New Kmart Clearance Price Drops (YMMV)

Irsaan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just got back from my first trip to Kmart since the incredibly terrible "10-50% off clearance games" ad from 2 weeks ago, and this time there were quite a few unannounced drops. What I saw was:

:ps3:
Bioshock GH $6.99 (previously $9.99)
Front Mission Evolved $9.99 (previously $19.99)
Rock Band Country Pack 2 $4.99 (previously ?)
Dragon Age II $17.99 (previously $19.99)
There were 3-4 other rock band track packs for $4.99 also (previously ?)

:360:
Bayonetta $9.99 (previously $19.99)

:ds:
Glory of Heracles $9.99 (previously $14.99)

If I go again in the next few days, I'll let everyone else know what else went down. Best of luck to everyone finding some other deals!

(PS, if I screwed this up somehow, sorry)

doesn't every store have their own clearance sells?

Well anyways the K-mart out here in L.A a few days ago i saw/got a copy of Front mission evolve and
silent hill shatter memory both for $5

Anybody notice that the clearance selection for xbox is a lot better then for the PS3? I mean I saw Assassin's Creed 2 for $14.99 for 360 and not one for PS3.

[quote name='Coltin']Picked up Muramasa for $5 and Enslaved for $3 today[/QUOTE]
Hmmm. I wonder if the PS3 version of Enslaved is $3 as well. I think I saw a copy of that at one of my local Kmarts. Then again, I could just always borrow it from my one buddy if I wanna play through it again sometime.

[quote name='superhippy1986']Anybody notice that the clearance selection for xbox is a lot better then for the PS3? I mean I saw Assassin's Creed 2 for $14.99 for 360 and not one for PS3.[/QUOTE]

Opposite here, we had mostly PS3 games and very few 360. I'll bet your K-Mart just ordered very few PS3 games.

To throw my opinion into this debate, the entire Kmart chain looks like it hasn't been updated since the 80's. They are in the same shopping centers where they've been for decades (I've been to a bunch around the country). Those locations were not the greatest looking places back then but most are completely run down shitholes with parking lots make you look over your shoulder while walking to your car with a bag. Inside the stores, they have the same dated metal racks that have been around for decades. The feel in the store is cluttered and low end. The electronics is a depressing shell of a real electronics department with no employees nearby to take your money. I went to kmart with my wife to pick up some clothes for my kids thinking we'd give that dept a chance. Big mistake. It's a complete wasteland. There was a very limited selection and most of it looked like shit but was priced higher than target, old navy, kohls, etc.

In summary, Kmart is a shothole that I only occasionally go to to buy cheap games and even then I dread it because I know it will take half an hour to find an employee then another half hour for them to "find the key". The store is garbage and I'm amazed that it's management has stayed employeed an that the business itself is still around. They might as well wind down all the kmarts and make ones in areas without sears into sears. Sears has everything Kmart has (clothes, shoes, electronics, housewares, etc) and more (tools, mattresses and beds, etc).

[quote name='Blaster man']To throw my opinion into this debate, the entire Kmart chain looks like it hasn't been updated since the 80's. They are in the same shopping centers where they've been for decades (I've been to a bunch around the country). Those locations were not the greatest looking places back then but most are completely run down shitholes with parking lots make you look over your shoulder while walking to your car with a bag. Inside the stores, they have the same dated metal racks that have been around for decades. The feel in the store is cluttered and low end. The electronics is a depressing shell of a real electronics department with no employees nearby to take your money. I went to kmart with my wife to pick up some clothes for my kids thinking we'd give that dept a chance. Big mistake. It's a complete wasteland. There was a very limited selection and most of it looked like shit but was priced higher than target, old navy, kohls, etc.

In summary, Kmart is a shothole that I only occasionally go to to buy cheap games and even then I dread it because I know it will take half an hour to find an employee then another half hour for them to "find the key". The store is garbage and I'm amazed that it's management has stayed employeed an that the business itself is still around. They might as well wind down all the kmarts and make ones in areas without sears into sears. Sears has everything Kmart has (clothes, shoes, electronics, housewares, etc) and more (tools, mattresses and beds, etc).[/QUOTE]

Its pretty much the same over here, and as you say, everything costs more, things cost as much as you would pay at a Rite-Aid or Walgrees or truckstop type store. Walmart charges like 98 cents for carmex lip balm, but Kmart charges like 1.99. If you are looking for kids clothes and they don't care about the brand just get them at Walmart because they will outgrow them anyways, you could also get them at Sears since they have the kidvantage guarantee. We have shopped for kids clothing at Sears and the prices were in line with what everyone else charges.

They also never have sale items in stock on Sunday when you go in to get them, and then they just claim the truck never came in. In reality, those sale items almost never come in, and the employees are happy to send you to Walmart down the street. If you can get a sale item, you have to fight with the cashier to give you the price that is in the ad that is right in front of you in the ad, and watch them twist the wording of the ad so they don't give you the price you are entitled to get. They act surprised when it doesn't ring up, as if it doesn't happen to every other single person in line both in front of and behind you.

I do not experience any of these problems at Walmart and Target, and I have never had a price ring up wrong at Target at least, or even Sears, with the obvious exception that prices are often lower than what is on the actual tag. Even if regular priced items cost less there, I wouldn't go there because of the horrendous service. I only pop in once a month or less to check for clearance items.

Our Kmart does have employees, but the employees are morons, pretty much worse than any other store here, and definitely worse than the almost universally hated BB and GS employees. I have actually had a very positive experience shopping at BB the last couple weeks so I will continue to shop there. I can even say that Gamestop employees are extremely friendly and helpful here if you have a question or need assistance. Its more like the Kmart employees REFUSE to honor their own store ads, and refuse to give the correct price when the consumer is right. They act as if its coming out of their pockets or something if they have to give you a 20 cent discount on a product. It doesn't help much if you have employees though, if those employees don't know anything and refuse to help the customer with store issues.

The only reason I don't want to see the chain close, is that would be jobs lost for this area, and that would be bad, since even retail jobs are extremely scarce here and any job lost here would be a bad thing because its not like there would be another store to fill the empty retail space that Kmart left.

The Sears stores here are a complete 360 of Kmart, the employees are almost always helpful and I am greeted upon entering the electronics department every time. Some have taken time when they were clearly busy with other duties to see if I needed anything. The lighting is good and the shelves are not dirty and dusty, the stores appear clean and modern. They have larger departments with more selection, and they have a huge children's clothing department with all sizes included. The women's clothing leaves something to be desired though, most of it is very ugly! That really isn't an issue though, as I have never had store related problems with them at all, and there are plenty of stores here where I can get womens clothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kmart has only ever been a clearance store for me. I usually grab clearance, whether it's clothing clearance($.50-$1 clothing at end of season) or electronics and that's about it for me.

I feel the same as iatcg.
Way back when, when i was a kid; the only department stores around here were Kmart, Ames, and Jamesway. Kmart seemed ok, but the other two were horrendous dirty disheveled places. Then Target amd Walmart came around. Ames and Jamesway folded and Kmart became the dirty unorganized place that we all know and love now. It exists as a place for me to occasionally get cheap games and that's it.

[quote name='kraftwerks']I feel the same as iatcg.
Way back when, when i was a kid; the only department stores around here were Kmart, Ames, and Jamesway. Kmart seemed ok, but the other two were horrendous dirty disheveled places. Then Target amd Walmart came around. Ames and Jamesway folded and Kmart became the dirty unorganized place that we all know and love now. It exists as a place for me to occasionally get cheap games and that's it.[/QUOTE]
Funny you mention Ames. That's where I first experienced the sting of return fraud. I tried buying a slim PS1 from their electronics section and someone had crammed one of the fat model 1 dark grey PS1's into the smaller box for the PSone.:roll:

Luckily for me I noticed the seal was broken before I got it home.:whistle2:#

So many chains, whether regional or national that have folded in just the Tri-State area. Thing is, you still see some of their stores empty and unable to be leased/rented out. Some get lucky and get converted into other stores, but many around here(NEPA) stay empty.

[quote name='Blaster man']They might as well wind down all the kmarts and make ones in areas without sears into sears. Sears has everything Kmart has (clothes, shoes, electronics, housewares, etc) and more (tools, mattresses and beds, etc).[/QUOTE]

Funny thing is, they just turned one of the Sears here into a Kmart :whistle2:k Granted, it was just as Sears Grande, but still. What might even be funnier, just five years or so prior, they switched it from a Kmart to the Sears Grande :whistle2:s

[quote name='superhippy1986']Does Best Buy have a clearance section worth my time?[/QUOTE]
That depends. Some stores will have a clearance section or endcap, while others will just mix the clearance titles in with the rest of the games. Unfortunately BB clearance is usually highly YMMV.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That depends. Some stores will have a clearance section or endcap, while others will just mix the clearance titles in with the rest of the games. Unfortunately BB clearance is usually highly YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for responding & ruining my dreams lol.. So its like the Target I visited today that had Duke Nukem Forever PS3 for $10 but the sticker said $5 Clearance all while in with the normal priced games?

[quote name='superhippy1986']Thanks for responding & ruining my dreams lol.. So its like the Target I visited today that had Duke Nukem Forever PS3 for $10 but the sticker said $5 Clearance all while in with the normal priced games?[/QUOTE]

Correct, I have yet to run into BBY clearance at my store. I just wait for the Gamer coupons, and call it a day.

[quote name='superhippy1986']Does Best Buy have a clearance section worth my time?[/QUOTE]

Around here it's about the same as Wal Mart clearance... Which is to say a mix of "sales scam" and "nonexistent".

You can check on the BB website, they have a section and you can see all the clearance items in every store before you even get there.

We had Ames here too, they were almost always overpriced, but I think their going out of business was good, however I do remember that they were selling Game Gear systems long after they became obsolete.

[quote name='SaraAB']You can check on the BB website, they have a section and you can see all the clearance items in every store before you even get there.

We had Ames here too, they were almost always overpriced, but I think their going out of business was good, however I do remember that they were selling Game Gear systems long after they became obsolete.[/QUOTE]

You pulling my leg boy?! lol Like how do I see what each store has on their site? I'm on there right now.

Step 1. Click to the BB Store Locator.
Step 2. Click on your preferred store.
Step 3. Under the BB image, you should see clearance and open box items at that store. Browse items.
Step 4. Try to forget the feeling of disappointment by the underwhelming sales by getting some ice cream from your fridge.

Thanks! I looked at some and well... Lets just say I ate that Disappointment ice cream last night before bed....

DAMN YOU BEST BUY!!!! and.... KMART!!!!

[quote name='Jacoblee23']I got Singularity (ps3) for five bux. How is this game?[/QUOTE]
It's not bad. I never quite finished it when I had it myself, but a friend of mine said that the power(s) you got later in the game made it more than just a straight up shooter.

He said that with the one power you could age items and enemies into dust within a few seconds.:)

That reminds me that the SYWR program gave me a free $5 in points, so I better go use it at a store with something halfway decent left before it expires.;)

[quote name='Jacoblee23']I got Singularity (ps3) for five bux. How is this game?[/QUOTE]

It is soooo good. Seriously. Now I'm wondering what else I missed out on because people always compared it to Bioshock and I didn't enjoy that game, but I loved this one.

The power that you get in the game that helps you age things or make them younger leads to some pretty clever puzzles and makes the game an above-average shooter. I really enjoyed the setting, which is a (even-more-than-normal) fatalistic Russia, because I'm very attracted to the idea of good things going horribly wrong.

If you don't enjoy it, you could always flip it to Best Buy for $14. But you will enjoy it because you are not a fascist.

After Alot of reading and debate whether to go in to Kmart ever again I did and for 20 bucks I scored 7 games mediocre games but something to do lol thanks OP

I missed out big. My kmart had almost every game ever made dating back to 2006 and they all got cleared out. The guy said people he knew who sell games at the flea market stormed the clearance tables :cry:

DQMJ is now $5 at my Kmart and they still have half a dozen copies left. I have a feeling it will be worth quite a bit in the future, hehehe...

I told myself before that I was done w/ the clearance for now, but I made a trip back to 2 different K-Marts (Brookhaven/Clifton Heights) to scour what was left for PS3..

-MGS4 $15 (last copy in my local store, so I figured by the time it drops again, it'll be gone)
-TC Endwar $2
-Kung Fu Rider $2
-Fifa 10 $2 (dunno why I bought this since I have '12 and World Cup SA, but wtvr... I love the Fifa games in general)
-3d Dot Game Heroes $5 (got lucky, 3 copies were freshly marked with the "new" value $15 MSRP...I found this one with the OG barcode which scanned at $5)
-Tony Hawk's Proving Ground $5
-Quake Wars $5 (meh.. haven't played it yet...PC version I heard was decent but the console reviews were crap, so we'll see)

On a sidenote, any clearance game scanning with the message "see price on shelf" should be adjusted to $1.99 by the cashier. I was going to pick up Dark Void for a buck and change at the Clifton Store since I got that msg on the scanner and the store manager tried to tell me that it was the last "marked" price which was $7.50. Told him keep it.

still found myself passing on Lair for $5..... also passed on Front Mission Evolved for $5, robot fighting games just do nothing for me I guess.

still will say, anyone who is able to grab RE5, Oblivion, or X-Men Origins: Wolverine for under $10 during this clearance is one lucky mf.

[quote name='VenomA7X']I missed out big. My kmart had almost every game ever made dating back to 2006 and they all got cleared out. The guy said people he knew who sell games at the flea market stormed the clearance tables :cry:[/QUOTE]

Forget the table! You want the rack up by the registers!:D

Found a viewtiful joe ps2 that came up 'check shelf tag'. Asked them to scan it with the telezon and the manager said they can't sell it for any price and put it behind the counter.

I saw (and passed up) Heracles for DS for $5...reviews look pretty good on Amazon. Just couldn't pull the trigger.

Should I have?

[quote name='Rig']I saw (and passed up) Heracles for DS for $5...reviews look pretty good on Amazon. Just couldn't pull the trigger.

Should I have?[/QUOTE]

I passed it up too. May go back and get it for the club Nintendo code though, haha.

am i an idiot for buying alpha protocol ($6)? i actually like obsidian and i heard they got a bad rap for this game. also got tv superstars for ps move ($4).

[quote name='PublikDefender']am i an idiot for buying alpha protocol ($6)? i actually like obsidian and i heard they got a bad rap for this game. also got tv superstars for ps move ($4).[/QUOTE]

Yes.... It isn't worth anything!!

My K-Mart had a clearance table of crappy games and it was completely picked clean this week. The regular bargain shelves had the same old games. What was surprising was how empty the glass cabinet with the new games was. I know it's not because they're a hotbed for games, bu it's like they're not even bothering to stock new games.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']My K-Mart had a clearance table of crappy games and it was completely picked clean this week. The regular bargain shelves had the same old games. What was surprising was how empty the glass cabinet with the new games was. I know it's not because they're a hotbed for games, bu it's like they're not even bothering to stock new games.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, last time I went to Kmart it was a graveyard. After KmartGamer died, they seem to have just stopped trying.

[quote name='Indiana Jones']What was surprising was how empty the glass cabinet with the new games was. I know it's not because they're a hotbed for games, bu it's like they're not even bothering to stock new games.[/QUOTE]

Was at my local Kmart Tuesday and it was the same thing, shelves were looking quite bare. They could have put every game and system into one glass case and still had room, no Vita's or Vita games. Makes me wonder if they might be getting out of video games at some of their stores or they could just be downsizing.

Checked out my store today. Had DJ Hero and a handful of other Rockband/Guitar Hero games for $5. Seems like all the 17.xx and 19.xx stuff that was ringing up under 10 earlier this month is back to those prices? Earlier this month I got a copy of Deadspace which was marked 19.99 for $5 and now it rings up at 19 again.

It almost seems like they stopped clearance at my store and put everything back to 14.99, 17.99 and 19.99

[quote name='PublikDefender']am i an idiot for buying alpha protocol ($6)? i actually like obsidian and i heard they got a bad rap for this game. also got tv superstars for ps move ($4).[/QUOTE]

Nah, Alpha Protocol is amazing. It's a bad shooter, but it has the best conversation and consequence systems out of any RPG I've played.

Edit: Play stealth with pistols and the crappy combat ends up being trivial anyway.

Yeah, most anything that was cheap a few weeks ago was actually ringing up for quite a bit more when I went in a few days ago. Most of the music titles seemed to have been actually taken out of the system, too (such as the Rock Band Metal Track Pack).

Those darn Rock Band 3 keyboard sets are still sitting pretty at $40 for some reason, though.

[quote name='Deserter Goose']Yeah, most anything that was cheap a few weeks ago was actually ringing up for quite a bit more when I went in a few days ago. Most of the music titles seemed to have been actually taken out of the system, too (such as the Rock Band Metal Track Pack).

Those darn Rock Band 3 keyboard sets are still sitting pretty at $40 for some reason, though.[/QUOTE]

I had two gift cards to use, but I'm definitely returning that keyboard bundle. If it was $20 or less, I'd keep it.

[quote name='RichterIX']Nah, Alpha Protocol is amazing. It's a bad shooter, but it has the best conversation and consequence systems out of any RPG I've played.

Edit: Play stealth with pistols and the crappy combat ends up being trivial anyway.[/QUOTE]
I agree i beat the game once,but havent got around to trying it again with different consequences.Don't want to give anything away,but that Tony Montana type character was annoyingly hard to beat for a while.

Returned that Rock Band keyboard. Couldn't justify paying $40 for it even if it was credit. I'll definitely check back in the following months to see if it drops.

I went to Kmart and found a bunch of the PSP Go official sony accessories on clearance + 50% off, so got the AC adapter, USB cable and a/v cables for $2 each. While the guy had the case open, I decided to ask for price checks on a few items:

:ps3: Dungeon Siege 3 : $9.99
:ps3: Lost Planet2 : $7.49

Not the best deals ever, but cheaper than I've seen anywhere else. The guy said that those are the regular prices in the system and that they were not on sale or clearance, but I'm sure it's still YMMV.

bread's done
Back