Mega Man 9 September 25! $9.99, No Trophies, No WideScreen/HD, PURE OLD SCHOOL 8Bit

Kandal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
47 (100%)
Mega Man 9, Coming Soon to PLAYSTATION Network

+ Posted by John Diamonon // Capcom
UPDATE: Mega Man 9 coming to PSN on September 25!!
New exclusive boss artwork.
New website : http://megaman.capcom.com

New game package.
Mega Man 9 coming soon to the PSN for $9.99.

‘Nuff said.

Squamden | September 18th, 2008 at 4:33 pm
Awesome, I’m really excited for this one. I dig the retro look, but I have to wonder, will it run in widescreen on my HD TV, or will it run in a 4:3 window?

John Diamonon replied on September 19, 2008 at 2:19 am

4:3 oldschoolness baby.

adolson | September 18th, 2008 at 4:48 pm
Cool. Will it have a 4GB install?

John Diamonon replied on September 19, 2008 at 2:24 am

more like 4kb..lol..

bader | September 18th, 2008 at 4:55 pm
OMG.
please tell with trophies ?

John Diamonon replied on September 19, 2008 at 2:27 am

I would like to, but unfortunately, no.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Paco']Is the game gonna be less then one mb?[/quote]

John Diamonon replied on September 19, 2008 at 2:24 am

more like 4kb..lol..

[quote name='mykevermin']Why?

also, :lol: at adolson's question.[/quote]
Purely for the controller.

This is of course, if you forget the Wii exists.

I'm kinda pissed that

• No 16:9 HD res
  • No Trophies (but 360 has Achievements)
  • Graphically less than MM7 & 8
Dunno if I'll get it or not.

I wasn't that into the 8-bit retro thing myself until I watched the opening movie on gametrailers. The way they break sentences up between different screens never ceases to make me laugh. It really put me in the right state of mind for something this nostalgic.

wouldn't the Wii have the best controller for this game, just turn the remote sideways like the old nes controllers? not sure which system to get it for now, wii or ps3?

[quote name='mykevermin']Did you see the 360 Achievements?

Laughably fuckin' impossible.[/quote]

Wow, yeah... what's up with that? Makes one wonder why there's no trophies. :whistle2:?

[quote name='dallow']Purely for the controller.

This is of course, if you forget the Wii exists.[/QUOTE]

2514709680_8e5655d1b2.jpg

[quote name='mykevermin']Did you see the 360 Achievements?

Laughably fuckin' impossible.[/QUOTE]

pfffft! noob!! go back to playing your next gen HD shyt consoles which come packaged with a hand for you to hold!!!

oooooohhh~~!!!!

[quote name='SRW1000']Ugh.

4x3 SD 8 bit. Ugly.

I guess nostalgia ain't what it used to be.[/quote]

I beg to differ. I couldn't be more excited about this game, and I absolutely love the graphics/presentation.

Those of you who are looking forward to this might enjoy reading my Mega Man Retrospective from a little while ago. I've been playing through the original 6 NES games in anticipation of MM9.

[quote name='Kandal']Mana Knight | September 18th, 2008 at 5:14 pm
I’m a big Mega Man fan and I’m ecstatic this is coming to PSN. Day one purchase for me. Thank you very much Capcom. I hope to see more Mega Man downloads in the future.
John Diamonon replied on September 19, 2008 at 2:33 am

i figure there will be more Mega Man goodness coming soon.[/quote]

I saw that. The Mana Knight is like everywhere. I am planning on getting this game as well.

I'm on the fence about getting this. $10 doesn't seem like a bad deal, but I've really only played/beaten two other Mega Man games(MM1/MMX). I enjoyed it a lot, but they were the PSP ports. You guys think I'll dig this one?

[quote name='Ahadi']I'm on the fence about getting this. $10 doesn't seem like a bad deal, but I've really only played/beaten two other Mega Man games(MM1/MMX). I enjoyed it a lot, but they were the PSP ports. You guys think I'll dig this one?[/quote]

Both those ports are good, but don't compare to the original games. I recommend you play Mega Man 2 1st (it's on the Wii VC if that's an option for you, or any number of other ways to play NES games that are available, though their legality is disputed).

I want to give PS3 owners a heads up as MM9 on Wii Ware, it's Operations Manual has 800 points worth of DLC mentioned that's coming in October. Bullshit if you ask me.

[quote name='Methadon']I'm kinda pissed that

• No 16:9 HD res
  • No Trophies (but 360 has Achievements)
  • Graphically less than MM7 & 8
Dunno if I'll get it or not.[/quote]

Finally, someone who isn't going geek crazy over this. I thought I was the only that thought Capcom was doing everyone a disservice by making this a "retro" 8-bit game.

[quote name='Squall835']Finally, someone who isn't going geek crazy over this. I thought I was the only that thought Capcom was doing everyone a disservice by making this a "retro" 8-bit game.[/quote]

I'm actually a fan of the 8-bit retro style. Actually I, Sonic 4 is probably my dream game... but I wish they did make an optional widescreen mode.

[quote name='PhrostByte']I'm actually a fan of the 8-bit retro style. Actually I, Sonic 4 is probably my dream game... but I wish they did make an optional widescreen mode.[/quote]

I'm not against an old school look, I just think they picked the wrong school. If this game went back to the 16-bit era, I'd be interested. As it is, I won't buy it.

[quote name='KingBroly']I want to give PS3 owners a heads up as MM9 on Wii Ware, it's Operations Manual has 800 points worth of DLC mentioned that's coming in October. Bullshit if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

I'll pick up the game on whatever system people seem to complain about the d-pad's response on the least, but I won't touch the DLC on this one.

I'm kind of annoyed. I was suppost to get this for free, and today because of a really good gameshare, and well he changed his mind, and I can't. I guess I'll still get it... I want it still. :bomb:

:whee::whee:Game is fucking awesome, game is fucking awesome, game is fucking awesome!:whee::whee::whee:

VC version controls are spot on. Everytime I died it was my own fault for not being in 1988 anymore.

Is this game still coming out the 25th? The 360 channnel says it's been pushed back 'til 10/1, but perhaps that's just the 360 version so as not to compete with Duke Nukem. I'd prefer to play it on the PS3 anyway for the D-pad, so can anyone confirm the date. I'm rather excited for this one.

Way to go, Capcom!

Endless Attack - 300 Wii Points - Sale Date: 10/6
- "Test your skills on a stage without end. Try to break the record for getting the farthest. Results will be displayed in the Rankings. Not compatible with Challenges."
Hero Mode - 100 Wii Points - Sale Date: 10/20
- "Play the game with a more difficult level of enemy distribution. Not compatible with Rankings or Challenges."
Superhero Mode - 100 Wii Points - Sale Date: 10/20
- "Play the game with a super difficult level of enemy distribution. Not compatible with Rankings or Challenges."
Proto Man Mode - 200 Wii Points - Sale Date: 10/6
- "Play the game as Proto Man. You can use the shield while jumping. Some of Proto Man's abilities may differ from Mega Man's. There is no story for Proto Man. Not compatible with Rankings or Challenges."
Special Stage - 100 Wii Points - Sale Date: 10/20
- "Gives you another Time Attack Stage to try, including a new Boss at the end! Results with be displayed in the Rankings. Not compatible with Challenges."

This is the kind of nickel and diming that gives DLC a bad name. Capcom just released Bionic Commando: Rearmed for $10 including a bunch of difficulty levels, coop play, multiplayer, and a bunch of challenge rooms, with HD graphics. All without needing extra DLC, and did I mention it was $10?

For Mega Man 9 I appreciate the old school approach to both the gameplay and graphics, but charging extra money for different levels of difficulty! Complete fucking crap! I'm not going to not get the game, but I guarantee I'm not going to be giving them my fucking money for DLC. This game cost nowhere near as much money as BC:R did to produce and will likely sell a ton more copies based on the name alone. So charging for all this little crap is flat out gouging in my opinion. :bomb:

Edit: I might wait a few months on this one and see if they do a DLC bundle for $12-15, but only because I would have still considered $15 a fair price for a COMPLETE game, instead of $10 for an incomplete game plus $8 for a bunch of stuff that should already have been there. It isn't like there is a shortage of good games to get on Thursday on PSN *cough* Wipeout *cough*

Last edited by a moderator:
I might buy this if enough of my friends want to go in on it to make it free for me :p
I'd definitely buy DLC that gave a widescreen/HD-res mode.

[quote name='Squall835']I'm not against an old school look, I just think they picked the wrong school. If this game went back to the 16-bit era, I'd be interested. As it is, I won't buy it.[/quote]

Absolutely. X1 and X3 were 2 of my favorite Megaman games of all time... MM2 and MM4 also rank very high up there.

this is stupid, they should cash in by printing a thousand or so working NES carts of the game and selling them for $50 each, not difficulty levels.

It's like they're trying to piss off all the fans they've been courting so hard (look at the playstation blog posts) :wall:

[quote name='josh_animebum']Way to go, Capcom!

Endless Attack - 300 Wii Points - Sale Date: 10/6
- "Test your skills on a stage without end. Try to break the record for getting the farthest. Results will be displayed in the Rankings. Not compatible with Challenges."
Hero Mode - 100 Wii Points - Sale Date: 10/20
- "Play the game with a more difficult level of enemy distribution. Not compatible with Rankings or Challenges."
Superhero Mode - 100 Wii Points - Sale Date: 10/20
- "Play the game with a super difficult level of enemy distribution. Not compatible with Rankings or Challenges."
Proto Man Mode - 200 Wii Points - Sale Date: 10/6
- "Play the game as Proto Man. You can use the shield while jumping. Some of Proto Man's abilities may differ from Mega Man's. There is no story for Proto Man. Not compatible with Rankings or Challenges."
Special Stage - 100 Wii Points - Sale Date: 10/20
- "Gives you another Time Attack Stage to try, including a new Boss at the end! Results with be displayed in the Rankings. Not compatible with Challenges."

This is the kind of nickel and diming that gives DLC a bad name. Capcom just released Bionic Commando: Rearmed for $10 including a bunch of difficulty levels, coop play, multiplayer, and a bunch of challenge rooms, with HD graphics. All without needing extra DLC, and did I mention it was $10?

For Mega Man 9 I appreciate the old school approach to both the gameplay and graphics, but charging extra money for different levels of difficulty! Complete fucking crap! I'm not going to not get the game, but I guarantee I'm not going to be giving them my fucking money for DLC. This game cost nowhere near as much money as BC:R did to produce and will likely sell a ton more copies based on the name alone. So charging for all this little crap is flat out gouging in my opinion. :bomb:

Edit: I might wait a few months on this one and see if they do a DLC bundle for $12-15, but only because I would have still considered $15 a fair price for a COMPLETE game, instead of $10 for an incomplete game plus $8 for a bunch of stuff that should already have been there. It isn't like there is a shortage of good games to get on Thursday on PSN *cough* Wipeout *cough*[/quote]

Jeez bro, you always have to find the turd in the toilet.

lol I love DLC, it pisses people off as if they dont have the option for it.

and chances are, most of u guys suck at MM9 already,

what can you possibly do with DLC, suck more???

[quote name='bornrunnin31']Yea, that DLC really fucking pisses me off! That's an extra $8 worth that easily could've been included, whether it's "retro" or not.

:bomb:[/QUOTE]
Or they could've included it and charged $20 for the whole thing. You realize that's the alternative, right?

Wow, I've been getting over my disgust and dismay of DLC and Digital Distrubution with most of the August PSN releases and some RB tracks and then Capcom decides to epitomize everything I feared/hate to see happen with it. I'll grab the game, but none of that stuff even interests me if released on PSN

My opinion, comparing the Wii Ware (480i) version and the PSN (1080p) demo version.
I think the Wii Ware version looks better

bread's done
Back