NEOGEO X GOLD Limited Edition $99.99 @BestBuy

So they'll return the item even though I've already opened it and took everything out of the box? Also, do I need to pack up everything and actually take the item to the store if I do a return-rebuy, provided the stores offer the 99.99 price tag.

I do believe I have 1 tick on a return-rebuy on me after price matching God of War: Ascension a week ago thanks to a $20 dollar coupon they offered on their website. Unfortunately, the girl handling my price matching didn't know what to do except to do in price matching my full priced God of War purchase a month prior and to do a return-rebuy so that I could use the coupon post-purchase. She didn't say anything about having a mark on me, but now that you've mentioned it, I probably do. :drool:

Although, I've done probably about 5 post-purchase price matching since learning of it a few months ago, even though all 5 of those games are bought at Best Buy. Do they always do a return-rebuy whenever price matching an advertised item post purchase? If so, I may have to stop as I don't want to be banned from doing it in the future with a really good advertised deal. Although, they haven't said anything to me about being banned from doing it. This is the first I am learning of it.

I'm excited to get this - i think It'll be a good little device, and the packaging and presentation is nice.

As said before hackers should eventually put this device to work with a lot of other emulation.

[quote name='gmsick']When it was $130 people were saying it would never drop to $99. Lol! $50 or bust.[/QUOTE]
I was just saying that in another thread that I'm sure it'll drop below 130$ soon saying you could spend that money elsewhere and some idiot fanboy started getting all upset just because I said you could get a 3DS for the same price and started saying basicly saying I couldn't be an old school gamer because of that.Personally I don't think I'd consider picking it up till it was below 80$.

I received mine today. I don't consider myself an audio or videophile; nor do I even care if I am playing in 16:9 compared to a native 4:3. I figured I would just buy this thing as a fun little novelty... and even by that standard it was a mistake. This system is a piece of absolute trash. The HDMI out looks REALLY bad; and the composite isn't much better. This doesn't even compare to a hacked PSP let alone an actual AES. So disappointing. The only positive is that the joystick is decent and seems comparable the old AES one. I had attributed the criticism to purists hating on emulation, but I promise that isn't the case. The video quality on this is awful in every respect.

[quote name='howlinmad']Saw it go back in stock earlier today, but I missed it. :([/QUOTE]

Probably wasn't really in stock anyways. Often times bestbuy's online system sucks. That happened to me with dragon quest vi about 3 times. Placed order, canceled. placed order, canceled. etc.

[quote name='Vigilante']Why do people want this so much...? I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm genuinely curious as to why. :???:

Is it a pipe dream to hope it drops to $49.99?[/QUOTE]Unless there is a liquidation sale, I would say so.

[quote name='grimhope']On a side note the amazon price has jumped from 130 to 180. Those of you waiting for $50 are going to be highly disappointed. Its never going to see $50[/QUOTE] I didn't have high hopes or want for this thing to begin with, but after removing brand names and considering the quality of the hardware and gameplay issues, I don't think $50/$60 is asking for too much.

I'm sure that Neo Geo diehards will lap it up regardless though, so I'm sort of relieved I won't be able to buy one at $50 and then store it in my cabinet of neglected Madcatz sticks and plug-and-play crap.

Came back last night again, ordered and hoping for the best.
Status is: Order in process of being fulfilled; Usually ships in 3 - 5 days. I really hope this isn't the translated Bestbuy.com status of 'sucks to be you when we cancel it'. Raising hell if it does. :(

[quote name='HotJuicyBurgers']Probably wasn't really in stock anyways. Often times bestbuy's online system sucks. That happened to me with dragon quest vi about 3 times. Placed order, canceled. placed order, canceled. etc.[/QUOTE]

I actually have heard a lot of bad things about this. Supposedly the video quality is pretty crappy and its not a very good emulation at all. Has anyone here actually played one? Because most reveiws ive seen have been unfavorable. I think even @gamer or GameInformer said it was blea

[quote name='shrike4242']Their PM policy changed in March so that you have to do PMs at time of purchase and can't do it post-purchase.

The only way you can do a post-purchase "PM" is to do a buy-and-return within 14 days, though if you return too many times in a 6 month period, they'll bar you from returns for some period of time.

Feel free to try and do a buy-and-return, though most likely, you'll get one tick towards getting banned from returns.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit is this true? God damn BBY keeps getting shittier and shittier. I think theyre gonna go the way of Circuit City soon. There isn't much point in shopping here much anymore. This coupled with the steadily increased shittiness of @gamer stuff is very blea

The unfavorable reviews, though, are mostly from people doing a side-by-side comparison with native hardware. I don't think that's a fair comparison given the cost of the item... good info to know, but not a reason to avoid it, IMO.

[quote name='soonersfan60']The unfavorable reviews, though, are mostly from people doing a side-by-side comparison with native hardware. I don't think that's a fair comparison given the cost of the item... good info to know, but not a reason to avoid it, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Why is it not a fair comparison? The Neo Geo is 23 years old and there is an emulator for the original DS which has a 67 mhz processor. If you are going to put an hdmi out on a unit wouldn't you provide some upscaling?

I actually kind of wish I'd have picked one up. But it's probably better it went oos and I wasn't able to get one. I have most of these games on the SNK collection and I never had an original Neo Geo so the nostalgia is lost on me.

[quote name='cag1000']Any word on the new game carts being made?[/QUOTE]

I thought these were coming out on the 25th of April, now Amazon says May 30th. What gives?

[quote name='h8b1llg8ts']I thought these were coming out on the 25th of April, now Amazon says May 30th. What gives?[/QUOTE]

Delayed. Gamestop is saying August. I would frankly be surprised if these ever come out.

[quote name='shrike4242']Their PM policy changed in March so that you have to do PMs at time of purchase and can't do it post-purchase.

The only way you can do a post-purchase "PM" is to do a buy-and-return within 14 days, though if you return too many times in a 6 month period, they'll bar you from returns for some period of time.

Feel free to try and do a buy-and-return, though most likely, you'll get one tick towards getting banned from returns.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I was banned from doing returns due to two price matches and two defective laptop returns. So now, even if something I buy from BB is broken, I am stuck with it. Awesome policy! And yes, I know that a third party is in control of the stupid return banning, but it is BB that decided to implement it.

This is right and wrong, the reason I posted this is in bold in the quote below, it really only applies to Silver members but I guess I'm a little late to the reply. As far as I'm concerned my shopping days at Best Buy have been reduced.

Here is the link where I'm getting my [http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-B...-Price-Guarantee-FAQs/td-p/662050]information from[/url].

Best Buy Low Price Guarantee
For the complete current policy and exclusions, see Best Buy Low Price Guarantee.

What’s changing?
Starting March 3, 2013, at the time of purchase only, we will price match the current pre-tax price for new, identical, immediately available products from local retail competitors and select designated major online retailers.

If Best Buy lowers a price on a product (online or in-store), we will price match within 15 days of the original purchase.

The Low Price Guarantee expands our price match policy to include all product categories except services and mobile phones with contracts.

There will be a limit of one price match per identical item, per guest.

*See complete policy for list of designated online retailers and exclusions.

What happens to my purchases made on March 2, 2013 or earlier?
The previous 30 day standard Price Match Guarantee applies for identical available products found at a local retail competitor’s store, a local Best Buy retail store or Best Buy.com.

I am a Reward Zone Premier Silver member. How does this affect me?
As a courtesy, for purchases made between March 3, 2013 and April 18, 2013, Reward Zone Premier Silver customers will receive a 60 day price match period if Best buy lowers a price on a product (online or in-store). The 15 day price match period will apply for purchases made on or after April 19, 2013.

What are my options outside the price match period?
Our stores and contact centers support adherence to Best Buy policies. While we only price match competitors at the time of purchase, we will match our own retail stores and BestBuy.com for up to 15 days from the date of purchase; please continue to watch our prices, and we’d be happy to match if our price reduces within this timeframe.

[quote name='JonnyHeartthrob']Yup. I was banned from doing returns due to two price matches and two defective laptop returns. So now, even if something I buy from BB is broken, I am stuck with it. Awesome policy! And yes, I know that a third party is in control of the stupid return banning, but it is BB that decided to implement it.[/QUOTE]

Use an amex you can challenge anything that will cost best buy MUCH more in the long run.

[quote name='Gscept']$100 bucks for this is not bad at all... Im actually one of the dumbasses that paid $199.99 when it first came out. Seeing this price makes me think "I shouldve waited". If your a true collector you will pick this up while they last. I dont think Best Buy will carry these anymore in the future. they are trying to clear these out. If your a silver I suggest jump on it and wait the sixty days to open it. If it hits below the 50% off mark than your ass is lucky.[/QUOTE]

Yup, I bought at full price too and wished I didn't. I haven't had time to play it even and now it cost me $100 to just sit there. Good strategy on the BB Silver Peeps. If Target ever drops price they have 90 day return policy. That would be the best strategy, but may never happen . I'm glad I have the system though. Not as bad as the perfectionists say it is. Don't miss out on such a low price. . The game cards are coming out soon (hopefully) so there will be plenty to play. I just hope the firmware updates fixes the video issues and we get saves!

Crossing fingers for the cars to actually release! Please Please! Me wants da Mark of Wolves!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='skiizim']This is right and wrong, the reason I posted this is in bold in the quote below, it really only applies to Silver members but I guess I'm a little late to the reply. As far as I'm concerned my shopping days at Best Buy have been reduced.[/QUOTE]

I am still sore that I was denied a 99 dollar PM after purchasing my Neo Geo Gold X for 130 dollars a week ago (see page 3 or 4 of this thread) just because it was out of stock on their own companies website and how rude the CS representative was despite me trying to be polite with her; so as far as I am concerned Best Buy is on my shit list for stores to not shop at anymore. They will sit up there with Gamestop who's been there for quite some time. I don't plan on renewing my @Gamer membership and I will let my silver membership run out. I will miss the RZ certificates though, but I guess it will just require me to wait for sales on games at Target or Amazon instead.

[quote name='blindinglights']"This button, around the side you can see, just looks like it was just mass produced"

Does he expect hand crafted buttons for his game consoles?[/QUOTE]

He's in essence comparing a $650 SNK console + $200 cartridges to a $100 console...its a troll vid, but he's obviously upset at paying $200 MSRP!

Sucka!! I will wait until it hits $50 then im getting my SNK fix.

[quote name='rieper']He's in essence comparing a $650 SNK console + $200 cartridges to a $100 console...its a troll vid, but he's obviously upset at paying $200 MSRP!

Sucka!! I will wait until it hits $50 then im getting my SNK fix.[/QUOTE]

In fairness, it's a console that cost $650 over 23 years ago. I think what people keep missing is that the Neo Geo was only expensive initially because it went after a niche market and used a good amount of memory in both the console and the cartridge games. 23 years later, those same expensive components can be had for a tiny fraction of the cost and there is no reason a $200 modern emulation based system couldn't have been built from the ground up to accurately play Neo Geo games. Instead, we got a repurposed Dingoo running an emulator that wasn't even properly licensed, basic functionality like game saves stripped out and a dock with terrible video output and joystick lag. The X is a fairly substantial disappointment as there is no reason for $200 that it couldn't have been nearly flawless.

[quote name='Olengie']Damn, why am I still hoping for another price drop. GRRRR.

At check out, you will see a spot where it allows you to redeem your certificates.[/QUOTE]

Because it's a poor port.

I received mine this morning and played it for several hours today. I think $99 is a very fair price for this system. The portable screen is not great but it's not bad either. I thought it looked perfectly fine on my HDTV, don't have a real one to compare to but I do have a retron 3 and it looks and sounds better then the emulation that does for NES and snes games.

I enjoyed playing it and I'm glad I got it at $99. I will get plenty of use out of it.

Ugh... I'm so pissed.. I got home yesterday and UPS left a note saying they tried to deliver but I wasn't home. I don't get why they didn't leave it so I called and had them hold it so I could pick it up today as opposed to them attempting and not leaving it again. I walked into the UPS location and they bring out the actual Neo Geo box with Best Buy's labels all over it. They didn't even bother packing the damn thing in a box at all. Good thing I'm not some collector that wanted that box to be in great shape. I don't know what kind of moron just slaps stickers all over the box and mails it like that. I feel like I bought it from Gamestop or something. Then again...this is the second time I've bought it and the first time Best Buy shipped the Neo Geo box in some sort of plastic bag..again with no protection. (Returned it because of damage)

Hopefully this one works. Effing morons..

Bought one for a family member of mine as i already bought mine at full price back on release. anyone else get theirs shipped in a crappy plastic white bag with absolutly no protection on the inside? o_O.

Who's the dumbass that packaged this thing for shipment???. some of the packaging is crushed to hell! :hot::bomb:. i'm absolutly amazed the packagers at the Best Buy warehouse thought this was a great idea and that nothing bad would actually happen to it during transit.

It's probrably pointless to :argue: with these guys but i'm gonna :twoguns: them an e-mail anyway.

These guys man... :lol:

[quote name='OldSchoolGaming4Life']Bought one for a family member of mine as i already bought mine at full price back on release. anyone else get theirs shipped in a crappy plastic white bag with absolutly no protection on the inside? o_O.

Who's the dumbass that packaged this thing for shipment???. some of the packaging is crushed to hell! :hot::bomb:. i'm absolutly amazed the packagers at the Best Buy warehouse thought this was a great idea and that nothing bad would actually happen to it during transit.

It's probrably pointless to :argue: with these guys but i'm gonna :twoguns: them an e-mail anyway.

These guys man... :lol:[/QUOTE]

Let me know how it goes. I got mine the same way.

[quote name='OldSchoolGaming4Life']Bought one for a family member of mine as i already bought mine at full price back on release. anyone else get theirs shipped in a crappy plastic white bag with absolutly no protection on the inside? o_O.

These guys man... :lol:[/QUOTE]

I got one from BB shipped the same way, in a big white plastic bag with no protection whatsoever, and the box was dinged up. Returned it to the store for a refund, and that was last year! They had a lot of returns for that crapping shipping, you'd think they would have learned.

My system from Wal Mart was perfect though, shipped in a box and all.

[quote name='icewolf74']I am still sore that I was denied a 99 dollar PM after purchasing my Neo Geo Gold X for 130 dollars a week ago (see page 3 or 4 of this thread) just because it was out of stock on their own companies website and how rude the CS representative was despite me trying to be polite with her; so as far as I am concerned Best Buy is on my shit list for stores to not shop at anymore. They will sit up there with Gamestop who's been there for quite some time. I don't plan on renewing my @Gamer membership and I will let my silver membership run out. I will miss the RZ certificates though, but I guess it will just require me to wait for sales on games at Target or Amazon instead.[/QUOTE]

As someone who's worked in Customer Service for MANY years. Call corporate. Make sure you have the details, such as the name of the rep, the time you called, and explain your situation throughly.

Trust me. You'll get your refund if you present yourself as a customer who's feel cheated both by rude customer service and by lack of attention.

-Joe

[GIVEAWAY] Receive Borderlands 2, Halo 4, and a 1-month xbox live membership just for 'liking' a photo on facebook!

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342268

[quote name='Green Card200']Let me know how it goes. I got mine the same way.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='chimpmeister']I got one from BB shipped the same way, in a big white plastic bag with no protection whatsoever, and the box was dinged up. Returned it to the store for a refund, and that was last year! They had a lot of returns for that crapping shipping, you'd think they would have learned.

My system from Wal Mart was perfect though, shipped in a box and all.[/QUOTE]

:shame: on you Best Buy. i'm still :lol: that they actually did this. good to know i'm alone on this though! haha. still waiting for a response. so :booty:.

Annnnnd as expected...doesn't work. Maybe someone who owns one can help me out.. I've read the instructions.. I turned the handheld and docking station both off and plugged them in. I then turned on the docking station power to charge the handheld and an orange light on the handheld came on, I assume this means it's charging like every other handheld, but after 4 hours...I turn the dock off, unplug the handheld and turn it on..but nothing happens. I then turn if off and hook it back into the dock and turn the dock on, but now both the orange and a blue light come on and the screen shows some battery image with a charging animation. 30 mins later I tried it again and the handheld doesn't turn on. Wtf am I doing wrong?

They threw a few labels on mine and shipped it. I can't even say that I'm not opening it because the damn thing is already open. Best Buy is going to have it tomorrow:

BJKcHeYCUAAkCk1.jpg:large

[quote name='gldoorii']Annnnnd as expected...doesn't work. Maybe someone who owns one can help me out.. I've read the instructions.. I turned the handheld and docking station both off and plugged them in. I then turned on the docking station power to charge the handheld and an orange light on the handheld came on, I assume this means it's charging like every other handheld, but after 4 hours...I turn the dock off, unplug the handheld and turn it on..but nothing happens. I then turn if off and hook it back into the dock and turn the dock on, but now both the orange and a blue light come on and the screen shows some battery image with a charging animation. 30 mins later I tried it again and the handheld doesn't turn on. Wtf am I doing wrong?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it wasn't connected right the first 4 hours you charged it. Both the blue and red light were on when I charged it, when charging was complete the red light went out and it was just the blue light. The second time you plugged it in sounded right but just didn't leave it on long enough.

I would try to get both lights on and charge until the red goes out if that doesn't work it might be broken.

Yea I left it charging overnight with both lights on and this morning it the lights were still on and the handheld does not turn on. Another return to best buy for me.

[quote name='Green Card200']Let me know how it goes. I got mine the same way.[/QUOTE]
I hate Best Buy, to the extent that I haven't had the bad experiences some of you have had. I only venture there on Black Friday really, and then only after the store has opened, I'm not waiting in their line either.

Anyway, last experience I had was a couple of Black Friday's ago. They had a good deal on a Wii and I ordered it.

I think they bothered to put it in a bag, because as we all know an un-padded plastic bag provides protection. I don't understand their rational. Look, I might have gotten a good deal, sure... but I still paid $100 and I'd expect a minimum of customer service. But, it's Best Buy...

[quote name='soonersfan60']The unfavorable reviews, though, are mostly from people doing a side-by-side comparison with native hardware. I don't think that's a fair comparison given the cost of the item... good info to know, but not a reason to avoid it, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, it's still not for me, but to compare it to native hardware that would probably cost a few thousand today is rather funny. The first youtube video was maybe one of the worst I've ever scene of that kind. Too light, buttons are mass produced, shaky cam screen directly into the light. Guy seemed like he had a lot of cool stuff in that mess of his, also so that was odd.

Received mine yesterday packed in a box with air bags all around it. Box in perfect condition.

System works as expected. For $99, a great addition to my game system collection dating back to the 2600.

[quote name='OldSchoolGaming4Life']@ atx 6speed

And i thought mine was bad. please tell me you're joking...[/QUOTE]

Nope, no joke:

943665_10103081303889180_276227465_n.jpg

[quote name='p0rn0saur']Exactly, it's still not for me, but to compare it to native hardware that would probably cost a few thousand today is rather funny. The first youtube video was maybe one of the worst I've ever scene of that kind. Too light, buttons are mass produced, shaky cam screen directly into the light. Guy seemed like he had a lot of cool stuff in that mess of his, also so that was odd.[/QUOTE]

This is 100% wrong. The Neo Geo is 23 years old and consists of a Motorola 68K, a Z80 co processor, a Yamaha sound chip and some memory. The raw components in today's market to build a fully functioning Neo Geo would run under $50. They chose to go the emulator route and all they really had to do was to deliver something equivalent to the emulator SNK used for their games on PSN. They totally failed at that and delivered something that has poor video output, lag, screen tearing, a lack of save capability and censorship.

Best Buy shipping is generally garbage. Every single DVD/Blu/Game I ever received has come in a plastic mailer for the past 6 months. Totally not surprised they would ship a product like that. Now to see if somebody actually gets a laptop shipped that way. :D

WOW...is all I can say to some of you who got your console shipped to you in nothing but the Neo Geo box itself. At least mine came to me in a nice sturdy box with bubble mailer pack ins surrounding my Neo-Geo console. What you guys got is absolutely inexcusable for Best Buy to do that. I would return the console just on that merit alone, even if everything is fine on the inside of the box; especially since I keep my console boxes. Best Buy should be ashamed of themselves. :(

On the phone with them now. They are completely out of stock and can't ship another and are offering a $20 giftcard. Who would have thought getting one of these things would be a pain?

That's how they shipped my Playstation 3D Display. Just slapped a sticker on the box and let the UPS guy leave it at the door.

bread's done
Back