time and it's usually fun to watch.
Ive fallen out of love with anime twice now. Once YEARS ago. Didn't watch anything for years and years. Then i got back into it.. forget the year. Toradora and Spice and Wolf pulled me back in when i d.loaded some random stuff (SW was airing at the time) Recently ive fallen out of love with it again. Havent watched anything the past year or two really. I just got way too burned out on all the stupid T&A boobie shows. These days, like you, i mostly just read manga. Im actually re-watching Escaflowne right now with a friend who never saw it. Man i miss the old hand drawn art style from the 90's

Played very little of SAO so far... it's meh right now. I don't understand how that one review gave it a 9/10. The combat system so far comsists of me mashing circle. When Risk gets up to level 5, hit down on d-pad. After partner does something, press up on d-pad. The other skills seem pretty moot, unless your partner asks you to do them (i.e. stun).

Also...
game is an obvious cash grab intoducing Leafa and Sinon into this point and time in SAO (Kirito just beat Heathcliff) and explaining it as a simple glitch.

edit: I will need to give the game more time to see if there is more depth to it, but looking real bleak so far...

Hmm so one vote for Demon gaze and one neg for mind zero. Anyone else? Or have any suggestions? I think conception II is a dungeon crawler too. Maybe i should ask in the vita thread specifically. Thought since i was specifically looking for a dungeon crawler this would be the better thread to ask though
I haven't played Mind Zero, but I have played Demon Gaze and it is some great fun. That said, I'll mention a couple problems I had with it to help you decide if you should get it.

Difficulty:

The game's difficulty curve is unbalanced. I played the entire game on the highest difficulty and, for the most part, it was a breeze. This is not too brag, but I am saying that once I found a strategy that generally worked, I pretty much played more than half of the game on auto, destroying everything with little problem. At the beginning, though, the game is the perfect challenge. You don't have all of your party members and you must manage your resources in order to come back to the inn to heal with rent, buy needed items, and purchase rooms and new party members. This challenge eventually dies off once you are making more gold than you could possibly need and acquire all your party members. Not even the rising rent costs really affected me that much. Once I got to the final challenge though, the difficulty skyrocketed and it was refreshing, but felt a little late.

Pacing:

Pacing is an issue for the beginning of the game because of how long it takes to acquire enough gold to purchase another room and your next party member. Everything requires gold, so you'll be going back and forth, probably barely breaking even. The game can feel like it's going as fast as molasses. Not only that, but there are three types of enemy encounters. While random encounters aren't that frequent, there are fixed encounters which respawn after you return to the inn. This means you'll be fighting alot just to get to where you need to be, but then you'll realize you need to fully heal, and thus, must return to the inn. Luckily, this issue dies off after getting a full party.

If you want to try a new party member/class, you must level them up from level 1. This can take awhile characters need a ton of experience to level up in this game. It's best to try new things early instead of later because you will have to grind if you want to try different party members.

Fan Service:

You already know if this is your thing or not. It's the foundation for the humor in the game, but since you'll mostly be dungeon crawling, it doesn't pop up as much as reviews say it does. Plus, it's pretty silly/funny.

Overall, even with its flaws, it's very fun. There is even some hefty post-game content, so the game doesn't just end!

Got my Xillia 2 Collectors shipped to me the other day from Best Buy.  Package in big box, check.  Padding in box, check.  Padding actually put in box to avoid damage, not so much.  Why make 90% of the effort and then drop it at the end?  Just roll the stupid thing in Bubblewrap and call it a day.  I called Best Buy, knowing there would be no replacement, and they shipped out the replacement the same day.  Very surprised.  Asked the guy to note to shipping guys to actually pad the product (made me feel better but we all know they won't read it).  We will see if number two comes in better than number one.  Note to self, pick up in store next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back