N64 game case project - live!

[quote name='Mookyjooky']

The reason why "Nintendo" seems very similar but not the exact same font and missing the Copyright is that its illegal to do so. I'm treading on thin ice here, but at least its not completly illegal.

What you guys are doing is on a very very thin line of legality, lets stomp the possibility of being sued or shut down by customizing outside of the original design.[/QUOTE]

???? The whole point of this project is to attempt to keep the original artwork as original as possible. The legal issue is a joke, come on - do you really think they're going to come after us. Copy rights are not black & white like so many people discuss on message boards. The law when practiced has a huge grey area, one of those grey areas is that it is not interested in minor infractions - which at most is what this is. I'll tell you what - if Nintendo or associates contact us (and they would me since I'm hosting all these) about this I will talk to one of my lawyers and see what he has to say. Until then, let's not rock the boat & stay focused on getting all these covers.

Also, changing the font slightly means nothing. The name itself is copyrighted so you can write Nintendo in Old English font and it's the same as if you took it straight from their logo. The context that you're using it in is the most important.

Nate

Ok guys I have a question. About the Sega Saturn, I was wondering if you can use two of the same light guns to play a game like virtua fighter or if they have to be different. I believe for the Sega CD you had to have one blue justifier and one pink one to play two player. Is this kinda the same for saturn??? Also am I correct about the Sega CD???

[quote name='nate1749']???? The whole point of this project is to attempt to keep the original artwork as original as possible. The legal issue is a joke, come on - do you really think they're going to come after us. Copy rights are not black & white like so many people discuss on message boards. The law when practiced has a huge grey area, one of those grey areas is that it is not interested in minor infractions - which at most is what this is. I'll tell you what - if Nintendo or associates contact us (and they would me since I'm hosting all these) about this I will talk to one of my lawyers and see what he has to say. Until then, let's not rock the boat & stay focused on getting all these covers.

Also, changing the font slightly means nothing. The name itself is copyrighted so you can write Nintendo in Old English font and it's the same as if you took it straight from their logo. The context that you're using it in is the most important.

Nate[/QUOTE]

Sorry to upset you, I will discontinue to support your project.

Also, every single custom cover site.. for movies, cds and games thats hosted in america has be sued and shut down. Keep that in mind.

I've been making custom covers for quite a while, (about 4-5 years now) and was the first to post custom covers on this site... (AFAIK) I've seen about 10 websites shut down, and they've all been sued. I've been contacted by Nintendo's, Sega's and Namco's laywers via email multiple times. I've done it long enough to know they cant really touch me with the way I do things, have you?

Mookyjooky, don't quit making custom covers just b/c of people who think the law will never get them. Your covers are some of the best I've seen so far.

Anyways, I have seen sites that host covers get shut down before, but I've never heard about companies sueing those sites. Guess its just something I've missed.

It's something to be aware of for certain. In my mind it seems that the farther removed from current gen stuff we are, the less likely someone is to get pissed, but that seems like a wholly random and arbitrary judgment on my part. I'm sure the SNES or Genesis projects could come under fire.

Be careful, all, and heed any advice given as well intentioned. Mooky, I hope you'll reconsider abandoning this project.

daroga

Any thoughts on what the "offical" color of the N64 is? For my own twisted purposes, I'm customzing the covers so that the spines all match. I did the same for the SNES, but that was easy as I used roughly the same teal as is on the top of most of the Nintendo-made cart labels (see Mario World, etc.). But the N64 I'm having a harder time with figuring out the right one. I think the green pictured below works well, but looking for any sugggestions. Thanks!

Green
Grey
Blue

I think the blue looks good, but why not use the nice looking title artwork that was originally made for the game?

[quote name='magius360']I think the blue looks good, but why not use the nice looking title artwork that was originally made for the game?[/QUOTE]

I'd like a very uniform look across all the games, so I'm giving this a shot. Not to mention this allows me to cheat and print spine only covers for the games that aren't done yet to have them looking right on the shelf before we get some more finished. ;)

daroga

Alrighty, went with a style that mirrored the look of the N64 itself. Have a look.

The Photoshop file can be found here.

I'll post pics when I get things printed and in cases later this week.

daroga

Everyone take a deep breathe....

IF Nintendo or any other publisher decides to try and shut this project down I will handle it. No I don't have some all powerful contact at any of these companies, but it does help that we are a review site. I am sure if I had them pull the sales figures for the DS cases that it would more than offset any type of negative image they think this project or any of these projects is creating.

Remember that we are a team creating these covers for the common goal of having a massive collection of covers that anyone can print to enhance the look of their game collection. I know tension can mount, but everyone just stay cool.

[quote name='Snowcone']Everyone take a deep breathe....

IF Nintendo or any other publisher decides to try and shut this project down I will handle it. No I don't have some all powerful contact at any of these companies, but it does help that we are a review site. I am sure if I had them pull the sales figures for the DS cases that it would more than offset any type of negative image they think this project or any of these projects is creating.

Remember that we are a team creating these covers for the common goal of having a massive collection of covers that anyone can print to enhance the look of their game collection. I know tension can mount, but everyone just stay cool.[/QUOTE]
...?

Are you getting hassled? Is there further backstory posted elsewhere?

Edit: Ahh, nevermind. I saw what you were talking about.

Ok, I have aprrox. 50 cases from http://www.mediacases.com with the plastic sleeves I want to unload. I am selling them for $ .61 cents each plus what ever the shipping cost is to send to who buys them. Not making any money off this .61cents is the price that I paid for the cases and shipping to get to me. Private message me if anyone is interested. I can accept paypal and money orders.

[quote name='ItoBandito']Ok, I have aprrox. 50 cases from http://www.mediacases.com with the plastic sleeves I want to unload. I am selling them for $1.70 each plus what ever the shipping cost is to send to who buys them. Not making any money off this $1.70 is the price that I paid for the cases and shipping to get to me. Private message me if anyone is interested. I can accept paypal and money orders.[/QUOTE]

Did you buy those from someone else, cause they only cost me $0.55 (shipped) each from mediashelving.com?

Hey, would any of you guys be willing to post some of those cases to the UK (I'd send you the payment first of course)? The site that sells them only posts to the US and Canada. Damn!

[quote name='Backlash']Did you buy those from someone else, cause they only cost me $0.55 (shipped) each from mediashelving.com?[/QUOTE]

Depends on where you live. For me in Ohio it was $61.84 shipped for the case of 100.

daroga

[quote name='daroga']Depends on where you live. For me in Ohio it was $61.84 shipped for the case of 100.

daroga[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but that's still only 62 cents each. It should never get over 65 or 70 cents, I'd think. Certainly not $1.70, which he had before correcting his price.

Also, this project has slowed way down. Hopefully I will get some time soon to try to correct some of those raw scans, but I was also hoping to have more scans coming in...they've dried up a lot.

[quote name='ItoBandito']Ok, I have aprrox. 50 cases from http://www.mediacases.com with the plastic sleeves I want to unload. I am selling them for $ .61 cents each plus what ever the shipping cost is to send to who buys them. Not making any money off this .61cents is the price that I paid for the cases and shipping to get to me. Private message me if anyone is interested. I can accept paypal and money orders.[/QUOTE]
How much would you charge me for shipping to Venezuela? I need about 20 cases.

[quote name='Backlash']
Also, this project has slowed way down. Hopefully I will get some time soon to try to correct some of those raw scans, but I was also hoping to have more scans coming in...they've dried up a lot.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it has slowed down.. Not sure why, exactly, because there are still a lot of megapopular N64 games that don't have covers yet.. Like WaveRace64 and Turok Dinosaur Hunter.

I still have the option of uploading a couple I made from the web, although the caveat is decreased clarity on them. It would allow a few people to finish their collecitons, though.

Anyway, the last person to submit scans was Fatbat, which was quite a while ago. I was gonna do some covers, but I have a ton of exams and finals coming up and I've been really busy.

[quote name='slash000']Yeah it has slowed down.. Not sure why, exactly, because there are still a lot of megapopular N64 games that don't have covers yet.. Like WaveRace64 and Turok Dinosaur Hunter.

I still have the option of uploading a couple I made from the web, although the caveat is decreased clarity on them. It would allow a few people to finish their collecitons, though.

Anyway, the last person to submit scans was Fatbat, which was quite a while ago. I was gonna do some covers, but I have a ton of exams and finals coming up and I've been really busy.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I need both Wave Race and Turok. There are still a couple others I need. I went through some of my old stuff but I couldn't find any more boxes. I'll try posting a link to this thread on some other message boards and maybe we can get some more scans.

Originally Posted by slash000.
Anyway, the last person to submit scans was Fatbat, which was quite a while ago.

Actually, someone posted a few raw scans after me. They never listed a name.

[quote name='magius360']What kind of size/quality paper are you guys using to print these out?[/QUOTE]

Legal size paper, and just regular stock. I tried printing them on 25% cotton paper and then on 100% cotton paper, hoping to get a crisper color, but I just got the opposite. It's a small difference, but why use the $$$ paper if the regular stuff looks better.

I'll buy n64 boxes in October/November-ish off eBay. I'm going on a road trip for a month, then moving, then getting a new job, then I'll start to participate more... everyone has their excuses I guess. I was expecting a lot more partcipation from the digitpress guys since so many of them have near complete/complete n64 collections. Oh well...

Nate

Hey, I'm a brand new newbie. Anyways, I just uploaded a few game box scans for you.

Top Gear Rally
Top Gear Rally 2
Beetle Adventure Racing
Donald Duck Goin Quackers
Nagano Winter Olympics

After reading this thread I will upload Wave Race for you right now. Good Luck!! Thanks for all the hard work you guys have put in, these covers are amazing.

[quote name='4tygames']Hey, I'm a brand new newbie. Anyways, I just uploaded a few game box scans for you.

Top Gear Rally
Top Gear Rally 2
Beetle Adventure Racing
Donald Duck Goin Quackers
Nagano Winter Olympics

After reading this thread I will upload Wave Race for you right now. Good Luck!! Thanks for all the hard work you guys have put in, these covers are amazing.[/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for the help! Really appreciate it! :)

daroga

Awesome! Eventually (hopefully soon) slash and I (and McCheese?) will find some time to turn all the scans into finished covers, so keep 'em coming.

Just in case, anybody have South Park Rally? That's the last one I need for my personal collection....at least until I find a copy of Space Invaders 64.

Thank you 4tygames for uploading Xtreme G2 and Waverace, I have been waiting for these covers for a while now.

Ok Cruis'n USA is up. Sorry, thats all of my game boxes. I have more, but you already have those already. :) One other thing, I noticed on the Indiana Jones cover, there is a big old blockbuster sticker. I know it was a blockbuster exclusive, but I removed my sticker. Do you want a scan of that?

I have a couple of ideas as well for receiving more game boxes. First, maybe we should contact ebay sellers that have a game box we need and ask them nicely if they could scan it for us. Second, maybe a contact on the official nintendo forums would work too. The people on there are really helpful and may help us reach our goal of all 295 U.S. n64 game boxes.

I still need a bunch of covers for my personal collection. I have been buying many used games lately. If you have

*Cruis'n World
*Aerofighters Assault
*Wetrix
*Pilotwings 64

those would be greatly appreciated.

yes on the indiana jones cover. I was thinking after we had them all I would go back and nit pick them (there are some with stickers, etc.). I'll try to update the list tomorrow.

Nate

I think I am missing something, is everyone uploading there scans to that snackbar site? I ask because I am interested in the Top Gear Rally scan that some one said they uploaded but do not see it there. Anyone know whats up?

[quote name='ItoBandito']I think I am missing something, is everyone uploading there scans to that snackbar site? I ask because I am interested in the Top Gear Rally scan that some one said they uploaded but do not see it there. Anyone know whats up?[/QUOTE]

The raw scans are being uploaded to http://ukbeats.com/n64/raw Then once they have been edited they are being uploaded to the snackbar site.

[quote name='Backlash']Nice - you did the hard part. I'll see if I can fix up the regular spine for that this week.[/QUOTE]

Good deal. :) I knew someone would come through on that. :)

daroga

Now I have one idea to get some covers to scan...buy them on ebay. NOW I KNOW that they won't be cheap (They are all 5 dollars give or take a dollar including shipping). But you can get some rarer/harder to find boxes this way. I was looking and I saw Command & Conquer and I figured that, never hearing of it until now it was pretty rare. When I look at the auction I figured out that it was sealed in the box! for only 10 bucks! So I figure some guys.

Worse comes to worse ask the seller to scan a copy of the box in 300dpi and then say "Uhhh I don't think I want it" :D.

Just an idea.

hey guys,
So I've been having a screwed up past 3 or 4 weeks. I've been moving between cities and been with and without a stable internet connection.

What'd I miss? I see we've gained a few more raw scans.

[quote name='slash000']hey guys,
So I've been having a screwed up past 3 or 4 weeks. I've been moving between cities and been with and without a stable internet connection.

What'd I miss? I see we've gained a few more raw scans.[/QUOTE]

Not a whole lot I don't think. Seems like the pace is picking up again though.

daroga

[quote name='ryan838']When I try to go to the ukbeats.com/n64/raw link I get an error saying Error: Your Userfile is not writeable.[/QUOTE]

Crap, me too. I really hope we didn't lose those!

bread's done
Back