NHL 2012-2013 Season- Let's do this. Games start January 19

After reading that am I the only one that thinks the 50/50 offer was only given so that their would be an 82 game season? And now that their wont be an 82 game season that deal will come off the table. I really don't think Bettman wants to make a deal. I really think he doesn't want to even have a season.

[quote name='sendme']After reading that am I the only one that thinks the 50/50 offer was only given so that their would be an 82 game season? And now that their wont be an 82 game season that deal will come off the table. I really don't think Bettman wants to make a deal. I really think he doesn't want to even have a season.[/QUOTE]

The record revenues following the last lockout show that, while fans say they won't return, inevitably do. Not only that, but more follow. There's no incentive to avoid a lockout for fear of fan reprisal (currently). Just like people kvetch about Christmas displays in stores before Halloween - yes, it's annoying, but market research shows that people do start their Christmas shopping now, if not sooner. So something we wish were true, in both cases, isn't borne out by evidence. In both, the opposite is the case.

The NHLPA threw down three offers last week, one of them being a "expose the NHL owners" CBA. In it, the current CBA remained intact, with one change - 50/50 sharing of revenue. They NHLPA conceded that, and everything else remained - including the major sticking point, honoring existing player contracts fully in terms of length and cost. The NHL owners refused all of them around 15 minutes after they were submitted. In doing so, the owners outed themselves as the villains and the continued cause of stoppage in the season. The players gave them the greatest concession they wanted, but in the end, that was not good enough for them. The owners want to have their cake and eat it too - they want players to be bound to honor their contracts, while the owners wish to modify the terms of the contracts that were negotiated, in good faith, with the players. They want to fuck the players, and they want to do so at the fans' expense (missing out on a season).

The ball has always been in the owners' court, from my vantage point, to make concessions on the terms of the CBA. Their refusal to accept a shift from 57/43 HRR sharing to 50/50 HRR sharing exposes their greed.

[quote name='mykevermin']The record revenues following the last lockout show that, while fans say they won't return, inevitably do. Not only that, but more follow. There's no incentive to avoid a lockout for fear of fan reprisal (currently). Just like people kvetch about Christmas displays in stores before Halloween - yes, it's annoying, but market research shows that people do start their Christmas shopping now, if not sooner. So something we wish were true, in both cases, isn't borne out by evidence. In both, the opposite is the case.

The NHLPA threw down three offers last week, one of them being a "expose the NHL owners" CBA. In it, the current CBA remained intact, with one change - 50/50 sharing of revenue. They NHLPA conceded that, and everything else remained - including the major sticking point, honoring existing player contracts fully in terms of length and cost. The NHL owners refused all of them around 15 minutes after they were submitted. In doing so, the owners outed themselves as the villains and the continued cause of stoppage in the season. The players gave them the greatest concession they wanted, but in the end, that was not good enough for them. The owners want to have their cake and eat it too - they want players to be bound to honor their contracts, while the owners wish to modify the terms of the contracts that were negotiated, in good faith, with the players. They want to fuck the players, and they want to do so at the fans' expense (missing out on a season).

The ball has always been in the owners' court, from my vantage point, to make concessions on the terms of the CBA. Their refusal to accept a shift from 57/43 HRR sharing to 50/50 HRR sharing exposes their greed.[/QUOTE]

Yea fans will return because we love the sport. I remember for a few years after the lockout though, it was not looking pretty for the sport.

Some of them comments I think they might be out of the NHL if it was found out about. I'm talking about the one about getting high and the one about Dallas.

Announcement to cancel November's games coming soon:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408130

That blog has to be written by a Canadian. He references kilometers. We need some detectives to figure this out.

1) He mentions "Downse-y", probably a teammate, because who else would give a guy a nickname like that?

2) Best city to go out after a game: Montreal.

3) He's an Expos fan.

4) Maybe he plays for Montreal? I'm guessing it's P.K. Subban.

5) He's playing in Germany:

http://thebarnstormer.com/cheap-throat-the-diary-of-a-locked-out-nhler-day-30/

Maybe it's Jamie Benn from Dallas.

Next guess is someone who played/plays for Ottawa (mentions Radek Bonk and Alexander Daigle): Chris Neil?

http://thebarnstormer.com/cheap-throat-the-diary-of-a-locked-out-nhler-day-38/

No. I don't think he's in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shieryda']That blog has to be written by a Canadian. He references kilometers. We need some detectives to figure this out.[/QUOTE]

He also refers to his mother as "mum," which is not a very typical term if you're a North American.

Referencing kilometers only means he may not be American, since the rest of the bloody world (but the US) uses metric.

Alternately, if he's a savvy player, he'll mix things up that might serve as clues so as to throw us off. Though eating cheesey puffs and getting high means it could be anybody. Except perhaps Tim Thomas.

Sounds like he might be a bit of a brawler, too. And someone who may play in the Northeast or Atlantic Division (Eastern Conference, for sure).

Then again, this may just be a big entertaining hoax.

Glad yall are enjoying it. Some of his entries are so damn funny.

I always laugh when I read this one

" Best cities to catch your linemate get a tugger from a tranny behind the rink after a loss in which he gave the puck away trying to make a move at his own blue line in the last two minutes of a tied game: Dallas."

[quote name='shieryda']Sounds like he might be a bit of a brawler, too. And someone who may play in the Northeast or Atlantic Division (Eastern Conference, for sure).[/quote]

Given the list of players they hate? Maybe. Clearly not a Flyer, though I was initially thinking Scott Hartnell given the blog on pants shitting. I dunno, just strikes me as the kind of thing he might do. Also, yeah: brawler.

Then again, this may just be a big entertaining hoax.

Perhaps. They've got nothing better to do right now, for the most part. It's fun to read, and possibly pretend it's so-and-so.

I thought the NHL 13 part was the best. I think that might be due to me playing in the league for the 360 and hating all the issues with the game.

Also I will see if I can find it, but Yahoo posted a video of a player playing a joke on another one at some training camp.

EDIT: Never mind I might have been thinking of the link n8rockerasu posted.

I think the safe bet is the season is lost. Feel a bit sorry for those non-millionaire/billionaire folks that have had their incomes shot because millionaires/billionaires can't decide where the money goes.

[quote name='ced']I think the safe bet is the season is lost. Feel a bit sorry for those non-millionaire/billionaire folks that have had their incomes shot because millionaires/billionaires can't decide where the money goes.[/QUOTE]

I was actually just discussing the repercussions of the lockout on "regular folks". I can vouch that downtown Buffalo, NY is dead and so far two establishments have closed that I know of. I mean, the bars and restaurants in these hockey cities rely heavily on the hockey nights and with no hockey this season I'm expecting to see a lot of places close before next Spring. And that doesn't include the people who work during the actual hockey games at the local arenas.

Interesting "pro-players" article that really blasts the owners for how long this lockout has dragged on. Hoping a deal is close though considering they're meeting for the 4th day in a row tomorrow. I'd be thrilled for even a 68 game season starting in December.

I wonder if there is any chance to get the Winter Classic back should they be able to get the season to start in time for December. I doubt Michigan has anything lined up to replace that event...

Too fuckin bad... That's what you get when ur all fuckin idiots... If I could get my sis and dad to give up their season tickets I would so that they get no funds from my family that'd be fuckin great.

I know some of the owners are still paying/helping their lower tier employees. The Lightning owner is still giving away $50k to a charity for every "home game". He's a real class act. Everyone in the area loves him.

I keep refreshing nhl.yahoo.com hoping to see a new article announcing both sides have reached an agreement...or are at least making progress.

I'm not even interested in this season anymore. ANY gain the NHL/NHLPA would have had this season or next was lost now that the entire season is pretty much blown. $3.3 billion last year? And this year they lockout over essentially a few $100 million. Smart.

I *may* watch next season, but for now I plan on getting NHL 13 (or 12, cheaper) and watching the European leagues.

fucking mediation couldn't even help end this charade. Tired of hearing about the negotiations and discussions. Just cancel the season already and let the young guns get more experience in Europe and in the AHL.

There was another blog on Yahoo recently talking about how whatever gets done...whenever it gets done, it needs to be long-term. This "every 7 years" crap is what's killing the league. I understand that financial climates change and what was a good deal today may not be a good deal in a decade. But having work stoppages this often makes what should be a fun game and an escape from the responsibilities of "real life" just look like more greed and politics.

We all know that the NHL wouldn't exist if they weren't making money, but it's not supposed to look this obvious. They shouldn't be reminding us how much money we spend on tickets, memorabilia, etc. and by arguing over how that money should be split every 7 years. Play the damn games, smile, and keep taking our money. As the blog mentioned, if it takes losing another entire season to reach an actual good agreement that can last for a longer time, it's probably worth it. But they have to find a better way to deal with this crap too. They can't just shut down every 7 years and expect people to not get tired of it.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Considering I could barely get though the 5 min. video (w/ mute on) I don't think this is a good replacement...[/QUOTE]

file.php

[quote name='VipFREAK']I could barely get though the 5 min. video (w/ mute on)[/QUOTE]

I feel like this strike was like spitting in the face of the fans. As a guy who went to numerous games a year for the last decade, they'll definitely have to earn back my support. After having the Kings win the cup and the Rangers make a deep run in the playoffs (in my opinion exactly what the NHL needed to have happen to broaden its fan base); the owners sh*t the bed and totally neglected the fans. I love the NHL but the damage they have done to their image I believe will be measured in years, not months, and that's really disappointing.

Dad and Sis have season tickets, they were offered SF Bull tickets (ECHL) so I went with my sis. I'm over hockey, it was so bad we left before the 3rd period started...

So what happens if you're a season ticket holder? Are you on the hook for the payments still? How easy/difficult (okay, difficult) is it to get out of them?

It seems the teams should be bending over backwards to not fuck season ticket holders, and to make sure that they court those people - the big spenders and the die hards. But my guess is they're more likely to take them for granted, and squeeze them for another nickel.

Some poor little Slovak got smoked today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TIWWQ24wVg

Not sure how I feel about this hit. If it's in the NHL I'm fine with it, a pro should protect himself in that situation and be aware that the forecheck is coming, but maybe in junior hockey if you want to have a few more rules to protect kids from getting their heads taken off that would be ok too.

Why the fuck were they trying to lift him before the stretcher got down there? Camara got a 5-min major and a game? Some Russian dude cross-checked a player in the face the other day, and only got a 2-min minor.

It seems insincere to portray concern when you say "some poor little Slovak got smoked."

His name is in the title of the video, and to say he was "smoked" seems rather celebratory.

bread's done
Back