MAG Discussion Thread

I stopped playing the MAG Beta once I got my hands on the Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta. That Beta is great. I don't know why no one is posting about it. But, to be fair, I don't think MAG is bad. I just think BFBC2 is exceptional.

[quote name='Amerijapoxicano']I stopped playing the MAG Beta once I got my hands on the Battlefield Bad Company 2 Beta. That Beta is great. I don't know why no one is posting about it. But, to be fair, I don't think MAG is bad. I just think BFBC2 is exceptional.[/QUOTE]

I had the opposite thing happen to me, dropped BFBC2 for MAG.

Although both are great in their own way.

*searches for the BFBC2 thread*

I think the devs should have given more details on the "Shadow War". What kind of perks you can earn and so on. I was in a few of the beta phases and have NO CLUE as to what the heck contracts are about. I think that is a cool feature no one else has...

The 256 player bit is a little misleading. Only in that, sure you are all on the same level but it is segregated so that that huge number of players aren't ever all in one area. That is what bothered me. I never got the sense of scale I was expecting because you never square up against more than one or two squads.

I feel like if you like team games and working/playing with your buddies then you might like this more then the people who pop in to play with strangers. I think the structure of the reward system is what bothers some others because you can't be as affective on your own.

I also learned... I am a graphics-whore. I made a face when I saw it load up. But to give the devs credit, I NEVER had any real issues with lag which helped me over look that fact.

[quote name='NamPaehc']I think the devs should have given more details on the "Shadow War". What kind of perks you can earn and so on. I was in a few of the beta phases and have NO CLUE as to what the heck contracts are about. I think that is a cool feature no one else has...

The 256 player bit is a little misleading. Only in that, sure you are all on the same level but it is segregated so that that huge number of players aren't ever all in one area. That is what bothered me. I never got the sense of scale I was expecting because you never square up against more than one or two squads.

I feel like if you like team games and working/playing with your buddies then you might like this more then the people who pop in to play with strangers. I think the structure of the reward system is what bothers some others because you can't be as affective on your own.

I also learned... I am a graphics-whore. I made a face when I saw it load up. But to give the devs credit, I NEVER had any real issues with lag which helped me over look that fact.[/QUOTE]

The contracts are won by having your clan dominate a certain type of game. (Domination, Sabotage, etc) The more contracts your clan gets, the more benefits that come with it. For example, in Sabotage, S.V.E.R. had two contracts (out of three) and for each match you had an extra %5 experience points.

I felt the magnitude of the 256 players, especially when you're communicating and another squad is asking for help and you have to fight your way there.

The graphics have been steadily improving so the final product will look even better. It looked horrible at first, then with the second beta phase, the graphic overhaul was a nice improvement. So the end product should look better.

Also, take note that the graphics will take a big hit seeing as how a game has to support 256 players in one game type at the same time.

and this is a tactical and strategy oriented game, you will not get anywhere running around solo acting like Rambo.

Ah ok, didn't notice that about the contracts. Thanks. Hope they plan to also give boosts to the losing side so things don't get to unbalanced. I think Planetside had something like that to help even the odds when people were jumping to the faction that was owning everything.

I don't mind the separation, to start with. But as the match does on they should start pushing the players closer and closer. Depends on what mode you were in, certain ones kept you very spread apart.

And the graphics did improve, but my experience with betas is that the last phases don't ever get topped by the final product. Hud elements change but I doubt anything drastic will show up. And I was praising the devs BTW. For as busy it is, it is smooth and it looks pretty darn good! I'm just a graphics-snob it turns out sadly... I know there is NO WAY Killzone 2 could handle as many players and commotion. Though I hope their work here leads us to some large multiplayer experiences in other titles.

And the Rambo comment, is what I was trying to say. I think some people want this to be like CoD where you can jump in, kill some people and get experience. Here if you want to level up quickly you need to follow orders, match up with your squad, and focus to work for your company's interest. Harder for a lot of people out there it seems.

It's the same with BFBC2 and why people think these type of games suck because you can't be Rambo in it.

It's really hard for me to understand how you want it to feel even more hectic though because at times it just feels like I'm being picked off as soon as I leave my spawn point. (which is part of the game and you have to be more careful or get your squad captain to call in some air strikes.)

Hmm, about keeping balance? I don't know what the developers have in store for that. I don't think the rewards of getting the contracts will be that game changing even if one team is monopolizing them. Skill and careful planning will still beat out fancy gadgets and better guns.

[quote name='NamPaehc']The open demo starts up soon, anyone going to play some more?[/QUOTE]

I can't wait for it. I need a break from MW2 every now and then.

Go S.V.E.R.!

@Fizzywix, have fun! I wanted to go to an Uncharted 2 premier event here in Southern California, but couldn't make it.

I just got done playing the open beta. It's pretty darn good, probably better with players who communicate and know what they are doing. I tried out Valor but I'm going to try out the other two to see what's up. Maybe S.V.E.R because they are the current under dogs. I'd also like to try out more than just sabatage, but I guess I'll have to level up more before I can do that =P

Anyway, if you have a passing interest in the game check out the open beta. I know it's not a final product but it still gives a decent look into the game!

Just got done playing the beta.. overall, very disappointed. Although nobody else seems to have this problem, I found the game almost unplayable. Not lag, but glitches everywhere. Frequently, I would die, but continue to be able to move around the map (it says push X to bleedout, but doing this just makes me jump). In another instance, the game stopped allowing me to damage the enemy. So I would run around shooting everyone, doing no damage. Finally, I frequently could not spawn. It would give the countdown, then fail to spawn me into a group.

Has anyone else experienced these problems? For a game thats only 3 weeks away from release, I found it to be very poorly put together so far.​

[quote name='lbrown4121']
Just got done playing the beta.. overall, very disappointed. Although nobody else seems to have this problem, I found the game almost unplayable. Not lag, but glitches everywhere. Frequently, I would die, but continue to be able to move around the map (it says push X to bleedout, but doing this just makes me jump). In another instance, the game stopped allowing me to damage the enemy. So I would run around shooting everyone, doing no damage. Finally, I frequently could not spawn. It would give the countdown, then fail to spawn me into a group.

Has anyone else experienced these problems? For a game thats only 3 weeks away from release, I found it to be very poorly put together so far.​
[/QUOTE]

Wow I really hope that is isolated! I had none of those problems personally. Everything loaded up great and worked how I would expect it to. I'm sorry you experienced these problems! It may be the download was the problem.

Thags definitely an isolated incident. I've been plyn the beta through most of its phases and have never heard of something like tht happening. there seems to be server issues now though. if anyone wants to party up send me a friend req, im in sver. lvl 6 atm

[/QUOTE]

I actually did have this happen a few times during the Beta release before 11/9 - /20 the Exclusive GS beta ( you basically became immortal, and able to run around taunting the enemy, sort bringing them out after you for your team mates to shoot, it was annoying as h#ll if on the opposite side and frustrating when it happened usually in the heat of battle )

the game is ok. i like how you can customize your character as well as the diff clan groups but from the little of it i played its pretty much like that one game that had a demo out only the levels felt bigger but the look of everything is so bland. can you actualy use vehicles in this beta? i got a weird connection rerror dealy once and then the next time i was able to play.

connection issues seem to be a big problem this go round, probably at the sheer number of people trying to use the system, its probably not had this much stress in any of the previous stages

I've been following and playing the entire beta series, and yes you do get to use vehicles but its basically what they give you APC's to start with and usually limited to just in the begining, (2) but humvees are stationed in "motor pools" the talk was they'll have more but its yet to be seen
Planes and helicopters are used but not user/player controlled at least for free flight, you do shoot from

[/QUOTE]

I actually had the same problem on the third phase of the beta (being a ghost) and the not-spawning on the extended fourth beta

I need time away from this game... I didn't know who the hell I was fighting against, don't know what to do, where to go... this game confused me. Although I do like the environments within the game.

[quote name='Thomas96']I need time away from this game... I didn't know who the hell I was fighting against, don't know what to do, where to go... this game confused me. Although I do like the environments within the game.[/QUOTE]

i had the same problem too until i finally figured out the guys with red over their head were enemies so i just ran around trying to kill them. does anyobody know what youre supposed to do in the game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, I'm confused as well. And sadly I think if this game was exactly what it was, but Modern Warfare 3 - I think it would be much better. You just can't beat the shooting mechanics in MW. In this game, I just kept running out and getting sniped by who knows where... and then I froze... wee...

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Haha, I'm confused as well. And sadly I think if this game was exactly what it was, but Modern Warfare 3 - I think it would be much better. You just can't beat the shooting mechanics in MW. In this game, I just kept running out and getting sniped by who knows where... and then I froze... wee...[/QUOTE]

This. The game isn't bad but I have to admit attacking isn't very fun when you are getting shot from half way across the map by an invisible team just waiting for you.

You guys should try a different route if you're getting shot at from 'the invisible army'. The maps are huge as to allow this. Or find out where that sniper is and have a sniper loadout ready and/or communicate to the team where you saw the flash come from.

I've been playing this beta since it's previous incarnations and wow, server issues and lag are evident now. It was running so perfectly before, I'm dissapointed if it's not going to be able to handle more people. Zipper is acknowledging the trouble and they're making it out to be temporary thing. I hope so.

I love this game, so it would suck if you would not be able to play it to it's full potential. Pretty much dropped MW2 for this beta.

758239966_phfCE-L.jpg

[/QUOTE]

I get these problems fairly often. The walking around while dead is annoying as hell because it takes forever to stop.
When you can't get the countdown to go, try killing yourself (pressing start to see scores, then hit R3. This seems to do it most of the time).

Meh, downloading this now. Taking a lot longer than I thought. After watching some footage, I definitely don't think this will be worth a purchase, but Ill find out for myself soon.

[quote name='metaly']
758239966_phfCE-L.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Tycho's comments actually have piqued my interest and I may pick it up from Amazon.

[quote name='Tycho']Tycho said: The vaunted 256 player modes aren't available to new players - you could be forgiven for thinking that 256 was a kind of default, since the title and these mystic numerals have been made inextricable, but there you have it. The level requirement for entry into such realms is 10, which I haven't yet secured. I estimate that it would take most people perhaps three, three and a half hours to get there, "there" being the game they thought it was to begin with. Trust me, though: you need that time to marinate in the game's mechanics.

You need time to have that one game - as I did last night - where everything comes together, so that you can get a sense of an optimal round's overall shape. With Squad Leaders who give a shit, who offer themselves up in service, broadcasting the tangible benefits of their experience to those nearby. Squads with real plans, solid communication, and blended expertise. The scale is often remarkable, even in the sixty-four player scraps I'm in now, and concessions are being made to it: the gunplay doesn't feel especially immediate, or visceral. Maybe it can't. You have a round like that, though, and it becomes a game you can see yourself playing for awhile.

The game's leader roles are level locked as well, and rightly so. I think that might be a good spot for me. I suspect everybody feels like that - feels they've always been "management material" and "boy, if I was running this place." But in my case, it's because I'm marginally less useless as middle management than I am as a frontline combatant. I had to find a role that felt right to me in the space, which required that I reach level 5: as a field medic, with the ability to both heal and resuscitate. I've been in the top three for my squad every round since I put that together, because the experience rewards for doing so - for playing in the way that feels most natural to me - are substantial, and satisfying. I'd still be playing tonight, and not writing my post, if the server hadn't shit the bed.[/QUOTE]

So this is a game best done w/ a clan, which does sound like a good deal of fun.

Well I downloaded this beta and finally decided to play it for a couple hours today, had to tear myself away from God of War 2. :whee: Going in, I honestly was expecting to not enjoy it very much. At first I wasn't sure about it but after playing for a couple hours I was enjoying it a lot. For my first couple games I couldn't hit the side of a barn but but the time I was done playing I was playing much better.

This really exceeded my expectations. I joined the SVER faction and was mostly using the AK74. I like how there are a lot of upgrades but no "perks". I'm personally not a very big fan of perks. I really liked the way combat felt. For some reason it reminded me of older games I used to love playing like Day of Defeat and Counter-Strike. Before playing the beta I had no intentions of buying this game, but I'm definitely going to have to think about it now.

Love the comic!

This game has 2 things going for it: The actual gunplay is very good for a FPS. It requires teamwork to win the game.

Hopefully there is no DLC for this , as it will prolong Zipper's not fully working on Socom 4. And we cant have that now...

I'm actually kind of digging the game. I still have not seen people work together, but I can tell if you did it would be an amazing experience. It's amazing how smooth it runs and how polished everything really is; the menu's are so clean and smooth (I just love that). Also, the graphics are really fantastic at times. I remember the first footage of the game looking like complete ass, but now at times it can look like Crysis level of visuals.

I'd like to hear what is really going on - like are you contributing to something bigger? Ect. And do the 256 play games have a limit on how many games that are made? Because that requires a lot of people.

I dunno though, if we got a good clan together (unlikely because CAG sucks with clans... sorry) then I could really see myself liking this.

[quote name='fldash']If you were in a previous beta, do you already have access to this one? What if I deleted it from my PS3 drive?[/QUOTE]

This is a completely open Beta, think of it more as a Demo, so anyone can download it, just look for it on the PS Store and download it again (and be ready to wait for a long time)

After playing the beta for a while(just the open one so I haven't seen the evolution) I'm loving it. For all that's going on it runs great! Any hiccups I've had are purely my connection. Everything seems very smooth. I have honestly loved playing the game, even when we are getting steam rolled!

As for the bigger picture, as far as I know the reason for fighting the different games is to win contracts. Each contact provides a benefit, for example one gives 5% more experience. Beyond that I'm not sure. Whatever it is I'm having fun just playing!

I think the only thing that limits the amount of the games going on is the people wanting to play them. I haven't had a problem getting into games, but I have noticed Domination take a bit longer than Sabotage.

DarkNessBear what side do you play? And I would definitely be interested in a clan for when this releases, only problem is I might not be getting it when it first releases!

After putting in some more hours today I must say I'm probably going to have to get this game day one. I finally got to lvl 10 so now I need to try out the Domination mode. This game does so many things very well, some of my favorites are:

-tons of unlocks, up to 3 slots to customize a single gun
-specific scenarios depending on what faction you are in, always defending on certain maps and always attacking on certain maps
-I like the idea of forcing you to join a faction and having to stick with it
-Please correct me if I'm wrong but it almost looks like you get certain bonuses when your faction is doing very well in the Shadow War

I would definitely be interested in being in a CAG clan for this game if enough people would get it. I know your characters don't carry over to the retail version but what faction is everyone in? I'm in S.V.E.R. myself.

I really need to get a XIM so I can play FPS on PS3 without being completely handicapped... no matter how much I try, I just can't do it on the controller...

So I've been trying to predict which faction the obnoxious prepubescent crowd will flock to so I can avoid it, but it's hard to decide which would be the most appealing to them!

Any predictions? :p

The more I play it, the more I love it. Although - I keep friggen freezing! UGH. And this time I was doing the best I have ever done... and then FREEZE. Ugh, I'm so bummed.

[quote name='bg88']After putting in some more hours today I must say I'm probably going to have to get this game day one. I finally got to lvl 10 so now I need to try out the Domination mode. This game does so many things very well, some of my favorites are:

-tons of unlocks, up to 3 slots to customize a single gun
-specific scenarios depending on what faction you are in, always defending on certain maps and always attacking on certain maps
-I like the idea of forcing you to join a faction and having to stick with it
-Please correct me if I'm wrong but it almost looks like you get certain bonuses when your faction is doing very well in the Shadow War

I would definitely be interested in being in a CAG clan for this game if enough people would get it. I know your characters don't carry over to the retail version but what faction is everyone in? I'm in S.V.E.R. myself.[/QUOTE]

I'll add you on PSN next time I'm on. I play S.V.E.R too!

The better your chosen faction does the more favor it wins for the contract. Each game type provides some sort of bonus, for example Sabatage contract offers up a 5% bonus to XP.

[quote name='fizzywix']So I've been trying to predict which faction the obnoxious prepubescent crowd will flock to so I can avoid it, but it's hard to decide which would be the most appealing to them!

Any predictions? :p[/QUOTE]

If this stress test is any indication either Valor or Raven, S.V.E.R. seems to be the underdog but doing the best =P I've had better experiences with them than Valor, people seem to work together more than on Valor. If I had to guess one? It would be Raven just because of the back story and their ascetic look.

I'm hoping we get some surprises when the game goes retail. One main thing that would be neat is a little more customization to your character, though I guess it isn't all that bad!

Has anyone been using the SMG? I've been thinking of unlocking it and using it in my medic loadout instead of the second S.V.E.R. assault rifle. I wish for the beta they had reduced the amount of points for a respec, I would try out a few more builds if it didn't take so many points to redo it =P

[quote name='fizzywix']So I've been trying to predict which faction the obnoxious prepubescent crowd will flock to so I can avoid it, but it's hard to decide which would be the most appealing to them!

Any predictions? :p[/QUOTE]

I think Raven

[quote name='DarkNessBear']
I dunno though, if we got a good clan together (unlikely because CAG sucks with clans... sorry) then I could really see myself liking this.[/QUOTE]

Myth Busted! I have proven your theory wrong my friend. Socom clan has a full roster, still play twice a week, some of us still play everyday, active and ranked in top 75 on Clan Ladders. CAG is a great place for clan gaming if the leader is a good dude and willing to put in some effort.

[quote name='smiggity']Myth Busted! I have proven your theory wrong my friend. Socom clan has a full roster, still play twice a week, some of us still play everyday, active and ranked in top 75 on Clan Ladders. CAG is a great place for clan gaming if the leader is a good dude and willing to put in some effort.[/QUOTE]

So who do we contact to join the CAG clan?

[quote name='BreakingPoint']

As for the bigger picture, as far as I know the reason for fighting the different games is to win contracts. Each contact provides a benefit, for example one gives 5% more experience. Beyond that I'm not sure. Whatever it is I'm having fun just playing!

[/QUOTE]

For Domination earning contracts gives you handicaps. Zipper probably does that because Domination is the main draw for the game so they want to make sure no team is (pardon the cheesyness) dominating Domination.

I'm around level 15/16 now and I'm not quite sure what to unlock next. I'm thinking the shotgun, I hear it's a beast.

Yeah no official clan. We are all scattered over the factions still. Beyond that, someone will have to step up to lead any clan effort for the official release. Not it! :)

And the anyone else agree that the graphics have greatly improved for this beta phase? Never seen that happen before so glad to see it here.

what is with people NOT knowing who the medic is?

I am a damn field medic, if i am shooting enemies and i see one of my teammates go down, i immediately grab my medkit and revive them.
(ugh, i hate it when i am downed and there is a medic around who can NOT spot me or see me.)

I too go around healing those that need heal,etc. i pop out my medkit every now and then when there are people shooting already, one more shooter wont make a difference, but a medic will. :)

Why do people just suicide when they are down?
i cant tell you how many times i have jumped over a ledge that almost broke my neck and there are enemies shooting at me as i run towards my downed buddy just for him to tell me "Go on without me" when i am about 2 feet from him, medkit out and ready to press the revive trigger.:bomb:
I swear, is like people do this on purpose....
What the hell?

Zipper should really brighten up that Blue Medic sign on top of people who carry the medkit.
on top of that, When you are new to the game you should be FORCED to watch a small gameplay video on the controls and meanings of your HUD, no exceptions.
not just paragraphs or wall of texts that people will just skip and not read.

Really who reads the manual nowadays?

on a side note, my helmet seems to attract Sniper bullets. hopefully is just me...it has to be me.
yeah so many deaths that were caused by snipers who somehow manage to see my moving head and pushed L1.:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Modern Warfare 2 ruined my FPS skills with their auto-lock on nonsense. It was great while it lasted, but has taken me ~2 hours to realize "I have to keep moving my reticle if I want to actually kill someone."

SVER players seem to be more mature, and I've enjoyed playing w/ them more than RAVEN.

[quote name='cRodz']
on a side note, my helmet seems to attract Sniper bullets. hopefully is just me...it has to be me.
yeah so many deaths that were caused by snipers who somehow manage to see my moving head and pushed L1.:cry:[/QUOTE]

Are you playing SVER? This happened to me until I changed the damn bright orange vest to a more discrete color scheme.

[quote name='erequena']Are you playing SVER? This happened to me until I changed the damn bright orange vest to a more discrete color scheme.[/QUOTE]
SVER.
ride or die! :cool:

Yeah i have to mess with that color and i really thought i was the only one.

i dont mind dieing, but when i die and keep dieing to ONE weapon/way, it just gets frustrating. :whistle2:#

bread's done
Back