Kirby's Epic Yarn™

I played the game for around an hour and 15 minutes today, all co-op with a friend.

I had serious flashbacks to two other great Wii games: Wario Land: Shake It! and NSMB Wii. I have almost no experience with Kirby games, but it's fun so far.

I don't see how the Prince will be in any spinoffs, seems like a one-off character made for story and co-op purposes. (Similar to Louie in Pikmin 2)

Minor gameplay element spoilers:
The game introduces some weird Animal Crossing room decoration mini game. Some of the collectible items are furniture, and you decorate a room to certain specifications to unlock hide and seek (possibly others?) mini games for levels you already played on.

It's very much worth it. The graphics really surprised me with how good they were.

I keep reading that it reminds everyone of Wario Land and NSMB Wii (more Wario Land than NSMB since the team behind Kirby made Wario Land), but when I read that, I always think positive things.

NSMB Wii and Wario Land are great games. This just makes me want Kirby's Epic Yarn even more.

I hope my KMart still has some in stock on Friday. That's the first day I can get out there. Too bad I already own the three games you can get for $20 off, or else I'd probably buy one of them too.

Excited for this one.

About the *only* concern I have is that, when looking at those screens/video, I wish Kirby was "filled in". I think I'm gonna have a bit of a problem keeping track of him sometimes. (My vision is poor.)

Otherwise, I'll be getting this at Kmart.

[quote name='JCally']I wonder if it'll hold it's value over time like most 1st party Nintendo titles, or drop after 5 or 6 months.[/QUOTE]

I think it'll hold its value, if it gets the sales. Reason why Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, and Super Mario games don't drop is because they continually sell well. You get a game like Wario Land: Shake It!, ExciteBots, or something like that and it's not likely to sell well, and the price drops.

I don't think it'll be a drastic drop off, if there is one. I could see it like NSMB Wii did: It holds it value for the most part, but glitches here and there drop the price every once in a while (I'm thinking GameStop's Father's Day promo glitch, made NSMB $17.50 + $10 coupon, Amazon having it for I think $30 or $35 plus $10 credit, etc).

I played one level at the NY Comic-Con. It's pretty fun and looks amazing, although a bit easy. I can see how people are comparing it to New Super Mario Bros Wii, as one can interact with the other player and create problems for them (instead of cooperating). The production quality is top notch. I also got to try Donkey Kong Country Returns and Kirby was a lot more enjoyable; Donkey Kong was more of the same with nicer graphics.

[quote name='2DMention']There's too many games with "Epic" in the title.[/QUOTE]

I was saying the game thing about "Super" 15-20 years ago.

I'm probably going to seem really stupid, but I can only think of two (Epic Mickey & Kirby's Epic Yarn).

Which others are there?

I just stopped by my local K-Mart and they already have copies in stock.

I might just need to make this my birthday present. My 4 year old could use a game that isn't too tough. (As much as he likes SMG2, it is too tough for him.)

[quote name='The Crotch']Wait, wait, wait.

There's a kirby toque now? The fuck did that happen?[/QUOTE]

Shwag item that came with the review copy.

Games like this are the reason why everyone is still chasing Nintendo when it comes to family friendly games. Didn't care much for NSMB as a multi-player experience, but spent great quality time with wifey and kids and this game.

I just beat the first boss. Honestly, I'm not that impressed. The visuals and music are fantastic, and the game is obviously charming, but there's really not much of a game here.

Awaiting KEY Gourmet Race Snoop Dogg Drop it like it's Hot remix.

Also VERY surprised you even admitted to playing a Wii game, evanft. Cute.

[quote name='Strell']Awaiting KEY Gourmet Race Snoop Dogg Drop it like it's Hot remix.

Also VERY surprised you even admitted to playing a Wii game, evanft. Cute.[/QUOTE]

4 of my blog posts since like December have been either reviews or impressions of Wii games. Try again.

On the 3rd world. So far I love this game. The visuals, music and tight gameplay are just magical. It makes me feel like a little kid. I find myself smiling the whole time I play.

If you don't like this game you're a communist.

While I love the game with its' cuteness, I don't feel more kid-like than I did when I first played Mega Man 9. It might just be because I'm not that big of a Kirby fan.

I will say this though: MANLIEST GAME OF THE YEAR!

My copy comes in tomorrow, along with Lufia DS, so I can't wait to sink my teeth into it. I heard there's no "Game Over" or life, which is interesting. My fiancee might not throw out so many curse words this time around. We played Kirby's Adventure and uhh...man, never so many f-bombs for a Kirby game. :D

And yes, this is the MANLIEST GAME OF THE YEAR! It takes a real man to endure Kirby. :p

Don't be fooled - this game has more deaths than a Kirby game should. It's somewhat hard. (Get hit- lose gems - lose gold medal rating - ragequit ==death)

[quote name='Doomed']Don't be fooled - this game has more deaths than a Kirby game should. It's somewhat hard. (Get hit- lose gems - lose gold medal rating - ragequit ==death)[/QUOTE]

:) Yep, and if you factor in the wifey being responsible for lost gems and deaths, it's even more painful.

[quote name='Doomed']Don't be fooled - this game has more deaths than a Kirby game should. It's somewhat hard. (Get hit- lose gems - lose gold medal rating - ragequit ==death)[/QUOTE]

Shit lol, well, I guess I can expect her to be giving the finger to Kirby again lol :p Its funny, she's shy and very kindhearted, but give her a game like Kirby and its like watching a drunkard play Gears of War. :lol:

[quote name='dragonjud']:) Yep, and if you factor in the wifey being responsible for lost gems and deaths, it's even more painful.[/QUOTE]

I guess now I'm glad my girlfriend didn't want to play earlier tonight. :lol:

Definitely warming up to this game. I was gonna go through it and I thought maybe I'd be bored. But, I found myself saying "one more level" more than a few times tonight.

[quote name='KingBroly']This game's over-abundance of cuteness is making me sick.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more, I just want to reach into the game and hug it.... My wife loves it and I love watching her play it but I get man rage from cuteness overload.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is cuter than a kitten sleeping with a baby panda.
a;lsdfja;lksfjd;lakjfsdCUTEOVERLOADal;dfafdlja;ldaklsjdf;alsdfj

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

YARN CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I could cry, I would be balling manly tears of justice right now. I'm not kidding when I say I can't either.

EDIT:

YARN COOKIE!!!

I honestly cannot wait till either Thursday night or Friday when I pick up a copy. A 91 on Metacritic and a cuteness factor that makes baby pandas look hideous? I'm in, no questions asked.

Wifey and I decided that some stages are simply not meant to be played 2 players without causing harm to relationship and extra cursing. Therefore, one of us will finish those stages, and the other person will simply redo it for the cause of gem collecting.
One such stage is that one that has the water take you back quite often if you get hit by the yarn insects/bees. That ain't much fun when you have to kill some bees, and jump at the same time to collect gems. At the same time you're trying to avoid erroneously grabbing your partner and hurling him/her across the screen...:lol:

Just when you think there's no possible way they could make you smile again, they throw in something else.

Unfortunately, I can't play my copy until my son comes off his month long prohibition of the Wii for misbehaving. Well, I can, but I'd rather not tease him with it or else I'd be in for a whole lot of grief.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Unfortunately, I can't play my copy until my son comes off his month long prohibition of the Wii for misbehaving. Well, I can, but I'd rather not tease him with it or else I'd be in for a whole lot of grief.[/QUOTE]

LOL. I have to wait for my soon to be 8 year old's birthday before I'll get to play. :(

[quote name='crunchewy']LOL. I have to wait for my soon to be 8 year old's birthday before I'll get to play. :([/QUOTE]

The funny thing is, I bought it for MY birthday. ;)

[quote name='TheLongshot']The funny thing is, I bought it for MY birthday. ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, it would be for my birthday if mine came first. :) I'm looking forward to late-ish November.

So far I'm digging this game. The artwork and soundtrack are really good, and there is more stuff to do/collect in here than I imagined. Too bad I dont have much time to play a lot of it this week!

I got the game yesterday and wanted to share my initial thoughts after finishing ALL of the first world.

One thing's for sure, the production values in this game really are top notch. Bright, colorful well done graphics and animation. Control is excellent too. Was the 10 year wait for an actual brand new Kirby adventure worth it to me? At this point after 1 world I would certainly say so. We really need more games like this and fewer FPSes. This is a very cute game and I have no problem with that. Music is much better than I thought it would be so far. I was concerned with that aspect of the game most after seeing a few of the trailers.

One thing I want to really comment on is the whole "No way to die and zero difficulty" comments that have been going around. The essential levels you positively have to pass through in order to go from one world to the next WILL be a cakewalk. There are no if's, and's or but's about that. You should have no problem getting well more than enough beads to get the gold medals for each stage. However, there IS some degree of challenge required for the extra stages that you can unlock for each world. As for me personally, I did have to play the 2 extra stages in World 1 a few times before I coukd get through them with enough beads for the gold medal and get all 3 treasures. Especially the one extra stage in the first world, without spoiling everything-it's a level with automatic scrolling so you REALLY need to be paying attention and keep up if you want enough beads for gold plus all the treasures. Neither of the extra stages I've played so far has been super difficult by any means, but in the one you do have to really look around and explore a big chunk of the level to get everything and the other you need to keep up with the scrolling and be observant. What I'm trying to say is in those levels I certainly did not feel the treasures or gold medal were just "handed" to me. I did have to do some degree of work to earn them. The boss at the end of the first world you can very easily beat-if you just want to progress that is. You see, in this case you truly need to "beat" this boss by getting ALL the beads he drops, as well as figure out how to get some extra beads aside from the obvious ones he drops in order to unlock one of the extra levels. Completing that extra level will open up the 2nd extra level. Anyway, if you get hit just a few times during that fight, you can pretty much kiss unlocking the extra levels goodbye and will need to redo it if you want to open that up. My point is that I wholeheartedly agree with the one review that said losing all your beads during those times is far greater punishment than a "game over" screen would be. You might be frustrated but it's the kind of frustrated that makes you go "c'mon I can do this", where you can SEE what you need to do and there's no half hour of guess work involved. That in turn makes you want to try again. And you will get it within a few tries.

But please don't let the cakewalk main levels scare you away from this game because everyone should at least check it out. it's got phenomenonal production values and it's FUN. The kind of fun games used to be many years ago and the kind of fun gaming needs to go back to being. If you want a nice, relaxing game that will not stress you out, make you curse and leave you genuinely smiling both while you play and long after you turn the Wii off this is that game. It's so cute you can't help but smile and be happy while playing. I feel it's well worth the 50 bucks admission price and I hope everyone who's bought the game as well feels that way. This is the kind of game that shows how incredible an imaginative game can be-and that you don't need violence or headshots in order to make a great game.

As a side note if you have a Kmart nearby and plan to pick up the game, do it there since you'll get a 20 dollar gaming credit coupon with it. It's a great deal and these gaming coupons will help a LOT with the 4 major releases I'm planning to pick up next month.

I haven't played very far yet and have only made it through the first world. Game has been pretty easy, but what Kirby game hasn't?

I'm really impressed with the art direction and animation in this game however. By far one of the best looking Wii games.

[quote name='icedrake523']Reading this thread makes me glad I'm a childless bachelor.[/QUOTE]

I dunno about that. Buying games for no reason means I have too many games that I somehow dont have time to play.

bread's done
Back