Let's talk Skyrim! (Gameplay footage inside.)

I'm not missing spellmaking terribly. It was just one of the ten billion ways to totally, totally break the game.

Also, you never climbed up the side of a building and ninja'd your way across rooftops?

SURPRISE ARROWS, bitches!

Another great Daggerfall memory: completely breaking the game from the start with the custom class system. Load up on weaknesses that won't affect you in any way (or that are invalidated by racial resistances), then pour on the class powers. fuck yeah.

Open Lock spell was in Oblivion not just Daggerfall (maybe Morrowind too, forgot) not that you needed it. You could be level 1 Lockpicking and still pick any lock in Oblivion, snapping the tumblers into place was easy. Morrowind on the other hand, Lockpicking was just "attacking" the door with a pick and hoping your dice roll wins...

Daggerfall was awesome, don't forget Horse+Cart = laugh at carry weight. Jumping buildings was fun, can't believe that was taken out of Skyrim. No athletics? Fine. No acrobatics? Awww

Blinding boots of Speed...yes there were some ways to survive that jump, fun times in Morrowind.

Isn't there a mod out there for arachnophobes? It changes all spider enemies to some nondescript monster?

I love that kind of bullshit. Not that I'd use it, but it's funny to see someone takes it that seriously. Same goes for the balloon breast mods. Keep on keepin on, perverts.

Yeah, there's one that changes them all to bears. The animation's a bit fucked on that one, though.

There's also one that turns them in to mudcrabs, which makes far more sense.

DA2 had similar mods, so you could see dogs in place of spiders - and that game had a fuckload of spiders. Having dogs descend from the ceiling is far better.

[quote name='The Crotch']Well.

I'm done with this game forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvMnXRZhiuI
[/QUOTE]

Bahahaha, you had to have done that? I've never seen people who look like that, nice colors on those clothes right there. :rofl: Why were there sooo many? I've seen dups of characters (up to triplets) who all stand in the same spot and say the same things, but I've never seen them inside a city and never so many...and they all look dead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvMnXRZhiuI
[/QUOTE]

That mod was pretty funny. I think the bear one wouldn't be as great...its unfortunate that nobody has figured out how to get mods to console people yet.

Unfortunately, quoting Youtube videos sometimes breaks threads, so here's what he tried to say:[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']That mod was pretty funny. I think the bear one wouldn't be as great...its unfortunate that nobody has figured out how to get mods to console people yet.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That mod was pretty funny. I think the bear one wouldn't be as great...its unfortunate that nobody has figured out how to get mods to console people yet.

P.S. The thread breaking quotes should really be fixed. Its been like that for a long time.

Is that spider thing a mod, or is it in the vanilla game? Because that is AWESOME. I didn't even type AWESOME in capital letters; it's just so awesome that the word capitalized itself.

Santa brings this on Sunday. Can't wait.

I'm sure I'm throwing myself to the wolves here but... what makes Skyrim so great that everyone's so in love with it? I'm only a few hours in but this game feels like it's following the same formula that Fallout 3 established (open world, lots to do, but every accessible) years ago.

I'll admit that this game is loads better than Oblivion in terms of stability and option/item management (again, probably due to following Fallout 3) but other than that, I don't really see the draw.

BTW, is there a town map (not a world map, but one that shows all the stores/places within a town) in this game? I can't find shit...

[quote name='Vinny']I'm sure I'm throwing myself to the wolves here but... what makes Skyrim so great that everyone's so in love with it? I'm only a few hours in but this game feels like it's following the same formula that Fallout 3 established (open world, lots to do, but every accessible) years ago.

I'll admit that this game is loads better than Oblivion in terms of stability and option/item management (again, probably due to following Fallout 3) but other than that, I don't really see the draw.

BTW, is there a town map (not a world map, but one that shows all the stores/places within a town) in this game? I can't find shit...[/QUOTE]

for me its like being in a conan type world and alot of the random shit you encounter and can do is freakin fun. i especially dig on being able to
reanimate corpses
as much of a whore for romero and that genre as i am theres nothing better than to go around and do the do.

i do feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things you can do though since this is my first experience with this kind of game but i like it.

the new update fixed some shit that was broken for me but i wish theyed tweak the horse camera controls. i also think its odd you can fight while on horse but whatever.

for me its like dead island theres no denying the games got issues that keep it from being the perfect experience but theres a ton there that overshadows the crap.

I'm not saying the game really has issues (as Oblivion did for me), just that I don't see what's so special about this. It's basically Fallout 3 in Dragon Age's world.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm not saying the game really has issues (as Oblivion did for me), just that I don't see what's so special about this. It's basically Fallout 3 in Dragon Age's world.[/QUOTE]

i guess its a new experience for me then since i never played fallout either. if youve played alt of these types of games i could understand how you might not be impressed by it. like how i felt about uncharted 3 sp. just more of the same and maybe not as great as its predecessors.

Well, maybe I spoke to early... after beating the first game, getting Lydia (storage!), and doing some exploring, I'm loving this game.

The only bad thing is that it already froze on me twice now.:whistle2:?

[quote name='Vinny']Well, maybe I spoke to early... after beating the first game, getting Lydia (storage!), and doing some exploring, I'm loving this game.

The only bad thing is that it already froze on me twice now.:whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

like i said its far from perfect but very fun especially once you start exploring the area. now that you have her you should be able to get together plenty of money to buy a place in town.

[quote name='pimpinc333']When is the new update coming out? I stopped playing when 1.2 ruined the game. Anyone know?[/QUOTE]

the 1.03 update for ps3 is already out.

[quote name='Vinny']Well, maybe I spoke to early... after beating the first game, getting Lydia (storage!), and doing some exploring, I'm loving this game.

The only bad thing is that it already froze on me twice now.:whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

Also, this game appeals to many peoples play styles. You can 1-hand weapon+Shield, 1-hand weapon+Magic, dual wield weapons, dual wield magic, 1st person, 3rd person. Fallout is what, point a gun and shoot maybe a grenade throw? Fallout 3 was old and generic when it came out in my eyes.

Dragons.

No perk reallocation is a big fault in Skyrim. What if after awhile you decide you don't like destruction magic, you're stuck with those perks spent.

I really like the Nordic and Northern feel of this game, just listen to the theme music in chant when loading up the game. Oblivion was ok when looking at wilderness. But after the 20th Ayelid ruins all looking the same, even layout sometimes it gets boring unlike Skyrim. Plus I really dislike the Oblivion gates.

Skyrim even changed up the Guild system somewhat from Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion. You can actually see how the world has changed in 200 years.

The openness of this game is rather large. Just sharing stories with friends who played it we all have had different experiences. One magic user friend didn't even know there was 1st and 3rd person melee killshot cams.

How long did it take for you guys to get your first 100K CARRIED (in hours)? I'm not talking about the "most gold found" stat, I'm talking about the "most gold carried" stat that earns you the trophy/achivement Golden Touch.

[quote name='lokizz']like i said its far from perfect but very fun especially once you start exploring the area. now that you have her you should be able to get together plenty of money to buy a place in town.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I already bought a house and have started hoarding things. Must hoard more...

The game's still a bit too glitchy. Lydia gets lost or stuck too often, and there's a quest I can't finish (it tells me to deliver something, I talk to the person with the item in my inventory, but the option to deliver it isn't there). Not to mention the freezing (hasn't happened since the first two, knock on wood) and random pauses/stuttering.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Also, this game appeals to many peoples play styles. You can 1-hand weapon+Shield, 1-hand weapon+Magic, dual wield weapons, dual wield magic, 1st person, 3rd person. Fallout is what, point a gun and shoot maybe a grenade throw? Fallout 3 was old and generic when it came out in my eyes.

Dragons.[/QUOTE]

Hence why I said this game is Fallout 3 in Dragon Age's world... and the Dragon battles in this game aren't as dramatic as I'd thought they'd be. The dragons move way too quickly/unrealistically and aren't really that aggressive (though they are powerful).

I do like that there's so many different styles of play you choose... though I'm sort of a hybird mage/swordsman/archer.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, I already bought a house and have started hoarding things. Must hoard more...

The game's still a bit too glitchy. Lydia gets lost or stuck too often, and there's a quest I can't finish (it tells me to deliver something, I talk to the person with the item in my inventory, but the option to deliver it isn't there). Not to mention the freezing (hasn't happened since the first two, knock on wood) and random pauses/stuttering.

Hence why I said this game is Fallout 3 in Dragon Age's world... and the Dragon battles in this game aren't as dramatic as I'd thought they'd be. The dragons move way too quickly/unrealistically and aren't really that aggressive (though they are powerful).

I do like that there's so many different styles of play you choose... though I'm sort of a hybird mage/swordsman/archer.[/QUOTE]

lydia is a dumbass ive had to reset games a number of times because shed run into any battle even after telling her to hang back. once i get back to dragons reach im gonna fire her but thats going to take a while since I
did a drinking contest with some guy in the bar and ended up on the other damn side of the map lol.

ive had issues with mining and when the prompt to do so shows up nothings happens when i hit triangle but you can still mine by equipping the pickaxe and attacking the ore location.

im doing what youre doing though using archery , magic and swords a black elf though.the amount of magic you can use is freaking overwhelming but fun.

[quote name='lokizz']

im doing what youre doing though using archery , magic and swords a black elf though.the amount of magic you can use is freaking overwhelming but fun.[/QUOTE]

How do you learn more magic? I've only got the basic fire spell, shock spell, and healing spell. I'm pretty sure I learned the shock spell but I can't remember how...:whistle2:k

I also just learned how to enchant stuff... man, I wish they would have gone a bit more in depth with it earlier.

yeah what he said also if you see a book read it you can gain alot of experience for your diff abilities with books as well as open up sidequests. spellbooks are all over the place make sure you budget for them because they run in the hundreds. finally found 2 more summons but i cant use them yet they cost a shit ton of magika. btw do most of you find yourself upgrading magika and stamina more than health? oh yeah scrolls also have spells.

im only level 20 now but most of stuff has went to those 2 i think i only upgraded health twice but im still trucking. finally got out of the
robot area
fucking hell that bit itself felt longer than damn near any sp game ive played in a while. its funny how little segments of the game can feel so epic especially when you finally complete them and come out with new abilities and armor.

[quote name='lokizz']yeah what he said also if you see a book read it you can gain alot of experience for your diff abilities with books as well as open up sidequests. spellbooks are all over the place make sure you budget for them because they run in the hundreds. finally found 2 more summons but i cant use them yet they cost a shit ton of magika. btw do most of you find yourself upgrading magika and stamina more than health? oh yeah scrolls also have spells.

im only level 20 now but most of stuff has went to those 2 i think i only upgraded health twice but im still trucking. finally got out of the
robot area
fucking hell that bit itself felt longer than damn near any sp game ive played in a while. its funny how little segments of the game can feel so epic especially when you finally complete them and come out with new abilities and armor.[/QUOTE]

Scrolls are one-time use only though, I sell all of them no matter how good they are personally. As far as the "what do you level up" question, I have only leveled up Magicka and Health after like 38 levels. Got myself the Steed Stone and I have no need to level up Stamina, as I think that is the only real reason to level up Stamina (carrying weight). I use power attacks all the time but I wouldn't use a level up on Stamina just for that when I can increase my Magicka or Health.

Damn, I've been reading (or at least, pressing the read button in game.. haven't bothered to actually read any myself) every book I can find. I got a few skill/trait upgrades, but only the shock spell for magic. I've got 4000 gold (not to mention a house full of gems/items) so I can spare some money.

I met a blood dragon, he killed me three times. The fight was tough but I can get him down to 1/4 health before he just eats me. I tried running (even that warping Dragonborn ability), using shout... nothing works. He just finishes me in a few bites... kinda cheap...:whistle2:/

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Scrolls are one-time use only though, I sell all of them no matter how good they are personally. As far as the "what do you level up" question, I have only leveled up Magicka and Health after like 38 levels. Got myself the Steed Stone and I have no need to level up Stamina, as I think that is the only real reason to level up Stamina (carrying weight). I use power attacks all the time but I wouldn't use a level up on Stamina just for that when I can increase my Magicka or Health.[/QUOTE]

where do you find that stone at ?

If you play this on the PC, definitely look into the SkyBoost mod. It works like TESVAL in that it (IIRC) optimizes a lot of methods used by the game. It is somewhat YMMV as it is playing with code that triggers events/quests/etc., so there could be unseen issues.

However, it gives a free FPS boost, in essence. All things being equal, I got between 4 and 10 more FPS in cities like Whiterun, Markarth, and Riften. (25-31, 24-28, 20-30 respectively.) This is on a decent rig (i7 870, 5770, 4GB RAM, etc.) with most settings on Ultra (+ custom HQ shadows in .ini).

But it's not just about max gains and more about smoothing out the worst effects of FPS drops. Using benchmarking in RadeonPro, the overall graph of the "after" in runthroughs of various cities is much smoother, with smaller drops, than the "before." Whereas before the FPS could swing wildly, using SkyBoost seems to restrain the worst of that.

So definitely look into it. Super easy to install (drag and drop two files).

Link to the mod, ya derp: http://alexander.sannybuilder.com/Files/tes/SkyBoost_r2.zip
[quote name='Vinny']Damn, I've been reading (or at least, pressing the read button in game.. haven't bothered to actually read any myself) every book I can find. I got a few skill/trait upgrades, but only the shock spell for magic. I've got 4000 gold (not to mention a house full of gems/items) so I can spare some money.[/QUOTE]
Spell and skill books are quite easy to identify. Skill books are worth 40-60 gold and give you the skill the second you activate them. Spellbooks... well, they're spellbooks. They have the spell school as cover art and everything. And there are shitloads of 'em in stores. There are a few non-spell, non-skill random books that give quests, too.

If you're going to use much destruction magic, I suggest you use a mod that strengthens them - won't link to one specifically, as there are many, and which one you use is a personal choice thing - because destruction gets terribly underpowered as the game goes on.

[quote name='The Crotch']Link to the mod, ya derp: http://alexander.sannybuilder.com/Files/tes/SkyBoost_r2.zip

Spell and skill books are quite easy to identify. Skill books are worth 40-60 gold and give you the skill the second you activate them. Spellbooks... well, they're spellbooks. They have the spell school as cover art and everything. And there are shitloads of 'em in stores. There are a few non-spell, non-skill random books that give quests, too.

If you're going to use much destruction magic, I suggest you use a mod that strengthens them - won't link to one specifically, as there are many, and which one you use is a personal choice thing - because destruction gets terribly underpowered as the game goes on.[/QUOTE]

i dont use it that much personally because more times than not i get killed because it doesnt work that well. i mostly summon things, heal and reanimate dead things. that
ice antroch is sick makes the flame one look like a joke.

Here's a good tip, if you can't see the front of the book or don't notice what the cover looks like, if the book name starts with "Spelltome: xxxx" then it is a spellbook.

found the stone and it didnt help for shit lol. now my horse is dead and im still stuck moving slow. is there a place near or around that stone where i can buy a horse? also is there any value in getting a dog?

[quote name='lokizz']found the stone and it didnt help for shit lol. now my horse is dead and im still stuck moving slow. is there a place near or around that stone where i can buy a horse? also is there any value in getting a dog?[/QUOTE]

How could it not have helped? It adds 100 pounds to your carry weight, what do you carry around 600 pounds of stuff everywhere? Also, virtually no value in getting a dog.

It dies somewhat quickly if you are in a tough spot, runs in front of you (love eating magic spells apparently) and does very little damage to enemies. Its only 500 gold, but unless you have that money to waste I wouldn't do it.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']How could it not have helped? It adds 100 pounds to your carry weight, what do you carry around 600 pounds of stuff everywhere? Also, virtually no value in getting a dog.

It dies somewhat quickly if you are in a tough spot, runs in front of you (love eating magic spells apparently) and does very little damage to enemies. Its only 500 gold, but unless you have that money to waste I wouldn't do it.[/QUOTE]

my weight overall was a bit over 2000 but i got it all figured out. found a place with a horse warped back to white and took all the available gold in town then what was left over i dropped off at home. i pick up everything dropped by enemies theres alt of money in that.

That's a terrible, terrible idea. There's a shitload of money in the game. If the item isn't worth at least 50 gold for every one unit of weight, it's not really worth bringing back for sale. Picking up everything - all the bonemeal, all the worthless weapons and armour - will just give you a headache and a bunch of useless stuff sitting in a chest at home because vendor gold is highly limited.

[quote name='The Crotch']If you're going to use much destruction magic, I suggest you use a mod that strengthens them - won't link to one specifically, as there are many, and which one you use is a personal choice thing - because destruction gets terribly underpowered as the game goes on.[/QUOTE]

Noted. Thanks for the tip. I've been leveling my Destruction and Restoration magic. It's nice to not have to carry a ton of standard potions around.

[quote name='The Crotch']...

That's a terrible, terrible idea. There's a shitload of money in the game. If the item isn't worth at least 50 gold for every one unit of weight, it's not really worth bringing back for sale. Picking up everything - all the bonemeal, all the worthless weapons and armour - will just give you a headache and a bunch of useless stuff sitting in a chest at home because vendor gold is highly limited.[/QUOTE]

dude youd be surprised how much things are worth doing things the way i do i go back to town sell it , buy the stuff i need or want from vendors and then sell some more. on top of that with all the ingredients i find ive made alot of potions which again i sell. i never worry abut money in this game ive got loads and a shitload of ingots of all kinds and alot of jewelry.

the reason my carry level got s high was i kept getting pulled into things which kept me away from town. it may seem terrible to you but thats working quite well for me.

you shouldnt ignore the cheaper items something may only be worth 2 gold but you get enough of the and thats more gold. and when youre slowed down you learn to play smarter

I am fucking sick of these blood dragons (not to mention bleed dragons). They're just way too powerful.

So here I am fighting a generic dragon with Lydia and kill it. As soon as I absorb its soul, a blood dragon comes (WTF, I just killed a dragon!!). There's a giant nearby and it's helping me fight it but is killed (RIP bro), Lydia falls, and then the stupid fucking mastodon nearby decides to attack me and I die. But he'll get his, that blood dragon was pissed.

[quote name='Vinny']I am fucking sick of these blood dragons (not to mention bleed dragons). They're just way too powerful.

So here I am fighting a generic dragon with Lydia and kill it. As soon as I absorb its soul, a blood dragon comes (WTF, I just killed a dragon!!). There's a giant nearby and it's helping me fight it but is killed (RIP bro), Lydia falls, and then the stupid fucking mastodon nearby decides to attack me and I die. But he'll get his, that blood dragon was pissed.[/QUOTE]

lol i can relate to the mastodon hate. the first time i saw one i was excited to kill it until a damn giant or 2 came to help it out. the dragons seem pretty easy to me though i just hate coming up against one when i have a hose because the damn horse always runs away.

One of the first dragons I ever fought got his shit utterly wrecked by a lone mammoth. Poor dragon. It was half dead by the time I got close enough to hit it with my mace.
[quote name='lokizz']dude youd be surprised how much things are worth doing things the way i do i go back to town sell it , buy the stuff i need or want from vendors and then sell some more. on top of that with all the ingredients i find ive made alot of potions which again i sell. i never worry abut money in this game ive got loads and a shitload of ingots of all kinds and alot of jewelry.

the reason my carry level got s high was i kept getting pulled into things which kept me away from town. it may seem terrible to you but thats working quite well for me.

you shouldnt ignore the cheaper items something may only be worth 2 gold but you get enough of the and thats more gold. and when youre slowed down you learn to play smarter[/QUOTE]
No, I really wouldn't be surprised.

Low value items are fine. Low value items are some of the best money-makers in the game. It's low value:weight that's the problem. Ignore that shit. Money is common, and of very limited use.

lol, infinite stunlocking with shield and the ability to kite and shoot at the same time with a bow? i can't be stopped! who made this game?

[quote name='panzerfaust']lol, infinite stunlocking with shield and the ability to kite and shoot at the same time with a bow? i can't be stopped! who made this game?[/QUOTE]

Have you found a Dragon Priest yet? They kite you!

[quote name='lokizz']lol i can relate to the mastodon hate. the first time i saw one i was excited to kill it until a damn giant or 2 came to help it out. the dragons seem pretty easy to me though i just hate coming up against one when i have a hose because the damn horse always runs away.[/QUOTE]

I finally finished that fight. There were a group of kat people who were also fighting both dragons so I only had to deal with one at a time. I killed the regular one, killed the blood dragon, then killed the mastodon and giant (hey, it was gloves off this time).

Is there any point in keeping Dragon Scales/Bones? I've got 29 of each and looked up what they're useful for and you can only use them to make Dragon Armor if you're level 100 smiting? I don't plan on playing this game that much...

[quote name='Kazaganthi']Have you found a Dragon Priest yet? They kite you![/QUOTE]

The first dragon priest I ever fought got stuck in a door.

bread's done
Back