New Gamestop trade promo: 50% extra credit for ALL games. Starts 2/22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rei no Otaku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I didn't see this posted here.

I work at GS and we just got the info on this in today's store informer. Basically 50% trade in credit on ALL games. Yes, every game and no minimum value. As usual it stacks with Edge card.

I know I have some crap to unload come Monday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad that Gamestop is terrible with trade-ins. They rarely ever come close to matching the trade in value you can get at amazon or toys r us.

The only deals that are normally worth it are the trade in new games and get 20 dollars extra credit.

Don't hold your breath on a B2G1. I've gotten a feel for those- as they have made the timing random, even to those at the field level. They'll run a good trade promo, level inventories, then do a big shabang. With FFXIII, they might have a good promo attached to that, but I would personally project the spring holidays as a better timeframe. Besides, think of all the people that will now find it easier to give up video games during lent, only to have their god hate them as they come crawling back for a B2G1 before Easter. More than likely, the weekend of or after [Easter] would be perfect: so many giftcards, so little time.

[quote name='earvcunanan']Mass Effect 2 currently has a TiV of $35... I wonder if that will hold up until Monday. $57 TiV O_O[/QUOTE]

Nice. I'd be tempted on that one myself. I better finish my Insanity run before then ;).

Otherwise I just have a handful of games that are mid-valued and would have been better under the current bonus promo - only problem being I don't have enough for the 7/$50 deal. Still, 4/$25 might be better than 50% - I'll have to check it out the next few days.

This is great

Will gamestop take a bundle (not for resale) copy of MW2 for the 360? It does not have a barcode, says not for resale instead. I know they take PS3 bundle games that say not for resale, but I also know those have barcodes.

What PS3 bundle games have barcodes, all the ones I have say not for resale where the barcode is. Either, they should take it, they'll just have to manually look up the game instead of scanning it in. They even just take in disc only games too, though they might charge you a refub fee for that.

damn. I'm trying to get a new psp and that would have really gone a long way. Would have been doubly nice since I think a PSP drop is incoming. Gamestops website is going crazy if you do a search for PSP system and it has a weird new entry of PSP Console (3000) NEW Preorder for 149.99. Would have been perfect.

This does sound a little too good to be true. Not calling you a liar, OP. Just think there might be some sort of mistake or hidden catch there that we'll find out on that date.

My gamestop did a trade in thing like this before; however, before the sale, all the games that use to be worth 30-35$ TIV magically went to $20

[quote name='Durkan']My gamestop did a trade in thing like this before; however, before the sale, all the games that use to be worth 30-35$ TIV magically went to $20[/QUOTE]
If they do that, they'll lose whatever little credibility they have left.

dont really see why they couldnt do it ....

i mean take new ds and psp games... they cost 30... normal return vaule is 10 to 15 .. so it be 15 to 22.50 they still sell them used for 24.99 so they are still making money.... would also help them to load up on used games...

Didnt they used to do something like this years ago..

i know it was like BUY a game at 30 and they will buy it back at 20 for up to a month after it came out

[quote name='slidecage']dont really see why they couldnt do it ....

i mean take new ds and psp games... they cost 30... normal return vaule is 10 to 15 .. so it be 15 to 22.50 they still sell them used for 24.99 so they are still making money.... would also help them to load up on used games...

Didnt they used to do something like this years ago..

i know it was like BUY a game at 30 and they will buy it back at 20 for up to a month after it came out[/QUOTE]

a DS game if it had a base trade in of 15, after edge and 50% bump would 24 dollar trade in.

even if they sell it at 27.99 after edge 25.2 which would have very little profit margin. Then you need to account for not every game you trade will always be in working condition.

on many trades it becomes very borderline profitable for GS. It fine for short term, but a company can't stay profitable with profit margins that slim.

There isn't a catch. I was just sifting through the marketing for next week last night and all the signs/flyers we have to put up just say "Biggest Trade Event Ever, 50% extra trade on ALL games" There are no asterisks or fine print on the signs or flyers. Thats all they say. All gamestops are low on used stock, and they are having shitty numbers lately so they are trying to get people to come and spend money.

[quote name='Tsukento']This does sound a little too good to be true. Not calling you a liar, OP. Just think there might be some sort of mistake or hidden catch there that we'll find out on that date.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='killer9']there is always a catch its gamestop probably have to pre order sumthing[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Denbo32']a DS game if it had a base trade in of 15, after edge and 50% bump would 24 dollar trade in.

even if they sell it at 27.99 after edge 25.2 which would have very little profit margin. Then you need to account for not every game you trade will always be in working condition.

on many trades it becomes very borderline profitable for GS. It fine for short term, but a company can't stay profitable with profit margins that slim.[/QUOTE]
Please read the thread. It's been confirmed by MULTIPLE sources at this point. It's true.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Please read the thread. It's been confirmed by MULTIPLE sources at this point. It's true.[/QUOTE]

I don't doubt the truth of this, and don't think there is a catch per se. I do think though we are going to see MASSIVE tiv drops over this weekend though. I'm debating trading in my Mass Effect 2 worth $35 towards FFXIII right now while its still $35 and taking advantage of the extra 25% towards FFXIII (35% w/ edge) while its still worth $35. I know with my luck if I wait trying to be greedy till monday the tiv will probably drop like a rock to $25 or $20.

You don't need an EDGE card to trade games in right? I already have a card w/$40 credit on it, so i just want to add more onto that.

BTW, anyone got the page for the game trade-in prices?

i can confirm this deal is legit too. its in all of our marketing and as someone else posted the reason is because were low on stock. i mean seriously we have maybe, maybe 15 different used games.

[quote name='fearthecub']Anybody have a current TIV for Darksiders on 360?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I posted it in the other thread. My quote from yesterday was 12.50. The guy was shocked that it was that low when he checked it for me.

[quote name='bgame2']Yes, I posted it in the other thread. My quote from yesterday was 12.50. The guy was shocked that it was that low when he checked it for me.[/QUOTE]

The price dropped to $40 new, though. So it's in line with other $40 games.

Stinks that it dropped so quickly, definitely.

Does anyone know if this might apply to consoles? I have an sold second 360 I have been wanting to sell... It could get about $128 store credit. o.o Also, does anyone know if you can trade in a 360 without the cables?

[quote name='Be3fJerky']BTW, anyone got the page for the game trade-in prices?[/QUOTE]
Click on Retailers (top) and click on Gamestop. From there you can query what the TIV is. Wish there was a tag that noted when the price was last updated, but beggers can't be choosers.

If it follows normal trade-in promo lengths it will be 3 weeks long so it could possibly end on 3/14. Again, that is if it follows standard routines.

[quote name='SuperSonic128']Does anyone know if this might apply to consoles? I have an sold second 360 I have been wanting to sell... It could get about $128 store credit. o.o Also, does anyone know if you can trade in a 360 without the cables?[/QUOTE]
Doesn't work on systems.

I can confirm as well...I talked to a store manager and he did confirm this starting Sunday. Only games of course....

I may have to purge the collection.

Is it YMMV or not when it comes to taking games in that have been in bundles? Like any guitar hero game that you bought in a bundle, will GS still take it or not? I'm sorry if this was answered in thread, didn't read all the posts.

[quote name='MAGfuz']Is it YMMV or not when it comes to taking games in that have been in bundles? Like any guitar hero game that you bought in a bundle, will GS still take it or not? I'm sorry if this was answered in thread, didn't read all the posts.[/QUOTE]

Back in the day I was able to trade in the bundled version of GH2 for 360 while keeping the guitar. I don't know if the case was unique but the trade-in went off without any hitches.

I've tried at different places (like BBV and GCrazy) and they wouldn't so I don't know if they would. guess I could always call them up/stop in on the way home. That or ebay/CL.

Thanks for the answer though Halo05

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright. I'm at a dilemma. I was going to trade Madden 10 and Smackdown 10 which I can get $23.93 and $24.75 respectively including Edge according to the TIV thread. With the $10 promo that would make the total $58.68.

Now if I wait for this deal I'm assuming even though the TIV of the games are not in the $30-35 range they could still go down? But if the TIV doesnt go down I could get $35.90 and $37.13 respectively equaling $73.03 and that's not even including Edge. It's a bit hard to believe I could get that much for 2 game though. Any suggestions? :whistle2:#

Oh and if I wait and this deal ends up being bogus then I will have missed out on the extra$10.

[quote name='bgame2']Yes, I posted it in the other thread. My quote from yesterday was 12.50. The guy was shocked that it was that low when he checked it for me.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you use your coupon code for that free copy of Red Faction before you trade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back