Mega Man 9 September 25! $9.99, No Trophies, No WideScreen/HD, PURE OLD SCHOOL 8Bit

[quote name='DrNo888']I tried the demo and deleted it like after 10 games. Couldn't go more than 100ft in game lol. So fricking hard!
Maybe I'll actually try to learn timing and patterns later.[/quote]

Hang in there, it's all about memorizing what works. Those fuckin elephants almost ruined the game for me in the concrete level. But I came back and kept trying. I think they over-spiked in every level but the challenge is do-able.

Some tips: Stockpile extra lives in the shop before you start a level and hopefully when you get it down, you can reload where you were and make it through in a life or two and carry over with all those extra lives.

Use the bottomless pit of enemies to your advantage.. if you're about to enter the boss room, keep walking backwards and back to a recurring enemy until they drop a power-up you need before moving on.

Good advice, Qig. Farming enemies is essential in this game, to make sure you're fully charged before facing a boss or something. I don't think the current generation of game players is used to A) needing to or B) enemies spawning back so quickly.

EDIT:

All this talk of difficult, but not impossible, reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpP_BKPa5Oc

:rofl:

All I need to do is get through Wily's Castle untouched and I'll get the Mr.Perfect Challenge, but Stage 2 always knicks me in some way, and the spikes in the underwater section do me in half the time, and if not that, I'll get hit by Magma or Tornado man in the last section randomly, especially Magma man, damn I hate him.

Magma Man's hella easy dood... the tornado erases his bullets from the screen.

Actually he's the boss I ended up getting the defeat without taking damage challenge

Protovator.jpg

lol where a yellow scarf.

wear is the scarf???

[quote name='JEKKI']Magma Man's hella easy dood... the tornado erases his bullets from the screen.

Actually he's the boss I ended up getting the defeat without taking damage challenge[/quote]

Yea, but his jumps are random and most of the time after unloading the T.Blow he'll have 3-4 pixels of life left and he'll either sit trying to get his fire going or he'll jump once more. His randomness makes it difficult to consistently kill him without taking damage, but Tornado man gives me the most problems.

Also, does anyone know if this offers remote play?

And this is the yellow scarf:
200px-Protoman7.jpg

The game does not support remote play (at least according to a posting on the Playstation Blog by a Capcom employee). It is sort of lame, but considering how unplayable the Bionic Commando: Rearmed remote play was the lack of support is probably a blessing.

I finally broke down and bought the game yesterday. I was hoping to hold out for a bundle with Protoman and the Endless level, but I failed to resist the Blue Bomber's siren call.

I'm not the hardcore Mega Man enthusiast that one of my friends is, but I did beat MM 1-8 and MMX 1-8 so I figured I'd be able to handle the difficulty.

I was able to beat 2 bosses in less than an hour of playtime (Concrete Man on my second set of lives when fighting him, and Galaxy Man who went down on my first attempt at fighting him
since I was lucky enough to choose the boss who had a weakness to Concrete Man's weapon. I have avoided looking up the boss weaknesses so far.

So far I'm enjoying it and even though I ragged on remote play, I sort of wish it did support it since then I'd be able to try playing it over the weekend when I'm out of town.:cry:

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Yea, but his jumps are random and most of the time after unloading the T.Blow he'll have 3-4 pixels of life left and he'll either sit trying to get his fire going or he'll jump once more. His randomness makes it difficult to consistently kill him without taking damage, but Tornado man gives me the most problems.

Also, does anyone know if this offers remote play?

And this is the yellow scarf:
200px-Protoman7.jpg
[/quote]

You might be able to use the Hornet Shot on him for those last few bits of life. Since they follow enemies, it wouldn't matter where he is, and you wouldn't have to line up your shot so much. Just spam that bitch with bees!

[quote name='johnnypark']You might be able to use the Hornet Shot on him for those last few bits of life. Since they follow enemies, it wouldn't matter where he is, and you wouldn't have to line up your shot so much. Just spam that bitch with bees![/quote]
The bees are too slow for him IMO. If anything I'll use the B.H.B. to avoid his flame shots but avoiding contact with him is the main problem because of his random jumping, he really has no set pattern, but I've gotten more used to it and can beat him with ease now, it's just Tornado Man that can knick me once in a while ;O

I've been able to get to Wily untouched but his second form nails me at least once with the flame shot when he hovers over you then tried to drop on you then shoots the flame. I've resorted to the R.Coil b/c I can't consistently dodge that one, but when he corners you with the other flame shot, that one I can easily avoid. You basically time it right before he shoots it out and jump up, that way he fires it higher and away from you, and if you didn't know,
his 2nd form is weak against the Concrete shot and his third form is weak against the Plug Ball.

I'm coming so close to completing Mr.Perfect >_< (96% done)

[quote name='JEKKI']have you tried using Black Hole Bomb for the flames or for the 2nd form in general???

it works hella good.[/quote]
Yea, I've done that before, but I want to save it for the third form just in case he appears right above me, it's happened a bunch of times and is just annoying >.>

I'm glad they have a time trial mode though, get to practice and post up record times while I'm at it ;O

I never realized how useful the Concrete shot is til' recently.

I'm milking this game for all it's worth! Just like BC rearmed! Haha

Beat me to it, Jekki. That seems like the perfect solution to not worry about weapons energy, and kill bosses a lot faster since you could just spam the special weapons with less reservation. Are you positive it doesn't count against the challenge?

Ok you guys, I should just lay out my plan so you know what I'm doing because you're saying stuff I'm already doing :p

Btw, a M tank doesn't count against you, it's all a matter of if you take damage or not.

Here goes my long-winded explanation:

I buy M tank and Eddie (for weapon energy purposes) before going in, get through the stage saving my T.Blow by using concrete shots getting through the first stage, and using four B.H.B. shots on the dragon (Pausing and shooting another one ensure quick work of the dragon). Use Magma Bazooka initially in boss fight to push back three of the spike balls then use Mega Buster for the rest of the fight.

Stage 2 - Use both weapon energy capsules to refill M. Bazooka and B.H.B. Primarily use Rush jet all the way to miniboss. Use charged up M.Bazooka on Clock Flower miniboss (A charged up shot will destroy the projectiles it flings at you) There are two options for avoiding the flower line, either run around or wait for it at the top and just jump over it, depends on where the flower likes to pop up.)
Use the B.H.B. on the water mines, in the following section I like to use the Rush Jet because the first jump with a spiked floor is my achilles heel and this is to make sure I make the jump. The following jump before the ladder I use a concrete shot as a stepping stone just in case I jump a bit early. J. Satellite is used til' the two giant enemies at the end, I use charged up M.Bazooka then uncharged shot or Plug Shots, depends on the amount of Weapon Energy I have left. For the first part of the boss I start with H. Chaser since the pod is out of reach and it also takes out the missles, once it lowers into jumping range, I use the L.Trident. Second section, make sure to have a FULL bar of T.Blow otherwise this part is a lot more tricky; Just unload and it'll be done in no time. Third part, just use L.Trident again, and B.H.B. if the lasers might hit the Blue Bomber.

Stage 3 - IMO, the easiest of the Wily Stages. Liberal use of weapons here until the M tank later in the stage. Before getting the M tank, I use the one previously bought, and use weapons sparingly. In the last section I memorized where the cannons are and inch forward so they barely show on the screen. This makes getting through them much more efficient, as the cannon will be aiming upwards which will allow you to hit them with the M.Buster, others just require quick fire. On the proto-man wannabes, I use the Plug Shot for the one above and the L. Trident for the last one since it'll hit him even when he has his shield up. This boss is extremely easy once you know the pattern. Use the B.H.B. and pause, then shoot again; If you're quick enough you can get three hits in one pass, just requiring two passes to do him in.

Final Stage - Gotta make each Concrete Shot count with the lasers to save as much as possible for the upcoming boss(2nd form of Wily). I take care of the bosses in a clock-wise fashion, I won't go into detail since there are FAQ's on the bosses already. I do everything but use the C. Shot on Galaxy man. I already talked about the second form earlier, so I'll just mention the last form. It's simple but not so much. When he's up in the corner and his bar is filling up, you can time it with either a Charged M.Bazooka or H.Chaser to get a hit in on him before he dissapears. This can useful because if you were just to use the Plug Shot, he will end up with 1 pixel of life left before the last shot so this would end the fight quicker. Sometimes he'll tend to appear right above you, and when he is about to shoot, use B.H.B. and he'll just sit there and quickly switch to the Plug Shot to get a hit or two in. Once you're out of B.H.B, use the M tank and you'll also have a full bar of T.Blow as well. If the fight drags on, you still have Eddie in hopes that he can provide some weapon energy capsules.

That right there is basically my thought process going through all the stages, it's just a matter of getting it right, and frustration creeps up when I'm so close and I get hit that I gotta blurb about it somewhere :/

[quote name='Mr Durand Pierre']Not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but if they haven't, everyone simply MUST watch this video RIGHT NOW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co6O...dvdinmypants.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=317023[/quote]

LMAO VERY CREATIVE :applause::applause::applause:

EDIT: MEGA MEGA MEGA MEGA MEGA MAN! VOTING FOR BARACK OBAMA!!!

Edit 2: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...&postcount=118
I AM MEGAMAN I GOT A MOTHER fuckING GUN FOR A HAND! MEGA MEGA MEGA MAN! I'm also known as the blu bomber also voting for BARACK OBAMA!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Inf^Shini']Checked out some vids of the endless stage, it looks really neat and unforgiving!

They even threw in some nostalgia![/QUOTE]
I love Endless Stage, even though I suck at it. And I'm not pleased that the "download" is just a key to unlock it, but whatever. :bomb:

[quote name='liquidcross']I love Endless Stage, even though I suck at it. And I'm not pleased that the "download" is just a key to unlock it, but whatever. :bomb:[/quote]

Am I correct in assuming that so far all of the downloadable extras are basically just unlock keys?

My assumption is that the game contains the music tracks already (because the soundtrack has already been released with the Special and Endless mode stage themes), but not the actual mode, so what you download is probably the game data, and seeing as how this is retro, the game data would be expected to be a small size.

Got the rest of the modes last night. Holy shit, Superhero Mode is beyond ridiculous. Makes the regular game look like a piece of cake!

And the downloads are definitely keys. The stuff's already in the game, as evidenced by the "??????" markers on the menus, and some of the downloads unlock huge levels, that would easily pass the 100KB mark if they were actually contained within the download. I know the old NES games were small, but we live in the days of larger filesizes.

bread's done
Back