New Disney Releases

soccerstud652

CAGiversary!
Feedback
74 (100%)
Amazon has pre-orders up for (w/ a tentative release date of June 11, 2013):

Lilo & Stitch / Lilo & Stitch: Stitch Has A Glitch Two-Movie Collection (Three Disc Blu-ray / DVD Combo)

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Lilo-Stitch-T...id=1364254426&sr=1-1&keywords=lilo+and+stitch

Atlantis: The Lost Empire / Atlantis: Milo's Return: Two-Movie Collection (Three Disc Blu-ray / DVD Combo)

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Atlantis-Empi...Blu-ray/dp/B00BWRKVTU/ref=zg_bs_2958935011_41

The Emperor's New Groove / Kronk's New Groove: Two-Movie Collection (Three Disc Blu-ray / DVD Combo)

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Emperors-New-...364254471&sr=1-1&keywords=emperors+new+groove

I don't see any of the usual Amazon discount coupons - anyone have info on the coupons?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vegan']It's Disney, their dubs are the best of the best (although some purists will say that ANY dubbing is a crime).[/QUOTE]

Also people complain about Disney using stars like Christian Bale, Dakota Fanning, and the youngest Cyrus and Jonas siblings in their casts.

[quote name='bronsonbeliever']Anyone find anything good for the Miyazaki stuff hitting next week (Totoro, Howl)? The last round of Ghibli had a discount if you bought them together on Amazon, but no such luck this time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I remember last batch had a "buy two for $40" deal with Best Buy. They almost never go on sale, so I've been looking around and so far haven't seen any sales or coupons for these... Disappointing.

The Arriety dub was a problem because they got a bunch of disney people for name recognition instead of people who could actually voice act. For reference, I liked all of the other dubs from disney (and didn't really mind arriety either, because it was good otherwise), and I liked Ponyo, I only disliked the use of the Jonas, and Cyrus kids until I found out they were actually halfway decent VAs. The song at the end of Ponyo and Arriety were obnoxious, though.

[quote name='Gden']The Arriety dub was a problem because they got a bunch of disney people for name recognition instead of people who could actually voice act.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I originally saw the UK dub and it was much better than the Disney dub, I was hoping for the Disney release to have both, but of course it only had the one featuring the Disney Channel stars

[quote name='DNukem170']Also people complain about Disney using stars like Christian Bale, Dakota Fanning, and the youngest Cyrus and Jonas siblings in their casts.[/QUOTE]

Big deal, Japan uses stars for voice acting, too. Funny how I never hear complaints about that.

[quote name='Vegan']Big deal, Japan uses stars for voice acting, too. Funny how I never hear complaints about that.[/QUOTE]

But that's Japan and Japan never has bad voice acting.

[quote name='DNukem170']But that's Japan and Japan never has bad voice acting.[/QUOTE]
Hehe, would we be able to tell the difference? Their voice actors are worshiped the way movie stars are here in the states, so there's more pressure to give great performances too.

[quote name='Jodou']Hehe, would we be able to tell the difference? Their voice actors are worshiped the way movie stars are here in the states, so there's more pressure to give great performances too.[/QUOTE]

Depends on the series. For a while there many harem anime had bored or generic dubs because Japanese VAs rarely are cast out of their type zone, but since a lot of recent ones either do something different or have an actual plot, there are some better acting.

[quote name='DNukem170']But that's Japan and Japan never has bad voice acting.[/QUOTE]

Oh god, so not true!

[quote name='Jodou']Hehe, would we be able to tell the difference? Their voice actors are worshiped the way movie stars are here in the states, so there's more pressure to give great performances too.[/QUOTE]

Also not true!

[quote name='FadeToDark']They just announced Robin Hood for release on Blu-ray August 6th.[/QUOTE]

The original Winnie the Pooh, too.

[quote name='thelonepig']The original Winnie the Pooh, too.[/QUOTE]

Yesterday they announced:

Robin Hood: 40th Anniversary Edition - August 6
Oliver and Company: 25th Anniversary Edition - August 6
Sword and the Stone: 50th Anniversary Edition - August 6
Peter Pan: Return to Neverland - August 20

I thought Christian Bale did a good job as Howl, it's not like Howl was SUPPOSED to show that much emotion.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Also not true![/QUOTE]
I call bullshit. I've seen press events where voice actors are interviewed and signing autographs, or even crying from meeting their personal heroes in the business. Here in the states, VAs aren't even on a first name basis unless it's someone in movies, like Patrick Stewart. In fact I bet 90% of people in here wouldn't even know who Jim Cummings is even though they've heard his voice at least once before from the hundreds of shows he's done.

[quote name='Jodou']I call bullshit. I've seen press events where voice actors are interviewed and signing autographs, or even crying from meeting their personal heroes in the business. Here in the states, VAs aren't even on a first name basis unless it's someone in movies, like Patrick Stewart. In fact I bet 90% of people in here wouldn't even know who Jim Cummings is even though they've heard his voice at least once before from the hundreds of shows he's done.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but those are hardcore *nerds* getting the autographs and crying. Your average Japanese person wouldn't know who the fuck the voice actor was.

Considering a lot of VAs do both singing and radio shows, not to mention live-action and theater/musicals, it is a little harder. Granted, most aren't to the level of Megumi Hayashibara, but it is still easier to get noticed on the streets. It also helps that the VAs almost always do some random special or interview for the DVD release.

It also helps that once you are typecast into a role, that is who you play the rest of your career. The VA for Yamada in B Gata H Kei was typecast in a lot of moe and young girl roles and her fanbase went absolutely apeshit over the studio casting her in a sex comedy like that.

Howl's Moving Castle and Totoro are $23.99 at Barnes and Noble, in-store only. The other Ghibli titles are also that price. It's part of their 40% off sale. It stacks with coupons if you're a member

I went ahead and dropped the full $30 each on Howls Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro. It irked me slightly, but I have the disposable income right now, and these are Studio Ghibli films.

Now I just hope they pick up Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and The Castle of Cagliostro.

[quote name='Willy6500']I just want Robin Hood to come out, that's exciting. I'm such a kid, lol.[/QUOTE]
HISS! Quit HISSING in my ear! :lol:

I have some questions about the Disney Movie Club that I thought maybe you guys could answer.

I ordered the five mandatory movies plus the two optional movies during the sign up. The sixth movie is supposed to count towards the three movie purchase requirement, but my commitment page still shows that I have to purchase all three. I haven't received any of the movies yet; the entire process is really slow, so is it normal for this page to take a while to change?

Also, I was hoping to pre-order The Little Mermaid for $29.95 to get Totoro and Howl's for 40% off. Will the purchase of The Little Mermaid count towards my commitment, or do only the featured titles they email count? It doesn't make that clear.

It has to be at full price to count. Little Mermaid would count, but Totoro and Howl would not count unless you remove the 40% off offer.

[quote name='Willy6500']I just want Robin Hood to come out, that's exciting. I'm such a kid, lol.[/QUOTE]

Agreed x10000

[quote name='Gden']I think Disney is trying their best to ignore Princess Mononoke ever existed.[/QUOTE]

It hasn't been released in Blu-ray in Japan, so it hasn't been released on Blu-ray here. There's nothing to ignore.

I picked up Totoro at Costco today for 24.99. I usually hate paying full price, but that was less that even Amazon is selling it for, so I figure it won't get any cheaper.

[quote name='sayu']I have some questions about the Disney Movie Club that I thought maybe you guys could answer.

I ordered the five mandatory movies plus the two optional movies during the sign up. The sixth movie is supposed to count towards the three movie purchase requirement, but my commitment page still shows that I have to purchase all three. I haven't received any of the movies yet; the entire process is really slow, so is it normal for this page to take a while to change?

Also, I was hoping to pre-order The Little Mermaid for $29.95 to get Totoro and Howl's for 40% off. Will the purchase of The Little Mermaid count towards my commitment, or do only the featured titles they email count? It doesn't make that clear.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I just joined myself a bit ago. Joined Friday pm, ordered 7 movies. Got online access Monday. Ordered 3 more movies (1 full price, 2 40% off). Got all the Ghibli movies for under 90 bucks, plus a few extras. My movies just shipped today, but my commitment status hasn't updated yet. A bit of googling says they typically take a bit to update. But I should still have 1 full price movie in order to fulfill my commitment as far as I can tell. But as another poster mentioned, you can order Mermaid, Totoro, and Howl. It will probably cost about 70 bucks shipped, and 1 movie towards your commitment, leaving you with 1 to go in the next two years.

Got My Neighbor Totoro and Howl's Moving Castle the other day. Am I the only one slightly annoyed that they put art on the DVD disk but not on the BR disk?

[quote name='ArthurDayne']Hi, I just joined myself a bit ago. Joined Friday pm, ordered 7 movies. Got online access Monday. Ordered 3 more movies (1 full price, 2 40% off). Got all the Ghibli movies for under 90 bucks, plus a few extras. My movies just shipped today, but my commitment status hasn't updated yet. A bit of googling says they typically take a bit to update. But I should still have 1 full price movie in order to fulfill my commitment as far as I can tell. But as another poster mentioned, you can order Mermaid, Totoro, and Howl. It will probably cost about 70 bucks shipped, and 1 movie towards your commitment, leaving you with 1 to go in the next two years.[/QUOTE]
Okay, glad it's not just a mess up on my part. Yeah, I can't pass up Totoro and Howl for a little over $21 a piece. Thanks!

So, no good deal for Totoro and Howl's huh?

Disney sent me an email for $3 off printed coupon for ANY release. I also got a $5 RZ cert for BestBuy. I guess going to BestBuy, PM Amazon, using $5 RZ cert and two $3 coupon (I'm sure I can print two) is a good deal?

[quote name='airblade']Can you price match?[/QUOTE]
Its online only so I doubt it but go ahead and try I guess. I've never pricematched on best buy's website before but I know the option is available. Where would you pricematch it with? Amazon?

I purchased Howl's and Totoro at Best Buy yesterday and was trying to get the save $6 deal by showing them the web offer on my phone. When the cashier hit total it came up that I had a $10 Best Buy gift certificate for purchasing the two blu-rays. Don't know if it was supposed to, but I can't complain on getting a free $10 GC.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Howl's Moving Castle and Totoro are $23.99 at Barnes and Noble, in-store only. The other Ghibli titles are also that price. It's part of their 40% off sale. It stacks with coupons if you're a member[/QUOTE]Let's hope that's still the case today, as I did an in-store reserve of both movies and they came up as $39.99 from the in-store reserve confirmation emails.

$21.60 each ($24 - 10% B&N Member discount) sounds like a good thing to me.

[quote name='shrike4242']Let's hope that's still the case today, as I did an in-store reserve of both movies and they came up as $39.99 from the in-store reserve confirmation emails.

$21.60 each ($24 - 10% B&N Member discount) sounds like a good thing to me.[/QUOTE]

Post if it's still ongoing? I can easily run to a local B&N if it's still ongoing. Otherwise I'm just going to pick them up from Amazon tomorrow.

[quote name='shrike4242']Let's hope that's still the case today, as I did an in-store reserve of both movies and they came up as $39.99 from the in-store reserve confirmation emails.

$21.60 each ($24 - 10% B&N Member discount) sounds like a good thing to me.[/QUOTE]
Let me know what the price is in store. I was going to head over and do the same thing, but now am worried once I saw the online reservation price.

Looks like you should be able to get them for $24 each at BN. However, I tried 2 different stores, and neither had them with slip cases, so I just ordered them from amazon. Hopefully it's not too late to get them with slip cases from amazon as well, the rest of my Disney & Ghibli films have them.

bread's done
Back