Metal Gear Solid Essentials coming March 18th - $29.99

Remind me not to pre order anything from play-asia again. Freaking asian thing doesn't allow to cancel order unless you contact customer service.

The question is, where is the better place to pre-order?

Does anyone know if Gamestop or Amazon is better than the other (when it comes to shipping time, not cancelling preorders, etc)?

[quote name='Manlove Blast']The question is, where is the better place to pre-order?

Does anyone know if Gamestop or Amazon is better than the other (when it comes to shipping time, not cancelling preorders, etc)?[/quote]

Amazon, Amazon, and Amazon.

[quote name='62t']the original has better musci and voice acting. I would play that over the gameucbe remake.[/QUOTE]

Plus it featured 100% less moronic Matrix rip off cut scenes.

Also, Twin Snakes was pretty much busted thanks to the MGS2 controls. They never readjusted the levels due to the new first person perspective, and it made the entire game Metal Gear: Childrens' Difficulty Level.

just preordered this from amazon. only 6 days left of trial amazon prime, so making the most of it.

personally i'm a huge MGS fan, love the 1st one on the PS and liked each one after a little less. twin snakes imo was a disappointment, i did not like how they remade it.

anyways, $30 for the 3, can't go wrong. perfect for the collection before MGS4 comes out.

thanks OP for the heads up.

[quote name='Manlove Blast']The question is, where is the better place to pre-order?

Does anyone know if Gamestop or Amazon is better than the other (when it comes to shipping time, not cancelling preorders, etc)?[/quote]

Well I'd imagine if you buy it in store, you'll get it faster at Gamestop simply because you don't need to wait for shipping time. You will pay tax which is not at Amazon.

If you're asking about Gamestop.com vs Amazon.com, there's really no reason to go with Gamestop.com. They'll charge you tax, their cheapest shipping option for like 99 cents is media mail which is slow as hell (at least the last time I used it).

Compare that to Amazon.com with no tax and free shipping that usually is at least USPS first class mail or UPS.

I'll be getting this, though I can say it sucks to be those who have the 40GB PS3 ... if you don't have a PS2 you're not going to be enjoying this pack.

[quote name='Raymond']Remind me not to pre order anything from play-asia again. Freaking asian thing doesn't allow to cancel order unless you contact customer service.[/QUOTE]
Then tell me how I canceled my order with ease. I didn't have to contact customer service...there should be a cancel option when you login to your account.

Thank god for Amazon, stupid shady bastards at playasia trying to charge above MSRP.

since I don't own any of the discs anymore, I might try it.

now is the MGS1 the GC version or the PS1 Version?

[quote name='Zoglog']Thank god for Amazon, stupid shady bastards at playasia trying to charge above MSRP.

since I don't own any of the discs anymore, I might try it.

now is the MGS1 the GC version or the PS1 Version?[/quote]... They're charging five bucks over MSRP because they're -in Asia-. Shipping the games to their warehouses costs money. They ship from overseas, not from the US.

Would there be any problems playing this on my 60Gb PS3?
Gave my PS2 away so now plaing all my games on my PS3.

[quote name='DrNo888']Would there be any problems playing this on my 60Gb PS3?
Gave my PS2 away so now plaing all my games on my PS3.[/quote]

Barring some strange freak occurance it should play fine, just like almost every other game on the 60GB (yay emotion engine chip).

To check though you can check on the official PS website, I'm betting they are just re-pressing the same master discs they already released and are not changing any code.

So for MGS1 (PS1), MGS2 & MGS3 (PS2) you should have no issues.

[quote name='Kitsune Sniper']... They're charging five bucks over MSRP because they're -in Asia-. Shipping the games to their warehouses costs money. They ship from overseas, not from the US.[/QUOTE]

That should be reflected in the shipping and handling price then. It's not an import when you sell it to the US.

[quote name='Zoglog']That should be reflected in the shipping and handling price then. It's not an import when you sell it to the US.[/QUOTE]
Maybe it is because they sell it to other countries beside US. Even with the extra $5 it might be the cheapest option for some people like CheapyD.

[quote name='62t']Maybe it is because they sell it to other countries beside US. Even with the extra $5 it might be the cheapest option for some people like CheapyD.[/QUOTE]

True, plus you get free shipping on your Play-Asia orders if you live in Japan. I think you do, anyway.

[quote name='62t']Maybe it is because they sell it to other countries beside US. Even with the extra $5 it might be the cheapest option for some people like CheapyD.[/quote]

Huh? There are countries other than the US? Interesting!

[quote name='y2kenjination']Then tell me how I canceled my order with ease. I didn't have to contact customer service...there should be a cancel option when you login to your account.[/quote]

I didn't have the luxury of that cancel button and also had to contact Play-Asia. Hopefully they respond soon.

[quote name='TheMaidenOfSorrow']I love amazon. $10 cheaper + no tax + free ship = :applause::applause:[/quote]
It's $29.99 on Amazon no? So by $10 chaper, you mean minus shipping and tax right? I'm tempted to pick this up too, since i don't have any MGSs except the PS1 one (finished that one and i loved it, but it was a long long time ago).
i thought it's $20 on Amazon or something :lol:

I was wondering when the pre-order would make its way to Amazon (screw gamestop and them charging you on your pre-order).

Pre-ordered a copy, though. At this price it's a steal for what you're getting.

I'm going to have to take back Metal Gear Solid 3 Snakeater to Best Buy and wait for this. I wanted the Subsistance version and now I'll have the other 2 to play through again as well.

[quote name='Zoglog']That should be reflected in the shipping and handling price then. It's not an import when you sell it to the US.[/quote]It's not technically an import, but you've had it shipped to Hong Kong and back for no reason if you buy a US game from Play-Asia.

[quote name='seanmcc']It's not technically an import, but you've had it shipped to Hong Kong and back for no reason if you buy a US game from Play-Asia.[/quote]

Doesn't PlayAsia also have a warehouse in California? Or am I thinking of a different place?

NCSX has their warehouse in New York, I don't think Play-asia does. All the addresses I've ever seen on their site (when I had to return something) were in Hong Kong.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Doesn't PlayAsia also have a warehouse in California? Or am I thinking of a different place?[/QUOTE]
you are thinking of yesasia

I was wondering when the pre-order would make its way to Amazon (screw gamestop and them charging you on your pre-order).

Well, GameStop doesn't charge you anything for online pre-orders, only instore ones. But as has been pointed out, Amazon doesn't charge for shipping and tax, so they win, anyway.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Well, GameStop doesn't charge you anything for online pre-orders, only instore ones. But as has been pointed out, Amazon doesn't charge for shipping and tax, so they win, anyway.[/quote]
I could've sworn Gamestop charged me for a pre-order before the game actually shipped, but I guess you're right..

Maybe I'm thinking of some other online retailer.

[quote name='y2kenjination']Then tell me how I canceled my order with ease. I didn't have to contact customer service...there should be a cancel option when you login to your account.[/QUOTE]

I don't have the cancel button, maybe because I paid with PayPal, and they charged my immediately. I had contacted their customer service during the weekend, and monday, still no reply. Going to wait for a bit, if they still don't cancel my order and give me refund, I'm going through PayPal dispute center. What a pain in the ass to cancel a order. Will not do business with them again.

Preordered from Amazon in case it becomes rare. I can always return if it is a piece of crap package. Can't wait to get some quality pics of it.

hope it has a little more than just the 3 games.

(Though we're just guessing at present, would it be possible that Konami may bring back Subsistence's Online servers for a time, while including the Persistence disc in this package?)

Ordered one for myself off Amazon since I've never played the series and will be getting MGS4 for my PS3. Not sure if anyone posted this -

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/us-metal-gear-c.html

U.S. Metal Gear Collection: Fewer Games, But Cheaper

By Chris Kohler February 05, 2008 | 1:30:01 PMCategories: Console Games

Konami announced today that Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection, a compilation package with three games from the groundbreaking stealth series, will be released in the U.S.

Now, don't get your hopes up just yet, as the collection won't be anywhere near as awesome as the eight-disc Japanese box set at right. Ours will only contain the first three games in the series, and skip the bonus discs, the Metal Gear Saga documentary, and the PSP game.
On the plus side, it will retail for a mere $30.

Even so, it's especially disappointing that Metal Gear Solid 3's bonus disc, which included remastered versions of the original 8-bit Metal Gear games, likely won't be in the box.

Now, Konami's American branch doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to limited-edition game releases. They put out a minuscule number of copies of the three-disc version of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence and priced it so low that supply and demand were way out of whack. What this led to were widespread stories of GameStop employees hoarding copies and putting them on eBay.

With a $30 price point for this collection, a similar situation is possible, so let's hope they put enough copies into the channel to satisfy everyone who's going to want one, and not make it an instant collector's item.

[quote name='SimplyBlue']Ordered one for myself off Amazon since I've never played the series and will be getting MGS4 for my PS3. Not sure if anyone posted this -

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/02/us-metal-gear-c.html[/QUOTE]

no bonus disk for mgs3 with the msx games? :( i really wanted to play those 2 title. i already have mgs 1 on ps and mgs 2 for ps2 and then i got mgs 2 Subsistence for xbox so i'm only missing mgs3. i might grab this

I don't see how they could call it subsistence without the extra disc folks, why not leave it Snake Eater?

I think it will have disc 2, but I'm keeping my SE until I get this set.

[quote name='willardhaven']I don't see how they could call it subsistence without the extra disc folks, why not leave it Snake Eater?

I think it will have disc 2, but I'm keeping my SE until I get this set.[/QUOTE]

Because its the "subsistence version" which means it is SE just w/ the new camera

No disc 2 unless Konami changes up

This will be in stores, right? I hate ordering things online, so I hope I can pick it up at Best Buy or somewhere where I can use a coupon.

Someone posted this link which has the official Konami press release quoted, and it's got me a little worried about this collection now.

http://kotaku.com/352799/metal-gear-solid-the-essential-collection-confirmed

Which says that it includes the normal MGS, MGS 2 directors cut which I assume is Substance, And MGS3. Has no mention of it coming with the second disk, nor of it even being the Subsistence version. I mean if this is acurate/true and MGS3 is not even Subsistence then this collection is pretty lame (IMO). Unless you only buying it for MGS1 and Substance (which I could use).

Anyone know whether this will be a limited release, or if it will be readily available? Want to gauge whether or not I need to get this before the eBay hawks do.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']Anyone know whether this will be a limited release, or if it will be readily available? Want to gauge whether or not I need to get this before the eBay hawks do.[/quote]
It's so cheap, I may get two just in case.

Let's be fair here, we all saw this coming. With the shut-down of MGO, the second disc of Subsistence was NEVER going to be in this package. For this quick cash grab, it was easier for them to simply omit the entire disc rather than revamp it and remove the MGO portion.

Remember, folks, this is just an easy way for Konami to make money while exerting zero effort.

How is MGS 2: Sons of Liberty related to MGS 2: Substance? Is the latter a superset of the former? I wonder if I still need to get MGS 2: SoL after getting the Essentials Collection.

[quote name='eau']How is MGS 2: Sons of Liberty related to MGS 2: Substance? Is the latter a superset of the former? I wonder if I still need to get MGS 2: SoL after getting the Essentials Collection.[/QUOTE]

SoL (funny abbreviation, considering, we're getting fucked on some content in this compilation) is actually "inferior" and slightly different than Substance.

Stolen from wikipedia (IT NEVER LIES, I TELL YOU!!!):

"The game contains the main Sons of Liberty game with some subtle alterations (including a new infrared effects for the thermal goggles and a new set of dog tags), as well as the inclusion of Boss Survival and Casting Theater modes.

The main addition of Substance is the inclusion of nearly 500 stand-alone missions (similar to those from Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions) with 300 missions set in a VR environment (including a set of missions played for a first person view) and 200 "Alternative Missions" (including bomb disposal missions) that take places in areas from the main game."

I hope that answers your question.

[quote name='pcktlnt']So, the Substance in this Essential will be the same as the Substance that is currently out?[/QUOTE]

Probably.

In putting out this compilation, it looks like Konami is exerting ZERO effort . It's probably just old ass code burned as-is back on to discs.

From reading the IGN article, I can't tell if MGS: Integral (the BEST version of MGS 1 for PS1) is included in the package.

So far, I am already disappointed with no second or third disc (Existence) on Subsistence, unless, Konami dumps the bonus content on to the first disc (minus online of course). It won't happen though because that takes a smidgeon of effort. :roll:

The only shining light in this package is MGS2: Substance. At this point, everything else looks like a bust. A lot of people are going to eat this up like a fresh bowl of Lucky of Charms sprinkled heavily with "fairy dust," but I think we're getting screwed by Konami.

bread's done
Back