NHL 2012-2013 Season- Let's do this. Games start January 19

Soccer sucks... too many Golden Globe/Emmy winning actors... Every other sport becomes really really slow when you're used to Hockey speeds too.

Formula 1 is cool. I think they are mid or towards the end of the season.

I just got over the last strike... These idiots (the players and the owners) need to come to an agreement before one more game is cancelled and they better not institute any new stupid rules or unnecessary changes.

At least during the last lockout we had the Phantoms to watch around here... since the Spectrum is gone, they have since moved to somewhere in NY. I really hope the entire season isn't canned, I really don't think I could take an entire year without any hockey of any kind.

24702310.jpg

[quote name='shieryda']No-touch icing needs to happen. NOW.[/QUOTE]
As someone who watches college hockey... No touch icing is gay. Even if the offensive player is 20 feet ahead of everybody its still icing if it crosses the line before he touches it. All it'll do in the NHL is take away the stretch pass and create a lot of whistles in a game that has way too many already.

If you want to make some other adjustments, like wave off icing if two guys are racing neck and neck for it, thats not so bad.

Anything to keep 2 dudes from crashing into the boards feet-first (or neck-first) during a race for the puck, and keep players safe during plays like that, I'm all for it. Whatever it takes to prevent a player from suffering a career or season-ending injury.

After having experienced this sorta play personally and getting hurt from it, I have to agree with Shieryda. Been 6 mo. since playing so far...

[quote name='dafoomie']No touch icing is gay.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean here - gay things are pretty awesome in general, yet the rest of your post is highly critical of the idea of no-touch icing.

ESPN2 played what might have been the same KHL game twice today and Fox Sports Midwest is playing game 3 for San Jose and St. Louis. So it looks like we might get KHL on ESPN2 and repeats from last season on Fox Sports Midwest.

I was excited to see the KHL on ESPN last night (despite it being slow). Wish I could watch my Bruins play though.

Bought tickets to the Wolves/Ice Hogs game this Sunday. At least I'll be able to see some good young Blackhawks talent on the ice this season.

Watching my first KHL game. It's odd, although it's nice they have English commentators. Liking the No touch icing and that they don't dump it from the neutral zone.

I've been watching AHL and college hockey, it can be boring at times (particularly the AHL) but at least you can follow players in your team's system. Some colleges stream their home games for free.

50/50? Wow...who would have thought that that would be the most fair option? lol. They really need lawyers to figure this stuff out? Haha. In all seriousness, I know it gets way more technical with merchandising and other revenue streams, but seriously, it's hard to dispute an argument that the players and owners are EQUALLY responsible for both the successes and failures of the league. 50/50 should be carved into stone for the next 100 years. Now get those players who went overseas back here ASAP!

Well I hope this works out and we get a full NHL season. Haven't bothered watching any KHL (except some highlights).

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8515941/donald-fehr-questions-nhl-offer-letter-players

Donald Fehr is a f*cking moron if he gets the players to reject this deal. Stop being so f*cking greedy and accept it.

The players were asking for it really by hiring this guy
With the NHL locking out at midnight on September 15, 2012, Fehr has become the only Executive Director to be directly involved in work stoppages in two sports. Six of the eight contract negotiations he has been involved in have resulted in work stoppages, including five consecutive negotiations between the MLBPA and Major League Baseball

[quote name='slickkill77']Stop being so f*cking greedy and accept it.[/QUOTE]

Fehr asks: "As you will see, at the 5 percent industry growth rate the owners predict, the salary reduction over six years exceeds $1.6 billion. What do the owners offer in return?"

I think that is a reasonable question.

[quote name='mykevermin']Fehr asks: "As you will see, at the 5 percent industry growth rate the owners predict, the salary reduction over six years exceeds $1.6 billion. What do the owners offer in return?"

I think that is a reasonable question.[/QUOTE]

There won't be any growth if they cancel the season. Its going to hurt the NHL bad. Look I'm all for guys trying to make the most money possible and I'm not supporting the owners, but these guys are getting paid millions to play hockey. Accept the god damn deal and be happy. The longer they hold out the worse its going to be for everyone.

[quote name='KingBroly']The NHL trying to get a better TV contract and more teams would be a good start.[/QUOTE]

Isn't the number of teams at the moment the issue? With a lot of small market teams struggling that sounds like a bad idea. More Canadian teams maybe, but they'll have to be relocated from the current struggling teams

[quote name='slickkill77']There won't be any growth if they cancel the season. Its going to hurt the NHL bad. Look I'm all for guys trying to make the most money possible and I'm not supporting the owners, but these guys are getting paid millions to play hockey. Accept the god damn deal and be happy. The longer they hold out the worse its going to be for everyone.[/QUOTE]

Look, I want hockey as much as you do. The previous CBA did more to benefit owners than players, and hockey related revenue grew tremendously during that time. Teams are profitable to the extent that they don't make blunderous errors like Nashville did in match Philly's offer to Shea Weber (though I admit as a Flyers guy I have skin in that deal). Heck, even Nashville was profitable under this CBA (though we'll see that they look like in 13 months after they have to pat Weber $52m).

If the owners were in a bad way, the rollbacks in this CBA would make sense. But the fact is the became wealthier under the previous CBA, and now they're trying to extract more from the players. If the teams were going under or losing money, that would make sense. But that is not the premise.

Given those facts, to demand players simply give up and return to the ice demonstrates who is truly *greedy*. You, the fan.

Honestly, I would love some hockey. How ever, if it's not going to happen, it's not going to happen. I want to see the players get a fair deal, but 50/50 just won't cut it imho.

Anyways, Jeff Vinick gave away the first 50k to the Lightning community hero Tuesday which was suppose to be the Lightning Opener. Glad to see him still giving our community heroes money even with out a season right now. Plus, if they aren't using the ice, My buddies and I will. Which we have been.

[quote name='slickkill77']Isn't the number of teams at the moment the issue? With a lot of small market teams struggling that sounds like a bad idea. More Canadian teams maybe, but they'll have to be relocated from the current struggling teams[/QUOTE]

I'm being perfectly honest here: Charlotte

100% ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for a hockey town. There are tons of hockey fans here that migrated from New York, Pittsburgh, Canada, Washington, etc. The only problem we have is that Time Warner Cable Arena wasn't built to house hockey too.

Since we don't have a Professional Basketball team anymore, it'd be a great fit.

For Canada, the debate is between Hamilton and Quebec. But I can't imagine Toronto liking another hockey team in Hamilton very much.

In the meantime, an AHL Classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BPsaKNqBXc

Seattle is in the running for an arena. Will they get a new hockey team, or is someone planning on relocating? Or is this mainly just to bring an NBA team back to the area?

Are the Oilers thinking of moving there?

Phoenix does need to relocate. It's an embarassment trying to keep the Coyotes there. Move em to Seattle and call them the Sonics :)

Yes I am greedy because I want to watch hockey. I forgot we all make millions of dollars and it's the player who are struggling to feed their families :roll:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8520950/nhl-calls-union-counteroffers-step-backward

At this rate I hope the NHL falls to sh*t so they can have their little argument. I honestly get sick of hearing about players and owners crying about money in the NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA. They are millionaires and billionaires. I am not one of those people that thinks players shouldn't be getting paid millions either. They are entertainers. They should get paid what they deserve, but if this season is canceled the NHL is going to regret it big time and the players are going to be the ones that pay for it. It took the NHL 6-8 years to recover from the lockout and a lot of people thought the NHL was going the way of the MLS. They are killing all the good will that has been built up

I lol'd at the one comment that defended the players with "how would you like it if your salary was reduced by 7%?"

I could live extremely comfortably off that pay cut based on the average NHL salary. Hell, even at minimum NHL salary, that pay cut is still more than the earnings of two minimum wage workers. Considering they would make the other 93%, yeah, I still say fuck them...

I'm not sure why you'd call the millionaire players greedier than the billionaire owners. You're falling for their PR hook, line, and sinker if you think the players are in the wrong here.

In a negotiation, you give and take. All the owners have done is take, take, take without making a single concession. The owners chose to impose this lockout, not the players. The players are willing to play right now while negotiating. But that 7% you ridicule the players for wanting to keep, is apparently enough for the owners to threaten the entire season over. If its a trifling amount for a millionaire then what is it to a billionaire?

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm not sure why you'd call the millionaire players greedier than the billionaire owners. You're falling for their PR hook, line, and sinker if you think the players are in the wrong here.

In a negotiation, you give and take. All the owners have done is take, take, take without making a single concession. The owners chose to impose this lockout, not the players. The players are willing to play right now while negotiating. But that 7% you ridicule the players for wanting to keep, is apparently enough for the owners to threaten the entire season over. If its a trifling amount for a millionaire then what is it to a billionaire?[/QUOTE]

winner winner chicken dinner.

side note: how is it that we agree on this yet disagree in the vs forum so fervently? ;)

I'd love to use your suggestion, but unfortunately I work evening/nights and the office is shielded from all outside signals. I'm lucky to get one bar at work for txting or checking email. They don't have wifi for us to use either. Thanks though.

[quote name='mykevermin']winner winner chicken dinner.

side note: how is it that we agree on this yet disagree in the vs forum so fervently? ;)[/QUOTE]

You'll come around eventually.

[quote name='dafoomie']I'm not sure why you'd call the millionaire players greedier than the billionaire owners. You're falling for their PR hook, line, and sinker if you think the players are in the wrong here.

In a negotiation, you give and take. All the owners have done is take, take, take without making a single concession. The owners chose to impose this lockout, not the players. The players are willing to play right now while negotiating. But that 7% you ridicule the players for wanting to keep, is apparently enough for the owners to threaten the entire season over. If its a trifling amount for a millionaire then what is it to a billionaire?[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't care who's greedier. Both sides are. They are arguing over billions of dollars. It is just stupid when you make that much money to be bitching about it. All I want is hockey. I don't care who wins or who makes more money. All I know is that I don't make millions of dollars playing a game and neither do any of us, but we'd be damn happy if we did. I doubt we'd be bitching about losing a little chunk of money. The owners look like D-Bags too since they are making money outside of hockey, and they signed all those absurd contracts the past few years.

Watching an OHL game. THIS is definitely more like it. The commentator saying the KHL is like the NHL was smoking crack. I didn't see any evidence of skill in that game/league. No one could even get a shot off much less keep the puck. These guys in the OHL game are essentially drafted players so it's like seeing a rookie game. I'm good with that.

Was the OHL game on T.V.? Also the NHL takes players from the KHL, but I think more come from the OHL and AHL than the KHL. I would love to watch some OHL or AHL games.

Yeah, nhl network. Unfortuately... That looks like the only game to be aired... :/

:gasp: Maybe I should cave and become a football (still never seen them use their feet...) or Baseball fan... At least there will be hundreds of games on that I can record and watch later... So pathetic...

Islanders will be playing in Brooklyn starting in 2015. Announcement at 1pm. Unknown if it's a long-term move or interim.

EDIT: 25-year lease is the report.

Considering the arena they were in is an embarrassment I'm ok with this. Nobody cared about them anymore the entire decade anyway.

The last time most people cared about the Islanders was they debuted/aborted the Fisherman logo.

bread's done
Back