New Gamestop trade promo: 50% extra credit for ALL games. Starts 2/22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rei no Otaku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I didn't see this posted here.

I work at GS and we just got the info on this in today's store informer. Basically 50% trade in credit on ALL games. Yes, every game and no minimum value. As usual it stacks with Edge card.

I know I have some crap to unload come Monday!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Regian']So, let's say the majority of my trade pile is new. Am I probably better off doing the current tiered trade gimmick?[/QUOTE]
I can't give you a 100% correct answer on that. Sorry... I'd wait myself.

[quote name='ddbrd`']What's the TIV for MW2? I can't find a recent number.[/QUOTE]

I belive it's 23.50 on the sign above the register. Not 100% sure though

Hope this is true. I really, really need to buy Heavy Rain and getting rid of some of my oldies would help quite a bit. Thanks for the insider info, OP.

[quote name='pureheat101']Huh there's a CAG worker at the Cranston Gamestop? I go there all the time... strange... and also a fan of SNSD? Double dose of strangeness

And I'd love to vouch for this deal being right but... I don't think I'll be driving down to Cranston anytime soon, sounds great if it is though.[/QUOTE]
Then you've probably seen me lol. I've been there the longest out of all the employees and I'm working all the time.

[quote name='kaydigi']They still accept GBA games?[/QUOTE]
Yes, but unless it's Pokemon they're not worth anything substantial.

damn i just traded a few of my ds games to amazon and gazelle, if this turns out to be true i could have gotten an extra few bucks out of them.

[quote name='j_mccarty5']thanks, I wasn't sure about the preorder thing. I saw your post after I finished mine. For anyone not sure if it's real. I can concur that it's real. (even if I don't have the complete details : )

I'm guessing some TIVs may "fluctuate", but it's still a pretty good deal, especially since the current deal doesn't work on games under $5.[/QUOTE]
Second source for you guys.

[quote name='GUNNM']instead of getting 5$ for AC2, I can get 10$![/QUOTE]
lol,50% of $5 is not $10.You would get 7.25 Is AC2 really trading in for $5?

Yeah my boss just told me about this today.....and to be prepared for crazy amounts of trades come Monday. What Im worried is that a ton of stuff will probably have drastic value drops come Monday as well.

[quote name='Oswald9599']Yeah my boss just told me about this today.....and to be prepared for crazy amounts of trades come Monday. What Im worried is that a ton of stuff will probably have drastic value drops come Monday as well.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'm glad I work in a "store of the future" now. Where we have a counter in the back just for taking in trades. I'd probably kill myself if I had to deal with all that with one counter for everything like most stores have...

SHIT!!! I just traded in 6 games this week, and got 170 something. Atleast i got a ds lite and few games. :(

Is the deal only for ps3/360/wii games.

[quote name='chrollo']SHIT!!! I just traded in 6 games this week, and got 170 something. Atleast i got a ds lite and few games. :(

Is the deal only for ps3/360/wii games.[/QUOTE]
All games. If GS takes it in trade, then it counts.

Does anyone know Gamestop's policy on accepting Asian PS3 games? I recently bought a PS3 from Hong Kong from a friend (it was her old live-in boyfriends, but he hadn't picked it up after 3 years, so she ditched it). She gave me 5 games with it. It's mostly old launch titles like Ridge Racer 7 and stuff like that, and all but one of them are 100% in English with the exception of a character or two on the cover. Since PS3 games aren't region-coded, and the games are actually in English, do you think they'll accept them? I know they probably won't take the entirely-Japanese version of Sonic the Hedgehog (don't ask me why someone from Hong Kong has a Japanese copy of Sonic), but what about the others?

[quote name='danblanchard']Does anyone know Gamestop's policy on accepting Asian PS3 games? I recently bought a PS3 from Hong Kong from a friend (it was her old live-in boyfriends, but he hadn't picked it up after 3 years, so she ditched it). She gave me 5 games with it. It's mostly old launch titles like Ridge Racer 7 and stuff like that, and all but one of them are 100% in English with the exception of a character or two on the cover. Since PS3 games aren't region-coded, and the games are actually in English, do you think they'll accept them? I know they probably won't take the entirely-Japanese version of Sonic the Hedgehog (don't ask me why someone from Hong Kong has a Japanese copy of Sonic), but what about the others?[/QUOTE]
We can't take games from other regions even if they're playable in American consoles and in English.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']We can't take games from other regions even if they're playable in American consoles and in English.[/QUOTE]
That sucks I remember being able to buy the pal region version of shenmue 2 for dreamcast at gamestop. :/ Good times.

[quote name='danblanchard']Does anyone know Gamestop's policy on accepting Asian PS3 games? I recently bought a PS3 from Hong Kong from a friend (it was her old live-in boyfriends, but he hadn't picked it up after 3 years, so she ditched it). She gave me 5 games with it. It's mostly old launch titles like Ridge Racer 7 and stuff like that, and all but one of them are 100% in English with the exception of a character or two on the cover. Since PS3 games aren't region-coded, and the games are actually in English, do you think they'll accept them? I know they probably won't take the entirely-Japanese version of Sonic the Hedgehog (don't ask me why someone from Hong Kong has a Japanese copy of Sonic), but what about the others?[/QUOTE]

Usually if you trade it without the case, they could care less. I have done that with PAL version of Killzone 2, JP versions of Crisis Core and Demon Souls

hmm...if i did my math correctly i think the trade 7 get an extra $50 works out better in my case. The 7 games i'm going to trade in have an average value of $6.75 each, so plus the %60 extra trade in on each one would add up to ~$76. I did the calculations of the tiered trade in offer last night and it came up to ~$100. So I'm better of with the current trade in promo right? If my math serves me right.

edit: I did the calculations with the extra 60% TIV and I got $81.1 and with the tiered trade in value for the 7/50 I got $101.7.

So yeah I'm gonna go trade in all these games i got from goozex :)

[quote name='Rei no Otaku'] The company is doing a lot of this because of the shitty holiday season we had. Our DM reamed out every SM this year, and they're being assholes about our numbers.[/QUOTE]

They shouldn't be blaming you guys. Management should realize that Amazon, Walmart and their competitors had much better deals on NEW when compared to Gamestop's USED games prices. A lot of children who they use to screw in the past finally learned how to use a computer and sell their games online for much more. My local Gamestops hardly have any inventory of used games, their money maker. I was told that not many people are trading in their games anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't trade into Gamestop anymore not worth it. I used to trade-in all the time but now that I have a job I just don't need to anymore.

[quote name='GogetaSS4']I don't trade into Gamestop anymore not worth it. I used to trade-in all the time but now that I have a job I just don't need to anymore.[/QUOTE]
I'd rather give away my old games than trade them into Gamestop.

I laughed at the cashier last time, when he offered me $1 for a game I could've sold on Amazon for at least $25. Needless to say I didn't finish that transaction.

[quote name='Vinny']If true than holy crap. I can use it pay towards Yakuza 3.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, for us, Japan is getting Yakuza 4 already?! :(

Damn some actual Rhode Islanders? I live within 5 minutes of the one @ centre of new england, the cinema in EG, and the one on cowesette ave.

BTW, the one at cranston parkade looks amazing...I remember what it looked like before all the renovations.

[quote name='Armads']BTW, the one at cranston parkade looks amazing...I remember what it looked like before all the renovations.[/QUOTE]
That's the one I work at.

[quote name='unknownthreat']Hey op, is the tiv for bioshock 2 still $25? Do you think it's going to go down on the 22nd?[/QUOTE]
No idea. We've only had one copy traded in, and I wasn't there when it was. Also the TIV could drop, I don't know. Sorry.

I'd like to clarify briefly: DO plan on trade value drops before the deal. Traditionally, that's SoP- like a price spike before B2G1. It is for SOFTWARE ONLY- no hardware/systems, or accessories.

Beyond that, no catch. Really.

Hm, I just wish I had stuff to trade in...I can do maybe 1 or two titles max. :p

So it's just games and not hardware right?

to save you guys some time, if your trading in a large number of games. If the average TiV is over 14.25ish then this deal is better than the 7 for $50. but if its not then the +50 is more. I'm assuming alot will have price drops, so if your dropping off a load of games might want to do it for the 7 deal.

Nice OP (hope they renovate gamestops by me all of them are lame 15x40 and counters are in middle so crowding is horrible...)

Rei - you're awesome for keeping up with the thead. Here's a question(s) that I'm sure many of us will want to know.... (yes this thread turned into ask a GS employee day)

First off, don't say what store you work in. If anyone monitors these threads you could get fired for giving out company info. I've seen it happen over a youtube video.

How does GS handle their refurbs? I see it all the time and in some cases where I'd expect it (slightly cracked or heavily scratched) they don't charge. I've traded in disc only, no manual, generic case, complete, etc.... To you, what does "Refurb" mean? I've gotten things like "we gotta send this into corporate to get cleaned" to the "no artwork so I'm charging you." Obviously if I'm charged, I take it elsewhere but I'd like to get your input. Should refurb only mean when a game is sent off to get cleaned? Games aren't sold to me cheaper for getting no manual or artwork so why should I get charged a fee for not having those things?

EDIT:
An Joe - I'd like to point out that many games that are worth under $5 are good for this trade because the last tiered trade (7/$50) required $5.01 or more, making the $5 useless until this sale. If you hold onto a game that's $10 now to trade in for the +$5 bonus, the TIV could go down by that point. Trade now or eBay.

[quote name='sadunk']Rei - you're awesome for keeping up with the thead. Here's a question(s) that I'm sure many of us will want to know.... (yes this thread turned into ask a GS employee day)

First off, don't say what store you work in. If anyone monitors these threads you could get fired for giving out company info. I've seen it happen over a youtube video.

How does GS handle their refurbs? I see it all the time and in some cases where I'd expect it (slightly cracked or heavily scratched) they don't charge. I've traded in disc only, no manual, generic case, complete, etc.... To you, what does "Refurb" mean? I've gotten things like "we gotta send this into corporate to get cleaned" to the "no artwork so I'm charging you." Obviously if I'm charged, I take it elsewhere but I'd like to get your input. Should refurb only mean when a game is sent off to get cleaned? Games aren't sold to me cheaper for getting no manual or artwork so why should I get charged a fee for not having those things?

EDIT:
An Joe - I'd like to point out that many games that are worth under $5 are good for this trade because the last tiered trade (7/$50) required $5.01 or more, making the $5 useless until this sale. If you hold onto a game that's $10 now to trade in for the +$5 bonus, the TIV could go down by that point. Trade now or eBay.[/QUOTE]
Refurbs depend on the employee. The official Gamestop rule is if there's a scratch deep enough to catch your nail in or if there's scratches on the label side don't take it. Thing is some people are more strict, and some just don't care. For example, I'm pretty picky about game quality when I do trades.

[quote name='GogetaSS4']I laughed at the cashier last time, when he offered me $1 for a game I could've sold on Amazon for at least $25. Needless to say I didn't finish that transaction.[/QUOTE]

What game was it?

I might get rid of Bioshock 2 and Bayonetta

i may just sell them on ebay though because there's nothing out that i want or anything coming out soon that i want.. other than heavy rain, but that's taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back