NEOGEO X GOLD Limited Edition $99.99 @BestBuy

Might've been worth it if it actually had the good Neo Geo titles that don't see many releases. Stuff like Pulstar and Last Blade. Instead it's loaded with the crusty old titles we've seen a thousand times over.

[quote name='Jimmienoman']Not anymore. Silver still has only 15 days to PM to BBY prices. They have 60 days to return.

While you can return/rebuy, once you return too many times you can get banned from returns for 90 days[/QUOTE]

This is not true. I asked the guy working at BB the other day about their new return policy while he was price matching Bioshock Infinite for me (after the 15 day limit since I am a silver member) and he said silver members still have up to 60 days to price match their [Best Buy] own prices. Whereas non-silver members only have 15 days. I think you are getting it confused with Best Buy price matching with other stores. Because BB only price matches other stores up to 15 days for both silver and non-silver members.

Not sure about your second part though since I've never heard of that.

[quote name='daigen']Ordered the system and an extra joystick. Been wanting this since it was released in Dec. 2012. It does have it's shortcomings but I love these sort of products and the price is reasonable enough for me.

To potential buyers, know this:
  • the system only software emulates, it does not have true neo geo hardware inside
  • TOMMO's future as a company is uncertain so future support (both technical and product) is questionable
  • the screen on the handheld is poor by today's standard (handheld, mobile phone, etc.)
  • no online delivery method for system updates or game downloads. Future games will only be sold on physical SD cards, and with TOMMO's future uncertain, don't expect future games (just to be safe)
  • graphics are not up-scaled, so even TV output (HDMI or Composite) is not a superior viewing option
  • no ability to save game progress
  • handheld battery in not replaceable, so once the battery is dead so is the portability
  • handheld battery only last for 3-4 hours between charges

So despite the above I still bought one, but it's importent to know what you're buying.

UPDATE - http://www.edge-online.com/news/neo-geo-x-getting-15-more-games-this-april/ - given that there's only a few days left in April I'm not holding my breath for this. I hope it comes out but at this point it's anyone's guess...[/QUOTE]

Just some food for thought. (since I said something similar on JPS and got called out for bad journalism) It seems the 15 games are broken up into 5 groups of 3 and each group or at least the first group includes the data transfer cable. From what I read only the first batch was set to release in April, but aside from that lazy announcement... I doubt it. Amazon currently is listing all 5 packs (no pictures though) with a May 31st (if I recall correctly) release for the sum of... $24.99. At the current rate the system is going, I wouldn't be shocked if they scrapped the idea altogether though.

Yeah I'm in the $50 or less boat. I can understand how some of you spent $199, but this is CAG. I go cheap where no cheap has gone before.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Are they announcing new games for this still, or is this all we're getting for titles? (I soooo want Neo Mr. Do!)[/QUOTE]

They have a handful of game cards coming out, but they haven't announced what's on them. It's looking like each card will have 2 games and retail for $25, though. As long as they make them both good games and don't pair World Heroes 2 Jet with All Stars Baseball or whatever, I'll be cool with it.

I love SNK/Neo-Geo, so much so that I went out and bought an arcade machine 2 years ago (while not cost-effective for everyone, I feel it is the very best way to play these games).

This system is all about someone taking your expectations and memories and wrapping them up in cheap plastic.

The controller is flimsy, the system was built with bargin-basement materials and they didn't integrate any features that one would expect for the current era. I've know quite a few people that have accidentally shoved the charging port into the system after 2-3 times of using it. The colors look downright awful on a television, mainly the red suffers from color-bleeding. The sound is tinny and not right at all.

I told myself I'd buy one just because I'm a collector AND a hoarder, but not at $99. Like many have posted above, I'm in the $50 or less boat. I considered getting the bundle just for the joystick but it is simply not a great joystick. It reminds you OF a great joystick, but the build is deceiving...it's like Mad Catz circa 2000 made a Neo-Geo system.

That negative youtube review means absolutely nothing.

I just looked at my unit this morning before I left for work and I still think it's a good, solid unit.

If I really wanted, I could make a video review of my handheld unit and make this thing look like gold.

It's all in the perception of the owner. Do you equate a lightweight unit as being cheap? If yes, then don't buy it. This unit is definitely lightweight. Nowhere close to the weight of a 3ds or ps vita. But I don't make a connection that if something's light, then it's cheap.

For 99 dollars, you get a docking unit, controller and handheld unit. Not to mention 20 fun games. Definitely worth the 99 dollars that it's currently priced at.

I laugh at how everyone is so easily convinced that this system is garbage because of one youtube review that's posted in this thread.

[quote name='TheOpusFuller']That negative youtube review means absolutely nothing.

I just looked at my unit this morning before I left for work and I still think it's a good, solid unit.

If I really wanted, I could make a video review of my handheld unit and make this thing look like gold.

It's all in the perception of the owner. Do you equate a lightweight unit as being cheap? If yes, then don't buy it. This unit is definitely lightweight. Nowhere close to the weight of a 3ds or ps vita. But I don't make a connection that if something's light, then it's cheap.

For 99 dollars, you get a docking unit, controller and handheld unit. Not to mention 20 fun games. Definitely worth the 99 dollars that it's currently priced at.

I laugh at how everyone is so easily convinced that this system is garbage because of one youtube review that's posted in this thread.[/QUOTE]

It's not just one video. Also even if it was why do you need more than one? The video was pretty comprehensive. Anyway...the fact that you had to recheck to see if it was cheap or not says a lot. That's something you usually notice from the get go. You sound like you are in denial and you just want to drag others into your bad decision.

[quote name='Cocojames333']It's not just one video. Also even if it was why do you need more than one? The video was pretty comprehensive. Anyway...the fact that you had to recheck to see if it was cheap or not says a lot. That's something you usually notice from the get go. You sound like you are in denial and you just want to drag others into your bad decision.[/QUOTE]

Sure, there are some bad reviews. There are also some very good reviews. And, if nothing else, the joystick is almost universally liked as it plays like a slightly lighter original NeoGeo joystick. Also, the first game card release is coming with a firmware update that will at least attempt to fix the scanline issue. It's not a product for everyone, but there are plenty of people who like it.

Besides, the brunt of the issues people had with it on release was on using it as a portable system. If i wanted a portable system, I'd probably look elsewhere. But for someone wanting to relive nostalgia on their tv, it's really not bad.

[quote name='ProppaT']Sure, there are some bad reviews. There are also some very good reviews. And, if nothing else, the joystick is almost universally liked as it plays like a slightly lighter original NeoGeo joystick. Also, the first game card release is coming with a firmware update that will at least attempt to fix the scanline issue. It's not a product for everyone, but there are plenty of people who like it.

Besides, the brunt of the issues people had with it on release was on using it as a portable system. If i wanted a portable system, I'd probably look elsewhere. But for someone wanting to relive nostalgia on their tv, it's really not bad.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the significant problems people had were with the dock/TV output. The handheld most people felt was pretty consistent with the Dingoo upon which it was built. The joystick is also not great outside of the dock as there are pretty significant lag and responsiveness issues when connecting to other devices.

I've had one since launch that I received as a Christmas gift and I think $100 is probably reasonable, but this is not something most people are going to play on a regular basis nor is it anywhere close to as good as the real thing in whatever form.

[quote name='TheOpusFuller']That negative youtube review means absolutely nothing.

I laugh at how everyone is so easily convinced that this system is garbage because of one youtube review that's posted in this thread.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='Cocojames333']You sound like you are in denial and you just want to drag others into your bad decision.[/QUOTE]

lol so reviews are useful unless you don't agree with them. The hardware itself seems fine my only concern is the emulation. I don't like the red bleeding or the sound so I probably won't keep mine but I could definitely see the appeal in one and wouldn't say getting one at $100 is a bad decision.

I just got the arcade stick having in mind modding it to use it on my classic xbox with the neogeo emulator (final burn legends)

[quote name='Green Card200']lol so reviews are useful unless you don't agree with them. The hardware itself seems fine my only concern is the emulation. I don't like the red bleeding or the sound so I probably won't keep mine but I could definitely see the appeal in one and wouldn't say getting one at $100 is a bad decision.[/QUOTE]

So your only concern with a system that emulates games is the emulation? Yeaa, I would call that a deal breaker.

[quote name='gentlyporking']So your only concern with a system that emulates games is the emulation? Yeaa, I would call that a deal breaker.[/QUOTE]

It is a dealbreaker if it is as bad as some are saying. It seemed fine in the video linked by icewolf.

Arggghhh, sold out and no price match from Amazon.

Is this online only, or does Best Buy actually stock them in their stores?

I'll still wait, I'm not so keen on dropping $100 on it, not within my WTP. :lol:

[quote name='takuhi']Arggghhh, sold out and no price match from Amazon.

Is this online only, or does Best Buy actually stock them in their stores?[/QUOTE]

I think it's Online Only. Never seen it before at Best Buy.

My ONLY interest in buying this poorly designed device is that, via custom firmware, hackers will eventually fix a lot of the software based issues and also add support for ROM's. As others have said: $50 or bust.

By the way it looks and from reviews... I wouldn't even pay $50 for that thing. Maybe $30 for novelty.

Hell, you can find GBA Micro for $30 and it has WAY better value than that.

[quote name='Cocojames333']It's not just one video. Also even if it was why do you need more than one? The video was pretty comprehensive. Anyway...the fact that you had to recheck to see if it was cheap or not says a lot. That's something you usually notice from the get go. You sound like you are in denial and you just want to drag others into your bad decision.[/QUOTE]

Why do you need more than 1, Because its the users opinion. Are you seriously asking that?

I rechecked because I thought that reviewer was on crack. I always thought it was a solid handheld. I still think it is.

I'm not in denial at all. Sorry bud.

[quote name='TheOpusFuller']Why do you need more than 1, Because its the users opinion. Are you seriously asking that?

I rechecked because I thought that reviewer was on crack. I always thought it was a solid handheld. I still think it is.

I'm not in denial at all. Sorry bud.[/QUOTE]

Classic denial symptoms. Denial...then anger.

All the negative reviews about this thing seem to come form people who owned the original AES. If you are comparing it to the original, of course you aren't going to be satisfied with it. MOST people, at least i would assume, never got the chance to own the original AES due to price. I was waiting for $100 and I jumped when I had the chance. Can't see this being that big of a disappointment at $100 myself, but to each their own i guess

On a side note the amazon price has jumped from 130 to 180. Those of you waiting for $50 are going to be highly disappointed. Its never going to see $50

[quote name='grimhope']All the negative reviews about this thing seem to come form people who owned the original AES. If you are comparing it to the original, of course you aren't going to be satisfied with it. MOST people, at least i would assume, never got the chance to own the original AES due to price. I was waiting for $100 and I jumped when I had the chance. Can't see this being that big of a disappointment at $100 myself, but to each their own i guess[/QUOTE]

Well, at least one reviewer demonstrates knowledge of how to emulate on his PSP and his opinion clearly states that it's much better than this thing. :)

[quote name='grimhope']On a side note the amazon price has jumped from 130 to 180. Those of you waiting for $50 are going to be highly disappointed. Its never going to see $50[/QUOTE]

When it was $130 people were saying it would never drop to $99. Lol! $50 or bust.

[quote name='grimhope']On a side note the amazon price has jumped from 130 to 180. Those of you waiting for $50 are going to be highly disappointed. Its never going to see $50[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't really be disappointed since I wouldn't have wanted to pay more than $50 anyways, so if anything I'd be glad I didn't spend that $50 on it, and even more glad I didn't drop $100 on it. Piece of crap, or greatest emulator ever, my price point is $50 or nothing, and I'd be happy with nothing in this case.

Alright, this is bullcrap!! I tried to get a price match on the 130 dollar Neo Geo Gold X I bought from Best Buy last week down to the 99.99 price that they have advertised on their own website, and I was told that they won't do it due to the item currently being out of stock and they don't price match with out of stock items, whether it is a competitor or themselves.

How are you not going to honor a price drop that is listed on your own website from where your customers bought the item from just because it is listed "out of stock?" I just don't understand this policy. I don't want to return the item, I want to keep it, I just want the 30 dollar price difference. fuck Best Buy!! I am kind of feeling shocked by this and kind of want to start taking my business elsewhere if Best Buy is going to pull crap like this; which they did, obviously. At least I will go to a store where they don't have price dropping guarantee, so I don't have to worry if they'll honor it or not.

I am so disappointed in Best Buy right now. :nottalking:

[quote name='icewolf74']Alright, this is bullcrap!! I tried to get a price match on the 130 dollar Neo Geo Gold X I bought from Best Buy last week down to the 99.99 price that they have advertised on their own website, and I was told that they won't do it due to the item currently being out of stock and they don't price match with out of stock items, whether it is a competitor or themselves.

How are you not going to honor a price drop that is listed on your own website from where your customers bought the item from just because it is listed "out of stock?" I just don't understand this policy. I don't want to return the item, I want to keep it, I just want the 30 dollar price difference. fuck Best Buy!! I am kind of feeling shocked by this and kind of want to start taking my business elsewhere if Best Buy is going to pull crap like this; which they did, obviously. At least I will go to a store where they don't have price dropping guarantee, so I don't have to worry if they'll honor it or not.

I am so disappointed in Best Buy right now. :nottalking:[/QUOTE]Their PM policy changed in March so that you have to do PMs at time of purchase and can't do it post-purchase.

The only way you can do a post-purchase "PM" is to do a buy-and-return within 14 days, though if you return too many times in a 6 month period, they'll bar you from returns for some period of time.

Feel free to try and do a buy-and-return, though most likely, you'll get one tick towards getting banned from returns.

bread's done
Back