Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360/PS3) $44.99 at Newegg (TRU match)

[quote name='mkaliaz']Although I have sympathy for you, just be happy you aren't living in WA. We are unfortunate enough to have BOTH Amazon and Steam headquartered here and pay tax for both. :cry:

I pre-ordered mine from Newegg yesterday. If anyone is curious I also pre-ordered FF13-2 and it shipped one day before release (1-30) with free 3 day shipping so technically I get it 2 days after release. Not the best, but not terrible for free shipping.[/QUOTE]

Thats great to hear. UPS 3 day from Newegg takes a day to get to me so I should have this on release date if it ships the day before :D

For any of you that are still holding out for Amazon to change the price this week I suggest informing them (everyone) that there are lower prices out there on it. You can do this on any amazon product under the "Product Details" section. Ive already done this for the buy.com deal, the New Egg deal, and the Toys R us one. We need more people to do it though.

03a962a9.jpg

Just thought I 'd let people know that Lockerz.com has Kingdoms of Amalur for $41.99 with free shipping. Also have Soul Calibur V and FF13-2 for same price. I have ordered several games from them and had no problems.

I don't want to post a link or start a new thread because the last few Lockerz threads were deleted by the mods with no explanation.

[quote name='Dezuria']Damn, where's the cheap PC version? :([/QUOTE]

Amazon has the download version for $50.99.

I had it pre-ordered with the first promotion at Newegg I contacted them about if I was going to get the reduced price, they said no just cancel the order and re-pre-order it, so I did... So it went from $47.99 to $44.99 saved me 3 whole dollars! lol...

My wife played through the demo again with me tonight, and this game is definitely excellent. Lots of bizarre glitches, though! Apparently the demo had more glitches than the developers wanted, so I'm going to assume/hope they're addressed in the release version.

In any case, definitely worth the money. Just loving it.

[quote name='WilliamG']My wife played through the demo again with me tonight, and this game is definitely excellent. Lots of bizarre glitches, though! Apparently the demo had more glitches than the developers wanted, so I'm going to assume/hope they're addressed in the release version.

In any case, definitely worth the money. Just loving it.[/QUOTE]

From what I heard from reviewers with the full copies of the game is that their are none of the glitches from the demo in the full game. The majority of the glitches came from the chopping up of the game to create the demo.

I had intended to buy this on Steam once the usual EA price drop occurs. Then, someone mentioned the TRU Google offer in this thread. I'm glad they did. Mine expires in April. I figure $25 for a new release is about as good as it's going to get before my code expires. So, in for one for PS3 from TRU!

[quote name='Brutal Fates']From what I heard from reviewers with the full copies of the game is that their are none of the glitches from the demo in the full game. The majority of the glitches came from the chopping up of the game to create the demo.[/QUOTE]
The demo's just a three month old build. It was either use an old build as the demo, or have no demo at all, so the developers chose to use the old build.

Man, can it be Feb 7th already. I DL'd it on PC (pre-ordered on Xbox) and I definitely love playing at 60 fps. I wish consoles could do that. Plus everything was super crisp. I like playing that shit on my couch though, on a big TV, and cheevos. Who doesn't love cheevos.

I really hope this game is everything that the hype has led me to believe it is.

I spotted a synopsis of a review on Metacritic from Official Xbox Magazine. I guess I was expecting a higher score than 80, but I don't really know the history of their reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning

"[A] few soft spots are what keep Kingdoms of Amalur from being truly dazzling. It's a great RPG - one that gives you an almost Bethesda level of freedom - and it has so much content that you could be playing the game for a couple of months. [Mar 2012, p.72] "

PSM - 7.8
OXM - 8.0

I can't wait for IGN's review tomorrow. I predict an 8.0 or maybe even an 8.5 considering how enthusiastic the review updates have been.

[quote name='bonebreak2000']For any of you that are still holding out for Amazon to change the price this week I suggest informing them (everyone) that there are lower prices out there on it. You can do this on any amazon product under the "Product Details" section. Ive already done this for the buy.com deal, the New Egg deal, and the Toys R us one. We need more people to do it though.

03a962a9.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I did so. Hopefully others are too.

Whelp...saving $15 at NewEgg won out over release date delivery at Amazon.

I tried my best to get you to shave-off those fifteen bones Amazon but ya just wouldn't do it.

edit: And yeah I reported the lower prices and even used them (Toys 'R Us and NewEgg) as my reason for cancellation in the form. Guess they are sticking to their guns with those pre-order goodies. *shrug*

[quote name='Tonner Cyn']Is the PC download version at Amazon one where they give you a code that can then be redeemed through Steam?[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, it's activated through Origin instead of Steam. I'm debating paying the extra $9 and just getting it through Steam. This is one game I don't mind paying MSRP for especially since achievements are involved. :D

Anyway, this is a great deal but I've lost some trust in NewEgg. My pre-order for Soulcalibur V STILL hasn't shipped out. I had it in nearly a month ahead of time too.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']
I tried my best to get you to shave-off those fifteen bones Amazon but ya just wouldn't do it.
[/QUOTE]

Probably hundreds if not thousands of people did this, get over yourself.

[quote name='Midnighthawk']PSM - 7.8
OXM - 8.0

I can't wait for IGN's review tomorrow. I predict an 8.0 or maybe even an 8.5 considering how enthusiastic the review updates have been.[/QUOTE]
Those are crappier reviews than I was hoping for. Still excited to get it regardless but usually I go by reviews to buy my games (I know I shouldn't always do that).

And I agree IGN seems to like it. I'm expecting an 8.5 or 9.0 really.

For anyone that's played Skyrim, what makes that game better than KoA? I know nobody can say for sure without KoA being out yet and I know Skyrim has a big open world, but is it interesting? What makes that game GOTY material? I'm already almost positive I'll like the story and combat much more in KoA than in Skyrim which are both big things for me. So what are the pluses of Skyrim over KoA?

[quote name='wynams']Probably hundreds if not thousands of people did this, get over yourself.[/QUOTE]

A) I meant that in a playful way.:booty:
B) Many actually did manage to get Amazon to give them a $15 credit. (i.e. the people who pissed and moaned in emails and to support seemed to get the credit while those which used their existing lower price reporting tool mostly received silence. If anything it was people who couldn't get over themselves which did lock in the lower price)

[quote name='ShockandAww']Those are crappier reviews than I was hoping for. Still excited to get it regardless but usually I go by reviews to buy my games (I know I shouldn't always do that).

And I agree IGN seems to like it. I'm expecting an 8.5 or 9.0 really.

For anyone that's played Skyrim, what makes that game better than KoA? I know nobody can say for sure without KoA being out yet and I know Skyrim has a big open world, but is it interesting? What makes that game GOTY material? I'm already almost positive I'll like the story and combat much more in KoA than in Skyrim which are both big things for me. So what are the pluses of Skyrim over KoA?[/QUOTE]
Well as it stands now, I think I am going to enjoy KOA over Skyrim. My problem with Skyrim is once you get the best items in the game and tons of money, all your left with to do is quests and more quests and more quests. The game lacks a feel of progression to me. It's become uber powerful and then do nothing but quests because you have the best items. KOA looks more refined and has more of the progression I want where I can't just go and become uber powerful only doing 4 main story quests then have the game on easy mode.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Well as it stands now, I think I am going to enjoy KOA over Skyrim. My problem with Skyrim is once you get the best items in the game and tons of money, all your left with to do is quests and more quests and more quests. The game lacks a feel of progression to me. It's become uber powerful and then do nothing but quests because you have the best items. KOA looks more refined and has more of the progression I want where I can't just go and become uber powerful only doing 4 main story quests then have the game on easy mode.[/QUOTE]IMO, the combat in Skyrim sucked.

Combat in KoA is amazing.

Sadly, Mass Effect 3 is coming out and I'm revisiting ME2 to get my platinum.

[quote name='new1']Still waiting whether I should stick with the 360 version or ps3[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that most multi-platform publications are recieving the PS3 version unless they request a different one.

Publishers tend to put their best foot forward but this ain't Skyrim where one version is outright being denied even on specific request so you should be safe either way.

The general consensus is: PC>PS3>360 but after the Skyrim on PS3 mess I wouldn't trust a single damn person in the gaming media.:bomb:

Embargo is up tonight I believe so we'll have a better feeling of who got what soon enough. (Shipwreck is playing the PS3 version if memory serves)

I would say buy the game on the 360 because you can FULLY INSTALL your damn games unlike the PS3. There is a big difference in fully installing your games on the 360 than not installing the game full.

I'm getting it on the PS3 because I usually get the single player games on the PS3 or exclusive games. 360 always gets the love though thanks to multiplayer. I'm going to skip this game for now but once it hits 40 or less, def. getting it and most likely PS3 because it hasn't gotten any love in a long time.

This is EA right? I'll probably watch and wait til the collectors edition is below 50. EA will probably over produce the game again since it has all the hype. Hehe

[quote name='CAGkrazy']This is EA right? I'll probably watch and wait til the collectors edition is below 50. EA will probably over produce the game again since it has all the hype. Hehe[/QUOTE]

Ah, to be uninformed. Just to give some info you may not know about this. EA is publishing this that is true, but Big Huge Games is developing it, they were bought out by 38 Studios which is owned by Curt Schilling. It was previously owned by THQ.Curt Schilling, world series Red Sox pitcher, who really has nothing to do with video games prior to this but I respect him entering the field. Then we have Todd McFarlane, the creator of Spawn and other great works of art is behind the art of this game. Also is R.A. Salvatore who is a big name in fantasy literature and he is behind the story of this game.

There are three special editions. All of which have limited print runs. $80 one has a run of 2,000 units. $200 one includes the $80 version and is limited to 700 units. Then the uber one which is $275 includes the $200 version (which includes the $80) is only going to have 300 units.

So in total there will be 3,000 units of any edition beyond the regular edition. So good luck getting that on a discount. If you want to wait on the game I say go for it, but just because it has EA on the box don't make assumptions is all.

Sorry about that And Thanks for the info. Yeah I didn't know a lot about history of the game or what not. I guess I'll just stick with regular game and just wait until price drop for it. It's going to be in the backlog anyway.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']Sorry about that And Thanks for the info. Yeah I didn't know a lot about history of the game or what not. I guess I'll just stick with regular game and just wait until price drop for it. It's going to be in the backlog anyway.[/QUOTE]

No problem and I understand waiting due to a big backlog. Though sadly events have caused me to get this game at Gamestop for double what I had wanted to pay for it.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Whelp...saving $15 at NewEgg won out over release date delivery at Amazon.

edit: And yeah I reported the lower prices and even used them (Toys 'R Us and NewEgg) as my reason for cancellation in the form. Guess they are sticking to their guns with those pre-order goodies. *shrug*[/QUOTE]

I'm really frustrated with Amazon too. I called their promotions department to let them know what newegg and TRU are charging, and they completely did NOT care. I thought maybe I got a crappy rep, so I tried again. I was very polite, and asked them to at least pass on the prices that other sites are charging. Nothing. I wasn't begging for a deal - just asking them to report it to the people who make these pricing decisions. They were both downright hostile.

So I'm canceling my order, and going with Newegg. Thanks, OP!

[quote name='ShockandAww']

For anyone that's played Skyrim, what makes that game better than KoA? I know nobody can say for sure without KoA being out yet and I know Skyrim has a big open world, but is it interesting? What makes that game GOTY material? I'm already almost positive I'll like the story and combat much more in KoA than in Skyrim which are both big things for me. So what are the pluses of Skyrim over KoA?[/QUOTE]

I dont even really k now how to group them together really. I played the Amalur demo and its not even close. I could see Amalur being just as awesome if it have co op like a diablo or titan quest. But as a single player game (just judging from the demo) its very far away from what Skyrim offers.

Just another nail in the coffin if you ask me.

Amazon is getting too bloated to accommodate deal-seekers.

Newegg used to get a lot more business from me, but then they started that same nonsense.... Looks like things are cycling back around.

Good by lousy pre-order bonuses, hello 15 off a new game.

I assume this google new egg deal is something that passed me by? Not sure what everyone is referring to but if I can still purchase it LMK. Thanks

[quote name='Saix_XIII']Ah, to be uninformed. Just to give some info you may not know about this. EA is publishing this that is true, but Big Huge Games is developing it, they were bought out by 38 Studios which is owned by Curt Schilling. It was previously owned by THQ.Curt Schilling, world series Red Sox pitcher, who really has nothing to do with video games prior to this but I respect him entering the field. Then we have Todd McFarlane, the creator of Spawn and other great works of art is behind the art of this game. Also is R.A. Salvatore who is a big name in fantasy literature and he is behind the story of this game.

There are three special editions. All of which have limited print runs. $80 one has a run of 2,000 units. $200 one includes the $80 version and is limited to 700 units. Then the uber one which is $275 includes the $200 version (which includes the $80) is only going to have 300 units.

So in total there will be 3,000 units of any edition beyond the regular edition. So good luck getting that on a discount. If you want to wait on the game I say go for it, but just because it has EA on the box don't make assumptions is all.[/QUOTE]

Actually Schilling has been a long-time player of Everquest 1 and WoW. There was even a story in how he got into a fight with a former teammate when he left him to die in EQ 1. Also, all the SE from what I understand have to be ordered from EA directly.

IGN Live Stream w/ video review afterwards is live: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/01/31/ign-live-presents-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning

[quote name='MSUHitman']Actually Schilling has been a long-time player of Everquest 1 and WoW. There was even a story in how he got into a fight with a former teammate when he left him to die in EQ 1. Also, all the SE from what I understand have to be ordered from EA directly.

IGN Live Stream w/ video review afterwards is live: http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/01/31/ign-live-presents-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning[/QUOTE]

What I meant by Schilling not be involved in the industry was that he had never worked in it. I know he was a player, but we all are, that doesn't mean we have a right to own a gaming company :lol: But I do respect him for going into the industry.

I remember reading something about that, but I wasn't 100% certain the details so I figured it made more sense to not mention what I couldn't back up.

I think Schilling should have named his company "Bloody Sock Studios" instead of "38 Studios". :)

As a Sox fan I owe it to him to support this day one for what he did in 2004. Random tidbit: I actually saw his first start as a member of the Red Sox (against the Orioles at Camden Yards) during my makeshift honeymoon that April. Good times.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']What I meant by Schilling not be involved in the industry was that he had never worked in it. I know he was a player, but we all are, that doesn't mean we have a right to own a gaming company :lol: But I do respect him for going into the industry.

I remember reading something about that, but I wasn't 100% certain the details so I figured it made more sense to not mention what I couldn't back up.[/QUOTE]

Oh I was just clarifying. Yeah I read about it in an AP newspaper story about 10 years ago, sure it's somewhere on the interwebs.

Also he announced his retirement on an interview with Adam Sessler on X-Play when he was also talking about forming 38 Studios.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']A) I meant that in a playful way.:booty:
B) Many actually did manage to get Amazon to give them a $15 credit. (i.e. the people who pissed and moaned in emails and to support seemed to get the credit while those which used their existing lower price reporting tool mostly received silence. If anything it was people who couldn't get over themselves which did lock in the lower price)[/QUOTE]

Right on. Agree that its taking a lot more elbow grease to get Amazon to budge these days. I lack the motivation to do this, as say just buy it at the lowest market price from someone else.

Grats to those who saved $15 by finding the right CSR!

[quote name='bonebreak2000']I dont even really k now how to group them together really. I played the Amalur demo and its not even close. I could see Amalur being just as awesome if it have co op like a diablo or titan quest. But as a single player game (just judging from the demo) its very far away from what Skyrim offers.[/QUOTE]
But what does Skyrim offer?

I guess I'll just have to try Skyrim at some point. I own it I just am not very interested in actually playing it from what I've heard of it. KoA on the other hand I'm very excited to play as it actually looks fun. Was just wondering why people go crazy over Skyrim but not this game. It seems like it's just because it's Skyrim it must be automatically good, and this being a new IP people just don't get as hyped for it even though it may well be every bit as good in different ways.

It reminds me of GTA IV and Saints Row. GTA IV had tons of praise that I don't think was at all deserved. It just got it regardless because it was a GTA game. And of course Saints Row gets decent reviews but imo it deserved better. Basically fuck the industry is all I'm saying. I don't like not being able to go by reviews of games to decide what to get.

No its not about that at all. Skyrim is a world. Living and breathing in a lot of ways. its allows you to make your own story through your own experiences. Its hard to tell you why skyrim is so great in a message board. I could have an hour long conversation about how the quest system is persistent and logical. How you can not even do any quests and still make your own story. Or how breath taking the sounds and environment can be.

Amalur (at least in the demo is childs play compared to that). Now that doesnt mean that you wont like it more. Or enjoy it more because you think the combat is better. Thats for us all to decide on our own. I do think its strange that you own the game and refuse to try it based on things youve heard. And then claim those things you heard are all amazing and its better than everything else.

You dont have to like it. its up to you. People hated Too Human I I liked it. Doesnt bother me one bit.

I think that the major sticking point for me is that Reckoning on PS3 will be a fun and enjoyable experience whereas my PS3 copy of Skyrim is a steaming pile of broken fucking shit 3 months after release.

So: Fun vs. Beer coaster

(aw made myself sad)

bread's done
Back