MGS:Subsistence Thread-- info on LE, bonus discs, reviews etc.

[quote name='mykevermin']Good advice; they sent me a refurbed PS2 at no cost when I called (FFXI wouldn't work, so perhaps I had the same console as you). It's a bit of a pain, but if you want to play online, it's your best (and cheapest) bet.[/quote]
Thanks, I followed both of your advice and gave them a call today. I explained to the CSR that I can play online games that don't use DNAS, but the ones that do give me a -881 error. He said that they will do a free repair for me, if there is no way to repair it they will exchange it with a factory refurbished one... at least I get a 90 day warranty with it.

How long did it take for them to replace your PS2 with a refurbed one? I don't think there is any way to fix my PS2, it's just probably just too old to be compatible so I'm guessing they will just replace it.

I dunno if everyone's only playing the online mode, but damn, the actual single player game is infinitely better now. And I fuckin' loved it before.

[quote name='Kendal']Press select when online to do voice commands and hold it down to voice chat if you have a headset. I found that out today. :D[/quote] Due to the fact that it's inconvenient to have to hold down Select, and you can't talk between rounds and it's generally hard to hear people, some of us guys at Penny Arcade talk on Ventrilo (free PC voice chat program) it makes things infinitely easier. Problem is not everyone has their PC close to their TV/PS2.

[quote name='ShimSham']Due to the fact that it's inconvenient to have to hold down Select, and you can't talk between rounds and it's generally hard to hear people, some of us guys at Penny Arcade talk on Ventrilo (free PC voice chat program) it makes things infinitely easier. Problem is not everyone has their PC close to their TV/PS2.[/quote]

Yeah I love getting shot the phunk up while talking...

[quote name='whoknows']Whats so hard about Snake Vs Monkey? Controls are the same as in the normal game. You shoot the monkey, you go get it....not that hard...[/QUOTE]
Thank you, Mr. Metal Gear expert, not everyone knows what the controls are when they first play the game. As someone that likes to know what the controls are before he plays, it was annoying to have to waste time because I had no clue what button captures the monkey. If you think that's not an important piece of information for that minigame, then you need to think of the noobs at this game.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']The bare minimum of what you need to know to play. Seriously, look at Madden. They keep adding a LOT of little tweaks here and there yet the manual almost never covers what they are.[/QUOTE]
They have the tutorials that explain the finer details of the new things and gameplay changes, I don't think there's many other companies that even consider tutorials anymore.

[quote name='flybrione']Also I saw other people playing with main character avatars how do you do that and how do you salute? There were a few people that would kill me and then salute my body afterward which I thought was really cool. I also could not get my headset to work most likely because of the router issue.

I would just like to state for the record that PS2 online sucks! and they better do something exciting with PS3.[/QUOTE]
Saluting is done via the Triangle button. The major character avatars are randomly done in team deathmatch, I believe.

I don't really much fault in the PS2's online setup other than the non-universal features. It's easier to set up than Live and actually getting online is never that much of a hassle.

[quote name='ShimSham']Due to the fact that it's inconvenient to have to hold down Select, and you can't talk between rounds and it's generally hard to hear people, some of us guys at Penny Arcade talk on Ventrilo (free PC voice chat program) it makes things infinitely easier. Problem is not everyone has their PC close to their TV/PS2.[/QUOTE]
How do you go about doing that?

[quote name='yukine']How long did it take for them to replace your PS2 with a refurbed one? I don't think there is any way to fix my PS2, it's just probably just too old to be compatible so I'm guessing they will just replace it.[/QUOTE]
I had mine back in about a week and a half, including time being shipped from NJ to Texas and back.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']As someone that likes to know what the controls are before he plays, it was annoying to have to waste time because I had no clue what button captures the monkey. If you think that's not an important piece of information for that minigame, then you need to think of the noobs at this game.[/quote]
It might be an important piece of information, if it existed. You didn't try running into the monkey?

[quote name='jasonlives13']How do you go about doing that?[/quote]

www.ventrilo.com

As for setting up a server, I don't know because one of the forumers at PA does it willingly and we just access it. But you can choose stuff like fix your mic sensitivity so you don't have to hold down a button to talk. That makes playing games online easier.

Also, Captain K at PA, the guy who runs the server, has a thread there that answers a lot of questions. Here's the thread.

[quote name='ShimSham']www.ventrilo.com

As for setting up a server, I don't know because one of the forumers at PA does it willingly and we just access it. But you can choose stuff like fix your mic sensitivity so you don't have to hold down a button to talk. That makes playing games online easier.

Also, Captain K at PA, the guy who runs the server, has a thread there that answers a lot of questions. Here's the thread.[/QUOTE]
Thanks mate.

[quote name='pete5883']It might be an important piece of information, if it existed. You didn't try running into the monkey?[/QUOTE]
I knocked them out by rolling over them or shooting them, then I ran all over them pressing every button I could (I guess except Triangle somehow) and nothing happens. It was frustrating when nothing I tried worked and nothing obviously jumped out at me.

[quote name='pete5883']I had mine back in about a week and a half, including time being shipped from NJ to Texas and back.

It might be an important piece of information, if it existed. You didn't try running into the monkey?[/quote]

Thanks, that's good to hear. I just got Subsistence so I don't want to be away from my PS2 for too long considering I've never played MGS3 until now. ;)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I knocked them out by rolling over them or shooting them, then I ran all over them pressing every button I could (I guess except Triangle somehow) and nothing happens. It was frustrating when nothing I tried worked and nothing obviously jumped out at me.[/QUOTE]
...but Triangle doesn't do anything (that I know of.) All you should have to do is touch them while they're knocked out from being shot (I've never tried rolling into them.)

I just finished watching the Metal Gear Saga bonus dvd and man, why are so many people going "meh" towards it? It was a pretty fantastic documentary that featured many anecdotes about the series I never knew before (The Boss's bare breast as an originial concept and fat children as inspiration for MGS 1 come to mind). And it was completely free.

I guess many people are not thrilled because of how much the discs are going for on ebay but if you disregard those bloated figures and just take the documentary for what it is, you should realize how well done it everything is.

[quote name='basketkase543']I just finished watching the Metal Gear Saga bonus dvd and man, why are so many people going "meh" towards it? It was a pretty fantastic documentary that featured many anecdotes about the series I never knew before (The Boss's bare breast as an originial concept and fat children as inspiration for MGS 1 come to mind). And it was completely free.

I guess many people are not thrilled because of how much the discs are going for on ebay but if you disregard those bloated figures and just take the documentary for what it is, you should realize how well done it everything is.[/quote]
I know more people are meh about the Existence disc then they were about the Saga DVD. I thought both were great but you can't please everyone.

The thing I don't like about the third disc is there is no way to pause and resume the movie. That is pretty shitty. It seemed half-assed.

[quote name='Kendal']The thing I don't like about the third disc is there is no way to pause and resume the movie. That is pretty shitty. It seemed half-assed.[/QUOTE]

Was it even a DVD that you can play in any standard DVD player? Or was it just a PS2 DVD disc?

Wow, I bought a memory card just for Subsistence so that I could download all of the camos but damn I could only save about three of them tops because of the fact that each one takes up a whopping 802KB in memory space. There's no way you could get all 20 of them. Kojima should've just added them to the game so that you wouldn't have to save them all in a memory card. :bomb:

[quote name='jasonlives13']Wow, I bought a memory card just for Subsistence so that I could download all of the camos but damn I could only save about three of them tops because of the fact that each one takes up a whopping 802KB in memory space. There's no way you could get all 20 of them. Kojima should've just added them to the game so that you wouldn't have to save them all in a memory card. :bomb:[/quote]But then that would add more heat on the fact that the manual is best used as toilet paper, than instructing you on how to play the game.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Damn, I've never been straight up bad at any Metal Gear game, but MGS3 absolutely kicks my ass. Haven't even taken it online yet.[/QUOTE]

it is tough-- much harder to sneak up and take someone hostage than in MGS2. actually it's damn near impossible. they turn around even when you're tiptoeing.

if i die too much, I just run through a scene, get to the next area, take a death pill, continue, and be in the next area with no alert :)

I've heard that using the D-pad will make you walk silently, while pushing slightly on the analog stick will not make you entirely silent. Try that.

[quote name='Vegan']I've heard that using the D-pad will make you walk silently, while pushing slightly on the analog stick will not make you entirely silent. Try that.[/quote]That's completely true, and the easiest thing to screw up on when you're new to the game.

^Yeah. In fact, I don't think it's possible to sneak up without alerting a guard if you use the analog stick. Took me damn near 20 minutes to figure out that you HAVE to use the d-pad for that the first time I played back when it came out.

Don't forget that you can also use CQC to help the sneaking. I played through the original MGS 3 without ever even knowing it this move was available. It wasn't until playing online in Subsistence that I realized how useful it is. Basically, when you're sneaking up on a guard (even with analog stick) and you get close enough, you can just hold the circle button and the analog stick forward and Snake will slam the guard into the ground causing the guard to be dazed for a good amount of time. This even works if the guard turns around and sees you because before they have time to alert anybody else, they become unconscious. It's a great technique and now I can't stop using it.

[quote name='ShimSham']Due to the fact that it's inconvenient to have to hold down Select, and you can't talk between rounds and it's generally hard to hear people, some of us guys at Penny Arcade talk on Ventrilo (free PC voice chat program) it makes things infinitely easier. Problem is not everyone has their PC close to their TV/PS2.[/QUOTE]

I like the headset system they've got going...it's kinda cool that you can only talk if you pull out your radio (i.e. hold select). It's especially cool that you can shoot someone's radio and render them silent.

I had no idea the dpad even worked for this game! it'll be so much easier now.

[quote name='basketkase543']Don't forget that you can also use CQC to help the sneaking. I played through the original MGS 3 without ever even knowing it this move was available.[/quote]

And that's why I still read instruction manuals.

[quote name='Vegan']And that's why I still read instruction manuals.[/quote]To fully understand everything you can do with CQC, reading the manual is a must.

I don't know if they explain it all in the Subsistence manual, I haven't checked. I know they did in the Snake Eater manual though.

Thanks for the d-pad tip for sneaking up on people! I always alert guards a second before I can grab them or stick them up.

Dunno crazytalk; I'm honestly not a huge fan of the changed camera; I don't know the laundry list of changes to the first disc, but I think they're mostly aesthetic and ultimately not a big deal (face paint, for instace). Though, if you're a *true* MGS ninja, then European Extreme is for you. Perhaps a rental will answer your question.

As for my question, I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely *suck* at MGS. Not online, that's no big deal. Offline, in the game, my ass gets spotted all the time, and I want to learn to be a stealthier player (so I can select a difficulty above *easy*). Any advice or FAQs you can point me to are greatly appreciated.

[quote name='crazytalkx']Should I buy Substinance if I don't really intend to play it online and already have the original version???[/quote]The game has a lot more to it outside of Online mode, even though that is a big selling point of it.

You get the original game with a better camera, new camouflages, European Extreme, Secret Theater (hilarious videos) Demo Theater (choose to play any cutscene with any camo) Duel mode (fighting the bosses and Special duel mode) new Snake vs. Monkey stages, The true versions of Metal Gear 1 and MG2 and MG AC!D2 connectivity.

So if you think all of that is worth $30, go for it.

[quote name='mykevermin']Dunno crazytalk; I'm honestly not a huge fan of the changed camera; I don't know the laundry list of changes to the first disc, but I think they're mostly aesthetic and ultimately not a big deal (face paint, for instace). Though, if you're a *true* MGS ninja, then European Extreme is for you. Perhaps a rental will answer your question.

As for my question, I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely *suck* at MGS. Not online, that's no big deal. Offline, in the game, my ass gets spotted all the time, and I want to learn to be a stealthier player (so I can select a difficulty above *easy*). Any advice or FAQs you can point me to are greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Yeah... I'm pretty terrible at MGS as well, I think I'm just too used to games where you run around blowing stuff up.

[quote name='ShimSham']The game has a lot more to it outside of Online mode, even though that is a big selling point of it.

You get the original game with a better camera, new camouflages, European Extreme, Secret Theater (hilarious videos) Demo Theater (choose to play any cutscene with any camo) Duel mode (fighting the bosses and Special duel mode) new Snake vs. Monkey stages, The true versions of Metal Gear 1 and MG2 and MG AC!D2 connectivity.

So if you think all of that is worth $30, go for it.[/QUOTE]

Do you know what the connectivity thing is? I'm getting Acid 2, but I have no idea what the connectivity is for.

I'll just rent it for now, thanks for the responses! Tetris DS is just more important to me at the moment (to acquire).

[quote name='Chacrana']Do you know what the connectivity thing is? I'm getting Acid 2, but I have no idea what the connectivity is for.[/quote]

I have no idea what it is either. I didn't even know Acid and Subsistance were going to be interconnected. Maybe, it unlocks some special cards for gameplay. I know AC!d has a boss fight mode. Maybe you can fight the boss battles from MGS3 on Ac!d.

[quote name='mykevermin']As for my question, I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely *suck* at MGS. Not online, that's no big deal. Offline, in the game, my ass gets spotted all the time, and I want to learn to be a stealthier player (so I can select a difficulty above *easy*). Any advice or FAQs you can point me to are greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I'm playing through Hard right now, not having too big of a problem.

I think the thing many people have trouble with is finding a ba;ance between how realistic the AI is and how unrealistic the AI is. For example, I've seen people that would get spotted, run about two feet away and hide in some grass, expecting not to be caught, just because they had been safe there before the alert went up. This is bad; of course they're going to walk that way and spot you.

On the other hand, the AI is far more gullible than real-life people would be. Example: if there are two guards walking too closely together for comfort, put the silencer on your tranquilizer and take one out. The other will just assume he feel asleep, and walk over to kick him...and that's how you use the first guard as bait to CQC the second.

I'm not sure if that helps at all, but you just gotta keep at it until you get sort of a "sixth sense" about what to do in a given situation.

A friend of mine told me that the PSP AC!D2 connectivity thing is you can watch some of the MGS3 cutscenes in 3D and you can take pictures in MGS3 and send them to your PSP and look at them in 3D and there might be more, he didnt mention.

[quote name='Kendal']I just got a rank of Chamelon! I am so happy. Seriously though, wTF is times eaten?[/QUOTE]

Uh...how many times you ate food?

[quote name='Kendal']I just got a rank of Chamelon! I am so happy. Seriously though, wTF is times eaten?[/QUOTE]
How do you get that rank? Where do I see my rank?

If you get ranked with an animal rank, it will show up in your personal data. Also when you see people with three letters to the right of their name, they have an animal rank. Mine shows up as CHA. I guess because I am sneaky. I think you get PIG rank if you eat when you don't need it too many times. I am well over 20 hours between my two profiles and am still addicted. It is lots of fun online. I haven't played much of the single player yet, all but an hourish in the single player have been devoted online. I wonder if there is a TDM rank for a person who plays TDM all the time. I believe the frog rank is achieved by playing nothing but capture the frog.

PIG rank is if you get flat out slaughtered when you play.
TAR (tarantula) is if you Team Kill a lot
S.E (snake eater) is if you're really good at Sneak mode and are Snake a lot
F.H (foxhound) is if you're flat out amazing (I think)
FOX is if you're 2nd best a lot or something.
You're right about the Kerotan rank, you get that for playing Capture a lot.

I have a list with all of the rankings for multiplayer but I'm in my school's computer lab right now and so I can't get to that. When I get home I'll post.

I've been playing through the single player game and its incredible how different it feels because of the new camera. Every so often, I press L3 to revert to how the game used to be and I wonder how I ever fell in love with the game in the first place. The camera is SUCH an improvement.

I have see some PIGs on the field and they aren't getting slaughtered. I know it takes more than one round to drop a rank, but I have played for hours with some and nothing. Also where did you get your rankings from?

[quote name='Kendal']I have see some PIGs on the field and they aren't getting slaughtered. I know it takes more than one round to drop a rank, but I have played for hours with some and nothing. Also where did you get your rankings from?[/quote]Actually it turns out my source might've been wrong on that. I went back to where I originally saw it (the day after the game came out) and ideas have certainly changed. I think you were right about the number of rations eaten because that seems to be the general agreement on it now. I should've checked it again before posting.

Woo-hoo, i finally got that damn secret snake, tsuchinoko (in the single player game)! Now I just have to hold onto to it to get that extra camaflouge.

bread's done
Back