Metal Gear Solid Essentials coming March 18th - $29.99

Thanks for the info, opportunity. I've been looking for Substance, so this collection seems like the best opportunity without paying the ebay price :)

I almost bougth MGS2:SoL since I couldn't find Substance. It sounds like I don't have to even bother with it now.

[quote name='eau']Thanks for the info, opportunity. I've been looking for Substance, so this collection seems like the best opportunity without paying the ebay price :)

I almost bougth MGS2:SoL since I couldn't find Substance. It sounds like I don't have to even bother with it now.[/QUOTE]

Substance is the best thing in the package.

I'm probably going to sell mine and get this package, but I'm going to have to hold on to MGS + VR Missions and Subsistence because it looks like we are getting shitty versions of both of those.

I might be missing something but aside from the slick packaging, I'm not seeing what's the big deal about the 20th anniversary box set Japan got. It came with the original MGS2 (Sons of Liberty) and the original MGS3 (Snake Eater).

Meh, I think I prefer the US box set with Substance and Subsistence. I hear the camera is much improved in Subsistence so I wouldn't want to go back to Snake Eater. Maybe that's just me. The packaging on the 20th Anniv. Box Set is so sexy though; shame we don't get it here.

I wonder if this package will drop the price of subsitance on EBay. I'd be willing to buy this and a copy of subsistance just for the persistance disk (MG1 and MG2 are what I really want to play).

[quote name='opportunity777']SoL (funny abbreviation, considering, we're getting fucked on some content in this compilation) is actually "inferior" and slightly different than Substance.

Stolen from wikipedia (IT NEVER LIES, I TELL YOU!!!):

"The game contains the main Sons of Liberty game with some subtle alterations (including a new infrared effects for the thermal goggles and a new set of dog tags), as well as the inclusion of Boss Survival and Casting Theater modes.

The main addition of Substance is the inclusion of nearly 500 stand-alone missions (similar to those from Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions) with 300 missions set in a VR environment (including a set of missions played for a first person view) and 200 "Alternative Missions" (including bomb disposal missions) that take places in areas from the main game."

I hope that answers your question.

Probably.

In putting out this compilation, it looks like Konami is exerting ZERO effort . It's probably just old ass code burned as-is back on to discs.

From reading the IGN article, I can't tell if MGS: Integral (the BEST version of MGS 1 for PS1) is included in the package.

So far, I am already disappointed with no second or third disc (Existence) on Subsistence, unless, Konami dumps the bonus content on to the first disc (minus online of course). It won't happen though because that takes a smidgeon of effort. :roll:

The only shining light in this package is MGS2: Substance. At this point, everything else looks like a bust. A lot of people are going to eat this up like a fresh bowl of Lucky of Charms sprinkled heavily with "fairy dust," but I think we're getting screwed by Konami.[/quote]

Doesn't it also include the ability to play as Snake?

There were somehow 4 sealed copies of MGS2: Substance selling on eBay recently. Looks like collectors are trying to squeeze the value out of their copies before the reprint kills it.

I might throw up my mint, complete copies of Substance + Subsistence and buy this set and then save a lil bit afterwards.

I should be able to sell MGS2 S for about $35 and a new MGS3 S for $45ish... got to sell while it's hot

Was MGS3 subsistence really that hard to find when it was released? I think I waited a while on it and still found it during a TRU b2g1 sale about a year ago.

The only one I waited too long on was MGS2 substance, so this will be perfect for me. But I guess I won't sell my subsistence anymore if this doesn't have the 2nd disc.

[quote name='scottman']Was MGS3 subsistence really that hard to find when it was released? I think I waited a while on it and still found it during a TRU b2g1 sale about a year ago.

The only one I waited too long on was MGS2 substance, so this will be perfect for me. But I guess I won't sell my subsistence anymore if this doesn't have the 2nd disc.[/quote]

No the normal version was and probably still is easy to get. The LE version (red box) on the other hand was extremely hard to get. Most stores couldn't even cover the pre orders they had. It ended up being first come first serve with pre orders. Now that is bad lol.

[quote name='IronMonkey008']No the normal version was and probably still is easy to get. The LE version (red box) on the other hand was extremely hard to get. Most stores couldn't even cover the pre orders they had. It ended up being first come first serve with pre orders. Now that is bad lol.[/QUOTE]

its one of those lame deals where you can't find MGS3:S new/sealed easily, yet magically gamestop has unlimted "used" copies for rape prices.

I pre-ordered this collection from Amazon. I've never played any of these and $30 is definitely the right price. It is a bummer the original NES games aren't included though.

Plan on picking this up as the only game In the box I've ever played is MGS1 and that's been since it was new. I've been planing on playing the 1st one again anyway.

Eragh!

It contains "Directors Cut of Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence". Bull crap! They call it "Subsistence" since they're giving us the new camera system version but they're NOT giving us Disc 2 w/ all the multiplayer! Shenanigans! "Director's Cut" doesn't mean "Good" when you're removing 1/2 the game!

I bought MGS3:S a single day before the multiplayer servers were killed. I wish somebody would kick Konami's ass and tell them to leave the servers up for more than just a year!

[quote name='emperordahc']
I bought MGS3:S a single day before the multiplayer servers were killed.[/quote]

A copy came into my possession about a week before it happened. I never got to enjoy MGO either.

I was initially thinking of ditching my MGS3: S, but I'm not now that I know the collection isn't really complete (I'm also ordering the collection even though I have MGS1, MGS: TSS, MGS2: S, MGS3: S, all PS1/2.

[quote name='dfo']I pre-ordered this collection from Amazon. I've never played any of these and $30 is definitely the right price. It is a bummer the original NES games aren't included though.[/quote]

you're not missing much on the original NES versions... Probably the first MG for NES is worthy enough to be replayed, the sequel sucked. I picked up the franchise again when MG came out for PS1, which is totally awesome at the time. Vulcan Raven, Sniper Wolf, Revolver Ocelot... cool names. As a matter of fact, it was so cool that McFarlane made pretty good looking action figures of them (i still have the whole set). After that, i dropped the series again (never got a PS2). Hmmm, looks like i'll be back for some Snake action in MGS4, PS3 style.

don't know if you guys missed this, included with the essentials collection.....

MSX 2 versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - The original games that were the genesis of the Metal Gear series are brought to the PlayStation 2. These games continue the storyline which started in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. This is also the first time that these games have been released in North America.

[quote name='urge26']don't know if you guys missed this, included with the essentials collection.....

MSX 2 versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - The original games that were the genesis of the Metal Gear series are brought to the PlayStation 2. These games continue the storyline which started in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. This is also the first time that these games have been released in North America.[/QUOTE]

Those games were on the original release of MGS3: Subsistence, which was released, what, two years ago about?

There is still conflicting info on whether the first two msx games are included. The gamestop listing said they were, but the text looks like it was copied from the original substance listing. I think someone on the Kojima Productions podcast said they weren't included.

[quote name='Serpentor']you're not missing much on the original NES versions... Probably the first MG for NES is worthy enough to be replayed, the sequel sucked. [/quote]
Keep in mind that what's included in the original MGS3: Subsistance set is NOT the NES versions of the games. They are the MSX versions where MG2 is completely different from the NES "Metal Gear: Solid Snake" (which was put out by Ultra). Since I haven't played MG2 I am REALLY hoping that this set contains the second disk (also not sure if there's a difference between the NES and MSX versions of the original MG).

This looks like a great way to catch up on the series before MGS4 comes out.. Makes me happy that I chose a BC PS3 since my PS2 has seen better days.

[quote name='emperordahc']Eragh!

It contains "Directors Cut of Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence". Bull crap! They call it "Subsistence" since they're giving us the new camera system version but they're NOT giving us Disc 2 w/ all the multiplayer! Shenanigans! "Director's Cut" doesn't mean "Good" when you're removing 1/2 the game!

I bought MGS3:S a single day before the multiplayer servers were killed. I wish somebody would kick Konami's ass and tell them to leave the servers up for more than just a year![/quote]
There's no point to including the multiplayer version, since they've shut down the servers you'd need to play it on.

[quote name='IronMonkey008']No the normal version was and probably still is easy to get. The LE version (red box) on the other hand was extremely hard to get. Most stores couldn't even cover the pre orders they had. It ended up being first come first serve with pre orders. Now that is bad lol.[/quote]

Indeed. GS.com never sent me my LE copy and then put it on backorder (was never coming), even though I had it pre-ordered for probably about five or six months. The worst part was that they didn't even offer me any compensation or any explanation as to how someone who had pre-ordered so long was not able to get a copy.

[quote name='deathscythehe']There's no point to including the multiplayer version, since they've shut down the servers you'd need to play it on.[/quote]

I was just going to ask this question. Recently, someone in the PS2 forum was upset their Twisted Metal Black didn’t come with the online disc. The disc is worthless if the servers for playing the online game are dead.

I don't think anyone cares about the lack of the multi-player. They want the other extras that are on that disc, including the MSX versions of MG and MG2: SS.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I don't think anyone cares about the lack of the multi-player. They want the other extras that are on that disc, including the MSX versions of MG and MG2: SS.[/QUOTE]

they don't seem to understand this obvious point

MG and MG2 on MSX FTW!!! no MG and MG2 MSX = EPIC PHAILURE

[quote name='expane']MG and MG2 on MSX FTW!!! no MG and MG2 MSX = EPIC PHAILURE[/quote]
I can only hope that someone from Konami or Kojima Productions keeps tabs on these discussions because it's VERY apparent that the gaming public wants that second disk for the two MSX games. Let's hope that GameStop's information is correct .... we'll find out in about two weeks.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Indeed. GS.com never sent me my LE copy and then put it on backorder (was never coming), even though I had it pre-ordered for probably about five or six months. The worst part was that they didn't even offer me any compensation or any explanation as to how someone who had pre-ordered so long was not able to get a copy.[/quote]

I ordered my LE copy from a local GS. They didn't get it on the release date, but it eventually came a few days later.

Well I already have MGS 1 and 2, the only reason I ordered this pack is because subsistence used was $25 and I figured for $30 why not get substance w/ all those vr missions. I will def cancel my order and just get subsistence used if this turns out to be the case. Hopefully the price will drop on it w/ the 3 pack coming out.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I can only hope that someone from Konami or Kojima Productions keeps tabs on these discussions because it's VERY apparent that the gaming public wants that second disk for the two MSX games. Let's hope that GameStop's information is correct .... we'll find out in about two weeks.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop's info? Its DIRECTLY FROM KONAMI they have published what is in the box.... NO SECOND DISK!

so what is the deal? is metal gear solid on ps1 discs or a ps2 disc? does MSG3 have the second disk or not? this is so F'ing confusing!!!!!

[quote name='sparklecopy']so what is the deal? is metal gear solid on ps1 discs or a ps2 disc? does MSG3 have the second disk or not? this is so F'ing confusing!!!!![/quote]

http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-individual/story/Metal_Gear_Solid_NOT_a_PS2_Port/

This is what the article says if you don't want to click the link above:

Yesterday we ran a story based on information we had received from Konami PR that the version of Metal Gear Solid being included in The Essential Collection would in fact be a port to the PS2, making it easy for players to save their game to PS2 memory cards and eliminating disc swapping. Shortly afterwards, conflicting information was brought up from other sources at Konami, who had previously stated that The Essential Collection would be 4 discs, implying that Metal Gear Solid would be on 2 discs. Did this mean that MGS would still be a PS2 port, but pressed onto CDs instead of a DVD? We asked Konami PR for a clarification yesterday, and we just got our answer. Here's the trimmed down word straight from the email we received:

"So it looks like there was a miscommunication about the format for the games. I recieved this note from Konami's Michael Shelling - '...to be clear, MGS1 is not a port; it’s the original game on 2 CD’s not a DVD.' The original Metal Gear Solid will be appearing on PS1 discs. What this means for saving the game, etc, I am not sure.

My apology for the confusion."

So there you have it. MGS will not be on PS2 discs, meaning you'll probably need a PS1 memory card to save the game and will definitely be swapping discs. Our apologies to all that read the first story we posted. Unfortunately communication breakdowns happen from time to time, even between PR and the developers, hence the confusion. Be sure to keep an eye on Game Almighty, as we'll post any new information as we receive it.

So this would mean 2 CDs for MGS1, 1 DVD for MGS2, and 1 DVD for MGS3. Unless they somehow found enough room to fit the Disc 2 extras onto the DVD, it doesn't look like they will come with it. It sounds right, but remember, this is not officially from a Konami press statement.

Aeaas

So some people are upset the MSX MG1 and MG2 are not included in this? I agree it would've been nice but this collection is targeted to people who've never really played MGS before and want to get caught up with the first 3 MG SOLID games before MGS4 comes out. It's no coincidence this set is coming out only a few months before MGS4. For most of these people, I really doubt they care to play the old 2D MG games. This set really isn't for the hardcore Metal Gear fans.

Listen to the latest Kojima Productions Report podcast, guys - MGS1 is being pressed onto 2 CD's like the original PS1 version.

I already have mgs1, sons of liberty, and subsistence so I don't think I will be buying this one. If they had the packaging like they do in Japan I probably would have bought this. Or if they had the vr missions for mgs1. I wan't substance but I already have everything else this pack has to offer. Is substance really worth 30 bucks when I bought sons of libery for 3.99?

Even though I can get the game individually it's still a good collection to pick up, plus I bet if you keep a few sealed copies of this you will be able to resell them in a couple of years, it's going to be like a collectors item.

Basically this is just a slopjob port. Quite literally just changing disc and box art, then leaving out a disc with abandoned multiplayer. If I decide to buy it, it stays in the wrapper. I've got the other releases. I just recently spent a tad too much for a used copy of Substance.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Basically this is just a slopjob port. Quite literally just changing disc and box art, then leaving out a disc with abandoned multiplayer. If I decide to buy it, it stays in the wrapper. I've got the other releases. I just recently spent a tad too much for a used copy of Substance.[/quote]

Somebody bought my copy of substance on E-Bay for $41 the day before the announcement...I got it back a week later(Still in MINT condition) with the excuse it won't play.

The new for this keeps getting worse. I don't think Konami understands many of us would be willing to pay a little bit more money for a more complete MGS / MG Collection.

The 2 CD idea is stupid. The high probability of no MGS1 VR Missions sucks. No MG MSX included on the Subsistence DVD would be criminal.

There's no way to sugarcoat it. This set is looking like a shitty lazy slap together of old MGS games. Konami has wasted a huge opportunity to deliver the goods.

I would be willing to pay $40 or $50 if MGS1 moved to DVD, included the VR Missions and the original MG games (from the second Subsistence disc) were put on the Subsistence DVD. I think most MGS fans would be willing to fork over the extra few dollars for these minor additions.

[quote name='expane']Gamestop's info? Its DIRECTLY FROM KONAMI they have published what is in the box.... NO SECOND DISK![/quote]

I think what the person was referring to is that GameStop's page for the game is listing Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake as both appearing in this collection:
"MSX 2 versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake - The original games that were the genesis of the Metal Gear series are brought to the PlayStation 2. These games continue the storyline which started in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. This is also the first time that these games have been released in North America."
I think those two games (there seems to be some confusion as to whether they will be there or not) will be the deciding factor for me on if I buy this or not. I've never played a single game in the series, and a friend of mine is really egging me on to get into it (especially with Metal Gear Solid 4 coming soon and me being the only person of everyone I know who actually owns a PlayStation 3). If this has all 5 original games at $30 it would be a great entry for me.

Also, since I'm new to the series, I've noticed something pretty obvious about it:
1998: Metal Gear Solid
1999: Metal Gear Solid: Integral
=============================
2001: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
2002: Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance
2004: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
2006: Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
2008: Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

I know they pretty much maxed out the disc with 4, but what are the chances they'll find some way to release an enhanced version roughly a year later?

What is the probability that MGS Essentials will eventually drop in price sometime after it is released?? Or will it just become scarce like Devil May Cry 5th Anniversary and only go up in value?

Thanks

[quote name='bruceg']What is the probability that MGS Essentials will eventually drop in price sometime after it is released?? Or will it just become scarce like Devil May Cry 5th Anniversary and only go up in value?

Thanks[/quote]

Konami's track record is they rarely print enough copies of a game. This happened with MGS3:Subsistence which became hard to find new only a year after it came out. Stores had plenty of copies of MGS3:Snake Eater but I saw no point in buying this considering Subsistence added a much better camera. You can take your chances waiting for a sale (I highly doubt Konami will ever do a price drop on this). But if you need all 3 games, the $30 price is a very good deal.

Also, I know a lot of people are complaining about the lack of bonus content but this set is not made for the big Metal Gear fans. It's targeted at people who have never played MGS before and will be tempted to pick this up with the cheap price. Ideally they should release a Collector's edition for $50-$60 which includes everything.

I've never played MGS before and I'd rather have the collection for $30 rather than paying extra to get the bonus content like MG1 and MG2, that online component, which I'd prolly never even play.

MGO isn't even Online, so even if you wanted to, YOU CAN'T PLAY IT. :/
I consider it the best online game ever. :)
Also, MG1 and MG2 aren't just "bonus content". Those are real games that people enjoy and they are still part of the Metal Gear universe.

I was just saying MG1 and MG2 were bonus content to Subsistence with the revised MGS3 being the main content. I know they are full standalone games. But considering this set is targeted to people who are new to MGS, I really doubt most of them are eager to play the old 2D games or those virtual missions to MGS1.

Like I said, they should just release a Collector's Edition for more money for the big Metal Gear fans who want all the content.

bread's done
Back