Mirror's Edge - Out November 11 - Demo Out Now!

Although I thought the demo was awesome and am really looking forward to playing this game, I don't think it's a purchase for me. I think this game is the ultimate rental and I do believe everyone should play this as it is something different that has never been done before. This game demands not to be ignored!!!

[quote name='TheMoor']Although I thought the demo was awesome and am really looking forward to playing this game, I don't think it's a purchase for me. I think this game is the ultimate rental and I do believe everyone should play this as it is something different that has never been done before. This game demands not to be ignored!!![/quote]

And that's not enough of a reason to buy it? I gather you're probably speaking in terms of the alleged length of the game, but that brings back the movie/meal argument again. A lot of people pay $9-10 to see a movie that lasts 90 minutes. Many people pay $30 to eat a meal that they enjoy for 30-45 minutes.

While I would prefer the game to be well thought out, with a developed story, the main objective is enjoying the experience. There is such a thing as being too long as well. After all, we've all experienced both movies and meals that have gone on much longer than we would have liked them to.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']And that's not enough of a reason to buy it? I gather you're probably speaking in terms of the alleged length of the game, but that brings back the movie/meal argument again. A lot of people pay $9-10 to see a movie that lasts 90 minutes. Many people pay $30 to eat a meal that they enjoy for 30-45 minutes.

While I would prefer the game to be well thought out, with a developed story, the main objective is enjoying the experience. There is such a thing as being too long as well. After all, we've all experienced both movies and meals that have gone on much longer than we would have liked them to.[/QUOTE]

No, i meant as I don't personally see myself playing it again after my first run through which is why I said it would be a rental for me...no need for me to spend $60+tax when I could enjoy the full experience with $6 to rent it. So there goes your movie/meal argument out the window. This is my opinion, but at the same time I think (based on the demo) that everyone should experience the awesomeness that is Mirror's Edge, even if it is only for a rental.

anybody try the time trials? (if you haven't preordered, get the code from Frisky's link a page back)

I tried a few times and got a final time of 56.xx seconds, but my ranking is still around 360 which was my first try which ended at 1:40 or so. Anybody know how to update rankings? I want my name up on the board lol

[quote name='TheMoor']Although I thought the demo was awesome and am really looking forward to playing this game, I don't think it's a purchase for me. I think this game is the ultimate rental and I do believe everyone should play this as it is something different that has never been done before. This game demands not to be ignored!!![/QUOTE]

Messed up. EA finally does something innovative instead of churning out another sports sequel, but you don't think it's worth supporting. I guess EA well be going back to infinite sequels after this fails.

I played thru a few times. The demo is stupid short when you skip the tutorial. Feels like a 1st person assassins creed to me. I can see this getting very boring very fast. The free feeling really isn't there for me. They mask it with rooftops that you can't get to and the open feeling of being up high. I hate the convex sticks on the ps3 controller. I kept having to readjust my thumbs cause they were slipping off. I will try the 360 version tonight to see if I notice any differences.

[quote name='imascrub']anybody try the time trials? (if you haven't preordered, get the code from Frisky's link a page back)

I tried a few times and got a final time of 56.xx seconds, but my ranking is still around 360 which was my first try which ended at 1:40 or so. Anybody know how to update rankings? I want my name up on the board lol[/QUOTE]

YES. God they're a fucking bitch, aren't they? But that's the beauty of it, once your objective is to complete a level as fast and flawless as possible instead of simply trying to survive, you start looking for new paths and get that feeling of actually being a runner. It's just god damn brilliant.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Wow! Only $6 for a rental??? Where are you getting that deal, via delorean? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Guess it's been a while since I rented a game from a B&M...I use gamefly. Just for the hell of it, I called BBV and they quoted $8.99...didn't realize it had gone up so much :lol:

[quote name='TheMoor']Guess it's been a while since I rented a game from a B&M...I use gamefly. Just for the hell of it, I called BBV and they quoted $8.99...didn't realize it had gone up so much :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, see. Now it's worth buying! haha ;)

Wow, i was semi-excited for the game when all the hype was out about it. I saw some gameplay footage and it still didnt blow me away, but playing the demo sold me on this. It is absoultely stellar, and the best part hands down is hitting a door to go through it. That scenario looks just mind blowing and feels great. I died a lot in the tutorial, but once i got into the game i got a decent grip on the controls and pulled off some amazing jumps and stunts. DAY ONE.

I always thought the game looked amazing and the demo solidifies this as a day one purchase. Amazing game. Props to EA for doing something different.

This game is friggen awesome. I'm not gonna read any comments, cause I don't want to hear anything negative about it till I beat it. Cause I friggen love it... has a chance to be my favorite game of all time.

everything about the 360 version is identical. My thumbs stay on the controller better. I got bored with the time trials pretty quickly. I honestly don't see what everyone is raving about.

I tried the demo, but couldn't get through the tutorial - kept getting hung up on the part that teaches you how to soft land (hold L2 or rotate controller forward after jumping) - kept dying every single time (I tried at least 30 times).

Then I skipped to the meat of the demo, and could not figure out what to do once I reached the first objective... again, tried like 20 times but kept getting iced every time (eventually - sometimes within 3 seconds, sometimes I stretched it out to a minute).

Sorry, but this just came off my wish list. I do appreciate the uniqueness of the game, and I really really like the head bobbing - I feel that that is the one thing that prevents me from getting motion sick when playing any FPS (i.e., I get extremely bad nausea playing any Half-Life game due to no head bobbing, but the Battlefield series I get zero due to realistic head bob). So maybe I'll give the demo another try, but for now, there's too much else for me to keep on the list... definitely an after-holiday buy, at best.

[quote name='guyjr']I tried the demo, but couldn't get through the tutorial - kept getting hung up on the part that teaches you how to soft land (hold L2 or rotate controller forward after jumping) - kept dying every single time (I tried at least 30 times).

Then I skipped to the meat of the demo, and could not figure out what to do once I reached the first objective... again, tried like 20 times but kept getting iced every time (eventually - sometimes within 3 seconds, sometimes I stretched it out to a minute).

Sorry, but this just came off my wish list. I do appreciate the uniqueness of the game, and I really really like the head bobbing - I feel that that is the one thing that prevents me from getting motion sick when playing any FPS (i.e., I get extremely bad nausea playing any Half-Life game due to no head bobbing, but the Battlefield series I get zero due to realistic head bob). So maybe I'll give the demo another try, but for now, there's too much else for me to keep on the list... definitely an after-holiday buy, at best.[/quote]
You push L2 as you land to roll, which works fine for me.

First objective? There's only one in the story level, to get the bag to the other runner, which leaves you to just jump off the building and grab onto the helicopter to finish the level.

[quote name='Malik112099']everything about the 360 version is identical. My thumbs stay on the controller better. I got bored with the time trials pretty quickly. I honestly don't see what everyone is raving about.[/QUOTE]

Your thumbs really slip off the sticks? That's never happened to me. You must have some sweaty-ass hands!

This demo was amazing. I just may have to pick this up, or at least rent it. That little dot in the middle actually does a lot in the way of keeping you from being sick. I turned it off, and felt the motion a lot more. This game is so badass!

[quote name='guyjr']I tried the demo, but couldn't get through the tutorial - kept getting hung up on the part that teaches you how to soft land (hold L2 or rotate controller forward after jumping) - kept dying every single time (I tried at least 30 times).

Sorry, but this just came off my wish list. I do appreciate the uniqueness of the game, and I really really like the head bobbing - I feel that that is the one thing that prevents me from getting motion sick when playing any FPS (i.e., I get extremely bad nausea playing any Half-Life game due to no head bobbing, but the Battlefield series I get zero due to realistic head bob). So maybe I'll give the demo another try, but for now, there's too much else for me to keep on the list... definitely an after-holiday buy, at best.[/quote]

hint: Try going through the entire tutorial so you learn how to disarm and fight.

hint 2: Read the instructions a little more carefully. I'm not trying to be an ass here, because I misread the first time too and died a couple times. Everything turned out fine once I read it carefully.

I like the game, I just gotta get used to using the walls with the combat. As long as they vary the places / stages, then I think I'll enjoy the game.

I really enjoyed the demo and have been looking out for this game since it has been announced, but the cheapass inside me doesn't want to pay full price :lol:

The demo was pretty fun and lived up to the previous videos as far as I'm concerned. I'll be picking this up via Goozex though I can already say that I know myself well enough to know that I won't take the time to really master the controls to the point where I'll get maximum enjoyment out of it and give up about 70% through the game when I get to a point that I can't get past.

Mirror's Edge fascinates me in the same way that Assassin's Creed did. I'm sure the story and gameplay will be entertaining enough, but I've had a lot more fun exploring the levels and figuring out faster/different routes.

wow i love this game :D.I checked out that Spanish site says this "Lo sentimos, claves agotadas.". according to babel fish it means "We felt, exhausted keys". my guess is that they are out of time trial keys. anybody know of and other ways to get free keys without preordering from gs.

dood this game is fukkyn SKILLZ

like, I was kinda interested when I saw it but not too compelled, so I decided to try out the demo...

I definitely see this game as something I would wanna get hella good at and shut everybody down in.

anyway, hella pre-ordering this shyt tomorrow

[quote name='JEKKI']

anyway, hella pre-ordering this shyt tomorrow[/QUOTE]

I need to go preorder this and Valkyrie Chronicles tomorrow.

Hmmm, after playing the demo I'm more interested in this game than before. I didn't really expect much and watching gameplay vids didn't really make me interested, but once I got the moves down (which was much easier than expected), I had a lot of fun, I was just bummed the demo was so short and I hope it's not a foreshadowing of the game's actual length.

Hopefully Gamestop still offers the bags tomorrow >_

[quote name='Megalith']If I'm not mistaken, this game has lossless audio, as my receiver is showing MPCM.[/quote]
It def. has 7.1.

I liked the time trial mode more than the actual story part of the demo.
I'm addicted to good time trial modes like this.

Freaking loved the demo, will be buying it day one. Controls feel much better on PS3 rather than the 360, so I will be getting it on PS3.

[quote name='GodlyOne']I don't remember but doesn't the PS3 and 360 each have it's own exclusive Mirror's Edge DLC?[/quote]
I believe exclusive DLC for PS3, none for 360.

At first I hated it. After giving it another shot and playing it for a bit, I really like it. I probably won't pick it up for a bit, but it's cool.

This seems to be a great game (albeit short I heard). The EB Games deal with the messenger bag is really tempting but I feel better served waiting and getting a deal on black friday. Thoughts?

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']I wish there were pictures of the artbook you get from CC..[/quote]

I thought the book you got with the game at CC was the first issue of the comic.

[quote name='AleetPanda']This seems to be a great game (albeit short I heard). The EB Games deal with the messenger bag is really tempting but I feel better served waiting and getting a deal on black friday. Thoughts?[/quote]I don't ever remember good video game deals on Black Friday.

I think I'm going to be getting this the day it releases, though completing the game without shooting anyone might be difficult.

Just played the demo yesterday, and it definitely sparked an interest that wasn't there before. The gameplay was really fun and the controls worked extremely well. I'm just concerned that it'll be a one trick pony, and a short one at that. I think I'll be buying this, but not until it's considerably cheaper than $60 (a short game without any significant multiplayer components makes me hesitant to put out that much money).

I just hope this doesn't take the Heavenly Sword/Gears of War route where price drops seemed nonexistent.

[quote name='GodlyOne']I think I'm going to be getting this the day it releases, though completing the game without shooting anyone might be difficult.[/quote]

I don't know, from the demo I found the gun combat to be kind of clunky myself. It was much easier to just disarm someone or take them out with a jump kick to the head. And since combat isn't even encouraged most of the time, I imagine this might be pretty easy to do. I'm personally more worried about going through the entire game without getting shot, as one stray bullet could ruin your whole run.

Definitely a good demo, I liked the look of the game but wasn't particularly interested in it, but the demo sold me on the game, although I'll probably wait til the price drops a bit. I did feel a bit frustrated at times about where to go next but at the same time it kept me sucked in until I figured it out.

Weapon/gun stuff was definitely the worst part of the experience, I usually ended up trying to outrun them...

bread's done
Back