Let's talk Skyrim! (Gameplay footage inside.)

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']After his posts in this thread, I'd also be defiant about visiting his site.[/QUOTE]

Ummm OK. That makes no sense at all but whatever. :roll:

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Ummm OK. That makes no sense at all but whatever. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Makes perfect sense actually.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']After his posts in this thread, I'd also be defiant about visiting his site.[/QUOTE]
lol

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']
As we already pointed out in the review. It is rare for games to not have MP but we did not feel Skyrim should be dinged for not having it. We felt the overall score of the game deserved to be a 10 out of 10. This is a rare occurrence and does not warrant an entire change in our scoring model.[/QUOTE]

I know WHY you did it, what I'm saying is that you probably SHOULDN'T do it. For an offline game, mark the online portion as N/A or something; you shouldn't have to give one aspect a false score because you don't want the other scores to be affected.

This explains it all.
That does a great job of explaining your hunches. You're making some pretty bold claims with not a whole lot of material to back it up. "Basically, every major gaming site on the net (you know who they are) has brokered deals with the publishers and/or manufacturers to receive FREE stuff." How did you get this scoop? How do you know that every major gaming site is on the take? Pointing out that the companies pay money to get their ads on the site doesn't really convince me of much.

In the end I am offering something for nothing and people still find the time to whine and bitch about it.
Welcome to being a game critic! In between the flaming there's alot of constructive criticism being offered here, instead of dismissing it as "haters gonna hate" maybe you should use it to hone your writing. Personally I'd also appreciate it if you would take credit for your work instead of acting like you came upon some random article... instead of "hey someone posted a first review!" maybe say "here's a review I wrote for my site!" This is like the third time I've seen someone post a link to an article only to click it and realize it was YOU linking an article to YOUR SITE.

[quote name='H4Y4TO']I didn't know you had a site... I will defiantly check it out....[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the support. :applause: Please feel free to leave your own review for anything we have listed on the site.

[quote name='iamsmart']lol

I know WHY you did it, what I'm saying is that you probably SHOULDN'T do it. For an offline game, mark the online portion as N/A or something; you shouldn't have to give one aspect a false score because you don't want the other scores to be affected.

That does a great job of explaining your hunches. You're making some pretty bold claims with not a whole lot of material to back it up. "Basically, every major gaming site on the net (you know who they are) has brokered deals with the publishers and/or manufacturers to receive FREE stuff." How did you get this scoop? How do you know that every major gaming site is on the take? Pointing out that the companies pay money to get their ads on the site doesn't really convince me of much.

Welcome to being a game critic! In between the flaming there's alot of constructive criticism being offered here, instead of dismissing it as "haters gonna hate" maybe you should use it to hone your writing. Personally I'd also appreciate it if you would take credit for your work instead of acting like you came upon some random article... instead of "hey someone posted a first review!" maybe say "here's a review I wrote for my site!" This is like the third time I've seen someone post a link to an article only to click it and realize it was YOU linking an article to YOUR SITE.[/QUOTE]

You're just nit picking. I am not going to change your mind on the subject so just let it be. It's clear you dont like what I am offering so dont waste your time bothering with the site, the review, or anything else that is associated with it.

It's clear you dont like what I am offering so dont waste your time bothering with the site, the review, or anything else that is associated with it.
Believe me I try, but as per my last paragraph, you keep making me accidentally click the links! I'm all like "ooh a first review!" but then I'm all like "hey wait I've been here before... oh snap he got me again"

alsoonelastquickthing:itwouldn'thurttogivethesiteabetternamethankrakrabbit

[quote name='iamsmart']
alsoonelastquickthing:itwouldn'thurttogivethesiteabetternamethankrakrabbit[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Gamespot was taken! I was pretty upset about it, since obviously you guys worship those big sites but I make due.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Sorry, Gamespot was taken! I was pretty upset about it, since obviously you guys worship those big sites but I make due.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it has anything to do with worshiping the corporate monster, but rather appreciating good writing.
You didn't answer my question about the embargo. Did you pirate the game?

Let's talk more about Skyrim.

[quote name='linkpwns']I don't think it has anything to do with worshiping the corporate monster, but rather appreciating good writing.
You didn't answer my question about the embargo. Did you pirate the game?

Let's talk more about Skyrim.[/QUOTE]

No I didn't pirate the game.

Real reviews are up today: 100 from Gamespy, 95 from IGN and 90 from Gamespot. Tempted to watch a video review but I don't want to spoil myself on anything.

*shamelessly stolen from the GAF thread*
IMG_0155%5B1%5D.JPG

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']*shamelessly stolen from the GAF thread*
IMG_0155%5B1%5D.JPG
[/QUOTE]
Wow, for a split-second before scrolling down fully I thought it was a picture of a kitchen window.

1.1 Patch notes: (spoilered just in case)
UPDATE 1.1 NOTES

BUG FIXES

• General optimizations related to stability and performance.
  • Essential followers recover properly if player fast travels away.
  • Fixed rare instances of dragons flying improperly though objects after player exits an interior.
  • Fixed rare instance where the a music track would not stop playing properly.
  • Autosave message properly displays when going through a load door.
  • The fifth level of the Light Fingers perk correctly calculates the Pickpocket skill bonus.
  • Enchanting an item to improve the Sneak skill properly calculates the bonus to the player's Sneak skill.
  • Enchanting an item to improve the Lockpick skill properly calculates the bonus to the player's Lockpick skill.
  • Corpus Enchanter perk properly calculates bonuses to stats for the player’s new enchantments.

QUEST FIXES

• Fixed rare issue where a character would not arrive properly to the Thalmor Embassy during Diplomatic Immunity.
  • Rescue/Attack on Fort Neugrad will trigger properly if player travels to Fort Neugrad by foot.
  • In To Kill an Empire, Gianna will now talk to player with certain diseases.
  • Fixed rare instance of Civil War battle not starting properly if player receives a Companions quest from Farkas.
  • During Brelyna's Practice, fixed rare issue where the player could be permanently invisible.
  • Triggering combat in Largashbur no longer stops progression to The Cursed Tribe.
  • Fixed rare instance where fighting a Civil War battle during The Fallen would prevent the Jarl of Whiterun from accepting their axe in Message to Whiterun.
  • In The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller, fixed rare instance where Arngeir would not teach player the last word of Unrelenting Force.
  • In Taking Care of Business, fixed issue where Brynjolf would not give player this quest if Talen Jei was dead.

Lol, that fix to dragons sounds hilarious. Those type of glitches I love seeing because some of my best memories of games are funny shit like that.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']1.1 Patch notes: (spoilered just in case)
[/QUOTE]
When is that patch going live? I don't need to play Skyrim right when I get it. It's a Bethesda game, I can wait until the bugs die down :lol:

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']When is that patch going live? I don't need to play Skyrim right when I get it. It's a Bethesda game, I can wait until the bugs die down :lol:[/QUOTE]

It's live. (has been since yesterday I think)

[quote name='matrix9280']Are there good dragons in the game or do you have to kill all of them?[/QUOTE]

There is a dragon that you can summon to help you fight.

You can't be surprised by that. Just wait a bit until Darn gets out his updated UI to make navigating menus not a pain in the tits. Modder-made texture packs will be out soon, too.

I was watching the live playthrough deal on 1Up.com. The guy narrating was a total douche, but the gameplay looked amazing. Much better than Oblivion as far as the menus, interfaces and other behind the scenes thing go.

Very excited.

It's the principle of the matter and I'm not waiting for texture packs or mods to play this. I'm playing it tonight and that experience should be purely what the devs intended. As long as they didn't limit development to what consoles can do, then I'll be happy.

It's simply a numbers thing at this point as the majority of sales tend to skew heavily towards consoles.

But, yes, every single game ever should be made for the most powerful hardware and then ported down. That's not system wars but rather common damn sense. :p

I ordered the PC and the 360 versions. I am going to return/trade one of them but I can't figure out which I want to play. Anyone have any opinions?

[quote name='HeSaveDave']I ordered the PC and the 360 versions. I am going to return/trade one of them but I can't figure out which I want to play. Anyone have any opinions?[/QUOTE]

PC pros: It's a PC. It'll blow everything else away graphically, provided you have a decent rig. Oh, and mods too.

360 pros: As was mentioned earlier, the general interface is tailored for console use.

Basically it's the same dilemma that's plagued the world for the past couple of years: PCs offer better graphics and tweaks, but the games themselves are generally created with consoles in mind. CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Fell Open Ian']It's simply a numbers thing at this point as the majority of sales tend to skew heavily towards consoles.

But, yes, every single game ever should be made for the most powerful hardware and then ported down. That's not system wars but rather common damn sense. :p[/QUOTE]

Bethesda went the route of skewing Skyrim towards the consoles and the game was meant to be built around consoles due to piracy, which is a huge issue with them.

If you're talking about the interface and such, I would tend to agree with the sales thing. Games like Skyrim are popular on PCs but console versions will get more sales.

So holy fuck at people buying Skyrim. My best buy had 20-30 (I was first in line), but the gamestop down the street had 50+ people maybe close to 100 and this was after I got done so about 12:15 or so.

Well I've put about 4 hours into the PC version and I absolutely detest the mouse controls. The way in which the interface works in general is super controller friendly and the mouse, even after extensive *.INI file tweaking, just never felt right.

There is a constant level of unwanted acceleration which is felt mostly vertically and sometimes it'll just drop-out all-together and not register clicks for certain elements of the UI. (tried it on 2 PCs with 2 different mice with the same results)

I'm sure that it'll be fixed either officially or unofficially with mods and it feels so inaccurate and swimmy that it might even be a bug but it left a really bad taste in my mouth and I'm going to stick with the PS3 version because of it. (until it's fixed)

Oh and here are some fixes to help with the mouse stuff:
In 'Documents\My Games\Skyrim' in the 'Skyrim.ini' add iPresentInterval=0 under the '[Display]' header.
In the 'SkyrimPrefs.ini' add bMouseAcceleration=0 under the '[Controls]' header.
(I hate to bitch about stuff without offering any solutions :p)

And, on a lighter note: http://youtu.be/rt5aUdijAN8

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So holy fuck at people buying Skyrim. My best buy had 20-30 (I was first in line), but the gamestop down the street had 50+ people maybe close to 100 and this was after I got done so about 12:15 or so.[/QUOTE]

I went to Walmart...they had more cupcakes out and crap, but it turns out all that fanfare was for Harry Potter. The damn Walmart only requested 16 copies of Skyrim...they had decided to use the rack space on Harry Potter instead. The score at midnight was 15 (people in line) for Skyrim, and 1 (person in "line") for Harry Potter....

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']And, on a lighter note: http://youtu.be/rt5aUdijAN8[/QUOTE]
So that DOES work! If you watch the GT review, they hint at this by putting a bucket on an NPC's head to illustrate silliness and I instantly thought about how to exploit it lol. Never fails how bad their testers are.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Well I've put about 4 hours into the PC version and I absolutely detest the mouse controls. The way in which the interface works in general is super controller friendly and the mouse, even after extensive *.INI file tweaking, just never felt right.

There is a constant level of unwanted acceleration which is felt mostly vertically and sometimes it'll just drop-out all-together and not register clicks for certain elements of the UI. (tried it on 2 PCs with 2 different mice with the same results)

I'm sure that it'll be fixed either officially or unofficially with mods and it feels so inaccurate and swimmy that it might even be a bug but it left a really bad taste in my mouth and I'm going to stick with the PS3 version because of it. (until it's fixed)

Oh and here are some fixes to help with the mouse stuff:
In 'Documents\My Games\Skyrim' in the 'Skyrim.ini' add iPresentInterval=0 under the '[Display]' header.
In the 'SkyrimPrefs.ini' add bMouseAcceleration=0 under the '[Controls]' header.
(I hate to bitch about stuff without offering any solutions :p)

And, on a lighter note: http://youtu.be/rt5aUdijAN8[/QUOTE]
Thanks for both of those things. Looks like you can move owned objects in Skyrim? Am I reading that correctly? There was a reason you couldn't do that back in Oblivion...

[quote name='The Crotch']Thanks for both of those things. Looks like you can move owned objects in Skyrim? Am I reading that correctly? There was a reason you couldn't do that back in Oblivion...[/QUOTE]
I could've sworn you could move objects in Oblivion as well. I guess the Fallout mechanics just broke the game.

Wish I saved money for it instead of wasting it on BF3. Will be trading that in for Skyrim right after my shift at Gamestop. Can't wait.

[quote name='Jodou']I could've sworn you could move objects in Oblivion as well. I guess the Fallout mechanics just broke the game.[/QUOTE]
If memory serves, trying to move an owned object was considered the same as stealing.

[quote name='The Crotch']If memory serves, trying to move an owned object was considered the same as stealing.[/QUOTE]
Except when you started dancing on the counter and knocking everything on the floor LOL. I think half the charm of Elder Scrolls is the ridiculous things you can get away with and nobody is scripted to react lol.

Yeah, knocking things around with your body got no reaction other than "Hey, watch it!" Which was as it should have been, because it was fucking impossible to walk by a table without knocking shit over.

But picking something up (without putting it in your inventory) was a crime. I think.

Well, I figured I'd start playing tonight since MW3 still hasn't arrived from GF even though it shipped on monday. I turned off the lights, lit a scented candle and prepared for greatness. About five minutes in the game locks up on me for about 20 seconds. Five minutes later it froze up on me completely, forcing a restart. Boo.

Edit: been playing for about an hour now, no bugs since that initial fiasco. Liking what I've played so far: the music is like a cross between Morrowind and Oblivion. Fighting certainly feels better; the fallout-esque slow-mo stuff is cool and it's not over-indulgent to the point of being annoying. Looks like they're making more use of the M rating this time around too.

bread's done
Back