Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Thread

Like 35 hours in. I've done the main quest and all the guild lines but now the game is starting to wear on me. I got the same way about Skyrim but it took probably about 30 hours longer to set in.

All the dungeons are the same. All the enemies are the same. I'm over leveled and the random encounters throughout the world are more annoying than fun or challenging.

I really should've waited to get this game. Its a really fun game but I just haven't had much time for it. Im always playing UFC Undisputed 3 and when im not playing that im playing Mass Effect 2. Then Mass Effect 3 comes out in 5 days.

OK for those of us just now getting into the game I thought I would bump this. In terms of the 2 quest add-on packs, are they best played during the main game or post-game? Does either one bump the level cap?

[quote name='MSUHitman']OK for those of us just now getting into the game I thought I would bump this. In terms of the 2 quest add-on packs, are they best played during the main game or post-game? Does either one bump the level cap?[/QUOTE]

i played Legend of Dead Kel and it is a different story so u don't have to beat the game. Its just another quest to do. I do not think that Dead Kel bumps any level caps, its a short 3 hr dlc. Just play Dead Kel whenever u want to pretty much

Gonna start this up tonight for the first time on 360, if anyone wants to play or however this game does coop, my gamertag is therealdanhill, add me and send a message or something.

Unfortunately, there is no online portion to this game but it's still excellent if you enjoy action RPGs. I really think this is an underrated game and is one of the best in its genre. I just finished the main story and really enjoyed it. It takes the best parts of Skyrim, Fable, and Dragon Age and mashes them together.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Thankfully, there is no online portion to this game but it's still excellent if you enjoy action RPGs. I really think this is an underrated game and is one of the best in its genre. I just finished the main story and really enjoyed it. It takes the best parts of Skyrim, Fable, and Dragon Age and mashes them together.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

LOL, yeah true. I never ran across a situation in this game that made me think that it would be better with online, unlike something like Torchlight. Just unfortunate for the poster who thought there was.

Where are the last 2 backpacks? I found the one in the first town early on and just now discovered the ones in the Fae town & Mel Shensir but where are the last 2? Guide only showed the ones in the first town & the Fae town, stumbled on the one in Mel Shensir by accident.

anyone have amular for xbox? if so i have a $10 best buy gc(can be used online too!) and some paypal, amular is sold out in bb for me, pm me. hugs

Just started playing this last night. I wasn't able to scrounge up a $10 copy from Best Buy so I decided to bite the bullet and grab it for $25 from the Microsoft Store. I'm liking it so far. I feel like the full game looks better and runs smoother than I remember from the demo.

The combat is a lot of fun. I think it's silly that your character just stands there and stares blankly at everybody while they talk to you. So glad that BioWare switched to a voiced protagonist for the Dragon Age series.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Just started playing this last night. I wasn't able to scrounge up a $10 copy from Best Buy so I decided to bite the bullet and grab it for $25 from the Microsoft Store. I'm liking it so far. I feel like the full game looks better and runs smoother than I remember from the demo.

The combat is a lot of fun. I think it's silly that your character just stands there and stares blankly at everybody while they talk to you. So glad that BioWare switched to a voiced protagonist for the Dragon Age series.[/QUOTE]

That's the fully customizable (race and looks) silent protagonist for you.

Also DO NOT start the side quest you find early on about retrieving the priests romance novels that are overdue. It's located in the temple in the opening town. Worst side quest in RPG history.

It will literally take the entire game to find all 10 novels, you can't remove them from your inventory until you find all 10, and your reward: 300 gold which won't do jack squat by the end game.

[quote name='MSUHitman']That's the fully customizable (race and looks) silent protagonist for you.

Also DO NOT start the side quest you find early on about retrieving the priests romance novels that are overdue. It's located in the temple in the opening town. Worst side quest in RPG history.

It will literally take the entire game to find all 10 novels, you can't remove them from your inventory until you find all 10, and your reward: 300 gold which won't do jack squat by the end game.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha, too late, I already have one of them. I wondered why I couldn't move it into my stash. I also have an item called the Selkie Hood that I can't get rid of, I guess that means it's significant to am upcoming quest?

Also, do you know how long it takes a warrant for pickpocketing to "wear off"?

[quote name='MSUHitman']That's the fully customizable (race and looks) silent protagonist for you.

Also DO NOT start the side quest you find early on...[/QUOTE]

Well there's kind of no excuse for that since games like Saint's Row have let you customize your character completely and they talk as well (in SR 1, MC didn't talk much, but he had some one liners that I thought were pretty funny)

Thanks for the heads up on that, I might be starting it in a few weeks, and that saves me a lot of headache knowing something like that, with such a paltry reward not being worth my time and taking up my precious inv. slots for so long.

Some of the high-level combat skills are pretty awesome. By the end of the main quest you can get a triple element sorcery attack of fire, ice, and lightning that just levels everything.

Also, be sure to invest at least 25 or 30 (I can't recall the exact number) points Ito your sorcery if you want to be able to do large self-heals without using up potions or slotting health regen on equipment.

I'm sticking to the main quests to start. I just
defeated the Balor
, which was pretty fun. Felt like at that moment, the main quest would have ended, but no dice. Turns out I still have quite the way to go. I read somewhere that the two main quests take approximately 20 hours to finish. I'm already at 24 hours.

I've been playing for maybe 5 or 6 hours so far, and I haven't even touched the main quest yet. And my quest log keeps on getting longer, not shorter. :p

Yeah, it's a lot like Skyrim in that way. It just adds value since you can completely ignore the side quests and still be powerful enough to get through doing the main quest exclusively.

My favorite weapons were the super hammers for sale at some armories with enormous attack values as well as slots for adding armor and health regen. The slotting feature is a neat way to make some unique equipment.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I've been playing for maybe 5 or 6 hours so far, and I haven't even touched the main quest yet. And my quest log keeps on getting longer, not shorter. :p[/QUOTE]

Just wait until you get to the desert area at the south end of the map & the plains in the east, 50% of the games sidequests are in those 2 areas alone. The beginning zones and end zones are much better paced than those two.

Got this for $10 at best buy today. I was planning on getting Darksiders 2 (it may still find it's way onto my shelf next Tuesday....I make bad decisions), but I had wanted to get to this one someday. With the price, the depth, and the DLC on sale this week.....I can't pass this up. It'll keep me busy until AC3 in late October.

I have to admit, though, I'm a little intimidated because I hear this game is mega-huge. I did enjoy the demo, so I suppose more = better.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I have to admit, though, I'm a little intimidated because I hear this game is mega-huge. I did enjoy the demo, so I suppose more = better.[/QUOTE]
I've been playing for 15 hours now, still in the first area and I've still barely touched the main quest so far. So yeah it's huge! Just picked up all the DLC in the 50% off sale on XBLA sale. It's a really fun game.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']I've been playing for 15 hours now, still in the first area and I've still barely touched the main quest so far. So yeah it's huge! Just picked up all the DLC in the 50% off sale on XBLA sale. It's a really fun game.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, especially since we seem to like the same types of games.

I have been taking a break from this game. I pretty much played as a fast attacking rogue/warrior with daggers. What do you guys prefer?

With fast attacks I just felt like the enemy never had a chance to respond.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I have been taking a break from this game. I pretty much played as a fast attacking rogue/warrior with daggers. What do you guys prefer?

With fast attacks I just felt like the enemy never had a chance to respond.[/QUOTE]
That's exactly what I'm doing. I have most of my points in Finesse, a handful in Might, and none in Sorcery.

Amalur has been unusual for me in a couple of respects. One, I usually don't like open world games with a ton of sidequests, I prefer a more linear/guided experience like a BioWare game or a JRPG. But I'm liking this. Two, in an RPG I almost exclusively go for a big dumb warrior-type character, equip the most absurdly large sword possible, and just go in swinging. But in this game I'm really digging the rogue playstyle-- stealth, backstabs, traps, ranged weapons, and everything.

Finished the main story in approximately 30 hours. Gadflow the evil urologist has to be the worst villain in RPG history. Attempting to platinum the game... but it's going to be a grind.

As I talk about on my podcast this week, I did a Finesse/Sorcery female Dokkahar (ie dark elf.) Daggers mapped to X, chakrams mapped to Y, and bows as a back up. Most of the RT abilities were on the sorcery side, with more points on the general buffs on the finesse side. FYI the achievement to unlock a jack of all trades destiny only requires 2 points in each disipline.

Also beware if you use a fateweaver to reset your skills: any skill points you learned from a trainer or a book are lost forever so if you're going to reset do it before spending money on trainers/reading skill books.

As others have said, the DLC is on sale until Tuesday morning. I would definately get the 2 quest expansions and probably avoid the weapon/armor pack. From what I've read, when you buy that and pick it up in the Gorhart chest, it levels to your current level and doesn't get any stronger. Money isn't an issue so you'll find equal level stuff late in the game without the need for the DLC.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Two, in an RPG I almost exclusively go for a big dumb warrior-type character, equip the most absurdly large sword possible, and just go in swinging. But in this game I'm really digging the rogue playstyle-- stealth, backstabs, traps, ranged weapons, and everything.[/QUOTE]

Same thing with me. Never go stealth/rogue in Dragon Age or Skyrim and love it in Amalur.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Same thing with me. Never go stealth/rogue in Dragon Age or Skyrim and love it in Amalur.[/QUOTE]

It's funny, I'm also the same way. I always played the warrior types until DA2, where I played as a mage. But, that's probably the baddest-ass mage I've encountered yet. I'm going to go warrior with mage tendencies as I start KoA. It's nice that you can respec, which I'll probably do at some point to try out the rogue skills, since I hear they're so fun in this game.

I play as a Chakram Weilding Mage. Flimging chakrams and high powered spells. I love the Metoer storms mixed will the tri spell is a room clearer. Love this game, put 80 hours into including both DLC and still having fun. Now to go back and get some last minute Achievements.

[quote name='MSUHitman']
As others have said, the DLC is on sale until Tuesday morning. I would definately get the 2 quest expansions and probably avoid the weapon/armor pack.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I did.:)

I'm downloading Dead Kel right now (I have a weakness for pirate stuff), but I'm still not sold on Naros.

Those who have played it, was it any good?

[quote name='MSUHitman']OK where's the last 2 backpacks? The 3 I got were from Gorhart, Ysa, & Mel Shensir.[/QUOTE]

Anyone have an answer for this?

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I'm downloading Dead Kel right now (I have a weakness for pirate stuff), but I'm still not sold on Naros.

Those who have played it, was it any good?[/QUOTE]

From what I hear, Naros is supposed to be the better of the two. I ended up grabbing two, but haven't tried them yet.

For those of you spinning your wheels in the starting area, I would say move out of that area as soon as possible. It is the least interesting area. The problem you will run into is that if you level up too high in that area, the game becomes pretty easy in the the more interesting areas, even on hard. Either that, or stay away from blacksmithing. I love the game and I love the fact that you feel a lot stronger as the game goes on, but unless you show some self control (or roleplay), it is really easy to make the game boring by taking out all sense of challenge.

OK, now I'm almost 5 hours into the game and although I intended on just following the main quest...I find myself tooling around doing all of the side quests! This is one of *those* games. You know, the games that suck you in and make you stay up late and get in trouble when you fall asleep in meetings at work the next day. I'm so screwed. They had me at "Shepard's Armor".

[quote name='MSUHitman']
Also beware if you use a fateweaver to reset your skills: any skill points you learned from a trainer or a book are lost forever so if you're going to reset do it before spending money on trainers/reading skill books.
[/QUOTE]

You sure? I played on the PC and points from trainers and books are not lost.

As for my character, mine is almost exactly like yours except I'm geared towards Finesse more with spells from Sorcery as my backup and never uses a bow.

One tip: Rewards from certain quests are dependent on which class you put the most points on. So if you favor a certain armor type, make sure you have more points on the desired class.

I'm running very strong magic user - because Mark of Flame aka Mark & Execute is SO AWESOME - with a bow for longer range. I've kept every set piece I came across just in case, and it's been sort of sad to sell off purple swords, hammers, and daggers that look really cool. I guess I could respec to stealth somewhere along the way, but the Chakrams are indeed pretty sweet.

[quote name='glemtvapen']You sure? I played on the PC and points from trainers and books are not lost.

As for my character, mine is almost exactly like yours except I'm geared towards Finesse more with spells from Sorcery as my backup and never uses a bow.

One tip: Rewards from certain quests are dependent on which class you put the most points on. So if you favor a certain armor type, make sure you have more points on the desired class.[/QUOTE]

I reset my character once and I lost 2 skill points (alchemy/persuasion) I had acquired from payment/books.

Finished both of the DLCs. They were really good, especially Dead Kel. I feel like in Dead Kel especially, the devs listened to the "high fantasy by numbers" criticisms of the main game and tried to loosen up a little bit, make things a bit more distinctive, humorous, a little more over-the-top. It worked for me. And I got a super kickass rogue armor set at the very end of Teeth of Naros.

Cool, thanks for the mini-review's, Ryuu. I have this one on the shelf and was having a really good time with it, but got distracted by Darksiders II. I did buy both DLC's the other week, so I have them on the hdd ready and waiting.

bread's done
Back