Killzone 3: Helghast Edition for PlayStation 3 is $49.99 at Best Buy

Ya I got this for 49.99, but made a sketch return beforehand and got this for free...yaay. I think this is only worth it for the sniper cloak tho...fairly bad@ss

Just personal experience. I got to my local BB arround 12 p.m. today and they had aout 13-14 stacked on the pile. I spend some time in the store and went to pick me a copy of the Hellghast edition about 45 min later. At this time they had only 8-9 left on the pile. With this ratio I doubt there will be left any in the BB system for adiitional price drop after this week sale. My suggestion is if you like the game and want this special edition get it now, future pice drops are possible, but quantities could be scarce.

Took advantage of this deal. You get the super voucher, an art book, and a big Helgast head for $10 less than what they are selling for the game only.

Just went to a BB that had nine on display in the middle of an aisle, was very tempted to pick it up... but already spent 200 on upgrading my stereo deck and def jam rapster...

[quote name='Gideon68']They are $49.99 at the BB in Colma, CA. No need to price match the website and the 10% off coupon did not work since it is not the regular price.[/QUOTE]

Seconded! Colma still had 5 on the shelf and the worker said they had several more in the back. I've been watching this store because they had so many. Every BB in the bay area does actually.

Yeah kz3 has been holding value pretty well. I doubt it will drop to 30 for some time so 50 for the helghast? Sweet. I'm gonna end up with a CE collection and I'm not even a CE guy

Ok so as people seem to be on the fence about it, let me go ahead and give a non-biased review. I have never played Killzone 2, and have seldom played Killzone 3. I bought this strictly for the collectors edition items when it was 59.99 on Amazon. First off, the helmet. It is not wearable sized, but much larger than one would think it to be. It has two hoses which are actually hoses that can come off the helmet.It is as I view it to be, a very high quality plastic, it doesnt feel cheap to me. Second, the action figure. This is a DC Direct figure, which if anyone is familiar, those are about 16-19.99 and are very high quality. It has a bit of weight to it for just being an action figure. Lastly, there is the art book. Its about your run of the mill art book, but its still pretty nice and is decent quality. All in all, I am very pleased with the Collectors edition and definitely do not regret buying it at 59.99. If you can snag it for 49.99, I would recommend doing so.

FINE! Your peer pressure wins today, CAGs. I broke down and setup a store pick up in case I change my mind. $50 is pretty close to the $40 I would prefer. I wish the 10% off coupon would work, but that is a no-go. I might just flip the game after a quick play through though. I figure I can pick up a copy for cheaper later or a GOTY/complete version since there appears to be a few DLC maps.

I love the killzone dynamic themes! I love watching the ships fly through the clouds. In my opinion it's the best theme on the psn!

I pick this up today along with New Vegas for PS3. I think it's a good deal for CE! I didn't know the helmet can be pull open until I saw that video in the second pages, haha!

[quote name='Animefalcon']thinking about getting one during the b2g1 free event next week[/QUOTE]
Don't think price will stand by next week that and by next week it might be all gone.

[quote name='VeryCheapGame']Don't think price will stand by next week that and by next week it might be all gone.[/QUOTE]

what about return - rebuy?

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I say pass on this deal unless you're a hardcore Killzone fan. I bought the game by itself for $10 after trading some stuff in, and felt ripped off. The campaign is super-short, and it felt like they went out of their way to include every FPS cliche possible from the last 10 years. The ending is barely an ending at all; if it were a movie, I'd be convinced that they ran out of film before they could finish any kind of real, coherent ending of any kind.

The muliplayer is nothing you haven't played before either. The matchmaking is shoddy (I have yet to play a full game, usually uneven teams and often 1v1 games) and it just feels like a sci-fi CoD game with a hint of TF2's class system.

Slightly off topic and irrelevant, but just my two cents. Buying this as a collector's item is one thing, but if you just want the game, wait for a price drop. A very, very big price drop.

I went to BB today to try to get a copy of boarderlands GOTY edition so i can system link it. And to see if they had rainbow six 2... since i bought that online then they canceled it on me >_< No dice on either of those but i wound up picking one of these up. I figure i'll keep an eye on Amazon and if they PM i'll return it.

The store had 3 copies only which is less than a lot of other stores from what im reading. All 3 were lightly to moderatly damaged from the shitty ass spider wrap.. *sigh* why the hell do they use this on such large items? It really pisses me off. I hope amazon PM's so i can buy one there and return mine. It has a few dents where the wrap was =(

i also got brutal legend for 5 bucks, Def jam for 9 bucks, and some guitar game i cant recall the name of for 3 bucks.

Worth noting that above the killzone games was a rack of cheap games (where i got the ones listed) and everything up there was an aditional 25% off. It didn't ring up that way but the people at the register took 25% off on top of the price. I bought the god of war controller combo and then traded in the game for an aditional 7 bucks off. Wound up getting a new red controller for 36 dollars!

I admit that I have to agree that I wasn't very impressed by the story/campaign. It was still enjoyable (although brief), but I liked Killzone 2's story progression a lot more (I was really annoyed by some of the characters in this one).

My online matchmaking experience was much better than Luriden's, though. I played continuously for 3 weeks or so, and I only had a handful of uneven teams / 1v1 games / dropped games. Of course, this was several months ago before the PSN fiasco, and I haven't gotten back into KZ 3 multiplayer since (I don't do online multiplayer very much in general). The Warzone experience is definitely similar to KZ 2, but I like how you can choose your class and weapon layouts/perks when you re-spawn (I don't remember if you could do this in KZ 2).

As for the CE contents... well how "value" do you typically get out of CE extras anyways?
  • The Helghast Helmet is sizable, but like any other "statue" item you either have space to display it (and like other statues, you usually don't interact with it much afterwards) or you end up packing it back up inside the box.
  • There's a small "cloaked sniper" figurine, but I'd be afraid of losing it lol. Display it or not.
  • The art book is cool but pretty short; if I recall correctly it's journal-sized and maybe several dozen pages at most - similar to the Gears of War / Mortal Kombat art books (do NOT expect the 100+ page World of Warcraft / Starcraft 2 art books).
  • There's a download voucher for a temporary weapons unlock/XP bonus (I think it also downloads the KZ 3 soundtrack, which is pretty good IMO). This is probably the most "practical" bonus content since it will let you level up faster to unlock points -> unlock weapons and perks, but it's a 1-time use deal. I actually haven't used mine since I managed to score enough free unlock points from some contest/deal that was being offered at the time (and yes, I know that's "cheating" :D).

To sum it all up:

As a game, Killzone 3 is similar to Modern Warfare 2 in the sense that there's little-to-nothing actually "new", but it's still enjoyable and mostly everyone has graduated to this newer version for the multiplayer experience. I'd place the value of the game experience around $30 at most, but that's just my personal (and possibly skewed) opinion (of FPS's in general, and I try not to spend more than $30 on games anyways).

Does the CE content justify the additional $20? It depends:
  • If you're a collector fanatic (or you have a lot of room to really display and show off the statue), and you have the money, go ahead and bite at this price. Realistically speaking, just how likely are you going to be able to find this CE at a cheaper price (and run the risk of it going out of stock)?
  • If you're fan of the Killzone series or just the "average" gamer, consider how much "bang" you'll be able to squeeze out of the CE items, and then see if you can justify spending the money.
  • If you don't have the money to spend... well, then I guess the decision is easy, right? :D (To state the obvious: don't spend the money)
Personally, I picked up a copy when it was $60 from Amazon, and I sort of regret it: I just don't have the display space and I don't see myself getting a lot out of the CE stuff. I really wish the art book was more substantial or that it came with a steelbook (to be clear: It does NOT come with a steelbook). But I used Amazon credit to cover the purchase, so I don't feel too bad about it.

[quote name='onyzukae']what about return - rebuy?[/QUOTE]

Only works in your favor if the price is same or lower. $49.99 is abnormal sale price I would say, Amazon had it for $59.99 at one point, but the price went back up. You can gamble on it, either way you need to buy it now anyway :)

For those of you thinking about selling the game and keeping the extras, "not for resale" is printed on the back of the game where the barcode should be.

• The Helghast Helmet is sizable, but like any other "statue" item you either have space to display it (and like other statues, you usually don't interact with it much afterwards) or you end up packing it back up inside the box.
  • There's a small "cloaked sniper" figurine, but I'd be afraid of losing it lol. Display it or not.
^Very well thought out post. I agree almost in entirety but the action figure is NOT small. It is 6-8 inches tall by about four inches wide. To me that is much larger then most action figures.

I have both the Helghast Edition and the Limited Helghast Edition (eyes light up). What sets this game apart from the other FPSs is the Move Sharpshooter. With the standard dualshock controller, it is basically just another shooter. With the Move Sharpshooter, it is a whole new experience. Very immersive and fun! It takes a bit to get used to the Sharpshooter, but once you do, it is like riding a bicycle, you never forget. I put the game down for about a month (busy playing Gears of War 2 and Tron) and when I picked it back up a couple of days ago, it took me about 2 minutes and I was quite comfortable with the controls of the Sharpshooter. And this is after switching between the Xbox 360 controller and the dualshock, which doing that sometimes screws me up for a while. Online and botzone are a lot of fun too with the Sharpshooter.
The CE is nice and the helmet shows well. The light up one is way cooler though.
The game is fairly short, but looks great and plays great with the Sharpshooter. I highly recommend it for the Move Sharpshooter!
I am looking forward to playing Resistance 3 with the Sharpshooter...

[quote name='deantjeep']I have both the Helghast Edition and the Limited Helghast Edition (eyes light up).[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know that there were two versions of the expensive version of Killzone 3. Figured there was just the Helghast Edition. I'd get this if I find one at my local store. I doubt it though, a lot people will probably try to flip this at online stores/auction sites.

No big deal, I don't even have the space for the helmet. The price for all those goodies, though is just right. Wish there was just a action figure/artbook edition. I could buy the Helghast edition and sell the helmet/divide it up, but something doesn't feel right to me for doing that.

Saw this yesterday and want to get it, but I REALLY hate the Dual Shock for FPS. All the alternatives from 3rd parties ahve killer dead zones that make them unuseable.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I didn't even know that there were two versions of the expensive version of Killzone 3. Figured there was just the Helghast Edition. I'd get this if I find one at my local store. I doubt it though, a lot people will probably try to flip this at online stores/auction sites.

No big deal, I don't even have the space for the helmet. The price for all those goodies, though is just right. Wish there was just a action figure/artbook edition. I could buy the Helghast edition and sell the helmet/divide it up, but something doesn't feel right to me for doing that.[/QUOTE]

There were only 1000 Limited Helghast Editions made and they were never sold. These limited editions were given as prizes for various gaming activities during the games launch. The only differences between the limited and the standard Helghast editions is the helmet, there is a switch and light system in the helmet to turn the eyes on, very cool. Also the box is different. I a glad I picked one of these up, as this will be the one that should hold some kind of serious value as a collectable, 1000 compared to how many of the regular Helghast editions?

Grabbed me one today. Florence KY BB had 3 left when I walked out.

I got dvd that had all 4 critters movies in it and dvd that had all 3 feast unrated also. 74 bucks after tax was a pretty good haul.

All I know is that, literally, EVERY Best Buy in a hundred mile radius is showing stock of these... There is NO WAY that these all go away at $49.99. I'm tempted just because the game looks pretty fun and I know that it would end up being ~$25 cost for all the CE stuff by the time I trade it in after couple of weeks of play... May just keep an eye on the stock checker and see if it drops a little first... Or maybe buy and keep sealed for 30 days.

Just a heads up for those looking to flip the games in-case you missed it in the thread, the copy of KZ3 in the collectors edition is marked "Not for resale" and there is no barcode on the back.

[quote name='DeathMoJo']Just a heads up for those looking to flip the games in-case you missed it in the thread, the copy of KZ3 in the collectors edition is marked "Not for resale" and there is no barcode on the back.[/QUOTE]

Trading it into gamestop is only 2.50 or something like that less than amazon if you add in the +40% coupon. If you have a PUR card its exactly 1:1 so its not like thats actually that big of a deal. I will also note that I have traded into amazon with Not for Resale and got paid; several others have reported that but its still MMV.

[quote name='DeathMoJo']Just a heads up for those looking to flip the games in-case you missed it in the thread, the copy of KZ3 in the collectors edition is marked "Not for resale" and there is no barcode on the back.[/QUOTE]

Also shouldn't be a problem to trade right back to Best Buy. They're supposed to take games regardless of the UPC. My store didn't the last time I had a game marked like that, but I e-mailed Deal Tree about it and they said they would take it.

Ended up grabbing one for the CE content. Trades for $27 on amazon and I had a $20 RZ certificate that was going to expire soon. Doubt they will leave this on sale for the B2G1 sale.

went to pick it up but the box all beat up and spider wrapped on it. inside is all fine. i like the sniper figure. you can actually move the arms, legs, and head. u can like flap his cape, all rubbery feel.

I just talked to a csr and he said the price should go back up by next week so the b2 g1 is not likely. Could be wrong though. There's 14 days for the pricematch.

[quote name='boneless']I just talked to a csr and he said the price should go back up by next week so the b2 g1 is not likely. Could be wrong though. There's 14 days for the pricematch.[/QUOTE]

I looked at the fine print on the 49.99 price tag and it said sale price valid to the 9th July...ie it won't work for next weeks B2G1.

[quote name='onyzukae']GRABBED 3.. will see what happend B2G1 sale...[/QUOTE]
The $50 price is good this week only, according to the fine print noted. So next week's B2G1 would work for you.

EDIT: Damn typo. I meant it won't work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='eau']The $50 price is good this week only, according to the fine print noted. So next week's B2G1 would work for you.[/QUOTE]

How will that work if the price goes back up to 89.99 on Sunday? You won't be able to return and rebuy at the 49.99 price.

[quote name='dinovelvet']how will that work if the price goes back up to 89.99 on sunday? You won't be able to return and rebuy at the 49.99 price.[/quote]
god damn it...

[quote name='onyzukae']GRABBED 3.. will see what happend B2G1 sale...[/QUOTE]
you will be double dipping as the price you bought it for is $50 and you are also trying to get them to get one free, highly doubt they will let you do this. seems difficult to take something that is on sale one week and trying to get the store to give it to you for free.

YMMV on this, but a BB near me always has an additional percentage off of clearance titles like this. Nabbed one for about $30 after an extra 40% off of the $49.99 price. Worked out well, since I don't have a PS3 and just really wanted the helmet and figure. Turned around and traded KZ3 back to BB for an extra $25. I know I could have probably gotten more for it, but I was already there in the store and knew if I brought it home I would just sit on it until it depreciated. Helmet looks mighty nice on my shelf :lol:

bread's done
Back