Kirby's Epic Yarn™

[quote name='dyeknom']Once again, you fail with sarcasm of that original post. I guess we can continue since you apparently don't understand the concept behind saying "a" title character/franchise game as a blanket statement... and just expecting people to selectively excluding the failed explorations into other genres.

Technically, yes... Mario Sports Mix is a MARIO game as he's the title character and seems to almost solely comprised of characters in the Mario world... I would point to both... as they are BOTH part of the mario franchise (though at this point, it's more of an empire). And before you ask, Halo Wars is a HALO game, Pac Man world is a Pac-Man game, Final fantasy X-2/Crystal Chronicles/Chocobo Dungeon/Dirge of Cerebrus are Final Fantasy games, Castlevania judgment is a castlevania game, and even DK jungle beat is a Donkey Kong game. They are ALL part of the same title franchise. Just because it's not the genre you like or THINK should make a "title character/franchise" game... doesnt negate the fact that it's still a game FEATURING that character/franchise as the title character/franchise. Hell, the first post even mentions its his first PLATFORMING game since the n64... not his first "game" since the n64. That's not saying they are good and not just a cash-in on an already successful franchise (because most of the time it is). Shall we continue to be a big bag of d^$%s or can we get back to posting useful information?

Here's some hands on impression of Epic Yarn. http://www.fragland.net/previews/E3-Hands-on-Kirbys-Epic-Yarn/204/
http://wii.ign.com/articles/109/1098702p1.html
Liking the idea of having a Blue Kirby "buddy" join to assist in the game. May be interesting if we can string together some fights (making people miss jumps by ripping yarn) ala Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers :)[/QUOTE]
I full got what you were talking about, that "a game starring X" can technically be labeled as "an X game." But if it's a spinoff that isn't in the same style as what X is known for, then it's reasonably not what one means when they say they are glad to finally have "an X game." If I'm a fan of the Denver Broncos and am anticipating seeing their first game of the new season, I would not be referring to pre-season games since they're not real games.

[quote name='Strell']Oh god I want one :([/QUOTE]

Me too. I don't know what I would do with it though. I'm not really a "patch" sort of person.

Played the game at E3 today. The graphics are very impressive in person. The fuzzy textures of all the textile materials actually makes you forget that the Wii outputs 480p. It just looks like an HD game on one of the other consoles. Smart workaround by Nintendo!

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Me too. I don't know what I would do with it though. I'm not really a "patch" sort of person.[/QUOTE]Ditto. But I'd just sit it right beside my mario hat :lol:

I managed to get one of those Kirby patches at E3. I went on the last day of the expo, when it suddenly became one of the hottest freebies on the show floor because almost everything else had run out. The lines took forever because there were only 4 kiosks. The demo lasted a good 20-25 minutes, and you had to play through the whole thing to get the patch. Thankfully, there were quite a few people ahead of me who left the line because it was taking too long. One person in front of me claimed to have been waiting for over 2 hours. I knew the 3DS and Zelda Skyward Sword lines would be long, but never figured that Kirby would have that wait, too!

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Kirby patch show up as a pre-order bonus or Nintendo Club item in the future. I was at the Nintendo booth when everything was being packed away and dismantled. They had buckets full of the patches, but weren't handing out anymore. There must have been a good couple thousand left over, and that's just what I saw. Who knows how many they might have had in the back?

[quote name='crunchewy']Oooh... I hope that patch ends up on Club Nintendo! I'd buy that for ... 200 points.[/QUOTE]
Ditto.

Gametrailers names this as Best Graphics of E3.

Gamespot names this:

Best Wii Title
Best Platformer (All Platforms)
Best Game of E3 (All Platforms)

I name this:

Best Swag at E3

Last edited by a moderator:
Man this game looks GREAT. Kirby is the one Nintendo franchise that seems more likely to go "outside the box" in concept. I loved Canvas Curse and this looks even more original and creative than that.

I've never really played any of the Kirby games, they've never really drawn my interest that much, but this game looks like it could be really cool.

I love Kirby and can't wait for this game,I'm really happy to hear that their adding multiplayer to this title.I also love the yarn look they went for with the art style,and I bet this game inspires a fan to make a blanket or quilt in this style. :)

Is it just me or is this, NSMB, and that new Donkey Kong game basically the same thing minus a game mechanic or two? Oh yea, and Paper Mario.

[quote name='kiribee']I thought it said Epic Perm for a split sec....[/QUOTE]

Afro_Kirby_Wallpaper_by_master_funk_9000.jpg

[quote name='Thorgouge']Is it just me or is this, NSMB, and that new Donkey Kong game basically the same thing minus a game mechanic or two? Oh yea, and Paper Mario.[/QUOTE]

don't feed the trolls, don't feed the trolls, don't feed the trolls...

[quote name='Thorgouge']Is it just me or is this, NSMB, and that new Donkey Kong game basically the same thing minus a game mechanic or two? Oh yea, and Paper Mario.[/QUOTE]

Its you.

[quote name='cheapgamer132']Joystiq posted a game guide video of this game.I'm not sure If its old news now but I decided to post it since everyone might not have seen it yet.

http://www.joystiq.com/video/5f9b5681[/QUOTE]
That looks beautiful. The more they stick to the yarn/crafts theme (buttons, zips, etc.), the better. They're doing the lord's work on this one.

Awesome looks like I'll use the $20 credit from Metroid on this. Hope they add a video game credit to this as well. Since I already pre-ordered, because it was in my goldbox can I just email Amazon and have them apply the $20 credit to it?

[quote name='Got_Wii']Awesome looks like I'll use the $20 credit from Metroid on this. Hope they add a video game credit to this as well. Since I already pre-ordered, because it was in my goldbox can I just email Amazon and have them apply the $20 credit to it?[/QUOTE]

Go into your account, check your open orders and click on the kirby order. near the top of the page there should be a message that asks you if you want to apply your credit to the order. click on that, and it's a done deal. credit applied.

Edit: actually, that may only work for gift cards and not promo credits. I assumed that gift cards/promo credits would work the same but they may not.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Go into your account, check your open orders and click on the kirby order. near the top of the page there should be a message that asks you if you want to apply your credit to the order. click on that, and it's a done deal. credit applied.

Edit: actually, that may only work for gift cards and not promo credits. I assumed that gift cards/promo credits would work the same but they may not.[/QUOTE]

The only way to apply promo credit (or rather the only method of which I'm aware) is to contact CS, either by phone or e-mail. You can't directly apply a promo credit in the same way as a gift card unfortunately.

What I've had them do in the past is just to lower the price of the game by the amount of my promo credit, i.e. change Epic Yarn from $49.99 to $29.99. That seems to be the easiest thing to do, unless you have any percentage codes in play (some have old ECA code orders still open).

As for the actual game (the thing this whole thread is about :p) I'm really tempted to bite. I'm debating canceling my Epic Mickey pre-order and replacing it with this. My only real concern is that Kirby games tend to be a bit too easy. They're entertaining, but the lack of challenge takes a bit away. Then again, the sheer charm of this is almost irresistible, even though I've already got Metroid and Donkey Kong pre-ordered.

[quote name='Got_Wii']Awesome looks like I'll use the $20 credit from Metroid on this. Hope they add a video game credit to this as well. Since I already pre-ordered, because it was in my goldbox can I just email Amazon and have them apply the $20 credit to it?[/QUOTE]
You'd have to contact CS but they're stingy on adding promo credit to a pre-order. I would cancel your order. It'll show up again in your Gold Box, there's plenty of time between now and it's release.

I put a pre-order down for this today and added my Amazon promo credit from Metroid Other M to it, it took the price down to $30. I didn't have any problems with it from my experience honestly.

Nonetheless, its going to be a pretty sweet game and I'm glad its coming in October given I have nothing else to play. :p

I can't wait for this game to come out.it seems like they handled it with such great care, I just can't get over how adorable the yarn art style is. :)

This game is going to be really cool. Kmart is throwing in a $20 gaming coupon if you get the game release week. Check it out!

[quote name='Josh5890']This game is going to be really cool. Kmart is throwing in a $20 gaming coupon if you get the game release week. Check it out![/QUOTE]

Cant wait for release day, hope the coupon date is long enough to use it on Donkey Kong Returns.

[quote name='Josh5890']This game is going to be really cool. Kmart is throwing in a $20 gaming coupon if you get the game release week. Check it out![/QUOTE]

Just realize that their gaming coupons expire, and the length of time that they're good is short. Havign said that, if the coupon isn't restricted to Wii stuff, I may go this route and then use the coupon to buy a Microsoft Points card, and use that to top off my account to take advantage of the XBLA/DLC spend 2400 points ($30) get 800 points ($10) rebate sale going there. That would be perfect! Can you use their gaming coupons on points cards? I'm not sure.

[quote name='crunchewy']Just realize that their gaming coupons expire, and the length of time that they're good is short. Havign said that, if the coupon isn't restricted to Wii stuff, I may go this route and then use the coupon to buy a Microsoft Points card, and use that to top off my account to take advantage of the XBLA/DLC spend 2400 points ($30) get 800 points ($10) rebate sale going there. That would be perfect! Can you use their gaming coupons on points cards? I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

You sure can use them on point cards!

[quote name='crunchewy']Just realize that their gaming coupons expire, and the length of time that they're good is short. [/QUOTE]

There was talk in the Kmart thread of the coupons having longer dates of use coming soon, possibly 45 days.

[quote name='Altanis']I'm not surprised it wasn't originally a Kirby game.

It doesn't seem like a Kirby game.[/QUOTE]

No, but like Canvas Curse, after changing direction they presumably tweaked the controls to feel a bit more like a Kirby game, and if this Prince Fluff character works out, he could get his own game, ala Wario.

Yep, and if this game sells well, Nintendo has a new IP that they can milk for all it's worth, and make millions.

It's really a bright idea.

I'm still waiting on a Waluigi game though (unless I'm just retarded, I don't think there are any?)

I'm glad its Kirby, if only because the last time we got a console Kirby game, it was on the N64 and I was 12 years old. I loved Kirby's handheld games but it was way overdue.

Okay, do this: Think of the cutest, most adorable thing ever.

Kirby's Epic Yarn > What you just thought of

[quote name='KingBroly']Kirby's Epic Yarn > What you just thought of[/QUOTE]

Cuter than the baby Tiger on Kinectimals? :roll:

bread's done
Back