Japanese Niche Games Deals Thread: Atlus, NISA, Aksys, XSeed and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kndy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The following thread are for niche-based Japanese video games by smaller companies such as Atlus, NIS America, AKSYS, XSEED, D3 Publisher, KOEI/TECMO, SNK Playmore, Ignition, Natsume or any sweet deals for those who are passionate and hardcore about Japanese video games even from the bigger companies like SquareEnix, Sega, Bandai Namco, etc.

But to avoid any messiness of links everywhere, we'll focus on games within the last 2-3 years as opposed to the last five-ten. [although, if you do see older titles on sale, please post them regardless].

The theme of these deals are Japanese video games distributed in the US by the smaller niche companies. The thread is literally for those who love Japanese games.
There will be a few Korean games that you may see on this list, such as the "DJ Max" games.

If you see a deal, please post!

NOTE: Please check the most recent page for the latest deals.

And I want to thank many of you in advance who submit their deals and their support!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='johnoralex']The last story is coming out August 14th and on top of the art book if you preorder it you get a soundtrack as well.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/11/the-last-story-north-american-release-date-announced[/QUOTE]

Just want to verify.. do gamestop and best buy both get the pre order bonus stuff? Artbook/soundtrack, slipcover, ect? I ordered a copy at each instead of Amazon because im sick and tired of getting collectors stuff from them in fucking envelopes all smashed to hell. However neither gamestop nor best buy show any kind of pre order bonus last time i checked. Id be pissed if both copies were just a regular edition. I think i recall someone saying all first print runs will have this stuff, but i wanted to double check since i cant find that post

*sigh* i dont think were ever getting Pandoras Tower, are we?

[quote name='apenguindidit']NISA finally announced the Mugen Soul pre-order for their Limited Editions. Like I posted before, the price points are $64.99 and $99.99 with the figure set.

http://store.nisamerica.com/Exclusives/Mugen-Souls-Limited-Edition
http://store.nisamerica.com/Preorders/Mugen-Souls-Limited-Edition-plus-Figure-Set[/QUOTE]

hmm... wasn't this the game that they decided to censor the US release because of the loli bath scenes or something? The one that sparked off the huge flamewar? I think so from what AugustAPC mentions.

Is it still going to definitely be censored? If so i'll be passing. I dont support censorship in game/movie releases. If the games really good, maybe i'll get a used copy later so the publisher gets no money for it. Too bad that ultra edition looks kinda neat

*edit* i think this was the game im thinking of since it looks like another falme war happened and got trimmed while i was reading the last page

[quote name='Zaku77']Agarest 2's LE was so lame. That was also my 800th game, so it was kind of a let down for the set to be so shitty! lol[/QUOTE]

hmm.. is it? I actually canceled my preorder for it because it looked like amazon got a huge ammount in. I was keeping an eye on it to see if it would be in my gold box. Do you think its worth waiting even longer for a price drop for the LE? THink it will drop to 40 or 50 bucks anytime soon? they have over 999 copies right now and they pulled it for a while from ordering. It was under review, which usually happens when they get tons of returns.. most likely from their shitty ass packaging >_< BTW: what do you mean your 800th game?

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Keeping a collection of sealed video games has got to be one of the biggest wastes of money there is.[/QUOTE]

Holy fuck have i wasted a lot of money then =P Seriously its all relative. Keeping sealed star wars figures seems pointless to a lot of people too, people just like doing stuff like that. Some people collect classic cars and never drive them. Who the fuck are you to judge what other peple want to do with their money?

Hell at this point though my backlog has gotten so massive its really just more of a collection than stuff i will ever realistically play

^_^x KD

I do play the games I buy sealed. I either buy a super cheap used copy or like on the psp, download it. Though for instance I finally got around to beating Ys Oath in Felghana for the psp which I bought sealed (still do) when it first came out back in 2010. So I do get to the games, it's just further down the road lol

[quote name='Kenshindono']Holy fuck have i wasted a lot of money then =P Seriously its all relative. Keeping sealed star wars figures seems pointless to a lot of people too, people just like doing stuff like that. Some people collect classic cars and never drive them. Who the fuck are you to judge what other peple want to do with their money?

Hell at this point though my backlog has gotten so massive its really just more of a collection than stuff i will ever realistically play[/QUOTE]
:applause::applause::applause:

[quote name='snakeinthegrass']Anyone have more details on the Last Virtue (999 Sequel) preorder bonus?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RabbitSuit']Hope it's another one of those watches.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sayu']Yeah, it's another watch. Apparently it's going to be "more wearable" than the last one though. Whatever that means.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! This is the first time I've heard these news.

I really hope if Gamestop carries it they won't make it an online only pre-order bonus deal like with the first watch.

If that's the case, I'd go through Amazon if I can't beg my friend to order it for me through Aksys's website.

Kind of want to support Aksys as much as I can. Shoot, I'd probably pre-order it twice.

One for the 3DS and one for the Vita, wearing one of them and keeping the other sealed.

I tried wearing the watch from the 999, but it barely fit my wrist comfortably.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Aksys's online store. If you're not swimming in GS/AMZ credit, that's a good route to go.

Kinda sad that the watch is going to be "more wearable". I'd just love the feel of the metal on the red one, even if I don't wear it. Hope this one is as well made.

I realize the crowd here in this thread is more console oriented, but XSeed has a couple of their Ys games for the PC on sale right now on the Steam summer sale.

Ys Origin is current 60% off @ $7.99. It's on a flash sale that will only be lasting for about another 4 hours as I post this. After that is going up to 40% off for the duration of the sale.

Ys Oath in Felghana is 66% off @ $5.09. That sale is lasting for the duration of the Steam summer sale until July 23rd.

Both are translations of the PC versions of these games that came out a number of years ago in Japan so neither are particularly taxing on modern PCs and most people should have no difficulty running them even if their PC is not the latest and greatest.

Also note that there is no voice acting in these versions. Dialog is text only.

[quote name='Kenshindono']hmm.. is it? I actually canceled my preorder for it because it looked like amazon got a huge ammount in. I was keeping an eye on it to see if it would be in my gold box. Do you think its worth waiting even longer for a price drop for the LE? THink it will drop to 40 or 50 bucks anytime soon? they have over 999 copies right now and they pulled it for a while from ordering. It was under review, which usually happens when they get tons of returns.. most likely from their shitty ass packaging >_< BTW: what do you mean your 800th game?[/QUOTE]

The book that it comes with is alright, but the blow up doll *sigh* and the damn hand towel are really, really stupid. I would have preferred some DLC, and a soundtrack or something (along with the book). The LE for the first game went up in value, so did Zero for PS3, and it looks like Zero's CE on 360 is barely any less. It looks like you should just get it if you want it. I mean it was my 800th game in my collection. I randomly decided to go through my spread sheets and add everything up, and I noticed that I was like 10 away. This prompted me to start mentally counting down to 800 as I bought things and Agarest 2 was number 800!

[quote name='Kenshindono']Holy fuck have i wasted a lot of money then =P Seriously its all relative. Keeping sealed star wars figures seems pointless to a lot of people too, people just like doing stuff like that. Some people collect classic cars and never drive them. Who the fuck are you to judge what other peple want to do with their money?

Hell at this point though my backlog has gotten so massive its really just more of a collection than stuff i will ever realistically play

^_^x KD[/QUOTE]

Did I judge anyone? All I said was it's a waste of money. Video games almost never appreciate in value, so what's the point? To look at the cover art? But if you want to waste your money in that way, more power to you.

That is, unfortunately, true. There really aren't all that many that actually appreciate. It's easily a 10/1 for those that don't/do. Even the ones that do are usually not by that much. (You can't just go by the BINs on ebay that sit there forever and never sell! lol)

[quote name='AugustAPC']Perhaps he intends to sell them later on?[/QUOTE]

Unless he intends to use a time machine, most video games aren't good investments. Of course you can generally tell which ones are good to flip and which ones aren't worth the risk.

Kingdoms of Amalur is one. Diablo 3 was another.

No one said people who collect sealed games use it as investments 10 years down the road. I do it for the hobby, thrill, enjoyment of acquiring them in the best condition possible. I don't VGA grade my games (that's for another thread). I just like collecting them. Simple as that. No monetary gain in sight

[quote name='storino03']No one said people who collect sealed games use it as investments 10 years down the road. I do it for the hobby, thrill, enjoyment of acquiring them in the best condition possible. I don't VGA grade my games (that's for another thread). I just like collecting them. Simple as that. No monetary gain in sight[/QUOTE]

I didn't know finding sealed games was difficult. I thought all you had to do was pre-order or buy it new somewhere.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I didn't know finding sealed games was difficult. I thought all you had to do was pre-order or buy it new somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Very true. If I need a sealed copy of Black label FF VII - all I have to do is "pre-order or buy it new somewhere"

[quote name='DanteWarrior']Very true. If I need a sealed copy of Black label FF VII - all I have to do is "pre-order or buy it new somewhere"[/QUOTE]

If you're looking for sealed games from more than one generation ago, you're pretty much shit out of luck.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']If you're looking for sealed games from more than one generation ago, you're pretty much shit out of luck.[/QUOTE]

No, they are very easy to acquire. You just need to be willing to spend good money.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']If you're looking for sealed games from more than one generation ago, you're pretty much shit out of luck.[/QUOTE]

No, you're shit out of $300+ dollars.

[quote name='Kenshindono']

Is it still going to definitely be censored? If so i'll be passing. I dont support censorship in game/movie releases. If the games really good, maybe i'll get a used copy later so the publisher gets no money for it. Too bad that ultra edition looks kinda neat

[/QUOTE]

But you own some censored/edited games, such as Shadow Hearts Covenant

[quote name='62t']But you own some censored/edited games, such as Shadow Hearts Covenant[/QUOTE]

Yep. Almost every Japanese game that has ever been localized contains a minimum of censored/edited dialogue. It's just a fact of life and frankly, I don't think the particular minigame in Mugen Souls is anything I would try to make a first amendment argument about. It certainly doesn't make the game better and none of us want to be exposed to that creepiness.

[quote name='storino03']Anyone know of Aksys Games announced the preorder watch bonus for Zero Virtue's Last Resort on Vita and 3DS?[/QUOTE]

They announced that there will be a watch during Anime Expo that there will be a more "wearable" watch as a pre-order bonus. Details on it though is still not released from Aksys yet.

[quote name='Booj']In for one Limted edition Figure set. My wallet hates me.[/QUOTE]

Same here! :eek:

Hopefully I'll get around to playing this one within a year or so. :p

You shouldn't think of it as an extra $35. Any fan of NISA, or the developers, it should be a no-brainer. I like that they are exclusively selling it on their website to ensure they get as much profit as possible.

[quote name='storino03']You shouldn't think of it as an extra $35. Any fan of NISA, or the developers, it should be a no-brainer. I like that they are exclusively selling it on their website to ensure they get as much profit as possible.[/QUOTE]

Of course it's an extra $35 just like the LE is extra $ over the regular edition. Some of us don't collect that kind of stuff and just the plain game is enough. Some of us have an interest in the LE and don't think the extra $35 is worth it for some figures. Just because you don't buy the figures doesn't make you less of a fan of the developers or NISA, it just means you made a decision about what you think a particular item or experience is worth.

I personally got tired of the Collector's Edition items that came with games. I just want the plain game by itself. I don't have anyway of efficiently selling the items, and the items simply don't appeal to me. They just collect dust.

I wasn't always like this. I had a bunch of collectors editions. But after a long while and cleaning up my room, I realized that they ended up being junk. The Street Fighter x Tekken Collector's Edition probably was the straw that broke the Camel's back. All the stuff in there is pretty much useless.

[quote name='bojay1997']Of course it's an extra $35 just like the LE is extra $ over the regular edition. Some of us don't collect that kind of stuff and just the plain game is enough. Some of us have an interest in the LE and don't think the extra $35 is worth it for some figures. Just because you don't buy the figures doesn't make you less of a fan of the developers or NISA, it just means you made a decision about what you think a particular item or experience is worth.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying someone is less of a fan if they choose a lesser "standard copy". I was simply saying, if someone is on the fence of getting just the LE or the LE + Figure set, that you should look at it differently than it being $35 extra. There are more ways to see things than the cost differences.

[quote name='storino03']I'm not saying someone is less of a fan if they choose a lesser "standard copy". I was simply saying, if someone is on the fence of getting just the LE or the LE + Figure set, that you should look at it differently than it being $35 extra. There are more ways to see things than the cost differences.[/QUOTE]

Of course, there are positives and negatives. Personally, I pre-ordered the LE but I have zero interest in the figure set. I don't collect figures and I have zero interest in them, so to me, they are just $35 plus tax for something I won't ever use and don't want. Other people might want them for a variety of reasons including resale. There's nothing wrong with thinking about them as $35 or as something amazing. That was my only point.

[quote name='storino03']No one said people who collect sealed games use it as investments 10 years down the road. I do it for the hobby, thrill, enjoyment of acquiring them in the best condition possible. I don't VGA grade my games (that's for another thread). I just like collecting them. Simple as that. No monetary gain in sight[/QUOTE]

I agree no one is claiming this, but if you think about it, buying games, (certain games that is) as an investment makes perfect sense. Especially if you think long term. In ten years we will be well into the next generation. There are plenty of games out there, (primarily story driven games, popular series like Resident Evil, and RPG's) that will at least double their value, if not triple or quadruple their value. If you know what to buy right now, and you keep it sealed, video games can be a better investment than any small dollar stocks, and especially with the market the way it is these days.

You can basically count on a sealed game at the very minimum retaining its value. If you know what games to buy, you can count on them doubling their value, easily. The key here is time though. You have to wait. They are like bonds in that they gain value with time, but they are also like stocks in that if you can sell at the right time, (holidays, new releases in a series, etc.) you can maximize your return in a shorter amount of time.

Of course, this goes back to the whole idea of how you look at games. What good does a sealed game do for you if you are a normal gamer? Well, it doesn't do any good. If you are an investor and a gamer, then you can have the best of both worlds, provided you have the funds to buy games to play as well as games to keep sealed.

It usually isn't hard to determine what games will command top dollar in several years. Real quick, basically any Nintendo main character game, (Mario, Zelda, etc.) quality niche RPG's, (Xenoblade Chronicles w/ art book sealed in 10 years will probably be worth a small fortune) and obviously quality sealed limited/collector's editions.

Recently Best Buy and Newegg have been basically giving games away at ridiculous prices. If you do the CAG thing and only buy those, especially sub-$15 quality games, you can probably quadruple your investment in a few years for each one if you keep it sealed.

I completely understand that many people frown upon this sort of behavior, but it is a legitimate way to invest. I recently met an older gentleman who realized this many years ago, around the SNES era. Ever since then he bought up popular games when they went on sale and kept them sealed in a room, basically untouched after purchase. He recently sold a sealed copy of Magic Knight Rayearth for Saturn for $450. He still has Chrono Trigger, FFII, FFIII, and Secret of Mana for SNES all sealed. Those four games alone, I would venture to guess, could net him anywhere from $1000-2000 today. But he is holding on to them. He also has in his collection Panzer Dragoon Saga sealed. I imagine that single game could bring him close to $2000 by itself if he found the right buyer. His entire retirement is centered around selling off a game or two at a time when he needs money. He has probably at least 1,000 games, and he stopped buying in the PS2 and Gamecube era.

Since meeting him last year when I bought a copy of Dragon Force for Saturn sealed on Craigslist from him, I too have begun to buy quality games and keep them sealed. A few months ago Amazon had a Buy 2 Get 1 sale, where I picked up, among other games, The World Ends With You. It apparently just went out of print and is already hovering around $40, USED, on eBay. In 10-15 years that game will certainly be worth several hundred dollars sealed. This is especially true as we move to a more and more digital future - a future that will inevitably lead to less and less physical copies entering the marketplace. Gamers who want to relive their favorite games, or try ones they never got a chance to, and actually OWN the game rather than a digital DRM laced copy, will pay top dollar to do so. Just like they do now.

I am not saying every game is a home run. Like the stock market, or any investment for that matter, you have to be smart about it. But the whole point of this rant is, basically, to each his own. If people want to buy games and keep them sealed to sell many years down the road, that is perfectly fine. Smart even.

And if people want to buy games for a collection, and keep them sealed, well, that is the ultimate collection, isn't it?

The problem with your logic is that sealed games aren't the same as they were back in the 8/16 bit era where video games were starting to gain more of a following and the cardboard boxes are harder to keep in good condition (back then). Nowadays, games are a heck of a lot more popular so while some games will rise in value, it won't be to the degree that a lot of the NES/SNES/N64 games go for sealed/immaculate condition.

[quote name='storino03']I do play the games I buy sealed. I either buy a super cheap used copy or like on the psp, download it. Though for instance I finally got around to beating Ys Oath in Felghana for the psp which I bought sealed (still do) when it first came out back in 2010. So I do get to the games, it's just further down the road lol[/QUOTE]

I still have 2 sealed copies of that the LE for that one and one regular edition sealed copy >_< Blea i really got to get back to trying to archive all my games. ive been trying to use this sites collection tool but its less than perfect. Its rather slow to add things and doesn't really give an option for multiple copies, and it seems to be missing some UK import games and stuff. Im at 894 last time i updated it and thats probably roughly 1/4 of the stuff

By the way all this talk of Last Virtue has me realize i still havent played 999 yet. I keep hearing its really good. Should i bump it up my play list?

[quote name='Motoki']I realize the crowd here in this thread is more console oriented, but XSeed has a couple of their Ys games for the PC on sale right now on the Steam summer sale.

Ys Origin is current 60% off @ $7.99. It's on a flash sale that will only be lasting for about another 4 hours as I post this. After that is going up to 40% off for the duration of the sale.

Ys Oath in Felghana is 66% off @ $5.09. That sale is lasting for the duration of the Steam summer sale until July 23rd.

Both are translations of the PC versions of these games that came out a number of years ago in Japan so neither are particularly taxing on modern PCs and most people should have no difficulty running them even if their PC is not the latest and greatest.

Also note that there is no voice acting in these versions. Dialog is text only.[/QUOTE]

Hmm whats Y's Origin? Dont think I've ever heard of it, it looks kinda neat. Sorta like a prequal or something. Is it avalible on anything other than PC? I dont do DLC only media, especially stuff like Steam

[quote name='Zaku77']The book that it comes with is alright, but the blow up doll *sigh* and the damn hand towel are really, really stupid. I would have preferred some DLC, and a soundtrack or something (along with the book). The LE for the first game went up in value, so did Zero for PS3, and it looks like Zero's CE on 360 is barely any less. It looks like you should just get it if you want it. I mean it was my 800th game in my collection. I randomly decided to go through my spread sheets and add everything up, and I noticed that I was like 10 away. This prompted me to start mentally counting down to 800 as I bought things and Agarest 2 was number 800![/QUOTE]

Was the game itself decent or pretty crappy? Kinda lame the doll and towel are junk. Are they just really tiny, or just really cheap? Or both? Artbooks the real reason i wanted it. I think i'll wait a few more weeks at least and keep an eye on it to see if it drops in price. I wish i had picked up a zero PS3 LE. For some reason i got 2 360 ones instead.. could have got a PS3 one for the 2nd. Not sure what i was thinking. I just dont want to wait and then its suddenly gone, or i get it when its low and they ship it, damage it and i cant get a replacment. By the same tolken i also dont want to pay full price then have it at 40 bucks in a few weeks. They dropped at retailers pretty quick for the older ones. Then again I dont think this ever got a retail release did it? I didn't see it at BB or anything

What do you use to keep track of you collection? Ive been trying to just add stuff systematically using this sites collection tool but its very slow going and the search feature sucks. Plus it doesn't have a system for mutliple copies of games.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Did I judge anyone? All I said was it's a waste of money. Video games almost never appreciate in value, so what's the point? To look at the cover art? But if you want to waste your money in that way, more power to you.[/QUOTE]

Umm.. Yes, you did Judge them. Saying it is a waste of money is a judgment call. To them its NOT a waste of money. You are making the judgment that keeping sealed games is a waste of money.. that is not a fact, but an opinion. To you, keeping a sealed game is a waste of money. Ok, thats fine, but to them it most certainly is not. If it makes the person happy then how is it a waste of money? Anyway looks like this started a bit of back and forth on the subject so im gonna drop it. I just wanted to point out that yes, you were judging it.

^^^^
This

Its nice to know that some of my games are worth a decent amount of money, but thats not why I do it. Some people collect baseball cards for the enjoyment. You dont do much more than stare at those either. Honestly the thought of ever selling ANY of my collection turns my stomach. I never trade in anything, ever.

[quote name='DanteWarrior']Very true. If I need a sealed copy of Black label FF VII - all I have to do is "pre-order or buy it new somewhere"[/QUOTE]

heh this made me smile. God i wish i had known that some of those older RPGs would be worth so much. How awesome would it be to have a sealed copy of Suikoden II? Or Earthbound? or jeeze, Panzer Dragoon Orta? Gators300 had an interesting post, and his point is valid. Some games can be good investments. Usually RPG's it seems, but personally thats not why I do it

[quote name='62t']But you own some censored/edited games, such as Shadow Hearts Covenant[/QUOTE]

Well back in the day I didn't do as much research into stuff like that. But what was censored in Shadowhearts? THe only thing i was aware of was one dress for Cordellia or whatever Geppetos doll was called. I think it was a nude version or something? I had actually heard at the time that it was an issue with it being part of the greatest hits version and they didn't want to deal with the code issues with it. Still. 1 outfit for a weapon in a game is very different than completely removing an entire section of the game.

Anyway, its too bad because the LE set for Mugen souls looks pretty neat. Just the kinda swag i actually like. Physical stuff, not just DLC junk. Sad that I'll have to pass on it. I really wanted the friggin art book =( Hell, i still havent opened the stuff from either of my Disgaea 4 ultra sets.

[quote name='Gators300'] quality niche RPG's, (Xenoblade Chronicles w/ art book sealed in 10 years will probably be worth a small fortune) and obviously quality sealed limited/collector's editions.
[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, i cant believe i forgot about that.. I never got my artbook back when i picked it up, it completely slipped my mind at the time for some reason.. what the hell. Did it get canceled for the US release or something? I did a search and it seems that may have been the case, or they only got like 1 per store or something

^_^x KD

I have an excel spread sheet for every console, and I just add stuff that way. I also took a day and added everything on here, but the database was missing some stuff, so my collection on here isn't quite right. I don't have multiple copies of things unless they are different (US CE & UK Steelbook for instance) so I just list those as two different things.

Also, as for Ys: Origin, it's likely never getting ported to any console. It would seem a bit silly to never play it simply because of being against digital distribution. I'm not a fan myself, but it just works better for PC games.

It's weird how PS3 CE/LE/Special versions of games are on average more expensive than their 360 equivalents. I was among the many that bought Agarest War on the 360 because the series came out in the US exclusively, and bought Zero too.

Then there's Agarest War 2 that was exclusive to the ps3. Talk about a big mistake for US AW fans at the very least. Oh well, I still got it for ps3, but now it sort of breaks up my series that I had two others for 360 lol.

I'm not really one that does imports unless it's a series I really love. Currently eyeing the Tales of Graces F Special Edition that is coming out end of August in the UK. ahhhhhh

I'll be getting that. There are only a couple of games I own that have UK CEs that I don't have. They're always such a pain to get in flawless condition... spendy, too. lol

[quote name='Zaku77']I have an excel spread sheet for every console, and I just add stuff that way. I also took a day and added everything on here, but the database was missing some stuff, so my collection on here isn't quite right. I don't have multiple copies of things unless they are different (US CE & UK Steelbook for instance) so I just list those as two different things.

Also, as for Ys: Origin, it's likely never getting ported to any console. It would seem a bit silly to never play it simply because of being against digital distribution. I'm not a fan myself, but it just works better for PC games.[/QUOTE]

Hmm.. i guess i have to learn how to use Excel, lol. I actually always thought that may work pretty good. I noticed that there were games missing here too.. or so i thought, till i manually looked for them. A lot are actually there they just dont come up when you search for some stupid reason. Actually the only Y's game ive played was the one on PS2.. forgot the name of it. I have several games in the series but thats the only one ive even played. Unless i get into it I will just miss out on Origin i guess. I NEVER buy DLC only games. THe only time i broke that rule was for Suikoden on the PSN so i could play it on my PSP. And i own a few copies of that game for the PS1 so its all good

[quote name='storino03']It's weird how PS3 CE/LE/Special versions of games are on average more expensive than their 360 equivalents. I was among the many that bought Agarest War on the 360 because the series came out in the US exclusively, and bought Zero too.

Then there's Agarest War 2 that was exclusive to the ps3. Talk about a big mistake for US AW fans at the very least. Oh well, I still got it for ps3, but now it sort of breaks up my series that I had two others for 360 lol.

I'm not really one that does imports unless it's a series I really love. Currently eyeing the Tales of Graces F Special Edition that is coming out end of August in the UK. ahhhhhh[/QUOTE]

This really pissed me off too.. how the hell do you release part 1 on the 360.. part 2 on both.. then part 3 on PS3 only. Especially since i think the game does transfer data for saves. Thats just fucking retarded. I could have picked up a used copy of Zero at gamestop a few weeks ago for about 17 bucks that was mint but i figured I should find a new one for 20ish.. I was wrong =P Looks like they go for around 30 bucks or more new. My distain for purchasing used games on current gen systems screwed me over since its gone now.

Whats this about Tales of graces F special edition? I still havent opened my copy of the US tales of graces F.. I dont know why actually, considering how much i like the series. Any tales fans here? Does it rank pretty high on the Tales games lists? Or is it a dud like Legandia?

BTW, i hear you about gettinjg UK CE's in flawless condition Zaku. It got to the point that i just ordered like 2 or 3 copies of everything to better my odds. That got way too expensive though and ive kinda stopped importing stuff. Especially since the exchange is so terrible. Now i have multiple copies of tons of CE's, lol

^_^x KD

FYI - The Mark of Mastery Collector's Edition of Kingdom Hearts 3D appears to be unavailable on Amazon, Gamestop, and Newegg. You can't order it on any of those sites. Hopefully you already pre-ordered it if you wanted it.

I use to use Excel to archive my collection, but then I found a program called Game Collectorz and tried it out. It's absolutely awesome, you guys should give it a look. It has a free trial download if you want to just check it out.

http://www.collectorz.com/game/

It's well worth the $50 in just the time saved vs. archiving in Excel alone, IMHO. In my experience, their game database has 95% of the titles for every system going all the way back through the 2600/Intellevision/Colevovision era (including covering different regions - it's made in the UK but they have thousands of US users). If there is a game that doesn't exist in their database, it has a very easy to use an comprehensive manual add feature which adds that game (or game variant) to their database for you and everyone else to use (a big part of why their database is so comprehensive).

Archiving your games to the program is super easy; you can add them by entering in the title, or the bar code, or by using a bar code scanner.

My favorite part is that you can instantly sync your collection with their iPhone, iPad, or Android app and always have your collection database with you when you are shopping. It also syncs with their website so you can instantly have a site for your collection and wantlist (see the links in my signature for mine).

I started with Game Collectorz four years ago or so and loved it so much I've also bought their Movie version and their Books version (they have several others as well for Comics, Music, Photos, etc).

[quote name='Gators300']I agree no one is claiming this, but if you think about it, buying games, (certain games that is) as an investment makes perfect sense. Especially if you think long term. In ten years we will be well into the next generation. There are plenty of games out there, (primarily story driven games, popular series like Resident Evil, and RPG's) that will at least double their value, if not triple or quadruple their value. If you know what to buy right now, and you keep it sealed, video games can be a better investment than any small dollar stocks, and especially with the market the way it is these days.

You can basically count on a sealed game at the very minimum retaining its value. If you know what games to buy, you can count on them doubling their value, easily. The key here is time though. You have to wait. They are like bonds in that they gain value with time, but they are also like stocks in that if you can sell at the right time, (holidays, new releases in a series, etc.) you can maximize your return in a shorter amount of time.

Of course, this goes back to the whole idea of how you look at games. What good does a sealed game do for you if you are a normal gamer? Well, it doesn't do any good. If you are an investor and a gamer, then you can have the best of both worlds, provided you have the funds to buy games to play as well as games to keep sealed.

It usually isn't hard to determine what games will command top dollar in several years. Real quick, basically any Nintendo main character game, (Mario, Zelda, etc.) quality niche RPG's, (Xenoblade Chronicles w/ art book sealed in 10 years will probably be worth a small fortune) and obviously quality sealed limited/collector's editions.

Recently Best Buy and Newegg have been basically giving games away at ridiculous prices. If you do the CAG thing and only buy those, especially sub-$15 quality games, you can probably quadruple your investment in a few years for each one if you keep it sealed.

I completely understand that many people frown upon this sort of behavior, but it is a legitimate way to invest. I recently met an older gentleman who realized this many years ago, around the SNES era. Ever since then he bought up popular games when they went on sale and kept them sealed in a room, basically untouched after purchase. He recently sold a sealed copy of Magic Knight Rayearth for Saturn for $450. He still has Chrono Trigger, FFII, FFIII, and Secret of Mana for SNES all sealed. Those four games alone, I would venture to guess, could net him anywhere from $1000-2000 today. But he is holding on to them. He also has in his collection Panzer Dragoon Saga sealed. I imagine that single game could bring him close to $2000 by itself if he found the right buyer. His entire retirement is centered around selling off a game or two at a time when he needs money. He has probably at least 1,000 games, and he stopped buying in the PS2 and Gamecube era.

Since meeting him last year when I bought a copy of Dragon Force for Saturn sealed on Craigslist from him, I too have begun to buy quality games and keep them sealed. A few months ago Amazon had a Buy 2 Get 1 sale, where I picked up, among other games, The World Ends With You. It apparently just went out of print and is already hovering around $40, USED, on eBay. In 10-15 years that game will certainly be worth several hundred dollars sealed. This is especially true as we move to a more and more digital future - a future that will inevitably lead to less and less physical copies entering the marketplace. Gamers who want to relive their favorite games, or try ones they never got a chance to, and actually OWN the game rather than a digital DRM laced copy, will pay top dollar to do so. Just like they do now.

I am not saying every game is a home run. Like the stock market, or any investment for that matter, you have to be smart about it. But the whole point of this rant is, basically, to each his own. If people want to buy games and keep them sealed to sell many years down the road, that is perfectly fine. Smart even.

And if people want to buy games for a collection, and keep them sealed, well, that is the ultimate collection, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

I think the argument for games increasing in value is hinging completely on the evolution of digital distribution. If physical copies pretty much get abolished, I'm sure values on some games could go up.. smaller games, for collections sake.

But what if the potential collectors, who are currently small children or haven't been born yet, grow up on downloaded games and never appreciate physical copies?

Personally, I love having sealed games in my collection. I don't have many because I recently dropped a grand to give my collection a jump start then immediately had an "OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE" moment and have put my collection on hold. Should never spend that sort of money when I'm about to start college.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back