Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (360/PS3) $44.99 at Newegg (TRU match)

[quote name='bonebreak2000'] I do think its strange that you own the game and refuse to try it based on things youve heard. And then claim those things you heard are all amazing and its better than everything else.[/QUOTE]
It's not that I refuse to try it. I probably will today actually (or so I like to think). It's more that I don't always have a lot of time to actually play. I guess it's more that Skyrim seems like even if I do like it, it would take me awhile to realize it and get into it. Whereas KoA seems like something I could jump into and immediately enjoy. I guess I just need to try and find the time for Skyrim. I probably will like it, I'm guessing just not as much as KoA.

[quote name='Midnighthawk']IGN gives it a 9.0. Looks like my pre-order is set.[/QUOTE]

Not to say it's not a great game, because I hope it is, but that usually means they are getting money or preferential treatment, at least as far as IGN is concerned.

I would take that review with a grain of salt.

Well we also watched them play the game and he did say what was wrong with it. He never said it was perfect, but the good stuff overshadowed all the bad things. Playing the demo I can see where he is coming from.

Oh ok shock and aww. yeah if time is a concern i have no doubt that KOA is likely more approachable.

Also LOL@ Raven.
IGN giving a game a 9.0 usually means they are getting money?

lol ok

Well if the game is really that good gameplay wise I think I may have to preorder. I never could get into Fallout games because as great as the game may be to a lot of people, I HATED the gameplay with a passion. And I also dont like supporting lazy devs that half ass the PS3 versions.

[quote name='wrencrest']Well if the game is really that good gameplay wise I think I may have to preorder. I never could get into Fallout games because as great as the game may be to a lot of people, I HATED the gameplay with a passion. And I also dont like supporting lazy devs that half ass the PS3 versions.[/QUOTE]
This. Colin said the PS3 version was very stable which is a big plus. I also hated Fallout 3. I didn't care for the clunky combat and the world was too open that I sort of blanked out on the story. KoA seems like the complete opposite of anything Bethesda has ever made, which is a good thing for me. The only thing I would miss are companions, but it's not a deal breaker. BioWare has spoiled us too much.

Just a note to those interested in the special edition, I tried to order the $80 version for the 360 earlier today. It wouldn't let me, said "please remove the item from your cart and resubmit your order".....thus, my cart would be empty and nothing there for me to order. I emailed CS and they said "that means we reached our limit of preorders, sorry".

For the heck of it, I tried again a couple times throughout the day and same result. I just tried again, one last ditch effort, and it worked! I must have grabbed one of the last copies of the special edition for the 360! IF you are interested, might want to act fast.

I still don't know if it's worth $90, but the resale value alone seems to be there if you're on the fence.

From I have heard, nothing technically official mind you, is that it is near identical on both systems. But I would lean toward 360 due to better load times on install. Of course there will be a comparison after the game comes out that will break down all the differences.

[quote name='Saix_XIII']From I have heard, nothing technically official mind you, is that it is near identical on both systems. But I would lean toward 360 due to better load times on install. Of course there will be a comparison after the game comes out that will break down all the differences.[/QUOTE]

Demo-wise, I've read reports that the PS3 version looks sharper than the 360, as if the 360 version is rendering at a lower resolution. Anyone else see the same? I usually go 360 on multi-platform games but thats usually because of multiplayer.

I played all three versions of the demo, and while the PC looked the best, the PS3 version looked better than the 360 version. Also, it looks like the PS3 version has a required install, so load times shouldn't be an issue.

[quote name='bonebreak2000']Also LOL@ Raven.
IGN giving a game a 9.0 usually means they are getting money?

lol ok[/QUOTE]

Lol, congrats on being the last to learn, lol, how lousy review sites like ign work, lol. Lol. Lol, it's called "advertising," lol. Lol, ok, lol.

[quote name='Zurcamos']Lol, congrats on being the last to learn, lol, how lousy review sites like ign work, lol. Lol. Lol, it's called "advertising," lol. Lol, ok, lol.[/QUOTE]

Well the week Too Human came out they were advertising the SH$t out of it on IGN and that didnt stop them from giving it a low score. This has happened countless other times as well. (just using TH as its an action RPG and similar in this case)

You are free to believe what you want about IGN or other big sites but I know for a fact that IGN gives the review free reign without any outside pressures. In fact they have set up the company specifically so that the marketing team doesnt interface with the writing staff at all.

Bit on the 360 version. PS3 vs. 360 version, no way to know about the final product until it's here, but my bet is the 360 version will be better since it's also available on the PC. As for install...360 will have an optional install. One thing bad about the PS3 sometimes is that it almost always requires an install, but often doesn't increase the loading speed. I'd rather install the full disc and have fast loading speed.

I don't care which console the game is on, as long as it's the one the game is optimized for. Mass Effect and Bioshock are definitely 360 games. The Force Unleashed and Castlevania on the PS3. Bayonetta was virtually unplayable on the PS3 while Spider-man 3 was broken on the 360. The PS3 version of Spider-man 3 has been the best Spider-man game period imo, although a case could be made for Spider-man 2 on the PS2.

As for how I look at reviews...I read/skim several reviews from pro reviewers and users. If most reviews are 75 of better and I'm even kinda interested, it's an eventual "buy" for me. Under 75, I read reviews more carefully for specific pros and cons. If it's a game I was already really interested in, I'll probably end up getting it eventually no matter how piss poor the reviews are. Granted, reviews kept me from getting Alpha Protocol until I could get it for under $10, and there are similar games like that.

If you liked the demo, and you don't have credit anywhere, I say buy the game for the lower price. Encourage companies to be competitive. Paying more for a preorder bonus tells them not only that you like them cutting out parts of your game - but that you'll pay more to get a piece of it back.

[quote name='bonebreak2000']You are free to believe what you want about IGN or other big sites but I know for a fact that IGN gives the review free reign without any outside pressures.[/QUOTE]

You don't know for a fact because it's not a fact, it's an opinion, and one that isn't actually based on facts. Even if you can't see it for yourself, if you'd paid any attention to the issue, you'd know that ign specifically has been called out many times for very suspicious reviews. I was a regular user of their site since before it was ign.com, but I'm not anymore. Not every review by every reviewer on their site is impacted by outside issues, but way too many are. This is off-topic and frankly, pointless, so I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i am really on the edge i have no idea if i should get this for PS3 or 360..... its a total toss up.. Wish there was a good comparison video already.. some times the difference is drastic.. other times its meh

One of the developers posted this message regarding the different versions on the official site:

Hi all!

We've spent a lot of time nurturing this game for every platform it is being released on. We feed and water it, expose it to sunlight, even sing to it if needed. And when all else fails we roll up our sleeves and write some code.

Each platform has its own unique technical strengths and weaknesses. Our goal while coding Reckoning has been to play up the strengths and play down the weaknesses of each to the point that you have the expected, optimal experience on each platform. We've logged thousands of QA hours on all platforms, and are pleased with what they have to say...

I preordered my own Special Edition of this game (Amalur dice are just plain cool)...on the PS3. Hopefully that will help allay any worries that you may have. In fact, around the office everyone seems to have their own platform of choice to play the game on, evenly divided amongst all 3.

So one simplified theoretical example: Let's pretend system A has a lower performing graphics device than system B, but more CPU power. This could lead to a situation where on system B we spend less CPU processing determining what to show on screen, because the video card can handle some of that for us. On system A we could use the CPUs to whittle down more of what should be displayed, thus handing less data off to the video card for display. Neither system is crippled or forced, and to you both scenes will look nearly the same (fast and pretty!). There is a large difference in what goes on technically under the hood to get the game looking and performing how you expect, but the difference to you as a user on the different platforms is subtle or negligible. This example can be applied to almost all the differing subsystems on the consoles, but I feel we achieved our end goal which is to have the game look and feel on both exactly how our designers and artists wanted it to be for you.

We wouldn't cripple a feature on one platform just because the other couldn't handle it, but that really isn't a scenario that came up all that often. We more worried about making sure everything ran fast, looked pretty and sounded great. Those three are often at odds with each other, but I think on all platforms you all will be pleased with the results (I am).
Also, on GameStop's website you can view the back of both of the PS3 and 360 versions and the 360 allows 720p/1080i/1080p whereas the PS3 only allows 480p/720p.

[quote name='Zurcamos']If you liked the demo, and you don't have credit anywhere, I say buy the game for the lower price. Encourage companies to be competitive. Paying more for a preorder bonus tells them not only that you like them cutting out parts of your game - but that you'll pay more to get a piece of it back.

You don't know for a fact because it's not a fact, it's an opinion, and one that isn't actually based on facts. Even if you can't see it for yourself, if you'd paid any attention to the issue, you'd know that ign specifically has been called out many times for very suspicious reviews. I was a regular user of their site since before it was ign.com, but I'm not anymore. Not every review by ever reviewer on their site is impacted by outside issues, but way too many are. This is off-topic and frankly, pointless, so I'm done.[/QUOTE]

You are right that I cant say for a fact on this review. But this isnt a new issue. People have been claiming this for a decade it seems about reviewers. However I can say that I do know for a fact from a few years back because a friend of mine worked there. I asked him after he left, this exact question (when he had no reason to lie to me). He told me it does not happen. It never happened with him, it never happened with anyone else there. No pressure form his boss or anything like that.

I believe him. i understand if you dont. But i think its a little silly to assume that.

What other reviews were called out from IGN? Im curious if it was from the same time frame he worked there.

I was on the fence on whether to get it now for $45 or wait a few months for a cheaper price but... well, I'm really into this game! I hope I'll enjoy it a lot; so far I like the lore they have on their website...

[quote name='suwillgetu']Also, on GameStop's website you can view the back of both of the PS3 and 360 versions and the 360 allows 720p/1080i/1080p whereas the PS3 only allows 480p/720p.[/QUOTE]
This surprises me. You would think being a blu-ray machine and all the PS3 would have 1080p. Also a little surprised neither version is playable in 3-D since a lot of newer releases have been since the past year.

I am surprised about no 3d too. Both skyrim and neither final fantasy was though. I can only guess how pricey that is. I think I am holding out for a buy 2 get 1 with this

[quote name='Ja7Red']This surprises me. You would think being a blu-ray machine and all the PS3 would have 1080p. Also a little surprised neither version is playable in 3-D since a lot of newer releases have been since the past year.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't 360 just upscale?

[quote name='Midnighthawk']Doesn't 360 just upscale?[/QUOTE]

Yes every 360 on the back will show 1080p support. The PS3 doesnt have a scaler built into it.

That doesnt mean that even games on the ps3 are true 1080p or even 730p when they support that format. It means that the dev has made it playable in that format. I think Grand Theft Auto 4 was in a much lower res than 720p on the PS3. But ROckstar basically upscaled it to work on 720 since the machine cant do it itself.

This is a bummer I just checked this weeks ads on not a single discount or GC offer. I guess its time to go to NE and order it and not get it day 1..... :(

finally bit on the PS3 version. Game was a lot of fun in the demo and while I would prefer release date delivery I can wait a few day to save $15.

[quote name='sociopharm02']finally bit on the PS3 version. Game was a lot of fun in the demo and while I would prefer release date delivery I can wait a few day to save $15.[/QUOTE]

Off topic: I've seen many people in here lament the fact that by ordering this from Newegg means they won't be able to play it release day. If you preorder from Gamestop, you'll be able to play it release day along with being able to use any preorder bonuses they're offering. Once your Newegg copy arrives in the mail, return it to Gamestop and get your money back.

Some CAGs have frowned on this practice in the past, and while it's technically "stealing" I guess (Gamestop pays companies money for exclusive preorder items), I'm just putting this out there as an option.

finally found a use for that $40 newegg card a while back. I get taxed so ~$8 total, but should hopefully get it in the mail next day.

I just hope I get the copy I ordered. Never did a preorder from Newegg before and the few people that have said they have had their preorders cancelled on them from Newegg in the past has me concerned.

Just for the hell of it I ordered the PS3 version at Amazon. Got on instant chat with them knowing they would not price match. I gave him the link to both TRU & Newegg and even canceled my order while still on live chat. He did say they are working on being able to PM in the future. I'm sure that was total BS but thought it was worth mentioning.

anyone know if i can pick up my game in store if i preorder it from toys r us? otherwise, im going to just order it from newegg.

[quote name='neil1115']I just hope I get the copy I ordered. Never did a preorder from Newegg before and the few people that have said they have had their preorders cancelled on them from Newegg in the past has me concerned.[/QUOTE]

I really would not worry. It's not as if it's a 1-hour limited-time promotion or something.

[quote name='sdcranford']Just for the hell of it I ordered the PS3 version at Amazon. Got on instant chat with them knowing they would not price match. I gave him the link to both TRU & Newegg and even canceled my order while still on live chat. He did say they are working on being able to PM in the future. I'm sure that was total BS but thought it was worth mentioning.[/QUOTE]

Amazon might just be waiting to match after all their preorders have shipped. If Newegg keeps this price, they most likely will match Wednesday or so.

which version looks superior between all 3 (pc, xbox, ps3)? im debating if i should buy the ps3 from newegg or the pc from amazon. amazon will just cost me 2 dollars more since i have to pay tax on newegg.

i thought there was no tax on this pre-order but there is for me :( idk if its like that for anyone else. shipping is free though

[quote name='Mr. Universe']i thought there was no tax on this pre-order but there is for me :( idk if its like that for anyone else. shipping is free though[/QUOTE]
There's tax in some states. I got taxed because I'm in Cali, which is where NewEgg operates IIRC.

[quote name='nightmare452']Amazon might just be waiting to match after all their preorders have shipped. If Newegg keeps this price, they most likely will match Wednesday or so.[/QUOTE]

Well its sorta pointless at that point. The entire reason to get it from amazon instead of NE is release date delivery.

[quote name='bonebreak2000']Well its sorta pointless at that point. The entire reason to get it from amazon instead of NE is release date delivery.[/QUOTE]

No that is just one of the reasons. No tax for many, credit, discounts, personal preference. There are many reasons why someone prefers amazon over newegg or other companies.

Apparently the Origin pre-load version isn't encrypted and instead uses date verification so people are able to slap a cracked *.EXE in the folder and play early.

Way to go EA! :p

I just got the notice from Newegg that my credit card has been charged and that the game should ship out in the next 24-48 hours :) I'm close to two of Newegg's shipping centers, so I'm hoping I'll get it Tuesday.

[quote name='bonebreak2000']Well its sorta pointless at that point. The entire reason to get it from amazon instead of NE is release date delivery.[/QUOTE]
It may seem silly, but it is something they do quite frequently, and I am thinking they are going to do it with this game. Either add on some credit around Wednesday or just flat out cheaper.

Payment has been charged, hopefully shipped or shipping soon! Pretty excited, but I did want to finish XIII-2 before starting another RPG. Probably only about 2-3 hours from the finish there, though.

I wonder what the odds are that Amazon will drop to 45 bones on release day. They did go back and add an additional 10 dollar credit on FF13 2 on launch day.

[quote name='sinned47']which version looks superior between all 3 (pc, xbox, ps3)? im debating if i should buy the ps3 from newegg or the pc from amazon. amazon will just cost me 2 dollars more since i have to pay tax on newegg.[/QUOTE]

Anyone?

bread's done
Back