N64 game case project - live!

Thanks, glad you like them.

As for Destiny Fighter 2 - that is kind of the way it looks... maybe I have a faded box, however I just did a side by side comparison with the box and my cover and you are correct, it could stand some enhancing.
As I previously mentioned, you set pretty high standards :)

I have made some corrections, but it will be tomorrow before I can hike back into town (12 miles) to upload.

Edit to add: I hate to make more work for you.

Ok ..... here's another rendition of Fighter Destiny 2 ....

The front cover was scanned by gamescanner and I think is what the front cover originally looked like. This cover isn't totally ideal as although his resolution was 300dpi it lacks a little crispness although it'll probably lookjust fine when printed.

wshbrngr's cover is great apart from the discoloration and a slightly weird moire type look on the front cover. Unfortunately, as with the Battlezone cover .... adjusting one color in Paintshop Pro can yield unpredictable results on the rest of the palette. I don't know if Photoshop has better adjustments as I haven't used it much at all. Ideally what I need to do is copy the palette from one onto the other.

Anyway .... comments from anyone appreciated and I'm certainly not knocking the original scan .... just highlighting what may be closer to the oiginal colors. Oh to have a time machine eh .....

Its kind of wierd, the waviness is really pronounced on my computer screen when looking at the cover with irfanview, but not in photoshop. I am sure there is a high tech name for this effect... or maybe a lowtech 'operator error' :)

I tried scanning it again and get the same effect. It appears to print out fine, though. I am no expert in photoshop, especially all the enhancement/filters/etc.

Put me down for a ride on the time machine, too....... I'd like to go back and change/fix a few things.... :)

Oh yeah... Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. showed up yesterday.....

[quote name='Schenley']Two more uploaded on my site:

World Driver Championship, A Bugs Life

http://www.brokenclavicle.com/covers/raw

Two more to go - but they have EXTENSIVE sticker problems. I will get to them when I have time.[/quote]

Can you confirm the sweepstakes thingy is a sticker? I believe it is as it wraps onto the spine. If it is I'll edit it out and use the blue spine to complete the cover.

Cheers ......

[quote name='TheValeman']Can you confirm the sweepstakes thingy is a sticker? I believe it is as it wraps onto the spine. If it is I'll edit it out and use the blue spine to complete the cover.

Cheers ......[/quote]Ooops - yea, it is. It's on so well, that I didn't even notice it as a sticker! If you can work around it, that would be great, cause it looks like a pain to remove.

OK

I hiked into town and uploaded Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. and a revised Destiny Fighter 2
(enhanced colors).
I am still learning to use photoshop. :)

[quote name='wshbrngr']OK

I hiked into town and uploaded Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. and a revised Destiny Fighter 2
(enhanced colors).
I am still learning to use photoshop. :)[/quote]

Hi buddy,

Great work on FD2 ... colors are much nicer on the front compared to the other one.

For some reason Bio Freaks appears to have not uploaded to Snack-bar correctly. I've cleared cache etc and does appear that it got corrupted on upload as there is a corruption line at the bottom of the picture. Have a look and you'll see what I mean. No big deal .... next time you drop into town have another go.

At this rate we should see the end of the road sooner than we think :)

I will check it out..... and re-upload Bio-FREAKS.

I was really expecting those other games to get here today....
But I forgot, got to add at least 1 extra day cause I live in the boonies...:)
Media mail, whatcha gonna do?

I've been keeping on top of all the covers as best as I can. I posted a nice lot on Friday afternoon. I'll get to the ones from this weekend in a bit. :)

OK, I re-uploaded Bio-F.R.E.A.K.S. and it appears to be correct. The file on my laptop was corrupted, but everything is OK now.
I also rec'd a few new boxes today, I will scan and upload them ASAP.

[quote name='wshbrngr']OK, I re-uploaded Bio-F.R.E.A.K.S. and it appears to be correct. The file on my laptop was corrupted, but everything is OK now.
I also rec'd a few new boxes today, I will scan and upload them ASAP.[/quote]

Howdy wshbrngr,

Let us know what you're scanning etc so we dont end up buying a game to find it's already done or on the way. Dont forget to fire those raw scan onto a CD :)

Sorry about that...
Today I received Dual Heroes, Lode Runner 3D and Charlie Blasts Territory.
I also have Hot Wheels Turbo Racing coming... eventually...

and I rescanned all the boxes just a few minutes ago @ 600 dpi just for you, Valeman :)

Sorry about that..... Today I received Charlie Blasts Territory, Lode Runner 3D and Dual Heroes. I also have Hot Wheels Turbo Racing coming. (eventually)

I just finished scanning all hte boxes @ 600 dpi just for you, Valeman. :)

[quote name='wshbrngr']Sorry about that...
Today I received Dual Heroes, Lode Runner 3D and Charlie Blasts Territory.
I also have Hot Wheels Turbo Racing coming... eventually...

and I rescanned all the boxes just a few minutes ago @ 600 dpi just for you, Valeman :)[/quote]

Cool .... I have the manual pdf'd for Dual Heroes if you now have the game but no manual.

I have converted another two manuals .... those being Armorines - Project S.W.A.R.M and Disney's TARZAN .... bringing it to a total of 34 manuals at the present time.

I'll get onto Schenley's A Bug's Life cover in a day or so .... thought I'd get a few manuals out of the way first. Still waiting on Snowcone providing an upload link for these things .... but it'll need to be robust enough to accept 20meg files without timing out .... the higher rez really increases the file size.

[quote name='Snowcone']Speaking of manuals, Valeman, try and upload a pdf manual to the upload page.[/quote]

Hey ... that's cool giving the option of cover or manuals. Uploading 007- Goldeneye - Aus as I type this.

How are you going to display them? Might be quite streamlined to simply add a "manual" link beside the "download pic" link for each cover to save having another seperate menu .... but thats just me :)

One point .... A manual listed as Eur/Aus could probably be slapped onto any available PAL cover for that game as I dont think there is any difference between the different Pal regions to be honest ... other than possibly different additional languages .... and I only scan the English pages anyway.

Query: How does the website handle the uploads? Just asking as it seems to take quite a long time after the blue bar hits 100% before the site advises completion.

Cheers .....

UPDATE: I get a Server Error 500 trying to up a 6mb pdf to Snack-bar .... similar to one when upping large pics.

[quote name='TheValeman']Hey ... that's cool giving the option of cover or manuals. Uploading 007- Goldeneye - Aus as I type this.

How are you going to display them? Might be quite streamlined to simply add a "manual" link beside the "download pic" link for each cover to save having another seperate menu .... but thats just me :)

One point .... A manual listed as Eur/Aus could probably be slapped onto any available PAL cover for that game as I dont think there is any difference between the different Pal regions to be honest ... other than possibly different additional languages .... and I only scan the English pages anyway.

Query: How does the website handle the uploads? Just asking as it seems to take quite a long time after the blue bar hits 100% before the site advises completion.

Cheers .....

UPDATE: I get a Server Error 500 trying to up a 6mb pdf to Snack-bar .... similar to one when upping large pics.[/QUOTE]

Let me look into it. I'll try and upload some large files and see what I get.

[quote name='Snowcone']I just bumped up the max size to 8MB. Try it again and see what we get.[/quote]

Ok .... tried it again with a 7mb pdf and it gave me a " photo not a valid image file" error.

Sizing wise .... 8 mb's is ok for testing but it'll need maxing to 25mb's or so. It may be easier to send you a CD with them on it.

On another note: I converted another 4 manuals into PDF's overnight.

"One down one to go .... another town and one more show .... leave it!!!!" .........Quote from favorite music group... guesses anyone?
wshbrngr's old enough to know this one :D

[quote name='TheValeman']"One down one to go .... another town and one more show .... leave it!!!!" .........Quote from favorite music group... guesses anyone?
wshbrngr's old enough to know this one :D[/quote]Only my favorite - YES! "Leave It" on 90125. And, I didn't look it up - from memory.

Yes I am old enough to know the group, and Yes, I do know the name of the group.
In fact, I used to have a lonely heart, so I know something of their work.
You might even say I owned one.... :)

P.S. I am working on the covers, but the wife has some projects which demand to be finished :cry:

and I have on the way, the following games.....

In the Zone 98
NFL Quarterback Club 2000
NFL Blitz 2001
California Speed

Hopefully I'll get these in 10 days or so along with a couple of manuals for the collection.

I'm off to convert more manuals .... and Yeah I know Schenley .... I'll get around to Bug's Life soon I promise.

UPDATE: 4 more manuals done for a new total of 43 manuals pdf'd

[quote name='TheValeman']Ok .... tried it again with a 7mb pdf and it gave me a " photo not a valid image file" error.

Sizing wise .... 8 mb's is ok for testing but it'll need maxing to 25mb's or so. It may be easier to send you a CD with them on it.

On another note: I converted another 4 manuals into PDF's overnight.

"One down one to go .... another town and one more show .... leave it!!!!" .........Quote from favorite music group... guesses anyone?
wshbrngr's old enough to know this one :D[/QUOTE]

I am going to create a custom FTP repository for you to dump them. I'll be sending you a PM with the login info.

Alrighty then .......

Snowcone's FTP is working great for me compared to the HTML upload facility. I am currently uploading 50 manuals ... I've been busy converting ... totaling over 500mb's to it as I write this.

Hopefully you guy's will get to see what I've been up to soon. Let me know what you think of them....

UPDATE: All 51 manuals now upped to Snack-bar. New additions include Banjo Twooie, Doom 64, Castlevania. I think I'm about half way through my manuals at present.

[quote name='wshbrngr']Good work, Valeman....

I just uploaded covers for: Hot Wheels Turbo Racing, Bio FREAKS, Charlie Blasts Territory and Dual Heroes.

They can be accessed here:
http://www.snackbar-games.com/uploads/wshbrngr

Still working on Lode Runner 3D[/quote]

Great stuff!!

Now all we need is for 4tygames to update the list so we dont end up buying stuff other people already have. As soon as my 5 games arrive I'll convert them along with Schenley's A Bugs Life and get them up pronto!!

[quote name='ajnrules']Yeah...I've finally decided to compile the ISS '98 box...unfortunately, it has a couple of major creases, so I was wondering if anybody with half-decent PhotoShop/PaintShop skills can edit them out somehow...

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~lc7v/Other/ISS64ful.JPG[/quote]

I'd happily look into it in a few days time when my boxes come in the post. I prefer to tackle these things in a block of time rather than piecemeal. However, the copy you made available is scanned or saved at only 96dpi .... not 300dpi as required in the site docs .... thats why it's so small.

If you upload the full 300dpi file I'll look at it sooner rather than later. Alternately .... try and get the raw 300dpi scans up and I'll create the cover for you.... although your's looks fine bar the resolution.

Cheers

[quote name='TheValeman']Alrighty then .......

Snowcone's FTP is working great for me compared to the HTML upload facility. I am currently uploading 50 manuals ... I've been busy converting ... totaling over 500mb's to it as I write this.

Hopefully you guy's will get to see what I've been up to soon. Let me know what you think of them....

UPDATE: All 51 manuals now upped to Snack-bar. New additions include Banjo Twooie, Doom 64, Castlevania. I think I'm about half way through my manuals at present.[/QUOTE]

I am working on a way for these to be available in conjunction with the games. I am also giving serious thought to relaunching the whole thing as it's own website. I don't know yet.

[quote name='Snowcone']I am working on a way for these to be available in conjunction with the games. I am also giving serious thought to relaunching the whole thing as it's own website. I don't know yet.[/QUOTE]

I like the idea of relaunching it as a new site. It's really grown to a whole new level since it first started as a small little project here at CAG. You'd probably get more traffic due it being the main focus instead of a subsidary and it'd automatically be the largest GBA and N64 hi-rez cover database on the net. Give it some more room of its own and exposure and it'll grow even more accordingly.

Sorry, I have not replied in a while.

College has started again and free time is a little more limited. I will get the list updated soon, at least by the end of this weekend.

Those boxes that I scanned earlier I currently do not have access to, and I tried to remove the sticker on the front, but it just would not come off. Those games I bought were new old stock so even though they had all the old rental store stickers on them, they were never used.

What would be a good name for the new site? Personally, I like http://www.covers.vg .

[quote name='4tygames']Sorry, I have not replied in a while.

College has started again and free time is a little more limited. I will get the list updated soon, at least by the end of this weekend.

Those boxes that I scanned earlier I currently do not have access to, and I tried to remove the sticker on the front, but it just would not come off. Those games I bought were new old stock so even though they had all the old rental store stickers on them, they were never used.

What would be a good name for the new site? Personally, I like http://www.covers.vg .[/QUOTE]

Not bad. I'll give it some thought.

Hmm...so the last box was 96dpi? I was afraid of that...:cry:

Okay...the upload site doesn't seem to work, so I've uploaded all of my raw scans onto my own personal webspace. If they're still 96dpi...well, I have no idea what we'll do.

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~lc7v/Other/gamebox/

The scanned boxes include:
-International Superstar Soccer 64 (US)
-International Superstar Soccer 98 (US)
-Super Mario 64 (Japan)
-Mario Kart 64 (Japan)
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Japan)
-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Japan)
-Star Fox 64 (Japan)
-Banjo-Kazooie (Japan)
-Paper Mario (Japan)
-Mario Party (Japan)
-Yoshi's Story (Japan)

[quote name='ajnrules']Hmm...so the last box was 96dpi? I was afraid of that...:cry:

Okay...the upload site doesn't seem to work, so I've uploaded all of my raw scans onto my own personal webspace. If they're still 96dpi...well, I have no idea what we'll do.

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~lc7v/Other/gamebox/

The scanned boxes include:
-International Superstar Soccer 64 (US)
-International Superstar Soccer 98 (US)
-Super Mario 64 (Japan)
-Mario Kart 64 (Japan)
-The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Japan)
-The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Japan)
-Star Fox 64 (Japan)
-Banjo-Kazooie (Japan)
-Paper Mario (Japan)
-Mario Party (Japan)
-Yoshi's Story (Japan)[/QUOTE]OH! I can now make a good custom cover for Mario 64 with that Mario 64 JP raw! THANKS!

[quote name='Snowcone']wshbrngr,

This new Fighter Destiny 2 cover, is it a replacement of the current one?[/quote]

Snowcone: Sorry to take so long to reply, but I have been down for a few days (Me and the computer)
I did upload a revised fighter destiny a while back with enhanced colors, but I have not uploaded anything in the past few days.

[quote name='wshbrngr']Snowcone: Sorry to take so long to reply, but I have been down for a few days (Me and the computer)
I did upload a revised fighter destiny a while back with enhanced colors, but I have not uploaded anything in the past few days.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I will go ahead and replace the old one with this new one.

So the new domain name will be thecoverproject.net

I am going to try and get the site built and online within about 10-14 days. Once we get this site online I am going to promote a few of you to be able to post pending covers and help keep things running smoothly.

[quote name='Snowcone']So the new domain name will be thecoverproject.net

I am going to try and get the site built and online within about 10-14 days. Once we get this site online I am going to promote a few of you to be able to post pending covers and help keep things running smoothly.[/quote]

Dont forget to migrate the ftp server for those manuals I'm uploading too as it certainly made it easier than the html method where large files are concerned.

Are you migrating the existing layout?
This may be a good time to look at altering the format to a name based structure .... one name with all associated covers and the manual nested underneath. That way a visitor can see all items available for a particular game with one click.
But then again .... I'm no site designer so maybe it's too hard to do this? .... just a suggestion anyways.......

Cheers

[quote name='TheValeman']Dont forget to migrate the ftp server for those manuals I'm uploading too as it certainly made it easier than the html method where large files are concerned.

Are you migrating the existing layout?
This may be a good time to look at altering the format to a name based structure .... one name with all associated covers and the manual nested underneath. That way a visitor can see all items available for a particular game with one click.
But then again .... I'm no site designer so maybe it's too hard to do this? .... just a suggestion anyways.......

Cheers[/QUOTE]

That is already on the agenda. I am not worried if it will be tough or not as it needs to be done. I plan on having it listed as you suggest with a notation of what type of DVD/game case the cover image was designed for as well as what region the original game was from. This will also include manuals.

As far as the layout, I am scrapping all of it and doing it from the ground up. I have been laying things out all day trying to get something that I am happy with. So far I haven't hit the paydirt yet.

[quote name='Snowcone']That is already on the agenda. I am not worried if it will be tough or not as it needs to be done. I plan on having it listed as you suggest with a notation of what type of DVD/game case the cover image was designed for as well as what region the original game was from. This will also include manuals.

As far as the layout, I am scrapping all of it and doing it from the ground up. I have been laying things out all day trying to get something that I am happy with. So far I haven't hit the paydirt yet.[/quote]

If you wanted it up fast you could take a simplistic approach something like....

Not much reprograming required .....list on the left altered to show the individual game .... pic displayed could be pulled at random from available covers or default to USA being the most popular and clicking on the cover type brings up the appropriate image. Download button would initiate the download for the highlighted image etc. PDF button should open a new window with pdf displayed seperately. We could nest individual region manuals under the image buttons so users would know a manual is for japan if under the JPN image button etc... a little nasty I know ....but .....

It may be an easy implementation for you in the short term and allow you to get a final version up with all sorts of extra information at a later date. I think it would be great to structure a page to show information about game type, release dates, interesting facts & figures etc .... sort of a one stop shop for information about the game along with the covers, manuals etc. I would also like to see the ability to show the labels for the carts as well if possible. After all ... I cant be the only one which ex-rental carts that would love to replace ripped,damaged ones with a nice shiny new one :)

[quote name='TheValeman']If you wanted it up fast you could take a simplistic approach something like....

Not much reprograming required .....list on the left altered to show the individual game .... pic displayed could be pulled at random from available covers or default to USA being the most popular and clicking on the cover type brings up the appropriate image. Download button would initiate the download for the highlighted image etc. PDF button should open a new window with pdf displayed seperately. We could nest individual region manuals under the image buttons so users would know a manual is for japan if under the JPN image button etc... a little nasty I know ....but .....

It may be an easy implementation for you in the short term and allow you to get a final version up with all sorts of extra information at a later date. I think it would be great to structure a page to show information about game type, release dates, interesting facts & figures etc .... sort of a one stop shop for information about the game along with the covers, manuals etc. I would also like to see the ability to show the labels for the carts as well if possible. After all ... I cant be the only one which ex-rental carts that would love to replace ripped,damaged ones with a nice shiny new one :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. When I start doing the database design this week I will account for all of those things and see if we can't get a pretty decent site online. With the whole facts and figures and release date info I will definitely need some help on the administration part of things. Do I have any immediate volunteers? :)

Another suggestion would be to set up user pages for contributors, to show what/how much they've contributed. Like Valeman, I'm no programmer so that's probably too hard/time consuming....I just wanted to see how much Valeman's contributed (must be in hundreds somewhere). lol

I should also mention that I am going to take an Image Shack type of approach and create a thumbnailing script for us to link to things on forums. The site will also have it's own forum for discussion and creation of the covers.

[quote name='SMMM']Another suggestion would be to set up user pages for contributors, to show what/how much they've contributed. Like Valeman, I'm no programmer so that's probably too hard/time consuming....I just wanted to see how much Valeman's contributed (must be in hundreds somewhere). lol[/QUOTE]

Nope, will be easy. I will set that up as part of the planned statistics page.

bread's done
Back