MGS:Subsistence Thread-- info on LE, bonus discs, reviews etc.

I stole my friend's modem so I could get online with MGS and... no luck. The connection times out every time I attempt to connect during the setup... is there anything I need to change in my PS2's settings or something to get this to work? I really wanna slit some throats.

Yeah, I kinda failed at waiting till tomorrow to play this...

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Picking this up tommorow at Gamerush if they have it. Can anybody give me an idea of how many regular editions are avaliable?[/QUOTE]

Regular edition shouldn't even be close to difficult to obtain... that's the ghetto version now.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Picking this up tommorow at Gamerush if they have it. Can anybody give me an idea of how many regular editions are avaliable?[/QUOTE]

Good luck, its not even in Gamerush's computer at all, regular or LE.

[quote name='rabbitt']Just got back from picking up my LE. I thought that they came with a headset?[/QUOTE]

Japanese version only.

Well, it's too bad about the headset. And now Mr. Anderson tells me I need a goddamned $30 Network Adapter to get the PS2 online?

[quote name='Apossum']I keep on getting a UDP port error...anyone know what that's about?[/quote]

It means that what port number is listed is not letting UDP traffic through. You're going to have to punch a hole in your firewall.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']That's some bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Believe me, it is. I just had them check Tuesday, the day the 50% off sale started... he couldn't find it in the computer AT ALL, and he looked for a good five minutes.

[quote name='whoknows']OMG...the Secret Theater stuff is hilarious! I never bothered watching it on the internet before...[/QUOTE]

Never! My god!

These are insanely hilarious. I wish they would do more. Seriously, I was dripping with tears when I first saw these.

[quote name='yukine']Why would you need to play MGS2 first? MGS3 comes chronologically before MGS1 and MGS2.[/quote]

I'm not playing MGS3 until I play MGS2, is what I meant. I have played the NES Metal Gear as a kid.

Yes, I realize MGS3 comes first chronologically, but I've been told by numerous people that it's more rewarding to play MGS2 before 3.

[quote name='rabbitt'] And now Mr. Anderson tells me I need a goddamned $30 Network Adapter to get the PS2 online?[/quote]

Your PS2 is old lol. :p

I just got off the phone with my dad, and he said he picked up my copy of the Limited Edition from EB Games. I can sleep sound tonight knowing that I have the LE version.

Unfortunately, I'll be going crazy because I won't get to play it until I get back in town on Sunday. It's going to be a long three days.

whoowhee, i am so relieved! i preordered this from my local gamestop a few months ago and they saved the saga disc for me even though i picked up my mgs3:LE late in the evening! i wanted to buy an extra one but all the available copies were spoken for. ah well, i'm happy with what i got! :)

GUYS! WHEN YOU CREATE YOUR NAMES- PUT "[CAG]" before your name so when people search for names you can find each other with ease no matter what goofy server you're all spread out all over. We can get our friends lists going and always play with good people this way. We can also always password protect our games and lobbies because everyone from here will know the long term password is "Cheap" or something of that nature.

Gameplay online kicks ass, I've been playing with like 50 Penny Arcade guys (search [PA]) all night. Hopefully we can get our shit together here as well.

God damn it I need to get my PS2 to connect... are the modems that come with newer PS2s different than the ones you need for first generation PS2s or something? Cause my friend has a newer Playstation 2 (not the redesign) and I have a first gen and I stole his modem and can't get it to connect...

Man, i'm so bummed. I had a decision to make today and i'm still kicking myself in the ass for it. I'm sitting at school right now waiting for my next class so i'm not able to go home yet and buy the game. Most likely class won't let out early and I'll be forced to wait until tomorrow to buy which means my MGS Saga dvd will likely be taken by some mofo.

I wasn't able to pick it up earlier today because i had a paper that was stressing me out and due today so I chose to not go out and spend 20 some minutes that might help my paper. Correct decision but MAN i'm gonna be soooo pissed if they gave away my saga dvd today. I called ebgames and they said they'd have it on hold for me but with no guarantee that it wouldn't be given out. My LE is good but the Sagas one is iffy.

moral of the story: had my stupid paper been done by today than I could've gotten the enire set with no problems. Who know, there may still not be a problem but we'll see.

Congrats to those lucky bastards who have it already :lol:

On the Saga disc, there's a major MGS3 spoiler within the first 10 seconds of the Metal Gear 1 chapter. :( Now that I know, I'm downright amazed that I made it this far without knowing it.

I picked up my LE preorder today from EB Games and asked the guy about the bonus dvd. He had no clue what I was talking about. He stared at the back of the box and told me about the 3rd disc. I was like "that's not the preorder bonus"... and the guy said he would talk to the manager tomorrow and get back to me.

I guess they are all out of the Saga dvd's. :(

[quote name='SearchX']I picked up my LE preorder today from EB Games and asked the guy about the bonus dvd. He had no clue what I was talking about. He stared at the back of the box and told me about the 3rd disc. I was like "that's not the preorder bonus"... and the guy said he would talk to the manager tomorrow and get back to me.

I guess they are all out of the Saga dvd's. :([/QUOTE]

That sucks. Check out ebay, I got one for $9 shipped...although prices do seem to be getting higher for it...

[quote name='SearchX']I picked up my LE preorder today from EB Games and asked the guy about the bonus dvd. He had no clue what I was talking about. He stared at the back of the box and told me about the 3rd disc. I was like "that's not the preorder bonus"... and the guy said he would talk to the manager tomorrow and get back to me.

I guess they are all out of the Saga dvd's. :([/quote]

:roll:

That's only what makes the LE the LE. How can employees know dick about a high profile title like this?

[quote name='whoknows']That sucks. Check out ebay, I got one for $9 shipped...although prices do seem to be getting higher for it...[/QUOTE]

They're going as high as $30 in bids right now!

All I know is that the EB employee better not be hoarding the bonus discs and selling them on ebay. :mad:

The Gamestop I work at never got any of the Saga DVDs in. I was pretty disappointed at first since I had preordered the LE and really wanted the Saga DVD, but luckily our other store in town had some still in stock so I was able to snag one there.

[quote name='SearchX']They're going as high as $30 in bids right now!

All I know is that the EB employee better not be hoarding the bonus discs and selling them on ebay. :mad:[/QUOTE]

Haha, yeah they are getting pretty pricey. I got mine before the craziness started, but I didnt notice I won the auction until a few days ago...I kinda bid and never checked back because I thought I lost for sure...lucky I did check though :p

Auction I won: http://cgi.ebay.com/Metal-Gear-Saga...goryZ617QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[quote name='Vegan']Saga has nothing to do with the LE. Will people never figure this out?[/quote]
No shit Sherlock.

We never got any Saga DVDs. So no one who preordered either version could've gotten one. I just so happened to preorder the LE.

I went the regular edition route and picked up a copy at work today. Now I'll have to go find a cheap online adapter for my old-ass PS2.

[quote name='Vegan']I'm not playing MGS3 until I play MGS2, is what I meant. I have played the NES Metal Gear as a kid.

Yes, I realize MGS3 comes first chronologically, but I've been told by numerous people that it's more rewarding to play MGS2 before 3.[/quote]

Sounds good, MGS2 was a brilliant game. I haven't played MGS3 yet because I have been waiting for Subsistence to come out. And that time has finally arrived.

[quote name='Jonny Polychronopoulos']GUYS! WHEN YOU CREATE YOUR NAMES- PUT "[CAG]" before your name so when people search for names you can find each other with ease no matter what goofy server you're all spread out all over. We can get our friends lists going and always play with good people this way. We can also always password protect our games and lobbies because everyone from here will know the long term password is "Cheap" or something of that nature.

Gameplay online kicks ass, I've been playing with like 50 Penny Arcade guys (search [PA]) all night. Hopefully we can get our shit together here as well.[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea to me. You ought to create the official CAG Metal Gear Online thread.

[quote name='jfunkdpg']The Gamestop I work at never got any of the Saga DVDs in. I was pretty disappointed at first since I had preordered the LE and really wanted the Saga DVD, but luckily our other store in town had some still in stock so I was able to snag one there.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, that sucks. I called the manager of the EB Games store I preordered from, and he said that the store only received a total of 2 (!) copies of the Saga DVD and there were 10 pre-orders. That's insane.

I wonder if Konami will do a reprint just cause this is insane-- Saga DVDs and LEs running $150 on ebay.

[quote name='Apossum']I wonder if Konami will do a reprint just cause this is insane-- Saga DVDs and LEs running $150 on ebay.[/QUOTE]

I don't think its very likely that they will reprint it. They've touted this as a bonus for those that preordered so if they reprinted they would be effectively shitting all over us after the fact... I suppose anything is possible though.

Keep in mind that this is the same company that is sitting on the reprint goldmines that are Suikoden 2, Suikoden 1, and Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance.

Picked up the regular edition at Gamerush. They had just gotten their shipment, but no LE's. Oh well, I'm just glad I snagged one for nothing out of pocket.

so does the LE version just package the regular edition into a red box??

becoz I want to play now,

so Im thinking of jus buying the regular edition

then when my LE comes in, I will just return the game that comes inside of it.

[quote name='JEKKI']so does the LE version just package the regular edition into a red box??

becoz I want to play now,

so Im thinking of jus buying the regular edition

then when my LE comes in, I will just return the game that comes inside of it.[/quote]
What if the game inside isn't sealed? Mine hasn't arrived so I don't know for sure.

The red box is a bigger box that contains the regular edition of Subsistence, and Existence is in a separate DVD case. The games inside are NOT sealed. The red box is.

[quote name='Vegan']The red box is a bigger box that contains the regular edition of Subsistence, and Existence is in a separate DVD case. The games inside are NOT sealed. The red box is.[/QUOTE]
Someone must've opened yours because mine were sealed:

dsc003933tl.jpg

[quote name='jasonlives13']Someone must've opened yours because mine were sealed:

[/quote]

Mine were sealed too and this game is incredibly fun.

Yeah, mine were sealed too. :)

Anyway, I'm enjoying Online play quite a bit. My name is Calorie Mate, and I usually play on Meryl (or Liquid, if there aren't many people in Meryl). I don't have a headset yet, but it's supposed to arrive tomorrow, so say hi if you see me! I wish more people had them (like with XBL games).

So far, I think Capture is my favorite mode...it seems much more frantic than other capture-the-flag type games I've played before.

And I had a UDP error at first too, so it wouldn't let me created games - you have to assign a static IP to your PS2 through your router, and open the required ports (check Gamefaqs forums *shudders* for the ports, I can't remember them) for that static IP.

[quote name='evanft']Soo....how much does the new camera affect gameplay?[/QUOTE]

Seems great for the online play, but the pace of single player seems altered. Before, you had to take it slow and constantly check your surroundings; now you can see further ahead while moving, which would probably mean less sneaking for a lot of people.

[quote name='Vegan']The red box is a bigger box that contains the regular edition of Subsistence, and Existence is in a separate DVD case. The games inside are NOT sealed. The red box is.[/quote]

Mine are sealed.

bread's done
Back