Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm - Gen Discussion & Info

omg.. those screenshots were real! I dont care what ugly ass box art they use, I'm going to get this game. If only they could do Dragonball Z like this. Hopefully the actual fighting is good.

Gamespot's first look at the game

Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm First Look
Namco Bandai gets its sexy jutsu on in this upcoming PS3-exclusive Naruto title.
By Ricardo Torres, GameSpot
Posted Apr 16, 2008 5:46 pm PT
Reps from developer Cyber Connect 2 and Namco Bandai gave us a first look at the recently announced Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm at Namco Bandai's recent press event. Veteran developer Cyber Connect 2 is working on the original game, which will feature more than a dozen playable characters and offer players the chance to duke it out with a host of familiar characters, as well as explore Hidden Leaf Village, Naruto's 'hood. While we weren't able to play the game, we got a brief demo of the title from Cyber Connect 2 CEO Hiroshi Matsuyama.

Our demo consisted of a quick look at one-on-one fighting in a few locations and an epic fight against one of the game's bosses, Gaara of the Desert. The first demo focused on Naruto facing off against an opponent in an open grassy field. Matsuyama walked us through the game's control scheme, which looks simple but flexible. You'll use circle to attack, X to jump, and square to throw shuriken. Double tapping X will let you execute a stylish double jump that you can direct with the left analog stick. However, the key element of the control setup is the triangle button, which is your chakra and serves as a modifier to the basic moves you can perform. For example, Matsuyama tapped the button before throwing shuriken, which powered up the lone projectile to a volley for a cost on the meter. Holding the chakra button down will also let you charge up your chakra meter, while double tapping it will let you perform a powerful attack. Besides Naruto's own abilities, you'll be able to tap those of his buddies Sasuke and Sakura, by hitting L1 and R1 respectively, who'll jump out to perform an attack on your foe. Once summoned, you'll have to wait a bit of time before calling them out again, so you'll have to be smart about when you use them. The final bit of the control scheme is the item selection, which you'll use with the D pad. The system seems to pretty elegant and balances the ability to do flashy moves with an accessible control scheme.

The second part of the demo focused on Naruto fighting Gaara, who was putting the power of Shukaku (a giant demon sealed inside him) to good use. The start of the fight makes you think the battle is going to take a good long time as you see normal-sized Naruto facing off against the goliath and not doing much damage. However, the pace quickens as Naruto finds a weak spot on the boss, which allows him to do considerably more damage. Once the boss suffers a set amount of damage, a new sequence kicks up, a God-of-War-style button inputting game, which has Naruto hopping around on the thrashing creature. After a few sequences, Naruto is kicked back and calls out Gamabunta, shifting the whole scale of the fight to a much broader scope, which was really cool.

The visuals in the work-in-progress game already look pretty stunning. Naruto and company look great on the PlayStation 3. While it's not a tremendous accomplishment to capture the look of the anime on the PS3, due to its hardware muscle, we have to say we were mightily impressed by how the game moved. The camera movement and overall performance were already smooth, which was impressive.

Based on what we saw, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm is going to be one to watch for this fall. The game is gorgeous and nails the atmosphere of the anime. The fighting, especially the boss fight, looks like it's going to be fun, and we're pleased to see the control is being kept simple for it. We're anxious to see how that system comes together and how the whole town-exploration segments are going to work. The game gives a good first impression, and we're hoping it delivers. Expect us to follow this one closely as its launch approaches. Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm is slated to ship this fall exclusively for the PlayStation 3.

-GameSpot

holy crap that's awesome. some crazy ass fighting and use of the environment.

can't wait for the demo. after playing DBZ Burst Limit, you can tell how good the visuals were compared to the 360 Naruto: Rise of a Ninja. and if this game is said to be visually better than Burst Limit...that's just sick!

[quote name='The Mana Knight']New HD trailer on Gametrailers mixed in:
http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=25&starttime=180

It's now an OMG, I want this now.[/quote]

holy f*cking shit...holy mother f*cking shit...

this game is the sole reason why i want to get a PS3...nothing else, all the other games are crap, but this game...Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm... makes me want to shell out $400 to get a PS3!!!

BELIEVE IT!!!! :applause::applause::applause:

I will almost certainly pick it up (shortly) after its release, depending on reviews.

It better not turn out like RoaN did. *shudder*

(And yes, I know they are being made by completely different devs.)

[quote name='Rig']I will almost certainly pick it up (shortly) after its release, depending on reviews.

It better not turn out like RoaN did. *shudder*

(And yes, I know they are being made by completely different devs.)[/QUOTE]Ubi Soft had an internal team make the 360 Naruto game. Tomy/D3 publishes the Nintendo Naruto games. Bandai publishes the PlayStation Naruto games (Cyber Connect 2, makers of previous PS Naruto games are making this).

[quote name='Serpentor']even watching the broken video, it still looks impressive... i'm a bit confused, is this game a PS3 exclusive?[/QUOTE]Most definitely yes. Naruto has different publishers on all platforms. The only only platforms this can come to are PS2 and PSP, but they have their own series.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Ubi Soft had an internal team make the 360 Naruto game. Tomy/D3 publishes the Nintendo Naruto games. Bandai publishes the PlayStation Naruto games (Cyber Connect 2, makers of previous PS Naruto games are making this).[/quote]

I don't know if I cared much about the previous PS2 titles. I tried Ultimate Ninja...but wasn't that interested.

The only one from the series I have is Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 for GC, and I really enjoyed that one. That import that zew showed a while back looked damn fine (Accel 2?).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Most definitely yes. Naruto has different publishers on all platforms. The only only platforms this can come to are PS2 and PSP, but they have their own series.[/quote]

thanks... i never paid that much attention to the previous Naruto games, they don't look that good, except maybe the X360 one, but that one also slipped through my fingers for some reasons.

Anyhow, this one particularly stand out, i'm very impressed with the cartoon styled game play. I also remember seeing the ad saying "only on the PS3."

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/07/02/ton-of-new-naruto-gameplay-vids-readies-us-for-july-demo/
Here are seven gameplay vids from Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm, the upcoming PS3-exclusive, anime-ramen-ninja title. The visuals in this game, as we've said for the longest time now, look spectacular and we can't wait to try it out. In fact, it won't be too long before we can -- remember, there's an exclusive demo included with this month's issue of Qore. So, while you wait for the issue (should be out this Thursday, July 3), enjoy these vids to get you pumped up for the demo. Six more after the break.

Tons of videos together. Really awesome.

I've been waiting for this one to come out ever since I heard about it. I'm sure it will be one I pick up as soon as it available.

So, any opinions on the games, or has anyone heard opinions from the media?

Normally I dismiss licensed games, but the Bleach DS game was pretty good, and I heard that the DBZ games were excellent despite being not my style of setting. Naruto I can handle and would be interested in buying if the actual fighting gameplay is good.

I wonder how this became a PS3 exclusive though. It seems Sony is being a lot more picky (and a lot more sparse) with what they shell out money for to make exclusive. They nabbed MGS4 and Final Fantasy 13 + Versus. Those are some big names, and Naruto is also a pretty big name.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It'll be out during E3 week if you don't want Qore.[/QUOTE]Yeah, exactly. It's like how OXM got Eternal Sonata and Rainbow Six Vegas first.

Anyway, it's kind of funny because I think it was very smart to put the demo in Qore, because many gamers are impatient (not all), and will do almost anything to get their hands on a certain game/demo early (as long as it isn't expensive). I guarantee Qore's sales will be pretty good for this. Well, I'm not really that way, but I'm considering because I want to play it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's exclusive because Namco Bandai has the Naruto license for Sony systems, so Sony isn't really a part of it.

Rig: $3[/quote]

Thanks, Frisky. I may be able to wait it out until E3 week. (I didn't actually know when it'd go up free until reading that here.)

I think it's a good idea for Sony to include an early beta into Qore... simply from a business standpoint. It'll help expand and circulate the Qore user base.

The game is based off the Narutimate Ninja series which started on the PS2. I played those games a LOT. I'm wondering how the gameplay will transition into the PS3 version. I'm hoping there are still two playing fields, but based on the videos I haven't seen anything like it.

Oh well.

Consider me subscribed to Qore if there are more incentives like this... Thumbs up.

I couldn't do it. I couldn't pay the $3. The cheapass in me won't allow it.

So...how is the demo? I figured a few of you would've thrown down the cash and got it.

[quote name='Rig']I couldn't do it. I couldn't pay the $3. The cheapass in me won't allow it.

So...how is the demo? I figured a few of you would've thrown down the cash and got it.[/quote]

I really liked the demo you get to play as Naruto with Sakura and Sasuke as your support characters or you can play as Kakashi with Guy as your support character.

I thought the controls were fairly simple, granted I don't like having to push a button to block (I'm old school that way) but I felt it played like the other Naruto games on the PS2, but it just flowed a lot better for me. Not to mention I was actually able to hold my own against my niece for once ^^

The full game is going to offer a few more modes and seemingly a great deal of fun according to the Qore videos so I'm excited for it.

Keep in mind that I'm going to pick this up day one regardless, so I'm a bit bias when it comes to this game.

If you are unsure well July 17th the demo comes out for everyone (if I'm not mistaken) and check it out and have fun.

I ended up subscribing to Qore...

The Ultimate Ninja series transitioned pretty well into full 3D... I'll give my impressions later... too lazy.

Very impressed so far, they nailed the 3D fighting. The cel shading is of course beautiful, and the specials as well. Although combat is fairly simple, there's enough "extras" to make it deep. The items, partners, chakra, in combination with directioning the joystick while you mash O makes it work well. This was very impressive, and yet disappointing to know that it wont have online at the same time.

Wait, what's this about online play? Will they have online play or no?

And more impressions for a person who hasn't played any of the previous games and hasn't seen any Naruto anime (yet).

I'm looking for a fun fighter, it doesn't need to be complex and tournament play worthy. But it does need to have a solid foundation for fighting while still entertaining the kids that we sometimes have over.

[quote name='Vanigan']Wait, what's this about online play? Will they have online play or no?

And more impressions for a person who hasn't played any of the previous games and hasn't seen any Naruto anime (yet).

I'm looking for a fun fighter, it doesn't need to be complex and tournament play worthy. But it does need to have a solid foundation for fighting while still entertaining the kids that we sometimes have over.[/quote]No online multiplayer, but they have plans for DLC

I'll admit, the first time I played this game, I didn't quite understand how to play it, due to being use to the original Ultimate Ninja games. Once I got the hang of it, the game is OMG, I can't stop playing it. It's way better than I thought and I can't stop playing. The combat is so much fun and quite refreshing.

man that demo is sweet, if only it had online multiplayer I would be all over this, on a side note I just cant seem to get a hang of the controls, I can never seem to pull off their ultimate move when I want.

O well

HOLY PIECES OF COW! This game is a stunner. I had just going to play the demo to see how it was, and ended up playing for close to a half an hour. This is on my want list.

Played the demo here's my impression:

This game is the second coming of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.

my wife thought it was a cartoon and not the actual game when it was playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm certainly not gushing after playing the demo. Maybe it just takes some time, but I didn't care much for the combat. Seemed a lot like those DBZ fighters (with weapons), and I haven't been able to get into those.

I'm still almost certainly going to pick this up, as I hope they do a great job with the adventure. Maybe I'll give it some more time later today.

bread's done
Back