Metal Gear Solid 4 & Metal Gear Online - 8/6: Rumored Trophy Update Out Now? Rumor!

[quote name='Davestation']There is a reason why it is called a BETA. If anyone has tested out any other Beta's they would know that there are many glitches to be had. How would you feel if you paid $59.99 or $84.99 and took the game home and the online feature was not there? This is the reasons for Betas, and now I can not wait for everyone to start bitching after it is released on how glithey the beta is. I've beta tested Socom II, Socom III, Smackdown Vs. Raw, and some other one that Sony sent me that I only played for a few minutes. All of those games had a huge improvement upon release to retail and everyone on the boards where complaining about the free beta. MGO is a free beta, the purpose of the $5.00 is for preordering and applying it to the final value of buying the game, thus the Beta is free. For those who decide to just spend $5.00 for the beta only, they technically get what they pay for, don't expect too much for a $5.00 Beta.[/quote]

Sure, glitches are acceptable. However, I at least expect that for a little while, it will work. So far everything as been a horrible experience.

[quote name='Davestation']There is a reason why it is called a BETA. If anyone has tested out any other Beta's they would know that there are many glitches to be had. How would you feel if you paid $59.99 or $84.99 and took the game home and the online feature was not there? This is the reasons for Betas, and now I can not wait for everyone to start bitching after it is released on how glithey the beta is. I've beta tested Socom II, Socom III, Smackdown Vs. Raw, and some other one that Sony sent me that I only played for a few minutes. All of those games had a huge improvement upon release to retail and everyone on the boards where complaining about the free beta. MGO is a free beta, the purpose of the $5.00 is for preordering and applying it to the final value of buying the game, thus the Beta is free. For those who decide to just spend $5.00 for the beta only, they technically get what they pay for, don't expect too much for a $5.00 Beta.[/quote]

I agree beta's will be glitchy, this is fine, however there is currently no beta unless I have missed something. Secondly why should I have to even preorder the game to play the beta when every other market got it for free with almost no string attached. Either way this was a bad way for the situation to be handled and the only up may be the extension in the deadline, depending when they actually get the servers back up.

You can use the Beta scapegoat all you want on the start delay. But the Konami/GAME/PSN ID situation is bullshit (not the downtime, but the stupid rules and methodology set by this system), and it's obvious this type of system was not meant for public consumption yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if Konami dropped all the tables for these IDs and replace them with a better method in the near future.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Japan really needs to step it up when it comes to online gaming.[/quote]

^^Pretty much all that needs to be said...

darnit! i had all of my papers written and readings read for this upcoming week too in anticipation of mgo beta.

the new dates...are during finals....noooooooo

[quote name='bornrunnin31']According to http://www.konami.jp/mgo/us/

NEW Start date is planned for 4/25[/QUOTE]

Heh. Perhaps they're not going to do anything to the servers, but just hope that people focus so much on GTAIV that there won't be as much activity during the bulk of the test.

I don't have so much of a problem right now with the software: it's clear that the problem is on the server end of things, so it's not as if the software is a piece of junk that can't be repaired by 6/12.

That said, I don't see how Konami will fix the single biggest problem with MGO before release: the four damned names you need to play:
1) PSN
2) Konami ID
3) MGO ID
4) MGO ingame character name

What the fuck are they thinking? I don't see how they're going to strip that out of the game, and that's more annoying that any beta delays: the delay is temporary, while this will be in the final version almost certainly.

[quote name='mykevermin']Heh. Perhaps they're not going to do anything to the servers, but just hope that people focus so much on GTAIV that there won't be as much activity during the bulk of the test.
[/quote]

But GTA IV comes out on the 29th, so there will at least be 4 days of chaos.

fuck, I've already forgotten everything except my PSN name. Oh well, by the time the beta actually releases I'll be neck-deep in finals, P3 FES and, a few days later, GTA IV. Good luck Konami, test it your own damn self next time.

You have to remember, it is a free beta, as in not a final release, a test. By participating we are in fact nothing more than guinea pigs and should expect to be treated as nothing more. Konami has no obligation at this point. The whole purpose of a beta is to fix what is wrong before paying customers (those who have a legitimate right to complain it doesn't work) complain.

Beta test the game, not the website. Bigger websites than this are rolled out all the time. konami is a _big_ company, not some wannabe hacker in his mom's basement coding HTML in notepad.exe! Website testing can be largely automated, and if your product is really that flaky, start with a small closed group testing. But I guess the logic for those decisions, were likely made by the same yo-yo who decided we needed a PSN ID, Konami ID, Game ID.

~S

[quote name='mnine']You have to remember, it is a free beta, as in not a final release, a test. By participating we are in fact nothing more than guinea pigs and should expect to be treated as nothing more. Konami has no obligation at this point. The whole purpose of a beta is to fix what is wrong before paying customers (those who have a legitimate right to complain it doesn't work) complain.[/quote]

That is nice and logical, but beta tests really aren't what they used to be. They are more like interactive advertisements now.

[quote name='snowsquirrel']not some wannabe hacker in his mom's basement coding HTML in notepad.exe![/quote]
Hey! Don't be hatin' on notepad! :(

[quote name='mark_wous']tried login in today here ( amsterdam) but still not working[/quote]

Weird, I wonder why. I hope someone updates info on this problem.

[quote name='mykevermin']
That said, I don't see how Konami will fix the single biggest problem with MGO before release: the four damned names you need to play:
1) PSN
2) Konami ID
3) MGO ID
4) MGO ingame character name

What the fuck are they thinking? I don't see how they're going to strip that out of the game, and that's more annoying that any beta delays: the delay is temporary, while this will be in the final version almost certainly.[/quote]

Konami's thoughts = Money

From reading the fine print on some of the agreements, I think it is pretty clear what Konami is hoping will happen with MGO. They are looking to microtransaction us in a way that will bypass the PSN cutting out Sony as the middlemen on these purchases.

After all lets see what we've got so far:
1) Built in update system which uses bittorrent instead of the already established PSN (after all every other game I've played so far on the PS3 has had updates through the PSN, and not directly in the software).
2) The fact that the MGO included with MGS4 has been labeled a "Starter Pack" at last years TGS (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/19/tgs-07-metal-gear-solid-4-to-include-online-starter-pack/)
3) The Konami ID account. Pretty much the entirety of the email confirmation agreement talks about payments in the form of credit cards and points (which means in addition to Wii, Live, and PSN cards it looks like Konami may have their own fucking cards at retail :roll:)

My conclusion is that Konami sees that the big three can all make money through their online services and figures that they can do the same. It wouldn't surprise me to see MGO get a ton of microtransactions which will make EA look sane by comparison.;)

Please prove me wrong, Konami.

That's an interesting theory.

What I still don't get is why they don't simply use the Konami account for the Game account? What's the point of having that one?

I was looking forward to this beta carrying me through to GTA .. Harumph.

Well hopefully I can download the damn update. I think I'm going to avoid MGO unless that thing rocks my balls. I don't like the idea of using 49 different log ins or names just to play the game.

[quote name='terribledeli']For someone who's beta tested so many products, you'd think you'd realize it's far too long on the development time line for a meaningful beta test. Sure, we might be able to sway some of the minor mechanics for a specific weapon or skill, but we're not really testing the product here. It's a glorified demo at this point. Maybe six months ago (Say, during August 20th through September 3rd 2007. In Japan. Limited to 3,000 people), your argument would have had more weight. But not now.

We're, at the very best, just doing stress tests on the servers. Which failed miserably.[/quote]

Actually, your last sentence is dead on. The main reason for the test is to test the servers. The Beta we have downloaded is probably a few months old and they are still tweaking it. Why would you only want 3,000 people in one region to test? Thats not a good way to test the servers. In fact what I am saying is that more, and more people are going to complain. The complaining got so bad on Socom II that a developer from Zipper Interactive had to post info mentioning that the beta was several months old and majority of the problems already have been fixed and that the main reason is for the servers. Obviousley Konami under estimated the high traffic. They are still going to give us extra time on it, and yes they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing this. My main point is that to complain about something for free and demanding that it not have any errors is ridiculouse. The part you need to complain about is if you spent $60 to $85 is a right to complain.

[quote name='mrelusive']You can use the Beta scapegoat all you want on the start delay. But the Konami/GAME/PSN ID situation is bullshit (not the downtime, but the stupid rules and methodology set by this system), and it's obvious this type of system was not meant for public consumption yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if Konami dropped all the tables for these IDs and replace them with a better method in the near future.[/quote]

I agree with you here. I did not like registering seperate names. It would be nice if PSN made everyone have one name ale X-Box Live. This is how the old system was on the PS2 with Socom, Metal Gear Online, Amplitude, and others. You always had to sign in and register your name with that companies server. I wish that Konami could figure this out, I don't like having a Konami shopping ID, A Konami Log-In ID, and a Konami Gamer ID all with seperate passwords.

I tried logging on to the servers today because I was unaware of the delay. Glad to know it wasn't something on my end. Although I have to admit that it's a bit worrisome that Konami is experiencing this many problems, mainly with all of these damn IDs. Sony needs to just make everything centralized like it is on Live.

[quote name='terribledeli']We're, at the very best, just doing stress tests on the servers. Which failed miserably.[/QUOTE]
Huh? As long as the release of the actual game goes smoothly, it's a great success. We haven't even touched their servers yet.
[quote name='mrelusive']I wonder if they are beta-testing the ordered list on that page aswell...[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

[quote name='mrelusive']
EDIT: I wonder if they are beta-testing the ordered list on that page aswell...[/quote]
:applause:

They are beta testing a breakthrough new algorithm for retrieving, and storing user data: bubble-sort, on PSN-Konami ID-Game ID, all at the same time.

~S

[quote name='pete5883']We haven't even touched their servers yet.[/quote]

Yes they did. Folks got on the servers. It just crashed 20 minutes later. Therefore, it failed the stress testing of the servers miserably.

And much like every major online release before it, failed stress tests won't benefit the retail release. The game will come out. Servers will go down. It will be June 15th before we can access the online portion.

How long does it take you guys to download the freaking beta? It's been an hour and a half and it's barely at 25%...I hate the PSN!

[quote name='RiCeBo1']How long does it take you guys to download the freaking beta? It's been an hour and a half and it's barely at 25%...I hate the PSN![/quote]This has nothing to do with the PSN. It's Konami's servers that are the problem.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']i'm semi pissed there's a delay since I'll be gone this weekend. oh well. I will barely play it I know since when I come back monday I'll be playing GTAIV already.[/quote]

Monday? Doesn't GTA IV come out on Tuesday, the 29th?

[quote name='lanzarlaluna']This has nothing to do with the PSN. It's Konami's servers that are the problem.[/QUOTE]

I still hate the PSN, it takes me 2 hours to download a 1 gig demo when on the 360 it takes me only 15 mins. Grr...

[quote name='prmononoke']Monday? Doesn't GTA IV come out on Tuesday, the 29th?[/quote]

Right, but many people are getting it at midnight, and they're thinking of it as Monday night rather than super-early Tuesday.

[quote name='RiCeBo1']I still hate the PSN, it takes me 2 hours to download a 1 gig demo when on the 360 it takes me only 15 mins. Grr...[/quote]It sounds like your connection, not the PSN. I have a PS3 and a file about that size takes around 10 minutes. I hear the 360 is considerably faster. But there is no way that the PS3 should take hours for a file of that size. It's definitely your connection. My MGO download only took minutes. Just be happy if you're able to download via P2P when you need to get the updates. I got my game demo, got my IDs and have no way to do this stupid update because my school blocks P2P.

Wow. This entire thing is a clusterfuck. I already don't want to play it, and it's not even out yet. If the game isn't amazing, I'm not even going to bother with the full version. I'll stick to the single player version.

Isn't Ryan Peyton the one in charge of this game? I thought he was there to "westernize" Metal Gear, and make it more palatable to a Western audience. That's the sense I got about his involvement in MGS4, from comments by Shane at 1up. Hmm. Why is this such a mess, then? The Konami brass must be fucking things up from above. The only fault of Sony's in this that I can tell is not forcing these fuckers to use their system. fuck this game.

Meh it's a beta, as long as the full verison is fine I don't really care. Also I got a spare beta code if somebody needs one. PM and I'll give to you if I still have it.

arko, chill out. It's a beta. No matter what argument you make about the game, the point still stands that a beta is not a demo or a prerelease for lucky fans. It's to test the game and work out bugs. There are bugs right now.

QQ more.

And what does Westernization have to do with beta testing?

[quote name='Thongsy']Meh it's a beta, as long as the full verison is fine I don't really care. Also I got a spare beta code if somebody needs one. PM and I'll give to you if I still have it.[/quote]

So I haven't quite figured out, do you need an actual beta code to participate, if you've already made a Konami ID and Game ID? Or do you just sign in with those?

You need the code to download the beta, which you can get from the MG Saga DVDs that have been going around in various stores for preorders of MGS4.

[quote name='orko60']Wow. This entire thing is a clusterfuck. I already don't want to play it, and it's not even out yet. If the game isn't amazing, I'm not even going to bother with the full version. I'll stick to the single player version.

Isn't Ryan Peyton the one in charge of this game? I thought he was there to "westernize" Metal Gear, and make it more palatable to a Western audience. That's the sense I got about his involvement in MGS4, from comments by Shane at 1up. Hmm. Why is this such a mess, then? The Konami brass must be fucking things up from above. The only fault of Sony's in this that I can tell is not forcing these fuckers to use their system. fuck this game.[/quote]
MGO was made by a separate team from the MGS4 team.

[quote name='zengonzo']So I haven't quite figured out, do you need an actual beta code to participate, if you've already made a Konami ID and Game ID? Or do you just sign in with those?[/quote]

Yes you need an actual beta code which you can get from either reserving it, or buying the MGS Saga Vol 2 DVD ($5), most have bought it @ there local GS or BB

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']You need the code to download the beta, which you can get from the MG Saga DVDs that have been going around in various stores for preorders of MGS4.

MGO was made by a separate team from the MGS4 team.[/quote]

So if I've already managed to download the beta and have a sign in, I should be set?

I don't know how I managed to download the beta without a code, but I've got it ..

What a roller coaster ride. I didn't think I'd be able to get into the Beta because I live in Japan right now. (Yes, now I realize how dumb I was) I only ever heard about the US and Europe. So when I found out the Beta was delayed in those territories, I also found out it was not in Japan, and that it was an OPEN Beta here. Woohoo! I finally, FINALLY, got it figured out since I had to do everything in Japanese (I think I had to), and it still won't work.
I couldn't find the out if I had done something wrong or not. Well, I just took the time to look up all the difficult, super polite words in Japanese on Konami's website. It says that Japan is in the same boat as all you dirty gaijin out there. So, although I'm pissed now, I didn't think I'd get to play this at all earlier in the week. I guess it was beautiful, ignorant bliss not having to wait. Now where the heck are my COD4 maps and GTA4? Mwwwwwwwuuuuuuuuahhhh. I guess I'll play the new DLC I got for warhawk now. Poor me.

Has anyone been able to get the 1.01 update? Each time I try via either method I get dropped. Also do I signup for a Konami ID after the 1.01 update or do I have to go to a Konami site to do it?

bread's done
Back