Metal Gear Solid Essentials coming March 18th - $29.99

this will be retailed at $29.99. my bro called me today to let me know he was at one of his distributors. i'll wait til then :)

As someone who's never played MGS (but owns MGS3, go figure), I'm really looking forward to this. And if the price is correct ($29.99?), I'll might just pick up two copies.

I really doubt this pack includes the Persistance disk. The fact that they say Subsistance probably means "the version of MGS3 with the better camera", not what you'd get from buying the subsistance retail package. Regardless, I don't have substance on the PS2 and I don't have MGS on the PS1 (but I do have it for the PC, strangly enough), so I'm in if Amazon ever lists it.

[quote name='imacgod']Now now. No need to have an attitude, guys.

But, yeah, there should some kind of extra incentive for fans and new players alike. This is an awesome deal compared to trying to find and buy Substance and Subsistence, but for those of us that already own those games (me!), an extra DVD documentary or something wouldn't hurt.

Are we sure Subsistence is the original two-disc Subsistence and Persistence package? I don't see why they couldn't drop the Persistence disc since it was the two retro Metal Gear games and cut scenes and videos and mini-games besides pissing off fans. And I take it MGS is still a two-disc game? I don't know if I'll play that one since I have only completely played the GameCube Twin Snakes version. The PSX had some crude graphic back in the day...[/quote]The main reason why many people bought Subsistence (apart from the fix camera) WAS Metal Gear and MG2: Solid Snake. I can't see why people wouldn't want to play those games, unless they were graphics nutcases who won't touch anything with blocky pixel graphics.

I dunno what's going to happen with Metal Gear Online, which was in Subsistence. That service was shut down a few months ago.

And why the hell couldn't they just port MGS1:Integral for us?! I don't care about Twin Snakes, I want the version with the bonus missions and other stuff!

It is likely the MGS 1 will be on one disk, given that the PS2 disks have much higher capacity than the PS1 disks MGS 1 was originally released on, so why pay for two disks when you can fit it onto one.

MGS 2 Substance was only a 1 disk release, so its pretty likely it will be one disk as well in this new version

MGS 3 Subsistence had two disks...Disk 1 was entitled Subsistence and Disk 2 was entitled Persistence, which contained the online MGS (which has now be deactivated), additional Snake vs. Monkey missions, and ports of the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake from I believe the NES days.

Given that the online mode has been deactivated, it is unlikely they will included it on this new version. The bigger question is will they included the NES ports or not. It is possible they may not given that they weren't on the "subsistence" disk originally.

I guess we'll have to wait for the official word from Konami USA to find out.

[quote name='K_G']It is likely the MGS 1 will be on one disk, given that the PS2 disks have much higher capacity than the PS1 disks MGS 1 was originally released on, so why pay for two disks when you can fit it onto one.

MGS 2 Substance was only a 1 disk release, so its pretty likely it will be one disk as well in this new version

MGS 3 Subsistence had two disks...Disk 1 was entitled Subsistence and Disk 2 was entitled Persistence, which contained the online MGS (which has now be deactivated), additional Snake vs. Monkey missions, and ports of the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake from I believe the NES days.

Given that the online mode has been deactivated, it is unlikely they will included it on this new version. The bigger question is will they included the NES ports or not. It is possible they may not given that they weren't on the "subsistence" disk originally.

I guess we'll have to wait for the official word from Konami USA to find out.[/quote]

If you look on the cover for this bundle for MGS1 it says PlayStation, not PlayStation 2, so I am sure it is the original version. It isn't worthwhile for Konami to recode MGS1 to run on the PS2 for this budget price.

As for the MSX ports of Metal Gear 1 & 2, I am sure they are not included as well since it isn't mentioned on the screen caps.

One of the purposes of this package is to get new players caught up on the MGS storyline before playing MGS4 (since this game resolves storylines in MGS 1-3 and Portable Ops). Metal Gear 1 & 2 are treated as a footnote in the MGS saga.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']If you look on the cover for this bundle for MGS1 it says PlayStation, not PlayStation 2, so I am sure it is the original version. It isn't worthwhile for Konami to recode MGS1 to run on the PS2 for this budget price.

As for the MSX ports of Metal Gear 1 & 2, I am sure they are not included as well since it isn't mentioned on the screen caps.

One of the purposes of this package is to get new players caught up on the MGS storyline before playing MGS4 (since this game resolves storylines in MGS 1-3 and Portable Ops). Metal Gear 1 & 2 are treated as a footnote in the MGS saga.[/QUOTE]

sadly unless things change, LDolphin is correct, no NES ports and MGS will be a PSOne CD not a PS2 encoded DVD

Its lame since of course what everyone really wants is the option to get a PS2 version or a PS3 BRD w/ everything ever done in MGS all on 1 BRD ... nevAR gonna happen :(

I'm very interested in this. I don't have MGS1 anymore and my MGS 2 SoL disc freezes on the final boss so I never got to beat the game. Plus I been looking for MGS 2 Substence so this is a great deal. It would look nice next to my MGS3: Subsistence LE. The only problem I have with this is that it seems like it's the bare bones version of MGS1, why not the VR missions version ? I dunno that seems kinda lame when the rest are the enhanced versions. Maybe we get lucky and future news reveals it is.

And as one of the other posters mentioned this is a lot better game wise than the JP version (IMO). I rather have the enhanced versions over the normal ones. Though the extras and packaging are realy sweet on the JP one.

[quote name='thingsfallnapart']i would pay 39.99 for this set if the jerkoffs at capcom ported the twin snakes for mgs 1 instead of just being lazy with the ps1 version port.[/quote]
It would have been nice if Konami had made the Twin Snakes part of this bundle, but as you pointed out it would be much more. I'm estimating it would have cost at least $49.99, primarily for the effort to port over the GameCube code.

Anyway, since the MGS creator had little involvement in the development of the re-imagined Twin Snakes game, it is probably more appropriate that the original version is included in this set.

[quote name='62t']the original has better musci and voice acting. I would play that over the gameucbe remake.[/quote]

one of my friends says snake eater was better than the original..
hmm maybe its just a difference of opinions then :/

[quote name='K_G']MGS 3 Subsistence had two disks...Disk 1 was entitled Subsistence and Disk 2 was entitled Persistence, which contained the online MGS (which has now be deactivated), additional Snake vs. Monkey missions, and ports of the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 Solid Snake from I believe the NES days.[/quote]

You forgot the outtakes. :lol:

I just wish it included the original MG and MG2 that came with Subsitance .... I'm not spending another $25 or more just so that I can play those two games.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']I just wish it included the original MG and MG2 that came with Subsitance .... I'm not spending another $25 or more just so that I can play those two games.[/quote]

There's still a chance that it does include the original MG 1+2. They are considered to be a part of Subsistence. And with there being no official announcement/information and these website descriptions being so vague, it is entirely possible that by "Subsistence" they mean both discs of Subsistence, which includes MG 1 and 2. Matter of fact, it is most likely.

the fact is, they need to compile more made in china flashy plastic shit to get me to buy a compilation of games I've already owned and played.

I find it hard that this will attract many sales since Metal gear is such a hardcore game.

[quote name='Zoglog']the fact is, they need to compile more made in china flashy plastic shit to get me to buy a compilation of games I've already owned and played.

I find it hard that this will attract many sales since Metal gear is such a hardcore game.[/QUOTE]
MGS2 is one of the 25 top selling game, and MGS3 is a million seller. Also many people might own the original but not the sub. version. Plus there are people that are new to the series with MGS4 coming soon.

This thing is out for pre-order from gamestop.

Does anyone know how to cancel order in play-asia? There's no cancel order button and it's a pain in the ass.

It's up at Amazon.

I'd like to pre-order, but I think I'll wait until I find out for sure whether or not the second disc of Subsistence is part of the package. The inclusion of the original MSX Metal Gear games is really a deal breaker for me.

Aw hell, who am I kidding? For $30, I'll end up buying the damn thing anyhow, and I'd best get my order in now before it inevitably disappears somewhere down the line.

Thanks for the Amazon heads up, cancelled my order at playasia and got it from there since I have prime, and its about $8-9 cheaper.

I have decided to hold off until I know for sure what versions of each game are being included in this set. If there is no MGS: Integral (basically has VR missions included), then this set is already a bust.

does all the subsistance games of both mgs 2 and mgs 3 are the original echanced story of both games or do i have get mgs 2 / mgs 3 just to follow the story line and this is still a great bundle! thanks

[quote name='kentomaiku']does all the subsistance games of both mgs 2 and mgs 3 are the original echanced story of both games or do i have get mgs 2 / mgs 3 just to follow the story line and this is still a great bundle! thanks[/QUOTE]
nope you dont need the original

I don't have MG2S or MG3S so I'm definitely interested in this compilation.

Question though: It indicates "Director's Cut" of these two games. So does it mean it adds even more features than they had before?

[quote name='kentomaiku']62T so wen i finish mgs 1 i can play those 2 and it follows the story line of mgs?? i assume?[/quote]
Substance and Subsistance are like the "director's cut" of MGS 2 and 3.

Hey guys, I need some help cancelling my pre-order for Play-Asia. I looked at their help section and there is suppose to be a cancel button. I go to my purchase and there is no cancel button, it lets me update the quantity and I updated it to 0. But nothing is going on. Am I doing it right?

just contact customer service...that how I cancelled a previous order...

even though it cost around $8 or $9 more at play asia,since they take paypal I'd rather keep my order there than pay via CC

Man, I wish Konami would issue a press release on this game. I want to know if it's including both Subsistence discs or not - I want my Metal Gear, Solid Snake, and monkey chasing games. :(

Knowing my luck, Konami will just get rid of the second disc. :p I just want to be sure before I get rid of my copies of Substance and Subsistence.

Supposedly this is up on the Gamestop website for now so it looks like it will make it to the states after all.. Let's hope because this will be a great little box set even though im not really interested in the first one unless its the Twin snakes version.

It will most likely be the original MGS.

I'm just geting this for MGS2 Substance since it rare to find new.

I already got the original MGS1 and Twin Snake.

I also got the original MGS3 and Subsistance. Also the limited edition version of MGS3

[quote name='Zimmy']I never understood these sets. Anyone who would have had an interest already have these games, do they not?[/quote]

Negative.

I've been a fan of Metal Gear since 1987, but never bought a Playstation. By the time I got a PS2, Metal Gear Solid had gone out of print.

Without MGS, I couldn't get MGS2 or MGS3. I also thought they had forgotten their roots, and that nobody remembered Metal Gear. I just wanted Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. I wasn't following the Solid series due to missing MGS1, and didn't know that MGS3:S was released with Metal Gear 1 & 2. I'd pay a ton to play Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, but now that's out of print or LE.

This set is exactly for me. It's for METAL GEAR fans, but who are definitely NOT going to buy MGS4 because their prior titles are well out of print!

Thanks for bringing this to my attention OP. Didn't hear anything about it. But i've decided to go through amazon for the free shipping.

bread's done
Back