New XBOX Experience - General Discussion

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I hate having to pay for these damn things. I was all excited about the Fable 2 theme, but then I realized it was 250 space bucks. Come on. These things should be used to promote games, not further rape our digital wallets.

Totally obnoxious and almost comical. I hope people don't fall for it, or for the avatar clothing packs that are probably going to be $5 each. Ludicrous.[/quote]

Don't worry, friend, because you are not alone. I refuse to pay for this crap that should be free. I think the only thing I ever paid for...in terms of themes, pics, etc...was the ScrewAttack picture pack, because I wanted the Angry Nerd.

For those of you who are wondering what are the load times for some games that are installed into the HD here are some results.

http://www.bingegamer.net/2008/so-h...saving-xbox-360-nxe-hard-drive-install-chart/

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341808

Games such as Halo 3 is actually worse because the game was optimize to cache to the HD from the DVD frequently, so if it was installed to the HD it would cache onto itself and basically slowdown the loadtime progress.

Other than that most of the numbers were about similar to the ones ive installed myself as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally tried it out last night - pretty cool stuff. I made some wacky avatar and deleted all of my 0 GS games. I don't have room on my HD to try out the game install though (damn Rock Band and its awesomeness). The one criticism I have is that scrolling through the Friends List is clunky.

Played with it a little more last night. I'm sure I will get used to it but I still miss the blades coming in from the side during gameplay after pressing the guide button.

[quote name='thrustbucket']

Oh - and I motion that the next person to ask how to remove 0 gamerscore games from the list be given internet torture and death.[/quote]

Wait, how do you remove 0 gamerscore games from the list?

[quote name='javeryh']The one criticism I have is that scrolling through the Friends List is clunky[/QUOTE]

I'll probably never use the dashboard friends list. Thankfully the guide button friends list is the same as the old one.

[quote name='GuruuShah']does anybody get random dashboard freezes? everytime im looking at my friends avatars my xbox just freezes[/quote]

try reading the last 50 posts.

I don't know if it's been posted or not, I haven't seen it listed in any comparison charts, but the difference on Guitar Hero: World Tour when installed is like night and day. It cut down on load times, completely eliminated other load times, and made the game tolerable to play without it having to load every other second.

[quote name='Scorch']I don't know if it's been posted or not, I haven't seen it listed in any comparison charts, but the difference on Guitar Hero: World Tour when installed is like night and day. It cut down on load times, completely eliminated other load times, and made the game tolerable to play without it having to load every other second.[/quote]

Yeah some games I've noticed a substantial amount of decrease in load times, like GH and L4D... others haven't done much difference.

I think what will happen is that games will start having it built in with the hard drive option to possibly make it load faster with a patch update. Its the way it reads the data, like in Halo, which is why there isn't much of a decrease in load times. We are talking about few seconds when we really want a minute off the load time.

love the nxe. but i've been having issues with the friends section. Sometimes it freezes up or just takes a long time to load. anyone with that issue?

[quote name='deletion']love the nxe. but i've been having issues with the friends section. Sometimes it freezes up or just takes a long time to load. anyone with that issue?[/quote]

Everyone is having it. The load on Live is causing freezing issues, mostly in the friends list.

Well, I've played with it a bit, and I like it.
Sure it's a bit cutesee, but so friggin' what. If you don't like it, hit the Xbox button and use the small blade system.
One of my friends avatars actually does look like him. Impressive (in a silly kind of way).
I LOVE the install to hard drive feature. Playing Gears2, I can actually hear the critters all over the place, instead of missing half the game because I can't hear it over the disc drive. Love it.
I appreciate being able to delete game history for games with "0" gamerscore.
I like how quickly everything moves along from menus, to window panes.

So anyone been trying the community games?

So far I've liked Blow, weapon of choice, coliseum and In the Pit.

In the Pit is a very interesting experiment. No graphics at all. You can only use your sense of sound and touch to play.
http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-US&pla...7b-7797abc6a58c&showPlaylist=true&from=shared

One big problem with these community games, though, it seems there is an arbitrary time limit placed on all the trials. In many of the games you don't even get out of the tutorial before it ends. I may have bought Weapon of Choice, or Blow, had I been able to actually try the game.

I agree that it seems cluttered.
Its worth it for the loading of the games. no more mini jet engine sounds for me. Its helping on fallout

Its crappy that I can't preview a theme that I MIGHT want to buy from M$ official website.....are they that scared that someone is going to steal them????

I feel stupid buying that first fable 2 theme now seeing how there's a new one! Wish they gave refunds....

i have a question about thee netflix, is it possible to hook up to more than one xbox to a netflix account. i have it but my cousin doesnt have it and i wonder if he can be hooked up to my netflix account.

I have no interest in paying for themes that advertise a game. I want something from Disruptive Publishers. There is an extreme shortage of themes that just show things like scenery, cityscapes, models/hot woman.

Right now the "Night" theme will do me just fine though.

[quote name='eddyskiies']i have a question about thee netflix, is it possible to hook up to more than one xbox to a netflix account. i have it but my cousin doesnt have it and i wonder if he can be hooked up to my netflix account.[/quote]

I'm willing to bet you can't. Wouldn't make sense from a business perspective to allow multiple people to use one account on a pay service. I'm sure the netflix account is tied to your xbox live account somehow.

[quote name='eddyskiies']i have a question about thee netflix, is it possible to hook up to more than one xbox to a netflix account. i have it but my cousin doesnt have it and i wonder if he can be hooked up to my netflix account.[/quote]

Yes it is. I linked my trial to my brothers account by accident :bomb:
He already has his linked to his.

And does anyone know how to watch a movie with your party?

I like the hard drive installs and the Netflix streaming, but other than those I'm not a fan.

I really hate the avatars and hope they don't start showing up in too many games.

[quote name='Mako1215']Yes it is. I linked my trial to my brothers account by accident :bomb:
He already has his linked to his.[/quote]
Does anyone know how to reset this link or rearrange it to another xbox? I am using my sisters netflix account, but they might get an xbox this christmas and they'd need to put it on theirs.

And does anyone know how to watch a movie with your party?

You can't yet. They said that feature is coming later.

One thing I remember seeing was how the games had the cover flow but I havn't really seen that yet. It is just a list like it was before. I liked the whole coverflow aspect, wish it was used a ton more.

[quote name='Mako1215']Yes it is. I linked my trial to my brothers account by accident :bomb:
He already has his linked to his.[/quote]

i think he is asking if 2 xbox's can be linked to the same account at the same time and be able to watch different stuff at the same time. I'm pretty sure you can't do that...

[quote name='bingbangboom']One thing I remember seeing was how the games had the cover flow but I havn't really seen that yet. It is just a list like it was before. I liked the whole coverflow aspect, wish it was used a ton more.[/quote]

are you talking about when you are looking at what achievements you have? the games show up in coverflow format

[quote name='thrustbucket']So anyone been trying the community games?

So far I've liked Blow, weapon of choice, coliseum and In the Pit.

In the Pit is a very interesting experiment. No graphics at all. You can only use your sense of sound and touch to play.
http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-US&pla...7b-7797abc6a58c&showPlaylist=true&from=shared

One big problem with these community games, though, it seems there is an arbitrary time limit placed on all the trials. In many of the games you don't even get out of the tutorial before it ends. I may have bought Weapon of Choice, or Blow, had I been able to actually try the game.[/QUOTE]

wha? where are these?

I want to know why the Females get a lot more clothes options than the males do. Makes me want to change my Avatar to a female just for the damn clothes.

At first, I thought Community Games were only for XNA members, not EVERYONE, which is great. I only DL'd one game, but I plan to check out the other 30+ games. I also think it's great that they are at a variety of prices; I've seen games from 200 points up to 800.

I don't mind paying for premium themes, since they put some effort into them. I don't see myself buying additional clothing, unless it's a Big Daddy suit or COG armor.

Is there anywhere where I can preview the Premium Themes before throwing 250 Points down the drain. The used to have it on Xbox.com before but I don't think they have it now.

How are you all posting your avatars? Mine looks so much like me it's not even funny.

Well, here's my gamertag anyway...

[quote name='Vulcan2422']So another question, anyway to change your console to Japan and download that Ninja Blade theme? I want some new clothes for my Avatar :([/quote]

No, you cannot change your console or gamertag region, everybody in the world would be switching back and forth, copyright issues.

But I can download the Japan-only NinjaBlade theme. Setup Japanese hotmail. Create Japanese gamertag.

Japan
Postal Code: 150-2345
Province: Tokyo-to
Phone Number: 3201-3331

Now try to figure out a way to get 250 mspoints into the account. Doah!

I'm not using a 1600 point card. Credit card won't work, needs Japan address. Doah!

Japanese-only NinjaBlade theme with exclusive custom Avatar clothes.

nb03.jpg

My Live account name was inspired by my grandpa, so it only seemed fitting to continue to theme with my avatar. When coming up with my name I wanted it to be funny... so I named it after the funniest person I know.

What the cheapest monthly subscription for Netflix I need to be able to watch the movies via my 360?

[quote name='ajh2298']What the cheapest monthly subscription for Netflix I need to be able to watch the movies via my 360?[/quote]

The cheapest plan, outside of a limited $5 per month plan, is the $9 per month plan.

---

I'm using the Night "premium" theme. 'Tis pretty---and free.

[quote name='ajh2298']What the cheapest monthly subscription for Netflix I need to be able to watch the movies via my 360?[/quote]

argh this question gets asked over and over.. 8.99

Is it possible to have copies of avatars? For example, you have the option to save an outfit. Say, if I wanted to change my gender, can I change it and save the outfit or do I have to start all over?

bread's done
Back