Metal Gear Solid Essentials coming March 18th - $29.99

I'm curious if the edition of Subsistence in this package will contain the MSX versions of Metal Gear and MGS2: Solid Snake. I'd feel like a fool if I sold the Subsistence I have and this package doesn't have those. They're on the MGO disc, IIRC, which means there's a good chance they're gonna get left on the cutting room floor.

[quote name='criticalkare']Sorry for noob question, but does this package contain full game of MGS2 sons of liberty, and snake eater or is it just substance? I am confused sorry... :p[/quote]

description on the site says MGS, MGS2: Substance and MGS3: Subsistence. so that means you only get the versions with all the additional content.

[quote name='xewndar1']do you guys think this will play on my PS3?[/quote]

if you only have the 40GB PS3, time to shell out for a PS2 SLim :)

if you have a 60GB PS3, the MGS2 and MGS3 games look awesome upscaled.

[quote name='xewndar1']do you guys think this will play on my PS3?[/QUOTE]

I played Subsistence on my 60gb PS3 a couple months back. The screen would actually cut out when I played through HDMI. It would go blank for a couple seconds and then come back in. I dealt with all the way to the lizard guy but it was impossible to beat him with the screen cutting out (thats right..i'm patient) Anyway, I read on forums that this was common for others. I picked up some component cables from Target when they went on clearance and plugged those in. It seemed to alleviate the problem. Who knows if it will be fixed or not...but something to consider.

[quote name='hero101']Does play asia charge your credit card before shipping the game or after they ship the game? Let me know.[/quote]

they only charge when they ship. you can cancel before that if you change your mind.

[quote name='LiK']if you only have the 40GB PS3, time to shell out for a PS2 SLim :)

if you have a 60GB PS3, the MGS2 and MGS3 games look awesome upscaled.[/quote]
How about 80GB PS3?

[quote name='eau']How about 80GB PS3?[/quote]

found the page:
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

put in the title with themodel # and it'll list all the problems. seems like most problems involve the cutscenes for MGS3.

example: MGS3 "During various FMA sequences throughout the title, the FMA does not play as "smooth" as normal. "

Should I sell my SEALED MGS3: Sub LE VERSION w/ Special DVD? Or will this new version include everything that that one does?

[quote name='cag1000']Should I sell my SEALED MGS3: Sub LE VERSION w/ Special DVD? Or will this new version include everything that that one does?[/quote] Don't think so. The LE has an extra disc. This new version will probably include the regular subsistence disc.

The LE will still be in high demand since people who want the LE are mostly collectors. Gamers who want to play the game would get the regular subsistence for much less. It's the same game without the extra disc and the red case.

[quote name='cag1000']Should I sell my SEALED MGS3: Sub LE VERSION w/ Special DVD? Or will this new version include everything that that one does?[/quote]

this is just games only. it's similar to the DMC box set that came out before.

[quote name='B.K.']Yes. It's still a Playstation game. They just put it in a DVD case. If you look closely at the top of the box, it says Playstation, not Playstation 2.[/QUOTE]

That is weak.

I almost jumped for joy when I saw this.
And then I wondered why everyone wasn't going crazy over a full blown PS2 version of MGS 1?
There is no way they would just throw in the PS1 game would they? - Umm, I guess so.

Just lame.

Its not like the work isn't 80% done, they basically used the PS2 engine with MGS 1 on the Gamecube with Twin Snakes. Just remap the controls and voila, you got a PS2 version!
They even re-recorded the cutscenes and rescored the music.

Went from a must buy to an, oh well.

Too bad that anyone that has passed on Subsistence this long will miss out on the best part: MGO! God, that was fun. Now that I think about it, damn, I miss playing that thing.

[quote name='mykevermin']I'm curious if the edition of Subsistence in this package will contain the MSX versions of Metal Gear and MGS2: Solid Snake. I'd feel like a fool if I sold the Subsistence I have and this package doesn't have those. They're on the MGO disc, IIRC, which means there's a good chance they're gonna get left on the cutting room floor.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm interested in that as well. You would think that if they were included they would mention something about having 5 games, or the complete Metal Gear story (sans PO of course) or something.

Makes me think they may not make it.

[quote name='JoMasta']I'm waiting to buy until I see it on US sites. Odd it hasn't popped up yet anywhere else....[/quote]

same, nice find tho OP

It's too bad we aren't getting the REAL Metal Gear Solid collection that they released in Japan last year... It has the MSX version of the original games, and includes a story synopsis DVD as well as the PSP game and Document of MGS2 PS2 disc. :(

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-49-en-70-21vx.html

This box contents 8 discs:

- Metal Gear [PS2]
- Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake [PS2]
- Metal Gear Solid [PS]
- Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Libery [PS2]
- Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater [PS2]
- Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops [PSP]
- Metal Gear Saga [DVD]
- The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 [PS2]

pa.95757.1.jpg

[quote name='tripredicus']It's too bad we aren't getting the REAL Metal Gear Solid collection that they released in Japan last year... It has the MSX version of the original games, and includes a story synopsis DVD as well as the PSP game and Document of MGS2 PS2 disc. :(

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-49-en-70-21vx.html

This box contents 8 discs:

- Metal Gear [PS2]
- Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake [PS2]
- Metal Gear Solid [PS]
- Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Libery [PS2]
- Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater [PS2]
- Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops [PSP]
- Metal Gear Saga [DVD]
- The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 [PS2]

pa.95757.1.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I would buy that in a freaking second. I thought MGS wasn't as popular in Japan as it is in the US? If that's true, why don't we get that sweet deal?

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']I would buy that in a freaking second. I thought MGS wasn't as popular in Japan as it is in the US? If that's true, why don't we get that sweet deal?[/quote]

Overall MGS is much more popular in Japan than in the US, and reissues tend to sell a bit better over there, so that is why they get all these lavish editions.

Hopefully when MGS 4 comes out there will be a collector's edition comparable to the Japanese version.

[quote name='yukine']Wow, I'm all over that. I don't have the first game on the PS2 (obviously) and I don't have the Substance version of MGS2.[/quote]

I don't believe the first MGS on this box set is for PS2.. I think it's still PS1. I'm still gonna be on this though.

[quote name='Sgt Grumbles']I already own everything in this set, but I could see myself picking this up. Then again, I would probably buy an empty cardboard box with the words "Metal Gear Solid" written on it.

LOL. I feel the same way. Darn Hideo Kojima! He's been draining my wallet for the past 10 yrs.
I bought the PS2 primarily for MGS2, bought PSP for the metal gear games, and bought my PS3 more than
a year ago for MGS4 that was still in development. I think i've been injected with the fox dye virus.

Gonna wait until some US retailers list it (come on, amazon), but yeah, I'm in for this set provided Konami doesn't double dip it with something even better aka the Japan collection.

If I didn't own MGS1 complete, MGS2:S mint & complete, and MGS3: S sealed, I'd be all over this.

I wonder if I should sell MGS2:S and MGS3:S now and use the profit to go towards the new collection. :whistle2:k

I never understood these sets. Anyone who would have had an interest already have these games, do they not?
Give the fans something special.
How about MGS 1 - 3, all on one Blu-Ray with enhanced graphics for the PS3.
If anyone has seen the original screen shots of MGS3 running at high rez, it looks amazing. I'm guessing the original engine is more powerful than a standard PS2 anyway, graphicswise.
Again, I'm not looking for a rewrite for PS3, just enhanced PS2 versions (including the first game).
Throw on some Docs in Hi Def and you got yourself a nice package.
I would pay $60 for that.
This? You can walk into a Gamestop today and get the same thing from the used bin, probably $10 cheaper.
Who cares?

[quote name='Zimmy']I never understood these sets. Anyone who would have had an interest already have these games, do they not?
If anyone has seen the original screen shots of MGS3 running at high rez, it looks amazing. I'm guessing the original engine is more powerful than a standard PS2 anyway, graphicswise.
Again, I'm not looking for a rewrite for PS3, just enhanced PS2 versions (including the first game).
Throw on some Docs in Hi Def and you got yourself a nice package.
I would pay $60 for that.
This? You can walk into a Gamestop today and get the same thing from the used bin, probably $10 cheaper.
Who cares?[/quote]
Yeah, it's exactly the same, except that MGS is for a system that's been dead for years, and the Substance and Subsistence versions of MGS2 & 3 are roughly the same price seperately, even used, as this bundle.

Exactly the same. Totally.

Now now. No need to have an attitude, guys.

But, yeah, there should some kind of extra incentive for fans and new players alike. This is an awesome deal compared to trying to find and buy Substance and Subsistence, but for those of us that already own those games (me!), an extra DVD documentary or something wouldn't hurt.

Are we sure Subsistence is the original two-disc Subsistence and Persistence package? I don't see why they couldn't drop the Persistence disc since it was the two retro Metal Gear games and cut scenes and videos and mini-games besides pissing off fans. And I take it MGS is still a two-disc game? I don't know if I'll play that one since I have only completely played the GameCube Twin Snakes version. The PSX had some crude graphic back in the day...

[quote name='Zimmy']I never understood these sets. Anyone who would have had an interest already have these games, do they not?[/quote]
Well, I'm probably an outlier but I've never played MGS and it looks like a great series. I'll probably be picking this up because this set will be brand new, unlike getting the games from the used bin, and it's a convienent way to own 3 (or more if it include MG 1 & 2) MG games.

[quote name='Zimmy']I never understood these sets. Anyone who would have had an interest already have these games, do they not?
Who cares?[/QUOTE]

Umm.... If you actually read this thread, you'd see a lot of people missing part 1 or another. So How is it $10 cheaper when MGS2:S is already $25 used at gamestop. Also MGS3:S is $25 too by the way. Here you get all 3 MGS for $30, I don't see how it's not a good deal.

[quote name='Slayzz']Umm.... If you actually read this thread, you'd see a lot of people missing part 1 or another. So How is it $10 cheaper when MGS2:S is already $25 used at gamestop. Also MGS3:S is $25 too by the way. Here you get all 3 MGS for $30, I don't see how it's not a good deal.[/quote]

Can't agree more :D

Hmm...I have sealed MGS3: Subsistence. I may sell it and use the money on this set since I still have not played any MGS games yet. Yeah, blasphemy, I know.

The original box art for these games is much better. I'll stick with the versions I already own, thanks.

[quote name='Zimmy']
?[/QUOTE]

technically impossible, the PS3 plays PS2 games as they are using hardware from the PS2. It does not do true emulation, can not render natively in a higher res etc...

Until sony makes a fully functional PS2 emulator, something like that would never happen unfortunately

[quote name='Rozz']The original box art for these games is much better. I'll stick with the versions I already own, thanks.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. These look so much better.

It's worth noting that the Japanese 20th anniversary collection doesn't include the integral/substance/subsistence versions of those games. I'd say that featuring the best versions of 2 and 3 trumps the bonus DVD that the JP version came with (and the mediocre MGS:pO). Now it'd be really great if they'd translate MGS1 Integral just so everyone can realize the joy (excruciating pain) of playing MGS1 entirely in first person.

As far as Play-asia "overcharging" for US releases, you do realize that they're located in Hong Kong right? "Domestic" for them is Asia/Japan, not the United States.

How about MGS 1 - 3, all on one Blu-Ray with enhanced graphics for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Because Konami wants to make money. This is easy, as they simply need to repress discs for completed code.

This isn't any different than some of the other PS2 3-packs we've seen this gen (Resident Evil, Hitman, etc.), and the PSX had the same thing late in its lifespan (I still have a 3-pack of Bond games, I think, and also one with Legacy of Kain, Soul Reaver, and Fighting Force)...both times the 3-packs were $30 MSRP.

This is fine, IMO. Better Konami allocate resources to MGS4 instead of recoding these titles.

I'm definitely getting this, I already have all MG games that have been released in the states...maybe I love MG and MGS too much?

bread's done
Back