Mass Effect (360) $9.99 - Kmart Ad 1/10/2010 - 1/16/2010

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I used to go there all the time, there's one near 8th Street/Astoria in Manhattan, right next to the 6 stop.[/QUOTE]

You mean 8th Street/Astor place...Astoria is an area of Queens....

I couldn't pull the trigger here in Lynchburg, VA. They had a few of the old PH packaged ones and one original one, but it was all beat to hell and I just couldn't convince myself that I would honestly play through it. I got it when it first came out and maybe put 4-5 hours into it and it just didn't grab me.

Of course having limited time and an ever-increasing backlog doesn't inspire me to play older titles that I've already given a chance, even though it is a steal for the amount of gameplay you get.

Just picked this up, totally worth it. The only thing is my K Mart didn't change the price in the display at all so it looked like it was still $20 but rang up at $10.

I saw a new PH version of it tonight, but it rang up at $19.99. The electronics clerk told me it was "online only", no signs, no sale papers there...debating whether to go back with the printout or just pricematch elsewhere.

[quote name='Greyman7']I saw a new PH version of it tonight, but it rang up at $19.99. The electronics clerk told me it was "online only", no signs, no sale papers there...debating whether to go back with the printout or just pricematch elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Almost the same story here. Sent the old man for M.E. at Kmart while and it rang up at $19.99. He showed the clerk the ad for $9.99 and the clerk wouldn't budge saying that that the $9.99 price starts on Jan. 26th (when M.E. 2 comes out, the game right next to it in the ad). Of course that's wrong, but it wasn't worth my old man's time to argue when one can PM elsewhere (if lucky).

If Amazon's reading, you (Amazon) should PM Kmart's price on M.E. this week.

Got one tonight. It was the last one, positioned in the case sideways unmarked next to a bunch of other sideways unmarked cases. Thankfully rang up $9.99.

Thanks, OP. My Kmart had close to a dozen left and they were clearly marked. I thought that I would have to try and PM it at BB, but thankfully, no one ever goes to this Kmart. I guess that is there whole problem.

[quote name='Sofa King Cheap']Almost the same story here. Sent the old man for M.E. at Kmart while and it rang up at $19.99. He showed the clerk the ad for $9.99 and the clerk wouldn't budge saying that that the $9.99 price starts on Jan. 26th (when M.E. 2 comes out, the game right next to it in the ad). Of course that's wrong, but it wasn't worth my old man's time to argue when one can PM elsewhere (if lucky).

If Amazon's reading, you (Amazon) should PM Kmart's price on M.E. this week.[/QUOTE]

will definitely get it if amazon sells it

[quote name='chriscolbert']I couldn't pull the trigger here in Lynchburg, VA. They had a few of the old PH packaged ones and one original one, but it was all beat to hell and I just couldn't convince myself that I would honestly play through it. I got it when it first came out and maybe put 4-5 hours into it and it just didn't grab me.

Of course having limited time and an ever-increasing backlog doesn't inspire me to play older titles that I've already given a chance, even though it is a steal for the amount of gameplay you get.[/QUOTE]

Well that didn't last long. I just couldn't help myself and picked it up on a PM at Best Buy. Now to see how long it sits before I get around to it. ;)

Today's score:

CAG:1
Self-control: 0

Il have to wait until amazon gets instock!
1.gif

Holy crap! This sale almost eluded me. I have the original release, but never finished it, so the DLC is a huge bonus. Time to get this pricematched at Sears for $8!

[quote name='Sofa King Cheap']Almost the same story here. Sent the old man for M.E. at Kmart while and it rang up at $19.99. He showed the clerk the ad for $9.99 and the clerk wouldn't budge saying that that the $9.99 price starts on Jan. 26th (when M.E. 2 comes out, the game right next to it in the ad). Of course that's wrong, but it wasn't worth my old man's time to argue when one can PM elsewhere (if lucky).

[/QUOTE]

I ended up going back to the Kmart tonight and the electronics clerk (different one this time) said she had heard it was online only, so I showed her the printout for the weekly ad, then she too looked at the release date for ME2 and said the sale started on the 26th. :) I patiently explaned how that was for the sequel. What was amazing was that she was very nice and sincerely wanted me to get the sale price, but seemed to be making sure she covered any objection that her manager might have about doing the override. The manager did the override with no problem, actually yelling it was okay from 15 feet away as the clerk was holding up the game and the ad saying that as long as the printout was in color they could do it...It all felt like some kind of Kmart brand logic that was a bit too silly for me to follow.
But, got the game for $9.99 in the newer PH box. So if you're in the SFV in CA, the Kmart on Sherman Way and Coldwater Canyon in Van Nuys has about eight or so more...just bring your color printout.

If Amazon's reading, you (Amazon) should PM Kmart's price on M.E. this week.[/QUOTE]

PMed at Best Buy with the actual Kmart ad (which my local newspaper has excluded for the past two weeks now). Stores need to start making it their policy to confirm local competitor's ads online for you if you don't have the physical copy in hand, BTW (as long as it's fast and efficient).

Maybe this has already been discussed, but why are there 2 items for ME on Kmart.com? One says out of stock (ME Platinum Hits w/ wrong boxart) and the other says it's available (ME GOTY w/ PH boxart). XD

[quote name='kylerg']Did they fix the DLC glitch with the new release?[/QUOTE]

As far as I know Pinnacle Station (the DLC released in Fall 09) still does not work on the P.H. edition of Mass Effect.

Bring Down the Sky, which is the Spring 08 DLC pack that is included (has to be installed) on the 2nd disk of the P.H. edition, works fine.

My Kmart had plenty, all were tagged 19.99 but mine rang up as 9.99. All were the new GH Packaging, looking forward to playing this one!

This is my favorite game so far this gen by far. You must own it. It is my mission in life to get everyone to play it :bouncy:

[quote name='kylerg']Did they fix the DLC glitch with the new release?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MSUHitman']As far as I know Pinnacle Station (the DLC released in Fall 09) still does not work on the P.H. edition of Mass Effect.

Bring Down the Sky, which is the Spring 08 DLC pack that is included (has to be installed) on the 2nd disk of the P.H. edition, works fine.[/QUOTE]

Huh. Did not know that. Maybe the Platinum Hits one was patched, and that patch broke the new one? I just assumed it was exactly the same.

At any rate, the second expansion is supposed to be far worse than the not-bad-but-not-necessary first one.

I gave my copy of the original to a friend and bought the PH version for Bring Down the Sky.

I was having problems with it, until I realized I wasn't connected to Live when I installed Bring Down the Sky from the extra disc. Worked Pinnacle Station perfectly fine after I got the update and then re-installed Bring Down the Sky.

Wow, I had a really interesting time picking this up this morning. I had no trouble finding the game at KMart, but noticed that it was stickered $19.99. No big deal. I figured that like with the clearance stuff, the tag was just wrong, not that I'd blame them for not retagging inventory for a one week sale.

So, I bring the game to the electronics register, and mention about it being on sale this week. The guy says "Well, our store is a smaller store, so it won't be the price listed in the ad." I ask him to scan it anyway, and sure enough, it rings up $19.99. He then tells me that if I have the actual sales ad, they will match it, and he would have to put it in his drawer to confirm the sale.

I ask if a print out of the online weekly ad would work, and he says "Well, we do those on a case by case basis, but it should be fine. I'll just have to get a manager to override it." So, I go home, print the ad, and bring it back. He did have to get a manager to come and override the price, but I did get the game.

I was just fascinated that KMart had to price match their own freaking sales ad, and that this store seemed to have its own "system" for how things rang up. I thought the general consensus was that if it's in the computer, it's in the computer...nationwide. Apparently, that's not the case.

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']10 for a new copy of mass effect is great :)[/QUOTE]

gamestop had it for 10

Anyone having any trouble getting it should get your District Manager involved. Trust me your local store will see the email.

I had trouble finding the store since I was unfamiliar with the area, but I found the game with the pretty PH label at Long Beach, CA. While the box had a $19.99 label, the counter had a $9.99 banner. There were a couple copies left too. The Long Beach K-Mart was much larger and better looking then the one in my local area.

Thanks! Pricematched at Best Buy Union Square. The lady had to walk away I guess to clear it with a manager, but came back and took care of it no problem.

I walked into a local Kmart here in Glendale, AZ and picked it up today no problems. Though the associate was rude... but it doesn't matter since I saw all of 2 other customers in-store.

Gone to PM at BB. I assume this is the new Platinum Hits boxart (grey PH banner at the top).

I don't see any mention that DLC (or a 2nd disc) is included.
Should it? Am I overlooking it?

edit: Under requirements, it did mention needing a hard drive for 275MB of "bonus content", but that's all I saw. The old "ugly" boxart had a large silver badge boldly declaring that a second disc was included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, it's the newly branded PH version. It doesn't say "Two Discs" on the front of the box, but the box is heavy and on the back it lists out the bonus features.

I may as well. I've been meaning to buy a copy, just so I can finish it up. I already played through most of it on a borrowed copy, but it was really good.

Darn, figures they'd make better box art after I got my copy.

I never liked the box art much on the original release though. Mass Effect 2's isn't the greatest ever, but I like it way more.

I forgot about this. But I doubt anyone around here has it, and I don't know if I want to go out again today.

Broke down and jammed to BB for a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I got this game today. Played about 30min. of it. (no not that far, slow and I smell EVERY rose) Anyway, this game is refreshing, but then because of my FPS ways can be frustrating at times. ATM I think what's the most frustrating is the sniper rifle and how I can't get it to stay steady enough to take a shot.

[quote name='VipFREAK']So, I got this game today. Played about 30min. of it. (no not that far, slow and I smell EVERY rose) Anyway, this game is refreshing, but then because of my FPS ways can be frustrating at times. ATM I think what's the most frustrating is the sniper rifle and how I can't get it to stay steady enough to take a shot.[/QUOTE]

Wait until you get out of the citadel. Then it really gets fast and furious and awesome! :)

Aiming just sucks... I've tried inverting x and y as well as aim assist. I reminds me of Red Faction. It's kinda wishy washy. I'll turn it down to wussie mode (easy) to get though it and hopefully get used to it before I exit the citadel.

Does anyone know if you have completed Mass Effect can you play the Bring down the Sky expansion with the character that you had already created?

[quote name='ncibob']Does anyone know if you have completed Mass Effect can you play the Bring down the Sky expansion with the character that you had already created?[/QUOTE]

You would have to start a new game with the character. You have to have control of the Normandy to do Bring Down the Sky. (or Pinnacle Station for that matter)

bread's done
Back