MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

I guess he's just that much of a god in Russia that he doesn't need UFC fame
It is just that his good buddy is the dictator of Chchnya - Ramzan Kadyrov.

Kadyroy loves MMA almost as much as he loves torture and murder.

Kadyrov also had goons beat up Fedor's daughter and send her to the hospital because Fedor criticized having a full contact children MMA event (which Kadyrov's son of course won).

Khabib has some questionable friends out there. Aside from Kadyrov, he has also received lots of very expensive gifts and tokens from Russian billionaire businessmen.

Was kind of sad to see Vitor lose tonight - but not really unexpected. He wants one more fight, but I don't know who they can give him tin the top 10 that makes sense. I don't think he could beat any of them, except maybe Bisping.

Bisping also in the post fight show was saying he could use an easy fight for a title defense since he fights the best. lol

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzOou476DhQ[/youtube]

And then that video led me to this...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHaW1kl3oNg[/youtube]

That guy is hilarious, man. The awkwardly long hug at the end was great. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
UFC decided to let Ryan Bader go to Bellator.

That is a crazy decision that they just let their #5 LHW take off. He beats pretty much everyone else in the division who isn't top 5.

I don't blame him for leaving though since they skipped over him with his deserved title shot to give another one to Gustaf (right after he was blasted by Johnson in the 1st round). Maybe they will let Shogun fight for the title again next.

Wow...you know what, fuck Chris Weidman for that bullshit fight. If that's not proof that any form of "my hands are down" is complete and utter bullshit, I don't know what is. A "downed opponent" needs to be an opponent with at least one knee touching the ground. Period. You shouldn't just be able to put your hands on the mat and leave your face hanging out like an idiot. There shouldn't have even been a question if it was legal when the bottoms of both of Weidman's feet were flat on the mat. How the hell can you be "down" when you're standing? So freaking stupid.

I mean, it was handled horribly, but again, that shows how dumb the rule is. If anything, as soon as they determine the knee was legal (which they said there's no replay system...so, really...how can they even do that?), Chris should have been told to get up and fight. But Rogan was definitely right. If you give Weidman 5 minutes...then he ends up winning the fight...you have even more problems. And they're trying to say Miragliota "made a mistake", but my God...maybe don't have referees trying to judge if somebody's fingernails are grazing the mat or not. Bullshit technicalities have no place in cage fighting.

And now Rumble is trying to grapple with DC...Jesus H Christ...

Good God, that was pathetic. Please come back and stop being a fuck up, Jon Jones. I can't take people playing right into Cormier's strengths like this. Might as well be WWE.

Terrible end to that card. Main and Co-main were awful.

Next PPV is ridiculously stacked. It better not disappoint.

Weird night of fights.

Weidman vs Gregard

It was 100% not Weidman's fault. He is not at blame at all. He was following the rules as far as he knew and the referee stopped it, not him. Once they figured it out though - the fighters should've have been put back into position and told to continue. Instead the doctors played around and all kinds of crazy stuff.

Weidman was hurt, but it didn't seem like it was on the verge of being stopped. So I feel bad for both fighters. It was a good fight, and both had their moments. Obviously Weidman got it worse, but it was weird.

Rubmle vs Cormier

Another bizarre fight. Rumble had 100% the worse gameplan possible. The exact opposite. He needed to do the McGregor vs Diaz strategy - not try to wrestle the much better wrestler.

Then Rumble drops the bomb about retiring, and it makes me wonder if Rumble was already one foot out the door and just didn't care.

Add in Rumble's coaches and the whole thing is insane. Rumble just lost and was retiring and his coaches pretty much stormed out and abandoned him. They were already gone and in the back and just left him out there. No matter how pissed they were at the fight they should be out there with their fighter after a match. fuck the Blackzillian coaches and Henri Hooft. A team is supposed to be a family and even beyond that, Rumble pays them all.

Finally during the post fight, one of the questions asked if Dana/UFC would let Rumble go play football in the NFL. Like where did that come from?

Rumble changed his main picture on twitter to that of a LA Rams helmet. Could he actually be going to the NFL with no real football experience?

Edit: Right after this Rumble posted on twitter "No you knuckleheads I'm not playing for the Rams... Are you crazy?!"

Guess that takes care of that rumor.

Oh yeah - I forgot about Cormier cheating to make weight. Leaning on the towel to get that last 1.2 pounds off. That was straight up cheating and even in the post fight he didn't deny it. Someone asked as question saying how Jon Jones said that was some of the most blatant cheating he's ever seen and what was Cormier's response to the whole controversy. Cormier just said pot calling the kettle black.

I like Cormier, but he 100% cheated to make weight. Can't believe the NY official didn't stop him. He goes on the scale and weighs 1.2 lbs over. He gets off walks away for 2 minutes and then goes back on and braces his hands on take just a little bit of weight off so he could squeeze under. Very dirty.

I mean, sure...Weidman was trying to take advantage of a legitimate rule. But it shows how easily that rule becomes murky. It's a dumb rule that has nothing to do with fighter safety. Calling somebody a "downed opponent" because he puts his hands on the floor rather than defending the position is just dumb. And because of that rule, Weidman ends up thinking Mousasi cheated and struck him "while he was down".

I just can't feel bad for him when he was clearly trying to take advantage of a technicality...especially when Mousasi did the right thing. It's a tough loss. But add it to the list of Chris Weidman's Bad Ideas...right behind the wheel kick he threw at Rockhold.

But I agree, Cormier's weigh in move was bullshit. I'm telling you, man. The way these fights keep going just justifies all the shit that Conor does and the money he makes. Why is it that nobody else can seem to have a decent PPV?

Re: Weidman.
I kept hearing that he said he could not continue upon the first question when they thought it was illegal.
Then, after they said it was legal, he said he could continue.
I couldn't swear he said it, but, looking at other forums, they are saying that Chris did not know what day it was and that is why the fight was called.

Either way, I did not like Chris complaining about the knee(s) to get out of a bad situation.  I mean, it looked like he had little chance of getting out of it and those knees looked pretty brutal.

Edit:
https://champions.co/p/chris-weidman-didnt-know-what-day-or-month-it-was-after-mousasi-knee-ufc-210/4243558?utm_source=fb-channel-champions&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=chris-weidman-didnt-know-what-day-or-month-it-was-after-mousasi-knee

I read somewhere about him not knowing what month it was - but unless we hear something official I'm going to go with that the fighters should've been put back into the position and told to continue.

I'm not even a Weidman fan (I really wanted Machida to beat him when he was pouring it on the last two rounds of their fight), but even though those knees looked bad he might've been able to survive them and should've been given the chance. Of course if he really didn't know what was going on, then he was better off being saved by the doctors.

Man - I found the transcript from Rumble's corner and it is just crazy. His team was getting so angry because he was not following the game plan and not listening.

I still think it was a big dick move to walk out at the end of the fight, but I can't imagine watching the gameplan go right down the toilet. It really seemed like Rumble threw the fight. Not throw like he cheated with made a plan about it, but just didn't give a damn and wanted out.

Round 1
Voice: Take your time. Nice. Take your time. Don’t take him down.

Hooft: Don’t wrestle him.

Voice: If you’re going to go, go single.

Hooft: You don’t have to wrestle him, AJ. Just relax.

Voice: Don’t wrestle him.

Hooft: Get out of there. Get out of there.

Grappling coach Neil Melanson: OK, stud. Now, let’s get your hands hot.

Voice: Why is he wrestling him?

Hooft: This is stupid.

Voice: Why is he wrestling him?

Hooft: (Expletive) it, man. Just get off the cage.

Voice: Get out of there.

Voice: Why isn’t he listening?

(Johnson and Cormier are broken up by referee John McCarthy, and Johnson lands kicks.)

Voice: He’s tired already, DC. He doesn’t need to do this.

Voice: Why isn’t he listening?

Hooft: I don’t know why he’s doing that. We have no (expletive) eyes.

Break between Round 1 and Round 2
Hooft: Can you tell me why you’re wrestling? Now, you’re not going to wrestle. You take your distance. Stay away, two steps away. Why are you so worried about everything? The kicks and the knees are really good, but no kicks. Where’s your hands?

Voice: You’re doing great. Don’t (expletive) wrestle him.

Hooft: If you stand your distance, it’s an easy game. Why make it difficult?

Round 2
Hooft: Movement. Athletic. Movement. That’s it. Take your distance.

(Johnson reverses against the cage and goes for another takedown)

Hooft: You need distance.

Hooft: I’m not saying nothing.

(Cormier has Johnson on the mat and is setting up a choke)

Hooft: It’s going the same as last time.

(Johnson submits to Cormier via rear-naked choke)

Hooft: Why, why the (expletive) does this happen every (expletive) time, man? Crazy.

Yeah, it's messed up that they left him in there by himself. But I'm guessing it was to prove a point. If you're not going to listen to your coaches, why have coaches? The amount of time and energy they probably put into this fight, for it to just go that way...I can understand being pissed off. But if it's the guy's last fight (which Rumble says they knew about), you'd think they'd just swallow that shit and just be happy they didn't have to deal with him again.

This thread has gone quiet - so who is going to win tomorrow night?

JDS vs Stipe - I'm going to go with JDS. First fight was super close with JDS rightfully taking the win. Stipe has been on a tear since then but is still very hittable. Overeem caught hum flush in their fight and dropped him. JDS also looked like he was back on the right track after his last fight and seemed much more light on his feet and mobile. So because of those two things I'm going to with JDS, but definitely wouldn't be surprised if Stipe wins.

Demian vs Masvidal - I hope Demian wins because he deserves a title shot already after absolutely dominating Gunnar, Magny, Matt Brown, and Carlos Condit. Sometimes things don't work out like with Jacare a few weeks back. I knew Whittaker was dangerous but was surprised how he shut down Jacare. Same thing could potentially happen to Demian, but I'm going with him for the win.

Seems like GSP vs. Bisping is out for now and we are doing Romero vs. Bisping. I thought Bisping had a very good chance against a GSP who was moving up a class and had been retired for 4 years, but Romero has looked scary recently. KO'ing Kennedy, Machida and Weidman. Bisping has also looked extremely hittable against Dan Henderson and Anderson Silva. Even though Bisping won those razor close fight, he looked like someone had taken a hammer to his face. Dan almost finished him multiple times, and Silva wanted the walk away KO so he left a pretty much unconscious Bisping on the ground. I give it to Romero unless Bisping can drag it out to the 4th and 5th round with a completely exhausted Romero.

If Romero wins I'd be surprised if GSP came back for a title shot. GSP won't be able to outwrestle a bigger, stronger, more explosive silver medalist. I think GSP would look for some other type of superfight or maybe back to welterweight.

So Rumble announced why he left MMA - wants to get into the marijuana business lol.

Thoughts on Saturday night:

I think JDS is likely done challenging for the title. He seems to have taken a step back the last few years and just immediately walks back and leans on the cage. That is where Cain destroyed him and now Stipe did. JDS landed a few awesome leg kicks. If he kept circling away and landed a few more of those he probably could've taken the win by severely slowing down Stipe since Stipe was limping at the end of the fight. I think any high level aggressive striker is just going to bully JDS from now on. He will likely still win against grappling oriented guys like Barnett because of his high level takedown defense but other guys are just going to back him up against the cage and punish him.

Stipe is in a weird situation for me, where even with these awesome wins I still wonder about him. Overeem had him very hurt and JDS had him limping after about 2 minutes. I'd like to see a rematch against Werdum (since Werdum had a massive brain fart the first fight) or a match against Cain (if he is ever healthy enough again). After that they better start pushing Black Beast and Francis Nganou or they will be out of interesting matches.

Damien is going to get his title shot. It wasn't pretty, but he did what he had to do.

I still think Frankie Edgar could be McGregor - featherweight or lightweight. The only person who seems to have his number is Jose Aldo.

Bisping still trying to weasel his way out of fighting any top 10 fighter to try and hold on to the big potential payday against GSP.

He is going on about how the GSP fight should still be next at the end of the year. He understands the frustrations of the fans and fighters, but "“It’s a blessing in disguise because I can’t fight anytime soon. I can’t exercise, I can’t train. My knee is giving me many, many problems. It was doing it in Thailand, it’s still getting no better. . . So long story short, what I’m getting at is I’m not going to be ready to fight anytime soon so again, that’s another reason why this plays into the perfect scenario for me.”"

So he won the title just about a year ago and then defended the title against Dan Henderson in October. Dan was ranked #13 at the time and in his retirement fight. Since then Bisping has done nothing and may not be back until November/December due to lingering knee issues.

Bisping is one of the crappiest champions that I can think of in recent times. There are rumors of Matt Hughes potentially coming back - maybe he can comeback and move up to middle weight to fight Bisping next too.

Seriously pathetic. She hit a girl she probably outweighs by 50lbs. Suspend her and fold the stupid 145lbs division. 125 makes way more sense anyway. Big girls at 115 can go up and small girls at 135 can go down.

And of course, the obvious joke here is "roid rage". She's becoming the female Jon Jones...but without ever actually having any real accomplishments or challenging fights.

I don't know if they're re-airing the UFC Singapore card tonight, so I'll put this in spoilers just in case...

Holly Holm got another "highlight reel KO", lol. She "feels out" Bethe Correia (BETHE FREAKING CORREIA) for two rounds, before Marc Goddard steps in to tell the ladies "you have to do something". Then Correia just runs right into a shin in the face. So, again...Holly can only look impressive if somebody runs into her strikes like a moron.

No way in hell does she beat Shevchenko or Nunes fighting like that. I don't get it. She has a reach advantage and alllll that striking experience, and she just sits back and waits. I saw her dumb ass manager was saying if she won this fight, she should get a title shot too. Of course, lol. In a way, I'd love to see Shevchenko win the belt and then watch her slap Holm around again with actual striking ability.

I mean, at least Correia has contributed this to women's MMA.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cga2RNMQBk[/youtube]

I'm just sayin...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2IujRqyLFk[/youtube]

What a crazy weeked off stuff.

Bellator:

Phil Davis and Bader have a repeat of one of the most boring fights possible.

Chandler rolls his ankle immediately and the fight is stopped.

Fedor and Mitrione almost KO eachother with the first punch of the night, but it ends with Fedor being laid out.

Pico who is supposed to be the biggest thing ever (with a Nike sponsorship before his first professional fight and was signed by Bellator like 3 years ago but allowed time to prepare for his MMA career and stardom) gets stopped in 20 seconds.during his first professional fight.

Chael and Wanderlei both need to retire. Then Chael calls out Fedor.

UFC:

BJ Penn needs to retire after that beat down.

Hendricks needs to retire after that beat down and for missing weight in a new weight class (hah).

Referee stopped the fight when Chisea was still awake. He may not have been able to escape, but there was like 15 seconds left and he was shifting the right direction. Pretty crappy way to end the night.

And finally - the highlight of the night was Kish crapping herself in her fight. That was pretty nasty - I've seen some suspicious marks on people pants in the UFC before (Big Tim and Romero) but never just a big case of shits spread over the mat. Extra nasty.

It was a bad stoppage, but there was still over 20 seconds left and it looked like it was heading in that direction. Still a bad call. Pretty disappointing fight.

Was Chisea going to survive or get out? Probably not, but he should've been given every chance to get out. And it also robbed Lee of getting the tap out or choking him out.  I'm sure the ref thought he was out, but he was wrong. Sucks for both guys. It was also only the first round, so if Chisea did survive til the end it would've been nice to see how the rest played out.

Daaaamn, Manuwa got starched!

As excited as I am about this card, I wish Cerrone/Lawler had been rescheduled as the main event of a different card. We really deserved for that fight to be five rounds. The UFC completely blew that one.

*sigh* I wish Cyborg would ever fight a legitimate challenger. Tonya Evinger is ridiculous. I seriously doubt she could even beat Ronda. She only lasted that long because Cyborg was being patient and relishing the moment.

And apparently, Tyron Woodley is content to be the Floyd Mayweather of the UFC. People used to give GSP shit about being boring, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anybody fight as defensively as Woodley has been lately. I guess in some ways, he dominates by not allowing his opponent to do anything. But he has to understand that it creates a situation where it's barely a fight. At least GSP would jab a wrestler to death, or repeatedly put a striker on their ass. Woodley just avoids the entire fight.

Please don't let us down Jones/DC...

WOOOOO! Did not disappoint! :lol: Jones brutalized Cormier. Wow.

Pissed at Rogan though for interviewing DC after that. He even talked about hating doing it...then he does it anyway. Then he points out afterward what a terrible idea it was. I feel like he owes DC an apology and then should really refuse to interview fighters after they get devastated like that. And if the UFC brass has a problem with it, he should just stick to his podcast. That was just painful to watch...worse than the KO.

I have to watch the fight over again, but I had Cerrone winning. It was 1-1 going into the third, but I thought Cerrone took the 3rd. 

Also apparently GSP vs Bisping is back on even though Dana White said the winner of Woodley v Maia would get GSP, but I guess after that boring fight it led to that decision. 

I don't know. I'm a Cowboy fan, and I thought the 3rd round felt decidedly different from the 2nd. Lawler turned it back on, and he hurt Cerrone with that body kick. After that, Cerrone started shooting weak takedowns and just didn't look nearly as comfortable as he did in the 2nd. I think the fight was too close to say anybody got "robbed". I honestly would have been happy with a draw to force an instant rematch...as a 5 round main event. Having that fight be only 3 rounds cheated us all.

As for Bisping - GSP, Dana is right. Bisping will actually fight. So, why not give him the payday instead of Woodley? As much as Woodley has talked about wanting "super fights", he acts like he has no obligation to make the fight interesting. I saw at the post fight press conference, somebody even asked Dana about Woodley being "like Mayweather". But there has to be something about the guy to make people care. I don't even think people DISLIKE Woodley enough to care.

And same thing with GSP, some people thought he was a boring fighter...but he was always extremely likable. If Woodley wants to be strategic and calculated like GSP, great. So, jab Maia to death, use your power to bust him up, and shut down what he wants to do. There's no shame in outpointing him. But there is shame in not trying to score points at all. If you look at it round by round, Woodley only outlanded Maia by 2-3 punches each round. That's just ridiculous. He can't perform like that and then be shocked that the big money fights aren't rolling in.

Good night of fights.

Happy to see that guy beat Manuwa. Manuwa has never super impressed me and it seems like they are always just trying to push him when he isn't ready or capable.

I agree with the Lawler decision. It was close but I gave it to Lawler.

Woodley vs Maia was about as bad as could ever be expected. I blame that mostly on Woodley though. Maia kept coming forward, would try to strike and go for takedowns. He just has crappy striking and couldn't get the takedowns at all. Woodley could've turned it up any time and potentially finished him but he didn't want to commit at all and would never even think of following him down if he hurt him. It was definitely the safest way possible but made for an extremely boring fight. I wasn't sure Maia would be able to get him down, but was hoping. Woodley is a strong wrestler and a very good base and a low center of gravity. Maia taking down Gunnar, Condit, and Brown and dominating them was impressive but getting those guys down is a lot easier than Woodley. To bad Condit got beat by Maia since I think he would beat Woodley.

Cyborg was as expected. A division completely made for her with nobody else in it. They were talking about about Holly moving up to fight her, etc. It just seems crazy to make a division for one fighter and now she is the champ of a division that she is the only person in.

DC and Jones was really good. Jones took the 1st, DC the 2nd and then the head kick. Felt bad for DC since he seemed to be picking up steam but that is the way it goes. The other problem is now the division is cleaned out - they could go with Volkan (but he has no name recognition at all) or a rematch with Gus. Gus is probably the fight to make since he gave Jones his toughest fight yet but it is hard giving Gus another shot after losing to Jones, Rumble and DC in the last two years. I do think Gus has a better chance than most to beat Jones since the last fight showed Jones does not know how to handle someone the same size as him. He was not prepared for similar height and reach and it showed in that razor close fight that half the people think Gus won. I'm sure Jones would prepare correctly this time, but it would be interesting.

Don't know why Rogan interviewed DC. I'm not saying don't interview any fighter who has be KO'd or TKO'd but take it by a case by case basis. Cormier was obviously confused and agitated running around the ring, so lets shove a microphone in his face.

Weird that there are no big fights until September now. There is Connor vs Floyd - blargh

man hope he's not that stupid. also let's be honest cormier ain't no real champ, he's more of a runner up/silver medalist
Jones should be given the chance to prove himself innocent - but if it comes out that he cheated again then his career is pretty much done. Going by the rules, the recommended suspension is 4 years. I would think (and they should) throw the book at him to show that no single fighter is above the rules.

Also that would have to make Cormier the real champ. Cormier showed up clean to fight while Jones cheated and was caught (again). Would Jones be the real champ if he was caught cheating some other way? intentionally poking the eyes (more than he usually does), intentional low blows, or using loaded gloves? How many times can someone be caught cheating and still be the real champ?

I was one of the biggest Jon Jones fans, and completely saw him as the greatest fighter ever. But he's messed up his career worse than Mike Tyson at this point. Tyson was freaking more innocent than Jones has been the past 3 years. I mean, go all the way back to the first Cormier fight and the "out of competition" drug test. This is his THIRD failed drug test. Throw in the legal issues on top of that, and I don't know how he doesn't become the frontrunner for biggest waste of talent in sports history.

The dumbest thing is he's such a freak athlete, you have to wonder how much steroids even help him. I've seen people say "The only reason he ever won a fight is clearly because of steroids". Right...clearly that person has no clue how steroids work. They don't account for Jon's agility, his speed, his fight IQ, his creativity, etc. Did they help keep him stronger than DC? Possibly. And that sucks. It sucks that Jones is so mentally weak that he can't trust his ability and his hard work and his team to be enough to get the job done.

The really sad part is it's hard to even know if it's just Jones. People go right back to calling Anderson Silva the GOAT...but somehow fail to remember that he got popped for steroids as well. But most people just brushed it off because "oh, he's old now". But it begs the question of whether more fighters are turning to PEDs or if the testing is just better and catching people more now. A guy like Anderson may have just benefitted from timing. He may have been no different from Jones, but was just fortunate that the era he thrived in wasn't under the same scrutiny as MMA is today.

I guess we'll see what the B sample says, but I'll be shocked if it comes back different. Things like this don't tend to accidentally happen...let alone to the same guy this many times. Jones can't just be the boy who cried "boner pills" all the time.

Mayweather won as expected, but what was unexpected is McGregor lasting to the 10th. Than again that was Mayweather plan and it also doesn't look good that the best in the world need 10 rounds to defeat an amatuer.

In the end Mayweather got his 50-0 and McGregor got his payday. A win-win situation for both parties.

Mayweather won as expected, but what was unexpected is McGregor lasting to the 10th. Than again that was Mayweather plan and it also doesn't look good that the best in the world need 10 rounds to defeat an amatuer.

In the end Mayweather got his 50-0 and McGregor got his payday. A win-win situation for both parties.
The only payday that was easier was against Ortiz. Mayweather was on cruise control until the 8th and didn't need 10 rounds to get the job done. He decided that it was better to go to 10 instead of decision after 12, which is what would've happened if Mayweather started dominating at 3 like he usually does. McGregor should've been penalized for all those hammers and keeping his arm out for 9 rounds like Khan did. Good call on the ref to stop the fight though.

Easy money for Mayweather.

The only payday that was easier was against Ortiz. Mayweather was on cruise control until the 8th and didn't need 10 rounds to get the job done. He decided that it was better to go to 10 instead of decision after 12, which is what would've happened if Mayweather started dominating at 3 like he usually does. McGregor should've been penalized for all those hammers and keeping his arm out for 9 rounds like Khan did. Good call on the ref to stop the fight though.

Easy money for Mayweather.
Well, I'd say Mayweather played it smart. I've seen a bunch of people saying stuff like "He could have ended it in the 1st round if he wanted to!" But the whole point of the gameplan was wearing McGregor out so that his punches didn't have anything on them anymore. If Floyd had come out aggressive from the get go, when Conor was fresh, he could have gotten countered with something very hard.

So, I have no qualms with saying Mayweather outclassed McGregor, but I think it's disingenuous to act like McGregor was never a threat at all. Had Floyd fought the first rounds like he did at the end, things could have gotten crazy. But he was very smart, tactical, and disciplined about it. It was a perfect gameplan, perfectly executed.

And say what you want about hammerfists, but Floyd also threw some forearms to the neck and turned his back and turtled numerous times...both of which are also illegal in boxing. But Mayweather has been getting away with that stuff his entire career. I thought it was decent that the ref gave both of them a bit of an extended leash. Made it look more like an actual fight, instead of just Floyd exploitng technicalities for 36 minutes.

I also found it a little humorous that Mayweather was so proud of himself for "going at him like I said I would". He basically just announced to to the world how unusual it is for him to go out there and actually engage in a fight, lol. Like Conor said, he got him to fight like a Mexican. :lol:

Also...just to be clear, if Floyd had been brave enough to allow something as minute as leg kicks, he'd be dead right now.

I don't disagree with you at all. Mayweather has been in the ring with bigger dudes and completely neutralized them. His was the safest strategy and it worked. I fully expected Mayweather to start picking up the pace at round 3, which he did, but clearly didn't turn McGregor's face into hamburger as the rounds started ticking by. It definitely added to the drama and I expected McGregor to run out of gas before he did, but there was a small part of me that thought that McGregor would go the distance since he still looked decent in round 8. Seeing him completely gassed and defenseless in 9 quickly brought me back to reality.

I lol'd at the "fight like a mexican." Sorry dude, but you didn't do anything and neither did he.

I don't disagree with you at all. Mayweather has been in the ring with bigger dudes and completely neutralized them. His was the safest strategy and it worked. I fully expected Mayweather to start picking up the pace at round 3, which he did, but clearly didn't turn McGregor's face into hamburger as the rounds started ticking by. It definitely added to the drama and I expected McGregor to run out of gas before he did, but there was a small part of me that thought that McGregor would go the distance since he still looked decent in round 8. Seeing him completely gassed and defenseless in 9 quickly brought me back to reality.

I lol'd at the "fight like a mexican." Sorry dude, but you didn't do anything and neither did he.
Yeah, it was weird seeing how well he did in round 8, and then just totally disappeared. In a weird way, I almost think if he had come into the fight a little smaller and really focused on going the distance, he might have done even better. At the very least, it would have forced Floyd's hand in needing to score points before McGregor was out of gas. I'm sure he could have. It just would have been interesting to see.

I've seen some people talking about the outcome being "too perfect" so it must have been rigged. I guess I get where they're coming from...it was an exciting fight with an ending that left basically everybody looking good. But I don't know. They were out there throwing real punches that actually landed. It's hard for me to call it staged when either of them could have landed something that ended the whole thing at any moment. I just think the likely outcome was likely for a reason. McGregor did as well as he could considering the circumstances, and Floyd did what Floyd has done 49 consecutive times.

And it was better than the Pacquiao fight, haha.

bread's done
Back