New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

[quote name='Ruined']You're right.

Before you had to scroll left and right, then scroll up and down to find your choice.

Now, you have to scroll up and down, then scroll left and right to find your choice.

Clearly, the difference is mind-blowing and unable to be compensated for! :([/quote]

Now that was friggin' funny.
Listen, even the blade system took some getting used to.
Now we just have to go through a bit of learning again. So what. You can always hit the xbox button if you just must use the blades.
What if we had this new system from the start, and then they changed it to blades. Now that would have REALLY sucked.
I much prefer this over the old blades. With the old blades, I was constantly getting the constant circle loading page. At least this new system is fast and fluid.

I just think people are stupid. They are complaining that they can't find stuff... well duh. It is new. You have been so adjusted in using the old interface that this is different. I am guessing most people have had at least a year with the old blade system. Give this system a year and then you won't even remember the blades. Its like any sort of interface update, people act like they are retarded and drooling. I would think we are smarter than that and can handle this. Do you really think the blades would make the jump to the NEXT Xbox system? Either you are bitching now or you will bitch later. Its not perfect, but it is better. It is rare that a company at least tries that for free.

...there's really no need to insult people who prefer the older system. It was more concise. Plain and simple. That's what some people want. No need to be negative. Not everyone has to like what you like.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I just think people are stupid. They are complaining that they can't find stuff... well duh. It is new. You have been so adjusted in using the old interface that this is different.[/quote]

This probably wasn't in response to mine specifically, but like I said in my first post, that isn't it. The blade system (and the PSP/PS3 XMB) is intuitive and really has no learning curve at all if you're familiar with computers or electronics. There's an obvious section you go to for whatever.

Do you really think the blades would make the jump to the NEXT Xbox system? Either you are bitching now or you will bitch later. Its not perfect, but it is better. It is rare that a company at least tries that for free.

I really think it's worse. And no, I figured they'd probably change it again, but I'd expect it to be better than this. I mean I've owned almost every console out there, and this is the worst menu system I can recall-ever.

TurboDuo, Sega CD, Saturn, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360 (original), Gamecube, Playstation Portable....all of them IMO have much more straight forward menu systems IMO. None of those took me ANY time to adjust to-this is the very first console interface I've not just instantly understood. To me that means I'm not buying these "it's so much easier for newbies!" arguments.

Any word on what the 5 avatar iterms are/were with the JPN exclusive theme?

/edit: - x + s

Last edited by a moderator:
All I have to say is this. Party Chat = the best thing ever to hit xbox.

Now I can completely ignore every douche bag in every game and still talk to ALL of my friends. It sucked when you could only talk to one at a time.

[quote name='Soodmeg']All I have to say is this. Party Chat = the best thing ever to hit xbox.

Now I can completely ignore every douche bag in every game and still talk to ALL of my friends. It sucked when you could only talk to one at a time.[/quote]

agreed... although sometimes I wish I could talk smack.

[quote name='Kevlar281']Any word on what the 5 avatar iterms are/were with the JPN excluxive theme?[/quote]

Theres no 5 avatar items, Kotaku probably got something lost in translation.

[quote name='newantt']Theres no 5 avatar items, Kotaku probably got something lost in translation.[/quote]
Haha, seriously? I wonder how many people had to find that out the hard way...

Has anybody else noticed their console taking a bit longer to shutdown?

When I hold the guide button and choose turn off Console, the screen goes black, but my 360 continues to stay on for 10 seconds or so. During that time, it flashes only the power button (like it does when you are downloading something with the power off).

It shuts off as it normally does...it's just taking a bit longer. Not really worried about it, but I am curious if anybody else noticed it.

I'll try to pay attention to that. I wonder if it's doing disk cleanup or something now like the PS3 seems to?

[quote name='Rig']Has anybody else noticed their console taking a bit longer to shutdown?

When I hold the guide button and choose turn off Console, the screen goes black, but my 360 continues to stay on for 10 seconds or so. During that time, it flashes only the power button (like it does when you are downloading something with the power off).

It shuts off as it normally does...it's just taking a bit longer. Not really worried about it, but I am curious if anybody else noticed it.[/quote]

not too sure, mine powers down instantly... only time the fan stays on is if i have my charge & play cord plugged in

Does installing a game to you Hard drive actually make it faster? If so, I'm surprised someone hasn't created a new discussion on it or add it in the first post of games that run better.

[quote name='Antic']Does installing a game to you Hard drive actually make it faster? If so, I'm surprised someone hasn't created a new discussion on it or add it in the first post of games that run better.[/quote]

I guess you can say its already a given, majority of games do run much faster ie: Lost Odyssey, The Orange Box improved drastically, other games such as Gears of War 2, Burnout Paradise you'll see little improvements mainly cause the game is optimized well. Games that gets worse w/ installation is Halo 3 because of their cache to HD optimization that is still there even when its installed to the HD causing it to cache twice which = longer load time.

I already replied w/ some sites showing a chart of games improved and I guess a lot of people already know and theres those who dont care so its not that big to having another thread just for it. I guess it would help if the first page did have more info on this so I dont have to keep replying to it lol.

Heres the links again if you want more info:
http://www.bingegamer.net/2008/so-ho...install-chart/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341808

[quote name='Rig']Has anybody else noticed their console taking a bit longer to shutdown?

It shuts off as it normally does...it's just taking a bit longer. Not really worried about it, but I am curious if anybody else noticed it.[/QUOTE]

I have noticed this happen as well.

It depends if you enable "Let downloads finish in the background."

I enabled it and noticed a ten-second delay after shutting down my 360. I really do need to disable that setting again.

Hmmm I may disable it to see if it does it then too.... If not I just gotta remember to turn on the setting if I need to download and turn it off.

[quote name='Soodmeg']All I have to say is this. Party Chat = the best thing ever to hit xbox.

Now I can completely ignore every douche bag in every game and still talk to ALL of my friends. It sucked when you could only talk to one at a time.[/QUOTE]
It's nice. Except that now everyone in gears of war 2 is able to use the camera system when they die and tell their buddies where everyone is.

It's starting to get really annoying. It's almost impossible to sneak up on someone because everyone has eyes in the back of their heads now.

It shuts off as it normally does...it's just taking a bit longer. Not really worried about it, but I am curious if anybody else noticed it.[/QUOTE]

I noticed this as well. I assumed it was meant to flush out all the remaining hot air inside the case to extend life.

[quote name='Chase']It depends if you enable "Let downloads finish in the background."

I enabled it and noticed a ten-second delay after shutting down my 360. I really do need to disable that setting again.[/quote]

I've had that feature enabled since its release, and it only started this process since the NXE update. It's happening even when I do not have any downloads running (unless the NXE downloads something anonymously.)

It's not a big issue for me...I just wanted to make sure it was a common occurance.

[quote name='gordojones88']A Kingdom for Keflings NXE Premium Theme

NXE_Friends_2.jpg
A

[/quote]

I couldn't find that one on the XBLM last night.

[quote name='newantt']Theres no 5 avatar items, Kotaku probably got something lost in translation.[/quote]

I agree, "five kinds of ninja avatar items included for the object"...I have a feeling that its talking about the 5 different items that show up on your friends list, like the Vehicles with Halo 3, tents with Fable II, cars with Forza 2...etc.

(using Google Translator)

Yea I was hoping for a Halo related item in my avatar library but no go when I got the Halo Wars theme which I love. Yup this is the end of custom themes, since you can't create 3d models for your friends list.

[quote name='Antic']Does installing a game to you Hard drive actually make it faster? If so, I'm surprised someone hasn't created a new discussion on it or add it in the first post of games that run better.[/QUOTE]

Well, I've said this twice already in this thread (but it moves fast so those comments are buried many pages back) - Civ Rev is MUCH better with the HD install. I mean, the noise reduction is all I need from this - any benefit in increased speed/faster load times is just a bonus. But Civ Rev really stuttered around when it had to access the disc, and game saves (for some reason) were slow. It has all been sped up dramatically and the game is a much smoother experience now.

I plan on installing anything I play more than once. So far all I have on there is Civ Rev and GHWT. I have about 36 GB free, so I guess that is only enough for about 3 or 4 more games depending on the size. But then again, I have at least 20 (full game) demos on there I could get rid of if necessary. I've been hesitant only because they are so big and a pain to re-download if I ever want them. But then again, I have such a huge backlog of real games, who needs a backlog of demos? :lol:

It would be nice if the requirement was a once-a-week disc check or something instead of having to have the disc in there each time (simply for convenience). But then I guess that could get exploited for extended rentals ;). Or maybe just an every-other-play check (but then I guess people would just leave a game on till they beat it). OK, I guess I see why they did what they did...

[quote name='Soodmeg']Well shit I guess I have to invest in a bigger hard drive.

Bah.....why do things make me buy them.[/quote]
I've certainly found it to be worth it, even if it's only to quiet the system down a bit. Look around for deals and it won't be as bad either.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Well shit I guess I have to invest in a bigger hard drive.

Bah.....why do things make me buy them.[/QUOTE]

it's not about the size of the hdd it about how you use it
many people say size doesn't matter but for myself i enjoy having a big one

[quote name='io']Well, I've said this twice already in this thread (but it moves fast so those comments are buried many pages back) - Civ Rev is MUCH better with the HD install. I mean, the noise reduction is all I need from this - any benefit in increased speed/faster load times is just a bonus. But Civ Rev really stuttered around when it had to access the disc, and game saves (for some reason) were slow. It has all been sped up dramatically and the game is a much smoother experience now.

I plan on installing anything I play more than once. So far all I have on there is Civ Rev and GHWT. I have about 36 GB free, so I guess that is only enough for about 3 or 4 more games depending on the size. But then again, I have at least 20 (full game) demos on there I could get rid of if necessary. I've been hesitant only because they are so big and a pain to re-download if I ever want them. But then again, I have such a huge backlog of real games, who needs a backlog of demos? :lol:[/quote]

That all sounds great! And...I have a big backlog of demos too, which is ridiculous-to go along with my huge backlog of real games :lol:

I feel like im in the minority with a 20GB now :(

I guess I could always install a game Im playing (I tend to play one game for a few weeks at a time instead of switching) and then uninstall it later if I need space.

anyone know if they took off the feature where you can watch Netflix movies with your party????

and is there a way to undo the Netflix add because I linked with my brothers by accident

I made this pretty quick but just to get some ideas of ways that future updates could work.

NXE-Ideas.jpg

Expanded Community
- Social: Linking your gamertag to various social networks. Similar to how Apple has them on the iTunes store. You can download a Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, etc. You can post messages and link to other friends.
- Networks: Create various groups for either websites, friends, clans. This would solve issues with limiting the number of friends on a single person's list. You can view what networks people are a part of. So say, you join the CAG network. We can all see one another on the list and then play games and add people to our list or even hide people. Part of this will include a event system.
- Network Events: A calendar system where you can schedule out a time to meet up for a certain game. Would be like what Microsoft is trying to do with it's events but we would have more control. These would flag up on your NXE as a reminder. You can also view open events to join them.

NXE Favorites
- Favorites: An easy option to select various parts of the NXE system as a favorite for easy access into a Favorites channel.
- Xbox Button: Xbox button, taking a cue from the iPhone, can have a feature selected to it for a quick double tap. This can be to your gamer profile, friends list or just My Xbox. Would be a faster way to get directly where you want.
-XDock: A third party app for the iPhone added the Apple dock option the corner which had a lens flare. This can be used easily by the right control stick. Favorites would appear as a ring and you can select them that way.

NXE RSS
- Feed: RSS, Marketplace and News Updates can be added to the bottom of the dashboard. These would also include updates for games you do have. You can also view the feed in a separate section. Various options are available with keywords for games you own. So say you want to be updated when there is a new song for RockBand2 or Gears of War 2 getting a new map. It will tell you on your dashboard. Same for new videos and other things like optional Xbox news, world news and sports. RSS feeds can be added aswell.

NXE Video, Photo, Music Update
- Youtube & Flickr: Videos and Photos will also get networked and added support. You can link your Gamertag to your flickr images. Youtube will be added to your video section where you can browse through them like on the iPhone.
- Zune Marketplace: Finally connecting your Zune to your 360. You can share the music but also the entire music store and subscriber options, similar to how Netflix works.
- Party Jukebox: You can play music among your party. The music can be tagged for purchase.
- Dynamic View: Basically cover and grid view for photos, videos and music.

[quote name='Mako1215']anyone know if they took off the feature where you can watch Netflix movies with your party????[/QUOTE]

Yes. It may be added in the future. I'm not holding my breath, though.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yes. It may be added in the future. I'm not holding my breath, though.[/quote]

Man that pisses me off!
Me and my brother were lookin forward to that

Can some one explain to me whats going on and if its preventable.

I have 2 360s. One is for netflix streaming and one is for game. Every time I log in to live with console A, I have to recover my profile on console B. Every time I log in on console B, I have to again recover my profile on console A. An error pops up saying my membership is not valid and i am forced to recover my profile. Whats the deal? Is this support to happen. I cannot stand having to continually recover my profile. Thanks CAGs

[quote name='Flyersfan']I feel like im in the minority with a 20GB now :([/quote]

That's what I've got. It'll always hold at least one game at a time, so it should work fine. At least for how I'm playing it, I usually just play one game at a time until I finish it.

[quote name='Mako1215']Man that pisses me off!
Me and my brother were lookin forward to that[/QUOTE]

Can't you just do a voice chat at the same time, or even call on the phone or something?

[quote name='kevzik']I have 2 360s. One is for netflix streaming and one is for game. Every time I log in to live with console A, I have to recover my profile on console B. Every time I log in on console B, I have to again recover my profile on console A. An error pops up saying my membership is not valid and i am forced to recover my profile. Whats the deal? Is this support to happen. I cannot stand having to continually recover my profile. Thanks CAGs[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you should buy a memory card, move your profile to the card, and just move the card back and forth between those consoles as needed. Otherwise it's going to keep doing that. And out of curiosity, did you buy a separate 360 just to stream stuff off Netflix? And if so, why?

I bought an extra way before NXE simply because is was dirty cheap with the CC 40 of 200 coupon.

Man thats lame. Why does microsoft do this?

[quote name='Wolfpup']
Can't you just do a voice chat at the same time, or even call on the phone or something?
[/quote]

He has Netflix. I don't it's just so I could watch movies if I wanted to. Thats what I'm mad about.

[quote name='Mako1215']He has Netflix. I don't it's just so I could watch movies if I wanted to. Thats what I'm mad about.[/quote]
Keep in mind that you BOTH have to have Live Gold AND a Netflix sub. You can't share the video, you all have to have a subscription. So you may as well just do voice chat or talk on the phone while watching the movie.

[quote name='kevzik']

Man thats lame. Why does microsoft do this?[/QUOTE]

It's always been like this, since the 360 came out. That's the entire reason they sold Memory cards, so you can easily carry your profile on it.

Think about it, if it were really easy to log into a gold account on multiple xbox's, you'd have a lot of people (especially cag's) sharing gold accounts to avoid subscriptions.

Your gamertag is specifically tied to a console unless it exists on a memory card. They allow you to recover your gamertag on other consoles, but they make it slow and painful so you won't want to do it all the time.

I'm already spoiled by the install feature. I rented a game last night and started to play and was instantly annoyed by the sound of the drive... sooo... I installed the rental. :lol: Quiet as a church mouse now.

It really sucks that this feature doesn't work with Halo 3.

[quote name='Corvin']I'm already spoiled by the install feature. I rented a game last night and started to play and was instantly annoyed by the sound of the drive... sooo... I installed the rental. :lol: Quiet as a church mouse now.

It really sucks that this feature doesn't work with Halo 3.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if this will be the same for Halo 3: Recon?

bread's done
Back