MGS:Subsistence Thread-- info on LE, bonus discs, reviews etc.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']About 20 sounds right. I'm not entirely sure what the total is, but it's around there.[/QUOTE]

Hm, maybe I'm missing a couple then since I haven't played through the main game all the way (...again). Some of those clips are damn funny, especially the "Snake Eraser" clip.

Just wanting some opinions from those who have finished Metal Gear Solid 3- should I start with MGS3 (prequel) or start with Metal Gear? I have not played through any of the Metal Gear games and was wondering which one to start with. Does anything in MGS3 story spoil the later games in the series? If you were a newbie playing the series from the beginning would you play Metal Gear Solid 3 first or last?

[quote name='Purkeynator']Just wanting some opinions from those who have finished Metal Gear Solid 3- should I start with MGS3 (prequel) or start with Metal Gear? I have not played through any of the Metal Gear games and was wondering which one to start with. Does anything in MGS3 story spoil the later games in the series? If you were a newbie playing the series from the beginning would you play Metal Gear Solid 3 first or last?[/QUOTE]

The game can certainly be played first, it doesn't spoil anything for later games...but, that said, I think it's far more powerful if you've played everything else first, as you can see the origins of everything, etc.

I guess I need to pick up a copy of the regular version now that I'm ebaying my LE. Well at least I can finally play it and not have to worry about leaving it sealed ;)

Finally got around to playing some more-- beat the Fear and the End.

agreed that the fight with the end was a lot of fun. I think I'll play through MGS2 sometime this summer. Gotta find a copy of substance :)

[quote name='Apossum']Finally got around to playing some more-- beat the Fear and the End.

agreed that the fight with the end was a lot of fun. I think I'll play through MGS2 sometime this summer. Gotta find a copy of substance :)[/QUOTE]

the xbox version of substance is bit easy to find AT GR.. I saw 3 yesterday for $6.99...

[quote name='Spoon_si']the xbox version of substance is bit easy to find AT GR.. I saw 3 yesterday for $6.99...[/QUOTE]

I know, I wish I still had an xbox. Maybe I'll find one for super cheap this summer.

One thing though-- no skateboarding in the xbox version!

btw, can anyone make a guess about how many hours I have left in subsistence--
I beat the end and I made it past the part on the mountain where you can get on the turret and shoot down the planes that go by.

[quote name='Apossum']I know, I wish I still had an xbox. Maybe I'll find one for super cheap this summer.

One thing though-- no skateboarding in the xbox version!

btw, can anyone make a guess about how many hours I have left in subsistence--
I beat the end and I made it past the part on the mountain where you can get on the turret and shoot down the planes that go by.[/QUOTE]

Still quite a ways... maybe 5-6 hours. Especially if we're counting cut scenes.

[quote name='Calamityuponthee']Still quite a ways... maybe 5-6 hours. Especially if we're counting cut scenes.[/QUOTE]

And hopefully we are!

I just got MGS2:Substance for PS2 off Ebay for 30$. Nows the good time to buy as theyre generally going for 20-35$ very cheap compared to what they were once going for. So go pick it up before the price spikes again.

Just beat the game. This is actually my first time beating an MGS 3 game. I bought Snake Eater a while ago but never went through it just because the camera system bothered me so much. Subsistence definitely helped me enjoy this game tremendously.

What are the big differences between getting Sons of Liberty or Substance for PS2?

[quote name='asianxcore']Just beat the game. This is actually my first time beating an MGS 3 game. I bought Snake Eater a while ago but never went through it just because the camera system bothered me so much. Subsistence definitely helped me enjoy this game tremendously.

What are the big differences between getting Sons of Liberty or Substance for PS2?[/QUOTE]

Substance basically had a lot of extra crap you wouldn't really care about, and itsn't worth the $10 extra you'd probably pay to get that instead of Sons of Liberty.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Substance basically had a lot of extra crap you wouldn't really care about, and itsn't worth the $10 extra you'd probably pay to get that instead of Sons of Liberty.[/QUOTE]

Bah, Substance was great. The VR Missions were fun as hell and I spent at least 12 hours on those alone (didn't finish all of them either.) The Snake Tales missions were merely decent, but those VR Missions definitely justify the extra cost.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Substance basically had a lot of extra crap you wouldn't really care about, and itsn't worth the $10 extra you'd probably pay to get that instead of Sons of Liberty.[/QUOTE]

dude, Skateboarding the Big Shell. nuff said ;)

[quote name='Apossum']dude, Skateboarding the Big Shell. nuff said ;)[/QUOTE]

The only thing I like to see Snake do is sneak, kill, and catch monkeys. :)

thanks. I just wanted the game so I took your advice. picked up a used/complete copy over the weekend for $5.

just beat it...damn, that ending's awesome. I've got questions.

Was that Ocelot's voice at the end after the credits? my tv was kinda low. Also, is Snake in MGS 1 + 2 different from this snake? Is "Big Boss" the same guy in the original Metal Gear?

now I'm gonna play MGS 2 then TS. gonna go in reverse order I guess.

[quote name='Apossum']just beat it...damn, that ending's awesome. I've got questions.

Was that Ocelot's voice at the end after the credits? my tv was kinda low. Also, is Snake in MGS 1 + 2 different from this snake? Is "Big Boss" the same guy in the original Metal Gear?

now I'm gonna play MGS 2 then TS. gonna go in reverse order I guess.[/quote]
The big surprise of MGS3, as I understand, is that you were actually playing as Big Boss the whole time. The Big Boss of the old old Metal Gear games, that is. So, yes, Snake in MGS1 + 2 is different from MGS3 Snake. The traditional Solid Snake is a clone of Big Boss, which is why they look the same.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't played MGS3 yet (want to play MGS2 first).

he certainly has good reason to be pissed. I wonder if "eva" will show up in 4.

edit: just read a plot faq and answered my questions :)

There's a PSP game that was announced at E3 that is supposed to show how Big Boss became a bad guy, against America, and started Outer Heaven.

Stupid PSP.

Stupid PSP indeed. Also, stupid MSX versions of Metal Gear. I liked the NES version of MG1 much better. smoother framerate, better music.

[quote name='Apossum']Stupid PSP indeed. Also, stupid MSX versions of Metal Gear. I liked the NES version of MG1 much better. smoother framerate, better music.[/QUOTE]

Kojima would slap you if he heard that.

Anyway, I'm mad too...I really don't want to get a PSP, but MGS3 is my favorite game, and Portable Ops looks to be awesome...

I don't know how sensitive this topic is around here, but I would go out and legitimately buy PSP games if there were PSP emulators for PC. I'm sure there aren't. Yet.

Are you listening, Sony? If I could pop a memory stick into my computer and play a PSP game, I'd pay a good 50 bucks for that software. You'd get a cut of the memory stick sale, the game sale, and the emulator sale.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Kojima would slap you if he heard that.

[/QUOTE]

I miss "I feel asleep!" and the awesome MG theme :whistle2:(

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I know this is in the wrong thread, but all the other threads are dead, but I found a link to a good quality version of the MGS4 15 min trailer for download...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5GRD39ZL[/quote]

I REALLY don't want to have to spend $600.00 on a console.... but for MGS4, it's as good as done.

bread's done
Back