MGS:Subsistence Thread-- info on LE, bonus discs, reviews etc.

yeah!!! I jus got my LE in the mail today!

(actually it was left in front of my door)

along with the extra DVD!!!

I gotta get like a display case for this thing now.

[quote name='JEKKI']yeah!!! I jus got my LE in the mail today!

(actually it was left in front of my door)

along with the extra DVD!!!

I gotta get like a display case for this thing now.[/QUOTE]

Congrats! Don't forget to post your name in the metal gear online forum if you play online.

So Today on my day off I beat MG1 and MG2.

I want to say MG1, which I started last night, took me 3 hours to beat. It was pretty meh but certainly way better than the NES version. It was pretty much what I expected from a game from that era.

MG2 isn't even in the same league as MG1. I beat it in about 6 hours and I had a walkthrough, I don't know how a lot of people would beat the game in a decent time without knowing where to go. Near the end of the game the amount of backtracking you do is pretty annoying but good payoff. I'd honestly say that MG2 is more closely related to MGS than it is MG anyday. MG2 has a lot of gameplay elements many think were added in MGS, not to mention a ton of plot points that were in MGS.

Some of the similarities with MGS that I noticed.
- Character from previous game turned into Ninja Boss
- Static codec call telling you about a minefield
- There's a room that bares a striking resemblance to the armory room with the many little rooms inside it (like right before the Ocelot fight in MGS)
- You get a key item that changes with temperature
- Elevator breaking and 4 guards attacking you while you're in it.
- The death run up the stairs with endless guards
- and a lot of the stuff Big Boss said before you fight him is really close to the stuff Boss told him before she fougth him. Talking about whoever wins will carry on the fight and such.

Also, when you beat the MSX games you unlock the bandana (infinite ammo item) and Boss Survival mode for the game. Which is a kind've nice bonus. MG2 is just flat out hard though.

Also the Nikita/RC Missle part.

I have yet to put much time into the rest of the game, I have enjoyed over 25 hours of MGO. I have played against a few, at least I believe so, cheaters. One guy was invisible, not stealth invisible but not on the screen. I have been killed by a few dead guys. Not lagged, but the same dead guy in the same spot dead guy. Overall, it is lots of fun and I like using the SVD.

how did the CAG online game go? I couldn't make it. I just got the PM a few minutes ago. I hope you guys organize another if there are enough people here willing to.

[quote name='dpatel']how did the CAG online game go? I couldn't make it. I just got the PM a few minutes ago. I hope you guys organize another if there are enough people here willing to.[/quote]

I came in an hour late and no one was there. I hope it gets resheduled.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']Yeah, I couldn't make it, either.

We'll try again, I'm sure...and then you better watch out for my SVD![/quote]

...I will skullfuck you through your sniper scope. :D

I just beat MGS 3 S, but what happened in the final battle?

When I fought the Boss, my third-person camera didn't work at all. I had to revert back to the old style of gaming, which REALLY threw me off considering everything else felt so polished. There's no reason why the new camera angle shouldn't apply to the final battle. Is it just me or did anyone else have that happen too?

[quote name='basketkase543']I just beat MGS 3 S, but what happened in the final battle?

When I fought the Boss, my third-person camera didn't work at all. I had to revert back to the old style of gaming, which REALLY threw me off considering everything else felt so polished. There's no reason why the new camera angle shouldn't apply to the final battle. Is it just me or did anyone else have that happen too?
[/quote]
Yeah that happens, I'm not entirely sure why though.

It wasn't too bad for me but I beat the game with the old camera about 9 times so yeah. The Boss is one of the easiest bosses though, you can stamina kill her without having to move much at all if you reverse her CQC.

[quote name='ShimSham']Yeah that happens, I'm not entirely sure why though.

It wasn't too bad for me but I beat the game with the old camera about 9 times so yeah. The Boss is one of the easiest bosses though, you can stamina kill her without having to move much at all if you reverse her CQC.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it wasn't too bad but I was just disoriented at being forced to work at that crappy angle again. I really don't understand the logic behind leaving that portion untouched. I guess it would be TOO easy to win that way but then, so is the rest of the game with the new camera.

Hey guys, I have a Q for those with the LE that have watched Existence. I'm going home for spring break and my bro (who is a huge MGS fan but I took the PS2 to school) wants to watch Existence to see the story for MGS3. But after reading some of the comments about disc 3, I was wondering if I should show him Existence or just the Demo Theater (which seems to include some codec sequences too). What do you guys think? Thanks for the help.

[quote name='ShimSham']Yeah that happens, I'm not entirely sure why though.

It wasn't too bad for me but I beat the game with the old camera about 9 times so yeah. The Boss is one of the easiest bosses though, you can stamina kill her without having to move much at all if you reverse her CQC.[/QUOTE]
All I did was kept diving into her and showing her my kung fu. It was cool, but its hilarious when you fight The Fury with CQC. It took some tries but I beat that Flaming Astroturd with my raging tackles and knife.

[quote name='CouRageouS']All I did was kept diving into her and showing her my kung fu. It was cool, but its hilarious when you fight The Fury with CQC. It took some tries but I beat that Flaming Astroturd with my raging tackles and knife.[/QUOTE]

Damn, i hadn't even thought about trying to kick his ass mano-y-mano. Sounds hard as hell though.

[quote name='basketkase543']Damn, i hadn't even thought about trying to kick his ass mano-y-mano. Sounds hard as hell though.[/quote]Using the knife on him takes him out like you wouldn't know.

Shotty works really well too, they both tear his suit.

So, I thought that I'd try to find all the Kerotan frogs playing through this time...only the one during Operation Snake Eater that's supposed to be on the top of the bridge isn't there. What a load of crap. :(

[quote name='Blind the Thief']So, I thought that I'd try to find all the Kerotan frogs playing through this time...only the one during Operation Snake Eater that's supposed to be on the top of the bridge isn't there. What a load of crap. :([/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went through the game this time looking for the Kerotans and had the same problem. The location wasn't where all of the FAQs said they would be, but I did end up finding it.

The FAQs say that it should be at the top of the bridge on the side that has the cave thing under the bridge. I'm going to try my best to explain the directions on how to get it. Starting from the entrance of the area (on the side that has the bee hive), cross the bridge. When you get to the end, look to the mountain on your right side and the Kerotan will be on the very right side of the rock formation and NOT on the actual bridge itself. Does that make sense?

That's the only Kerotan I know that changed from Snake Eater to Subsistence. I don't know where they moved it because I just don't have the will to shoot all 64 frogs again, I did it last year, too much trouble to do again.

[quote name='ShimSham']That's the only Kerotan I know that changed from Snake Eater to Subsistence. I don't know where they moved it because I just don't have the will to shoot all 64 frogs again, I did it last year, too much trouble to do again.[/QUOTE]

I just finished doing it yesterday for the first time and man was it a pain in the ass. It was especially a pain to find that missing kerotan that apparently changed locations.

On another note, when I finished the game it said that I was awarded the stealth camo and the inifinity face paint, but when I start a new game I can't find the stealth camo anywhere. Is it actually called stealth camo? I can see the inifity pain paint but no sign of the camo.

[quote name='basketkase543']I just finished doing it yesterday for the first time and man was it a pain in the ass. It was especially a pain to find that missing kerotan that apparently changed locations.

On another note, when I finished the game it said that I was awarded the stealth camo and the inifinity face paint, but when I start a new game I can't find the stealth camo anywhere. Is it actually called stealth camo? I can see the inifity pain paint but no sign of the camo.[/quote] It's in your backpack, it's an item not an actual camo.

[quote name='ShimSham']It's in your backpack, it's an item not an actual camo.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I hadn't even checked there yet. I just started a new game quickly to try it out and was bummed that I couldn't find it. Thanks for the info.

[quote name='basketkase543']Yeah, I went through the game this time looking for the Kerotans and had the same problem. The location wasn't where all of the FAQs said they would be, but I did end up finding it.

The FAQs say that it should be at the top of the bridge on the side that has the cave thing under the bridge. I'm going to try my best to explain the directions on how to get it. Starting from the entrance of the area (on the side that has the bee hive), cross the bridge. When you get to the end, look to the mountain on your right side and the Kerotan will be on the very right side of the rock formation and NOT on the actual bridge itself. Does that make sense?[/quote]

Is this game still available? I did not had a chance to pick it up on day one and now i am not even dare to go to the store to ask. :)

[quote name='yester']Is this game still available? I did not had a chance to pick it up on day one and now i am not even dare to go to the store to ask. :)[/QUOTE]

Subsistence? yes.

Subsistence Limited Editon? nope, long gone. it got a tiny print run.

[quote name='yester']Is this game still available? I did not had a chance to pick it up on day one and now i am not even dare to go to the store to ask. :)[/QUOTE]

As long as you don't go expecting to get the Limited Edition then you should be able to find this game just about everywhere.

Can Metal Gear Acid 2 connect to unlock some stuff in MGS3: Subsistence? I know you could with Metal Gear Acid for Snake Eater, but I think that only worked for the Japanese and European versions of the game(s).

[quote name='yukine']Can Metal Gear Acid 2 connect to unlock some stuff in MGS3: Subsistence? I know you could with Metal Gear Acid for Snake Eater, but I think that only worked for the Japanese and European versions of the game(s).[/QUOTE]
In Subsistence? No. In Acid 2? Not really, you can upload photos to Acid 2 to view them in 3D with the Solid Eye.

It seems that there's no button needed for Snake vs. Ape to capture monkeys, even though it seemed like not even running over them worked at first. How do you open up other stages in Snake vs. Ape?

just a simple question about MGS 3. can I only save when I enter a new area?

recently I was at the big croc pond before "The Pain", went through the entire area, found some stuff I needed then saved. when I loaded it back up later it started me up as I was just entering the pond, with all my items gone.

I don't know because I haven't played it, but every single Metal Gear came saves your progress in terms of floors or areas. So I'm gonna say yes.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']In Subsistence? No. In Acid 2? Not really, you can upload photos to Acid 2 to view them in 3D with the Solid Eye.

It seems that there's no button needed for Snake vs. Ape to capture monkeys, even though it seemed like not even running over them worked at first. How do you open up other stages in Snake vs. Ape?[/quote]

Hmm, kind of lame. Maybe I should just spend the money on Metroid Prime: Hunters instead. :)

[quote name='asianxcore']just a simple question about MGS 3. can I only save when I enter a new area?

recently I was at the big croc pond before "The Pain", went through the entire area, found some stuff I needed then saved. when I loaded it back up later it started me up as I was just entering the pond, with all my items gone.[/QUOTE]

The way it works is that your progress (including items and damage rec'd) is not counted towards a save until you load up a new area. So whenever I got some cool new food or item that I didn't want to have to look for again, I left the current location, re-entered it, and then saved.

[quote name='basketkase543']The way it works is that your progress (including items and damage rec'd) is not counted towards a save until you load up a new area. So whenever I got some cool new food or item that I didn't want to have to look for again, I left the current location, re-entered it, and then saved.[/quote]

Exactly, and I believe that's the case with every Metal Gear game dating back to the original.

Can someone fill me in on what happens when you select "I like MGS1" etc. from the new game menu?

I don't want to play as Raiden, I want to play as the regular Big Boss/Snake from MGS 3 as it was meant to be played.

It works a little something like this.
MGS1- Slower Stamina depletion.
MGS2- Raiden model in opening
MGS3- Unlocks theaters

You get the Raiden mask anyway so it's no biggie.

[quote name='willardhaven']Cool, what about the "this is my first MGS" option? If this is in the manual, my apologies.[/QUOTE]
I think it depends on the difficulty you choose. If you choose Very Easy, you get a silenced tranquilizer gun that you don't on Normal.

Just from looking at GameFAQs:

Demo Theatre - Pick I like MG3 on a new file and save it
European Extreme - Choose: I LIKE MGS3!
Secret Theatre - Pick I like MG3 on a new file and save it
Unlock Duel Mode - on Disc 2 Pick I like MG3 on a new file and save it
EZ Gun (what I mentioned above) - Playing the game on Very Easy mode.

For other unlockables and such: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/code/928437.html

yeah.. the online is surprisingly good.. I have never played any PS2 Online game before, and this one gave me a very good first impression. After being such an XBox Live Fanboy for so long, I commend konami on getting this game right.. I love sneaking and capture the frog games..

Reality's Fringe said:
Man, Konami went all out with this double dip(Secret theatre ROCKS). Other Devs: Take note.
I think Konami, in general, does an excellent job with their Special Editions. I only wish we got the SE pack that comes with a headset.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Do you unlock the Secret Theater, Demo Theater, and European Extreme after you beat the game?[/quote]Yes, or start a new game in single player and choose I Like MGS3 at the beginning. Then save and all that stuff will be loaded.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It seems that there's no button needed for Snake vs. Ape to capture monkeys, even though it seemed like not even running over them worked at first. How do you open up other stages in Snake vs. Ape?[/QUOTE]
Any help?

"The End"= awesome boss battle.

I am really liking this new camera system. Also like that you can revert to the old one any time you wish.

When I found out that they added a bunch of new camo and facepaint (like Desert Tiger or Brown face paint) that seemed especially useful, it almost felt like they cheapened the game by adding this stuff to make it easier...but then I found out most of it was initially unlocked for me because I had a save file from Snake Eater on my memory card. SWEET.

[quote name='Blind the Thief']When I found out that they added a bunch of new camo and facepaint (like Desert Tiger or Brown face paint) that seemed especially useful, it almost felt like they cheapened the game by adding this stuff to make it easier...but then I found out most of it was initially unlocked for me because I had a save file from Snake Eater on my memory card. SWEET.[/QUOTE]
They added a bunch of camos that were Euro-exclusive since they got some extras (also the extra Snake vs. Ape missions) because they were last in line for Snake Eater.

bread's done
Back