MGS:Subsistence Thread-- info on LE, bonus discs, reviews etc.

I'm guessing the person who had the opened copy probably picked up the last one a game store had, and the discs were behind the counter.

I already just decided what to do.

Ima go buy a regular edition to play.

the reason being, I bought the LE just to have it,

just becoz it's a LE version of one of the best games I played.

I know damn well I would never watch the 3rd disc.

so with the ebay prices going over $100,

owning the LE would be that much more valuable to me if I kept it sealed.

anyway, Im out to go get the regular version at Frys now!

plus an ethernet cord too!! but I cant play tonite (homework...)

[quote name='JEKKI']I already just decided what to do.

plus an ethernet cord too!! but I cant play tonite (homework...)[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I'm starting to lean that direction myself.

I actually think the new camera has encouraged me to be more stealthy and less action friendly.

As far as the online modes go, I'm completely sold on the sneak mode with snake vs. all the guards. I think they really did a good job with this release.

[quote name='JEKKI']I already just decided what to do.

plus an ethernet cord too!! but I cant play tonite (homework...)[/QUOTE]

yep, that's what I did. why not? there's no difference in gameplay and I sure as shit am not going to watch 3 hours of cutscenes (I mean, I laugh half the story off anyway...like when Ocelot makes that Cat/Bird sound...almost had me in tears!)

so i sold one on ebay and am keeping one sealed.

I am thinking of putting my LE box up on eBay and snake some $$$ from the reading impared. I really like the game and the LE edition sucks balls. You can't pause the movie, it is in PS2 format and it is disapointing. I could have saved $10 and bought the regular version. Oh well. I played a few rounds online and the host kept disconnecting. It seemed neat, but I wasn't impressed, for obvious reasons. LE is such a freaking let down.

I'm keeping my LE sealed and I'm waiting for a price drop on the regular version. I've got such a big backlog of games. I can afford to wait on it until I find it cheaper.

Obviously I simply remembered incorrectly. How could they have been opened if I remembered the red box as being sealed, eh? Hey, the moment of opening it was like a blur, cut me some slack!

[quote name='Kendal']I am thinking of putting my LE box up on eBay and snake some $$$ from the reading impared. I really like the game and the LE edition sucks balls. You can't pause the movie, it is in PS2 format and it is disapointing. I could have saved $10 and bought the regular version. Oh well. I played a few rounds online and the host kept disconnecting. It seemed neat, but I wasn't impressed, for obvious reasons. LE is such a freaking let down.[/QUOTE]

you could still easily get $50 or more for the LE box with the 3rd disc. tough to say though-- it might be worth more later.

[quote name='Apossum']you could still easily get $50 or more for the LE box with the 3rd disc. tough to say though-- it might be worth more later.[/QUOTE]

Probably. I think the value will go down in a few days and then gradually go up again in a couple months.

Even if the LE is open, you can still get around $100.

My friend found an LE at EB, it was already opened to make it a display copy (WHY??!), when he got it, it was still in perfect condition with a stupid EB price sticker on the box. Sold it for $98 I think, made sure to mention many times it was open as well.

I'll probably just open my personal copy to play it, since even if I do ever decide to part with it I know I'll get more then $40, open or not... I really just don't want to spend $30 on another version of the game.

Just wonderful.

I preordered the LE over a month before the game came out. When I went to pick it up yesterday, he kind of laughed. Jerk.

They were supposed to get in 8 copies, but ended up only getting in 2. Guess where I was on the list. That's right, THIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This freakin blows. My only chance is if one trickles in, as I am next on the list. That or a reprint.

So yeah, I have no chance.

[quote name='Link127']Just wonderful.

I preordered the LE over a month before the game came out. When I went to pick it up yesterday, he kind of laughed. Jerk.

They were supposed to get in 8 copies, but ended up only getting in 2. Guess where I was on the list. That's right, THIRD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This freakin blows. My only chance is if one trickles in, as I am next on the list. That or a reprint.

So yeah, I have no chance.[/quote]
Well most people agree that the Existance disc is underwhelming. I mean it's not bad by any means, it's just not exactly what everyone expected. So aside from missing that and a fancy red box that's about it. The LE is going for around $130 on Ebay right now, it's not worth that much. The online play and the MSX ports are the real selling point of the game.

[quote name='Link127']Just wonderful.

So yeah, I have no chance.[/QUOTE]

Isn't the whole point of preordering with them so that you guarantee yourself a copy? Man, those guys need to get their act together. This is another reason why I hardly preorder games anymore.

I just picked up the only LE box within a 25 mile radius, it was opened with sealed games.

What's the best route to take? I want to play it but I would be fine with the regular edition.

To anyone that saw the Gamespot review on this game....OMG WTF LOL

In "The Bad" part they complain about the manual being too small...wtf does that have to do with the game?? Also they say "Some of the smaller gameplay issues from the original haven't been touched"....yeah...the guy who reviewed it has problems...

[quote name='whoknows']To anyone that saw the Gamespot review on this game....OMG WTF LOL

In "The Bad" part they complain about the manual being too small...wtf does that have to do with the game?? Also they say "Some of the smaller gameplay issues from the original haven't been touched"....yeah...the guy who reviewed it has problems...[/QUOTE]

Everyone knows EA wins the minimalist award for game manuals.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Everyone knows EA wins the minimalist award for game manuals.[/QUOTE]
True, but taking in the manual/coverart into the review of a game is just asinine. Just because the manual isn't 50+ pages doesnt mean it affects gameplay in any way.

[quote name='willardhaven']Can someone also tell me if the games inside the box are supposed to be taped together? I think GS did that but I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

Nope, not supposed to be taped together...mine werent at least and I got a sealed copy.

[quote name='whoknows']True, but taking in the manual/coverart into the review of a game is just asinine. Just because the manual isn't 50+ pages doesnt mean it affects gameplay in any way.[/quote]
But that is part of the problem. The JP release manual is 150+ pages including the manuals to the original Metal Gear 1 & 2 plus thoughts from Kojima himself. We were screwed.

Thanks, I am wondering if it's worth Ebaying.

I want the game, so if I do the math it hardly works out.

-40 for the LE
-30 for a regular copy
+100 for ebay?
= 30 dollars and a new game.

Can a floor copy with sealed games get over 100 dollars? I love MGS so I want to make sure I get at least 40-50 in profit before I commit.

[quote name='Msia']But that is part of the problem. The JP release manual is 150+ pages including the manuals to the original Metal Gear 1 & 2 plus thoughts from Kojima himself. We were screwed.[/QUOTE]
But just because we didnt get a pretty manual to look at doesnt make the game any less fun to play.

The manual is a valid point. I'm a bit irked. We got something like an 8-page text-only booklet, while the manual for Snake Eater the original was 50 pages and even included a freaking comic book!

Not everyone has played Snake Eater, Kojima. It's a good thing I got a pdf of Snake Eater's manual online today, because a few pages of text for a game this complex is NOT going to cut it for me.

[quote name='whoknows']True, but taking in the manual/coverart into the review of a game is just asinine. Just because the manual isn't 50+ pages doesnt mean it affects gameplay in any way.[/QUOTE]
Not necessarily true, I can't play Snake vs. Ape because neither the manual nor the game tells me what the fucking controls are!!! It can be a negative thing to not have these things explained in both the game and manual for references. All the manual covers is the controls and gameplay for SE and then how to get online and create a room. Besides a sentence each for the other modes on the second disc, that's it.

At least EA puts pretty much everything you need to know how to play the game in the manual and game.

Edit: I finally figured out the controls for Snake vs. Ape, though it took me 8 minutes to complete the first mission because of the lack of explanation of the controls.

[quote name='whoknows']But just because we didnt get a pretty manual to look at doesnt make the game any less fun to play.[/QUOTE]

It's true. I would have preferred the manual to be comparable to the Japanese one, but that's something you gripe about to your friends or on message boards (*ahem*). Including it in the review of the game is kinda stupid.

I think informative manuals and easy to understand instructions should take precedence over graphics in a review. Considering the graphical state of gaming right now. It is hard playing a difficult game, without the knowhow to make the game work. People bitching about crappy boxart in a review is absurd though. But that isn't the point of this. I would have liked to have a bigger manual with more information. Color not needed, just more info.

[quote name='whoknows']In "The Bad" part they complain about the manual being too small...wtf does that have to do with the game??[/QUOTE]
What does it have to do with the game? The online modes are pretty much completely unexplained.

Also I guess this is just an SCEA policy and not in Japan, but apparently if you have 2-disc case, the manual has to be very small. Which is why Dragon Quest VIII and Star Ocean III were packaged the way they were.

[quote name='Kendal']I think informative manuals and easy to understand instructions should take precedence over graphics in a review. Considering the graphical state of gaming right now. It is hard playing a difficult game, without the knowhow to make the game work. People bitching about crappy boxart in a review is absurd though. But that isn't the point of this. I would have liked to have a bigger manual with more information. Color not needed, just more info.[/QUOTE]

Tutorial > Manual

I never ever read a manual anymore, since almost every game teaches you how to play at the beginning.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

At least EA puts pretty much everything you need to know how to play the game in the manual and game.
[/QUOTE]

The bare minimum of what you need to know to play. Seriously, look at Madden. They keep adding a LOT of little tweaks here and there yet the manual almost never covers what they are.

I played a little bit last night online and it seems interesting. I can not host any games which pissed me off. I don't have problems with Xbox Live so why do I have to adjust my router setting for this one game? I am planning and trying to fix it this evening.

Also I saw other people playing with main character avatars how do you do that and how do you salute? There were a few people that would kill me and then salute my body afterward which I thought was really cool. I also could not get my headset to work most likely because of the router issue.

I would just like to state for the record that PS2 online sucks! and they better do something exciting with PS3.

[quote name='flybrione']I would just like to state for the record that PS2 online sucks! and they better do something exciting with PS3.[/QUOTE]

Interestingly, I read this and thought "how in the world will the PS2 online games work online on PS3?" Perhaps a question for another thread, but interesting to ponder.

[quote name='willardhaven']Flybrione, where is your avatar from? It's cool.[/QUOTE]

It is the Milkman from Psychonauts. One of my favorite games from last year.
If you have not yet played it you should give it a try. The Milkman Conspiracy level was my favorite from the game.

[quote name='flybrione']It is the Milkman from Psychonauts. One of my favorite games from last year.
If you have not yet played it you should give it a try. The Milkman Conspiracy level was my favorite from the game.[/QUOTE]

"I am a roadworker. Here is my sign."

[quote name='willardhaven']Thanks, I am wondering if it's worth Ebaying.

I want the game, so if I do the math it hardly works out.

-40 for the LE
-30 for a regular copy
+100 for ebay?
= 30 dollars and a new game.

Can a floor copy with sealed games get over 100 dollars? I love MGS so I want to make sure I get at least 40-50 in profit before I commit.[/QUOTE]

I think I am reading you right here but if thats yoru math then why are you deducting the games price twice? If you originally intended on purchasing the game then either the $40 or $30 deduction isnt a factor.

Reality's Fringe said:
"I am a roadworker. Here is my sign."

That level was so goofy! :D "Look at that woman. She has large breasts."
If you enjoy platformers I highly recommend the game!

Also Lungfishopolis was great as well. Goggalor!

[quote name='Snake2715']I think I am reading you right here but if thats yoru math then why are you deducting the games price twice? If you originally intended on purchasing the game then either the $40 or $30 deduction isnt a factor.[/quote]

That's a good point, I think I'm going to toss it up there with a 110 BIN and see what happens.

Any tips on selling? I'll offer free shipping to CAGs, but no CAG would spend the prices it is going for over there.

I've never sold anything on Ebay before, I just buy things.

[quote name='flybrione']It is the Milkman from Psychonauts. One of my favorite games from last year.
If you have not yet played it you should give it a try. The Milkman Conspiracy level was my favorite from the game.[/quote]

I have two copies of this game unopened, I want to start it but I need to finish Radiata Stories first.

Man, all this talk about the rarity of the LE has me worried. I preordered mine from EB and paid the amount in full over 3 weeks ago. I got the call on wednesday saying it came in but being as it's spring break, I'm out of town so I told the dude on the phone I wouldn't be in to pick it up until saturday. On the phone at least, they assured me they'd hold onto it for me - I already got the Saga DVD so I'm not so worried about that.

I hope no shmuck employee figures he'll just sell it to someone else and say he'll give me the 40-some bucks in credit.

[quote name='zola']Man, all this talk about the rarity of the LE has me worried. I preordered mine from EB and paid the amount in full over 3 weeks ago. I got the call on wednesday saying it came in but being as it's spring break, I'm out of town so I told the dude on the phone I wouldn't be in to pick it up until saturday. On the phone at least, they assured me they'd hold onto it for me - I already got the Saga DVD so I'm not so worried about that.

I hope no shmuck employee figures he'll just sell it to someone else and say he'll give me the 40-some bucks in credit.[/quote]

EB only holds pre-orders for 48 hours. I would start praying if I were you.

[quote name='WebScud']EB only holds pre-orders for 48 hours. I would start praying if I were you.[/QUOTE]

That's what I heard but I just called and they said they still have it and that it would be waiting for me when I get into town tomorrow.

Still praying though ^^;

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Not necessarily true, I can't play Snake vs. Ape because neither the manual nor the game tells me what the fucking controls are!!! It can be a negative thing to not have these things explained in both the game and manual for references. All the manual covers is the controls and gameplay for SE and then how to get online and create a room. Besides a sentence each for the other modes on the second disc, that's it.

Edit: I finally figured out the controls for Snake vs. Ape, though it took me 8 minutes to complete the first mission because of the lack of explanation of the controls.[/QUOTE]

Whats so hard about Snake Vs Monkey? Controls are the same as in the normal game. You shoot the monkey, you go get it....not that hard...

[quote name='flybrione']I played a little bit last night online and it seems interesting. I can not host any games which pissed me off. I don't have problems with Xbox Live so why do I have to adjust my router setting for this one game? I am planning and trying to fix it this evening.

Also I saw other people playing with main character avatars how do you do that and how do you salute? There were a few people that would kill me and then salute my body afterward which I thought was really cool. I also could not get my headset to work most likely because of the router issue.

I would just like to state for the record that PS2 online sucks! and they better do something exciting with PS3.[/quote]

It is pretty easy to fix. Any dumbass can do it, I am living proof!

I got my LE. I haven't been able to play MGO since I just recently found out that my PS2 is on a very small list of systems that are not compatible with DNAS, thus I can't play. :bomb:

A friend of mine got pretty lucky yesterday, he went in to get the Regular Edition of MGS 3: Subsistence, but they told him they had a cancellation of an LE and if he would want that. Nice.

[quote name='yukine']I got my LE. I haven't been able to play MGO since I just recently found out that my PS2 is on a very small list of systems that are not compatible with DNAS, thus I can't play. :bomb:[/quote]

http://www.us.playstation.com/site.aspx?id=6

“DNAS” (Dynamic Network Authentication System)

This Software uses “DNAS” (Dynamic Network Authentication System), a proprietary authentication system created by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (“SCEI”).

“DNAS” retrieves information about a user’s hardware and software for authentication, copy protection, account blocking, system, rules, or game management and other purposes.

The information collected does not identify the user personally. A publisher can combine this information with personally identifying information from the publisher’s records if the user provides the personally identifying information. Before providing any personal information to a publisher please be sure to review the publisher’s privacy policy and terms and conditions of use. Do not provide personally identifying information to a publisher unless you accept the conditions of use and terms of their privacy policy.

SCEI, Sony Computer Entertainment America (“SCEA”) and their affiliates cannot guarantee the continuous operation of the “DNAS” servers. SCEA shall not be liable for any delay or failure of the “DNAS” servers to perform.

If you receive a message during login identifying a “DNAS” authentication error, please contact SCEA Consumer Services at 1-866-466-5333.

Give them a call and see what they say...

I think I'm going to sell my LE too seeing as I never picked up a replacement PS2 between Jan. and now like I had planned and nothing in the LE package is THAT important to me that I'd be willing to give up a chance to double my money. I just hope people are still this rabid on Monday when I get my LE + Saga. I'd do it now but I know first hand a picture of the object proving it's sealed and you have it in your posession makes all the difference in the world on eBay.

[quote name='eau']Give them a call and see what they say...[/QUOTE]

Good advice; they sent me a refurbed PS2 at no cost when I called (FFXI wouldn't work, so perhaps I had the same console as you). It's a bit of a pain, but if you want to play online, it's your best (and cheapest) bet.

[quote name='pete5883']Also I guess this is just an SCEA policy and not in Japan, but apparently if you have 2-disc case, the manual has to be very small. Which is why Dragon Quest VIII and Star Ocean III were packaged the way they were.[/QUOTE]

Or they could cram a full manual into a double disc case anyways like they did for Growlanser Generations. That game literally bulges.

I was thinking that the documention was kind of skimpy too. There's nothing on the Konami site yet.

And it is really shitty that the LE DVD didn't have an insert at all.

bread's done
Back