Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone own Y's & Tales of Hearts R? I only want 1, but don't know which is better.
It depends on the reason that you only want one of them. If it's because you don't want to spend the money on both, Ys is cheaper. If you're getting one now and one later, then the physical version of Tales has a higher chance of being hard to get later on so you should get it first. If you just want the better of the two, then go with the game series you like better (or the one that you think you would).

That probably wasn't much help.

For anyone in the northwest, Fred Meyer is running some vita games on sale w/coupon today. Picked up Danganronpa2 and x/x-2 for 40$ out the door.

It depends on the reason that you only want one of them. If it's because you don't want to spend the money on both, Ys is cheaper. If you're getting one now and one later, then the physical version of Tales has a higher chance of being hard to get later on so you should get it first. If you just want the better of the two, then go with the game series you like better (or the one that you think you would).

That probably wasn't much help.
I've never played games from either series, but I only need 1 because I'll be focusing on Drakengard 3, then Lightning Returns, so I don't want an unnecessary backlog. I currently have ToHR still sealed, and wasn't sure if I should return it.

Anyway, thanks to both of you.

That Tales of sale is actually pretty good. At first I thought it was B1G1 40% off, but it's actually 40% off both, which is practically B1G1 free. Not bad at all especially for ToH:R.

Haven't played either version, but I was just researching differences between the two. Everything I read says the load times are much better. Makes sense since it's running off a cartridge instead of a disc.

That Tales of sale is actually pretty good. At first I thought it was B1G1 40% off, but it's actually 40% off both, which is practically B1G1 free. Not bad at all especially for ToH:R.
Im trying to buy just two but doesnt give me the 40% off :/ how you proceed to get the 40% off?

EDIT: "Sale does not include collector's editions."

You can disregard the rest of this now. :p

If it's 40% off both couldn't you do something like this:

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles $20
Tales of Xillia 2 Collector's Edition $90

Total = $110 -> 40% off ($44) -> $66!

Not bad. You can take the edition that's already on sale for 90, get it for $24 less and get an extra game for "free"

I didn't actually try to check out to see if it works. They may have excluded the collector's edition.

If it works I'm really tempted to just return the $20 Tales of Xillia 2 I got and then instead of getting Xillia 2 + Symphonia for $40 I could get Symphonia and ToX2 Collector's edition for $66 :eek:

If it's 40% off both couldn't you do something like this:

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles $20
Tales of Xillia 2 Collector's Edition $90

Total = $110 -> 40% off ($44) -> $66!

Not bad. You can take the edition that's already on sale for 90, get it for $24 less and get an extra game for "free"

I didn't actually try to check out to see if it works. They may have excluded the collector's edition.
they did exclude collectors editions sadly
Trying to buy tales of xillia and tales of graces f. But the 40%off is not working 0_0 why???

I got P4Arena Ultimax PS3 from Amazon during this $39.99 price period. No bonuses....ah lame!!!!! I want those cards....I'm likely returning it unless I can get those somehow. Buyer beware though for sure and I hope if someone has ordered from them during this time, they get the bonuses.

I got P4Arena Ultimax PS3 from Amazon during this $39.99 price period. No bonuses....ah lame!!!!! I want those cards....I'm likely returning it unless I can get those somehow. Buyer beware though for sure and I hope if someone has ordered from them during this time, they get the bonuses.
Whoa. Good thing I didn't bite earlier. Is the P4AU stuff first print? Or a limited edition kinda thing?

How are returns at amazon? You have to pay return shipping right? Was thinking of returning something but if it's a hassle or I end up losing out, I'll probably just keep it.

Whoa. Good thing I didn't bite earlier. Is the P4AU stuff first print? Or a limited edition kinda thing?

How are returns at amazon? You have to pay return shipping right? Was thinking of returning something but if it's a hassle or I end up losing out, I'll probably just keep it.
Likely depend on which warehouse sent it.

Thanks for this info! Just got home from being out of town for the holidays. Got Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Hearts R for $40! I am ecstatic

They are going to make sure the next one they send out has the bonuses. I do have to send back the previous one but eh.....what can I do. I have Persona Q, so I pretty much "need" those bonuses imho.

Edit: First run bonus for cards/bop bag

Also for Asmith906 below Bandai web store is having a buy 2+ games from their store and get 40% off. It uses Amazon shipping now so not bad.

grabbed symphonia chronicles and tales of hearts for $39
That is amazing! Someone in an earlier post said you could connect your amazon account. I didn't even use a bamco account. I signed in and everything with my amazon prime and got the deal. I am thankful for this thread. Got 2 games on my wishlist for a heck of a deal!

How good are the Tales of Xillia games? I haven't played any of the tales games yet.  I have xillia 1 in my backlog and just picked up Xillia 2.  I think I also have Legendia, Abyss, and Vesperia untouched in my backlog as well.

I probably won't be touching any of these anytime soon.  I'm play Ys Memories of Celceta on my vita at the moment.  I'd rather not think of how much else is in my backlog.

My favorite bonus swag from all the LE/First print run games this year has got to be the Teddy Bop Bag from P4AU first run. Yeah I know it's not practical, but it's great to hit every now and then to relieve stress. Everything else is either too gawdy or useless pieces of paper.

the problem with that video is some ps2's/ps3's run faster than others.  My load times are bare minimum 3 seconds faster than that videos was at the first part.  What I'd like to see is the difference between the 3ds and ps2 versions on field dungeons like the marsh.  As that's where the biggest issue was in the ps2 version.  It was laggy as all get out there.

How good are the Tales of Xillia games? I haven't played any of the tales games yet. I have xillia 1 in my backlog and just picked up Xillia 2. I think I also have Legendia, Abyss, and Vesperia untouched in my backlog as well.

I probably won't be touching any of these anytime soon. I'm play Ys Memories of Celceta on my vita at the moment. I'd rather not think of how much else is in my backlog.
They are good games, but I think they pale in comparison to previous Tales games. I think Symphonia, Vesperia, Graces F are all superior titles. Just to name the more recent ones. Xillia games just have large, bland, and uninspired dungeons and fields. Just felt like they tried to rush the game through to release to fit their quota. I think both could have been much better. But they are still good games and better than most standard RPGs that hit the market.

I agree with the above.  I think the biggest issue people have with the first xillia anyway is its very much lacking in content that its predecessors had standard. Tales games from xillia on have been stripping content more than you kill vamps in akiba's trip. 

It's not even fair to compare every game to vesperia but at the very least we should be seeing tales of abyss level content. In game costumes, more fleshed out character skill sets, cameo battle and a not stupid arena dungeons that aren't just copy pasted areas and have actual puzzle solving. 

Xillia 2 remedies some of that but brought in other issues like little to no control over party set up which is the biggest back step in the series and sadly seems to be carrying over to zestiria.  Even jpn hates it so I don't know why the hell they think its a good idea to do it again let alone with 2 fixed characters.

Then there was the whole silent protagonist issue.  Tales of games are not built with one in mind this isn't persona 3/4 (and even then people prefer troll narukami).  If you want to do dialogue choices fine knock yourself out but symphonia already proved that you could have them and not have a silent protagonist. Tales of games have alot of voice work and talking back and forth. Having a silent protagonist is just wasting space and kills skits.

How good are the Tales of Xillia games? I haven't played any of the tales games yet. I have xillia 1 in my backlog and just picked up Xillia 2. I think I also have Legendia, Abyss, and Vesperia untouched in my backlog as well.

I probably won't be touching any of these anytime soon. I'm play Ys Memories of Celceta on my vita at the moment. I'd rather not think of how much else is in my backlog.
Xillia is good, The biggest problem is you have to play the game twice to see both sides of the story, even though they're connected most of the time, but Tales games have pretty good New Game + options all around, so it's not so bad. It also got annoying with the DLC, no game I'm not spending $3 per costume for costumes that you used to have in the game for free, Plus, the costumes and accessories all have clipping issues with the character models anyway. That got on my nerves. Other than that, the characters were great, the combat was wonderful, and the leveling system is just really cool.

As for the others, Legendia feels oldschool, and the combat is nothing like the newer games. Abyss IS old, but has one of the most fleshed out and depressing worlds in gaming history. Vesperia is a definite contender for best game in the series, but we got the lesser version while the Japanese kept the better version for themselves. Jerks.

Thanks.  In for a Hearts and Symphonia.  Wow, I've basically bought nothing but Tales games this Black Friday weekend.

...And I'm okay with that.  

But if Abyss 3DS goes on sale for stupidly cheap somewhere tomorrow, I'm declaring the universe just messing with me.

The Amazon Black Friday sale, of course. Well I suppose now it's the Cyber Monday sale.
This is confusing. The 16gb Vita memory card sale says it doesn't start til 4pm, but right under that it tells me that I already missed the deal on it. I wonder which it is.

I have both. I'm not too far into ToH R yet, only a few hours, but it's more appealing to me than the Ys game was right from the start.
Never played a Tales game before, but the gameplay clips online haven't really sold me on it. I get your frustrations over Ys MoC, too. Bought it on release with the fancy LE, and have yet to beat it. It hasn't really grabbed me like I thought it would back when the hype was rolling for it pre-release. Too many tired tropes and the gameplay is just okay. Both Ys and from what I can gather from Tales of Hearts look and feel like a lesser version of Star Ocean: The Second Story battle system-wise.

I had more fun playing through Ys MoC than I've had with any Tales game aside from Vesperia. I tend to get 5-10 hours into a Tales game and get really bored. I have all the games released in the US but only managed to finish Graces F (lol) and Vesperia. The rest are in 10-hours-in purgatory. They're all so formulaic.

The better Tales games have combat systems that reward you for not using the broken moves and mechanics and so do the Star Ocean games.  Granted, you could easily abuse a few things in Vesperia and that one particular feature in Abyss but if you are willing to experiment with the content while making sure the game has some difficulty then the game will feel a lot more complete.

Vesperia does this in spades if you want it to - even Symphonia had a lot to experiment with.  It seems like you really have to work and weaken your party to make Xillia feel that way.  It makes me think about playing Xillia for the 1st time first and then doing another run in Vesperia.

I absolutely love SO3's battle system and the Tales games, Ys games, and SO4 didn't scratch that itch so far, but I would honestly say that Vesperia came close and I am dying to see if Graces F can.

So I just checked my bank account and it looks like I was charged twice for Symphonia Chronicles. I'm going ot try and contact Bandai. Just giving a heads up to make sure you guys didn't have the same thing happen to you.

This is confusing. The 16gb Vita memory card sale says it doesn't start til 4pm, but right under that it tells me that I already missed the deal on it. I wonder which it is.

Never played a Tales game before, but the gameplay clips online haven't really sold me on it. I get your frustrations over Ys MoC, too. Bought it on release with the fancy LE, and have yet to beat it. It hasn't really grabbed me like I thought it would back when the hype was rolling for it pre-release. Too many tired tropes and the gameplay is just okay. Both Ys and from what I can gather from Tales of Hearts look and feel like a lesser version of Star Ocean: The Second Story battle system-wise.
Yeah, the Ys games tend to be kind of cliche ridden, and not like the games that set up cliches just to subvert them later. I kind of give Ys a pass on it, because they invented half of those cliches to begin with and they're the only people really playing them straight anymore. Is it possible to be so cliched that you become unique?

So I just checked my bank account and it looks like I was charged twice for Symphonia Chronicles. I'm going ot try and contact Bandai. Just giving a heads up to make sure you guys didn't have the same thing happen to you.
Thanks for the heads-up. Same thing happened to me with Tales of hearts R. Check your accounts CAGs just to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back