MMA (UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Invicta, etc.) Discussion Thread -- Version II

Yeah, not getting it at all. From a fight perspective it makes absolutely no sense. I guess they think it makes sense from a money perspective.

The worst part about it...is from a money perspective, it also "makes sense" for Diaz to throw this fight. Diaz losing ramps up the hype to 11,000 and only makes both of them richer and richer by setting up a rubber match in "one of the greatest rivalries ever".

I don't know...I'm a Conor fan, but it almost feels like the UFC is slowly learning why scripted wrestling is a huge draw...or why pro boxers only take fights they know they can win. It's sad that you can't get a mainstream audience as invested in a product that is just pure competition. There has to be some ridiculous storyline or some super-human victory.

At what point does the audience catch on? I'm not even sure how you promote this fight. Are they just going to start talking ridiculous amounts of trash to each other again? Then when the fight is over, hug, shake hands and congratulate each other on how much money they made...again?

And yeah...the 145 belt...at the very least they need to do an interim belt...Aldo vs Edgar or something. I didn't have a problem with Conor fighting in multiple weight classes while champ...but back to back fights without defending is bullshit. If I were Frankie Edgar, I'd probably be on the phone with Scott Coker right now.

The only one thing that makes some sense to me is maybe the UFC is in panic-mode because Connor just told them there is no way in hell he can make 135 again after weighing 170 lbs last week.

It sounded like it was going to be Frankie vs Connor last week, but suddenly this rematch crap appears. I really hope it is something like above, and not just the UFC saying lets make a ton of cash and fuck the rankings and competitive nature of the sport.

Pretty good night of fights though with some weird ones.

Sad Rin Nakai lost. She is just so weird looking that I wish she won because it is so weird watching someone that short and muscular out there. She has some of the worst striking ever though and her height adds to it. Those knees she tries to through in the clinch never reach because of how short she is. She may get cut, but hopefully she gets one more shot. Either that or cut the muscle mass to a different weight class.

Daniel Kelly had a great come back. I like how he ate the low blow and wouldn't take the 5 minute break because he knew Shoeface was pretty much done and he had to likely finish him for the win. 5 to 1 underdog pulls out. Kelly also has some awful striking, but his toughness and good grappling pulled it out.

Magney vs Lombard was crazy. Was a little surprised ref didn't stop it in the first when Mangy we in super deep trouble. Absolutely couldn't believe the ref let it keep going at the end of the 2nd. Lombard was just destroyed for a solid 3 minutes. His corner should've thrown in a towel and the ref should be re-trained. That was just crazy. Probably took some time off of Lombard's career with that beating. He was done when the third round started since he was still completely out on his feet.

Hunt vs Mir went how it was expected. At least Mir wasn't completely rendered unconscious and turned into a vegetable. I really like Mir, but it is time for him to hang it up. His has taken way too much damage over the years and should get out before he is wrecked.

I thought at first it was a quick stoppage and that Mir had fallen back and was looking for open guard, but then Hunt kept walking to the side and Mir was still just staring ahead at nothing and not moving. I guess it was just muscle memory taking over trying to pull guard, but he wasn't actively "there".

This was only $12 and a laugh riot. It wasn't nearly as sad as Heroes of Wrestling, and the commentary team was a wonderful mix of awful and great thanks to Rampage bringing the comedy. JR and Sean were serious enough, while also burying the show and the grappling match. That was dreadful, but entertaining thanks to the commentary. The MMA fight was a disaster, with a wedgie and an RNC - so it never had time to be bad. 

Riff Raff was so goddamned awful, but hilarious with his whole schtick. Then we got him in the Angle vs. Rey match, where he saved Rey from that "MOTHER...fuckER!" Kurt and his chair. They had a nothing house show match here, but it was amusing, and I like Rey's new El Rey/Lucha Underground gear. Tiny Trunks was hilarious in his walkout, but got his ass whooped. Roy Jones Jr. vs. Vyron Phillips had a few highlights in it - with Jones showing he has enough to face the Homer Simpsons of the world and not get hurt.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2016/03/ur-fight-3-20-16-live-coverage.html

Screens - 

"YOUR MAIN EVENT IS HERE!"

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/lla0p9a5m8gmbz3thwnesgqfhe3f4jjp

Last edited by a moderator:
The show featured MMA and boxing as well as pro wrestling.
If all it warranted was a brief line about "a wedgie and an RNC", then maybe putting all that in the MMA thread was unnecessary. That's all I'm saying.

99% of that post is Jay talking about wrestling, lol.

I assumed Ken was testing positive steroids, but to get bagged for methadone is sad. Opioid dependency is no joke. To see one of the pioneers of the sports in such a mess of a situation is a bit depressing.

Jones got ticketed for drag racing. Can he keep himself out of trouble until the Cormier fight? Jones may go down as one of the biggest wastes of talent ever. He is already in my mind the greatest LHW of all time, but who knows if he will stay out of jail.

Jon has crashed into a telephone pole while intoxicated.
Broke a woman's arm while driving possibly intoxicated and fled the scene.
License suspended and on probation.
Then caught driving 75 in a 35 zone and got the celebrity treatment.
Now pulled over again, due to drag racing/reckless driving

Jones got ticketed for drag racing. Can he keep himself out of trouble until the Cormier fight? Jones may go down as one of the biggest wastes of talent ever. He is already in my mind the greatest LHW of all time, but who knows if he will stay out of jail.

Jon has crashed into a telephone pole while intoxicated.
Broke a woman's arm while driving possibly intoxicated and fled the scene.
License suspended and on probation.
Then caught driving 75 in a 35 zone and got the celebrity treatment.
Now pulled over again, due to drag racing/reckless driving
He turned himself in this morning and is currently in county jail. The UFC should just go ahead and hire Jones a personal driver. I'm getting sick of Jones' BS., if he wasn't such a huge talent he would have been cut.

He turned himself in this morning and is currently in county jail. The UFC should just go ahead and hire Jones a personal driver. I'm getting sick of Jones' BS., if he wasn't such a huge talent he would have been cut.
Yeah, I don't get it. I guess this is where you start talking about these things as being a "disease" or something he can't control. Because any rational person would be able to see that their behavior is getting in the way of their opportunity to make millions of dollars.

I guess he's not the first great talent to have this problem. But it's crazy. The people with the discipline don't have the talent. The people with the talent don't have the discipline. The tragic humor of life.

Should watch this if you have the time, saw it last night. It was pretty entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vVRbN9WeME

Does anyone else think it's fucking ridiculous that UFC is crowning an interim featherweight champion at a card on which the reigning featherweight champion is competing in a separate fight?

UFC 200 is looking like a bust. It's comprised of all title contender fights with no real title match and a shitty Catchweight main event. UFC 100 was one of the best cards of all time. I still remember Hendo knocking the shit out of Bisping. 

Does anyone else think it's fucking ridiculous that UFC is crowning an interim featherweight champion at a card on which the reigning featherweight champion is competing in a separate fight?
I mean, it is...but other fighters come up with bullshit injuries and miss more time. Ultimately, Conor doing what he's doing still makes the company money. And an interim belt will give the winner TONS of ammunition to talk endless amounts of shit to Conor about being a "fake champion with a pretend belt". That's at least what I'd do anyway. And if that doesn't piss him off and give him motivation to defend, then he'll most likely be forced to drop the belt.

From the UFC's perspective...all this leads to is more money. It is starting to become kind of circus-like...but somebody must be enjoying it with all those PPV buys. I'm all for the spirit of fair competition, but to pretend that we don't live in a world where freakshows are glorified and elevated above legitimate entertainment is silly.

So, I guess Holly Holm won't take a fight unless she gets a Miesha Tate rematch. I'm not saying she SHOULD have stepped up for the Cyborg fight...but the idea that she can demand an immediate rematch is a little silly. She's even said herself she was surprised that her title shot against Ronda came so soon. So, now...she can't even defend the belt once and thinks she can call her shots?

What is she going to do if the UFC does give the title shot to Ronda? Will she begrudgingly take a fight then or will she try to insist on waiting to fight the winner? It's crazy how some fighters don't seem to realize that doing what you can to help the UFC make money is what's going to make them want to help you. People can say what they want about Ronda, but she was always there when they needed her.

It's also amusing that after beating Ronda, Holly didn't want to wait. Now, after a loss, she's singing a different tune. There's no question Ronda was out of her damned mind before the last fight...but she might have been right about a couple things.

Well to be fair that was a close match and she should be able to demand a rematch since she's not on a long medical suspension.
Well, sure. She can demand it, but the UFC can also tell her to piss off, lol. Maybe if she did a little more promoting and put asses in seats, they'd give her a rematch. The McGregor/Diaz rematch only makes sense from the perspective of people being willing to spend money to see it. If it wasn't breaking PPV records, the company would make Conor shut up and defend his belt like everybody else.

Conversely, Tate/Rousey 3 only makes money now, when Miesha has the belt. Financially, it makes way more sense for the UFC to do that fight...and then end up with either Tate/Holm 2 or Rousey/Holm 2. It also creates a scenario where Ronda could potentially promote (and headline) two fights. IF Ronda ended up losing to Miesha, well, then she's probably done and that gravy train has ended.

But financially speaking, those are the plays to make. Not letting a boring fighter whose only finish came against the equivalent of a tantrumming toddler and was champion for 10 seconds dictate your events. Money talks. And talking is money.

That is true about big talk leads to money fights, but I hate it and wish it wasn't that way.

It was stupid when Kenny Florian tried to do it because it seemed so fake. If Holly goes out there talking smack like some of the other dolts it will just look fake and stupid.

Some people do it, and some don't. If everyone does it then it will just devolve into pro-wrestling. I don't think I've ever seen Werdum, Cain, Hunt, Nog Bros, Machida, Rumble run their mouths off. Connor is fun to watch, but he kind of sets a bad precedent if everyone starts copying his schtick. Now with the big money fight vs Diaz twice, people who are better fighters than Diaz are going to start pulling the same crap looking for the 500K payday.

As for Holly - she doesn't talk a big game and she hasn't been super exciting except against Ronda. So she gets two strikes against her.

I can see people wanting to avoid Cyborg though. She is a known cheater and is a weight class above them. It is a big risk big reward fighting against her. If you get smashed you are just going to be the Cyborg highlight reel used to get her a title fight. Really the same thing happened with Connor vs Diaz. Big risk, big reward. Except when it didn't pay off they are just doubling down a second time, which I do think is stupid.

Frankie vs Aldo should be good. It's another style vs style situation where I think Aldo can likely beat Frankie, but Frankie would be beat Connor easier than Aldo can. I'm hoping for Frankie though, because I think he can beat Connor.

I hope Rumble and Jones both agree to match. It's the only thing that will save this card. As much as everyone loves DJ, the flyweights just don't hold interest. 

That is true about big talk leads to money fights, but I hate it and wish it wasn't that way.

It was stupid when Kenny Florian tried to do it because it seemed so fake. If Holly goes out there talking smack like some of the other dolts it will just look fake and stupid.

Some people do it, and some don't. If everyone does it then it will just devolve into pro-wrestling. I don't think I've ever seen Werdum, Cain, Hunt, Nog Bros, Machida, Rumble run their mouths off. Connor is fun to watch, but he kind of sets a bad precedent if everyone starts copying his schtick. Now with the big money fight vs Diaz twice, people who are better fighters than Diaz are going to start pulling the same crap looking for the 500K payday.

As for Holly - she doesn't talk a big game and she hasn't been super exciting except against Ronda. So she gets two strikes against her.

I can see people wanting to avoid Cyborg though. She is a known cheater and is a weight class above them. It is a big risk big reward fighting against her. If you get smashed you are just going to be the Cyborg highlight reel used to get her a title fight. Really the same thing happened with Connor vs Diaz. Big risk, big reward. Except when it didn't pay off they are just doubling down a second time, which I do think is stupid.
Agree with basically all of this. I don't love that pure competition gets passed over for circus antics. But it's just the world we live in. Reality TV, stolen sex tapes, etc. People gravitate toward the juicy stuff.

Even the NHL deals with it in a way. There has been a call to ban fighting for years. But some people only tune in to see that. Hurting their bottom line just for the sake of "sportsmanship" is a tough sell.

I mean, that's like Congress imposing term limits on themselves because it's the right thing to do. Everybody knows that it is, but you're going to have a hell of a time getting people on board with something that goes against their financial interests.

As for Cyborg, you're right. Definitely big risk, big reward. I just think that's a decent match up for Holm. She'd have a reach advantage and you'd have to think better boxing from the outside. The question would be if she could avoid the swarm and keep Cyborg away. Oblique kick would probably come In handy there.

I guess I'm also remembering Holly saying she WOULD fight Cyborg at a catchweight right after she beat Ronda. Just funny how perspectives change.

I was reading through some MMA news today and came across this tweet.

https://twitter.com/MMASupremacy/status/715979309421342720

If you think about it, the UFC must hate Holly Holm. She's basically fucked up all of their big plans, haha.

I was reading through some MMA news today and came across this tweet.

If you think about it, the UFC must hate Holly Holm. She's basically fucked up all of their big plans, haha.
Man you really have a thing against Holly Holm. She must f-up the invincible aura you had for Ronda really bad.

I do agree that she messed up alot of the UFC's plans. I don't blame her though for doing it her way. The UFC only cares about their bottom line, and if Holly can strong arm them here and there then more power to her.

Holly is relatively old and didn't want to sit on the shelf for an indefinite period of time. Only so much time left in her career. Granted she didn't this Miesha was going to beat her - even though I said I thought Miesha would win, like how I said Holly would win.

Now with the Cyborg fight. Not a very positive situation. If she beats Cyborg then she beat someone that 98% of the casuals have never heard of. If Cyborg smashes her then she is just a highlight reel KO for Cyborg to try and get a big fight (If she can make the weight class - she is still fighting above her weight class). Cyborg is also a known cheater, etc.

UFC also has a questionable history of cutting, not renewing contracts, or lowballing to drive people out.

Drove away Benson Henderson and Phil Davis. Cut Fitch, Shields, Okami, and others.

All those guys are top 10 (or maybe 5) in their division, but their style isn't exciting enough so they get the door. Holly is not exciting. She is effective, but not exciting so two or three fight win streak could show her the door or back down to making $6000 a fight.

Man you really have a thing against Holly Holm. She must f-up the invincible aura you had for Ronda really bad.
Considering how much I've criticized Ronda for how she went into that fight? Not really. Any real fan of the sport understands that no one is invincible...especially if they're not doing the right things to prepare.

But sure, I'm not a Holm fan. She's just as one dimensional as Ronda (if not moreso...I would consider an argument that Ronda's striking is better than Holly's wrestling) and she rarely finishes her fights. Her personality is bland, and she has a horrible case of resting bitch face, lol.

It's not like I want her to die or something. I just don't like her. I didn't post that Tweet. I just saw it and found it amusing. It's also not untrue.

I honestly think that's the right call for Miesha. Screw Holly Holm trying to demand a rematch. And screw Ronda wanting to keep Miesha waiting until November. It also means she's fighting a true challenger instead of somebody who thinks they just made a mistake and wants their belt back.

This gives Miesha the chance to stand on her own on the big stage and elevate her own stardom. Props to her management team for getting this fight set up.

Getting a win under her belt will help solidify Miesha as the champion. Well as much as she can until Ronda returns.

I hope this wasn't the fight that was going to knock everyone's socks off though that Dana was talking about. Dana said something last week like the biggest announcement is to come. I was guessing Miesha vs Ronda, but then this came out.

I think UFC was hoping for Ronda to be ready in July, but that long on the couch is to long for RR to come back from that quickly. Focusing just on getting her diet and weight down along with cardio would take time and if they rush things they could cause the RR start to explode. If Ronda loses to Miesha I think that will be the end of RR, unless she sticks around for a Cyborg super fight or something.

OSP vs Jones is interesting but such a let down compared to the Cormier fight. After all that with Jones in and out of jail and then Cormier gets hurt.

If there is still some huge fight to be announced for UFC 200, what could it be? GSP?

Should have been Tate vs Holm or Tate vs Cat. Either way I think Tate will eventually lose to Ronda again. Kind of like JDS and Cain. Great fighter but always have someone that they can't seem to pass.

Should have been Tate vs Holm or Tate vs Cat. Either way I think Tate will eventually lose to Ronda again. Kind of like JDS and Cain. Great fighter but always have someone that they can't seem to past.
In what universe does Cat Zingano deserve a title shot more than Amanda Nunes? She's fought twice in three years...with her last fight being 14 months ago when she lost to Rousey. She's scheduled to fight Pena on that same card...which is exactly who she should be facing so we can find out if she's even a contender anymore.

Doesn't matter with the UFC about who deserve it or not. There has been fighter won lost matches and still get title fight before other fighter. Ranking means nothing in the UFC with the amount of injuries they have. I mentioned Zingano because she has wins over Tate and Nunes back to back so it's not outrageous or out of this world. Just thought it would be a more interesting match than Tate against Nunes.

Doesn't matter with the UFC about who deserve it or not. There has been fighter won lost matches and still get title fight before other fighter. Ranking means nothing in the UFC with the amount of injuries they have. I mentioned Zingano because she has wins over Tate and Nunes back to back so it's not outrageous or out of this world. Just thought it would be a more interesting match than Tate against Nunes.
I get what you're saying, I just don't think it makes sense. Both Tate and Nunes have improved quite a bit since Zingano beat them. Tate has won five in a row. Nunes has won three in a row and a lot of people have been throwing her name in the mix for a while. What is surprising is that the UFC actually went for it, rather than just recycling Miesha/Holly/Ronda over and over again.

And like I said...they're putting Holly back in her place.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/07/holly-holm-paying-steep-price-for-standing-up-to-ufc-boss/

Not that I don't think Dana and Lorenzo were annoyed, that article doesn't once mention them saying or doing anything. It's about how Miesha decided who to fight. She had the option of Nunes or Holly and decides to go with Nunes.

In an interview elsewhere Holly's team was pretty insulted/angry about that. Something along the lines of - we gave Miesha a shot when we didn't have to, so she should've given us a rematch.

I still think Holly did the right thing in trying to defend the belt. Way too much sitting on hands waiting for so and so to get back. If Holly waited it would've waited an entire year (at least) to get another fight. Miesha is also doing the right thing fighting someone else. Get rid of the instant rematches.

Not that I don't think Dana and Lorenzo were annoyed, that article doesn't once mention them saying or doing anything. It's about how Miesha decided who to fight. She had the option of Nunes or Holly and decides to go with Nunes.

In an interview elsewhere Holly's team was pretty insulted/angry about that. Something along the lines of - we gave Miesha a shot when we didn't have to, so she should've given us a rematch.

I still think Holly did the right thing in trying to defend the belt. Way too much sitting on hands waiting for so and so to get back. If Holly waited it would've waited an entire year (at least) to get another fight. Miesha is also doing the right thing fighting someone else. Get rid of the instant rematches.
Depends what/who you believe, I guess.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/4/8/11391370/a-rematch-between-miesha-tate-and-holly-holm-was-never-on-the-table

I'll probably catch hell for this too, but Holly's manager seems like a real douchebag. He talks about Holly fighting Cyborg again, but only if it's the main event of a PPV and only wanting "big fights". And he starts directly talking shit about Miesha himself saying "She said she wants the best fighters, but apparently she doesn't," he said. "She's definitely not cut from the same cloth as Holly."

Let your fighter speak for herself, man.

But I do agree with you. I think Holly and Miesha both did the right thing.

Pretty good fights today.

Surprised by the JDS v Rothwell result. I really thought JDS was on the way out after the two Cain fights, the close win over Stipe (which I can't remember, but I thought I had him losing), and the KO from Overeem. Rothwell just never seemed to get comfortable and never got a rhythm of his weird antics going. I would've liked Rothwell to win to get a new person challenging for a title. We got Stipe, then Overeem then back to JDS, Cain, etc.

Felt belt for Gonzaga. I really like Gonzaga and was hoping he could get it done on the mat. Surprised he was unable to finish Beast there. Looks like Beast may be one of those guys who may get carried pretty far off pure strength and power.

Also - surprised Mir got popped for steroids. He would be one of the least likely in my opinion, and his last few performances looked anything but "enhanced". Maybe it was honestly unintentional. I was surprised it turned out to actually be a tainted supplement for Yoel Romero. So many fighters cry that, and this time it actually way. He is still responsible for what he puts in his body, but because it was a tainted supp his suspension was dropped to only 6 months (which is pretty much nothing).

Also - surprised Mir got popped for steroids. He would be one of the least likely in my opinion, and his last few performances looked anything but "enhanced". Maybe it was honestly unintentional. I was surprised it turned out to actually be a tainted supplement for Yoel Romero. So many fighters cry that, and this time it actually way. He is still responsible for what he puts in his body, but because it was a tainted supp his suspension was dropped to only 6 months (which is pretty much nothing).
Yeah, I read that Mir is trying to say it was kangaroo meat. (WTF?) My guess is it either was unintentional, or he used to recover from an injury so he wouldn't have to pull out of the fight and miss a payday.

That seems to be the only thing he's fighting for anymore. And at his age, I could see it happening.

Yeah, I read that Mir is trying to say it was kangaroo meat. (WTF?)
o-ROGER-SWOLED-570.jpg

60e18400af10cda5e4a40fbaa9b4672f.gif

3mtgayT.gif

Just sayin'.....

bread's done
Back