Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Strell']I know no one here really cares about most of the titles, or doesn't trust Famitsu, or whatever else excuse you'll throw out, but still:

That's pretty impressive for launch titles.[/QUOTE]
Pleasantly surprised to see SW:C scored pretty well. A little shocked that Layton scored so low, though. For comparison, Famitsu's rating of DS launch titles:

Sawaru Made in Wario (NDS, Nintendo): 9 / 9 / 8 / 10 - (36/40)
Super Mario 64 (NDS, Nintendo): 9 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (30/40)
Feel the Magic: XY/XX (NDS, Sega): 8 / 9 / 7 / 9 - (33/40)
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits (NDS, Namco): 8 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Pokemon Dash (NDS, Nintendo): 8 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (31/40)
The Urbz: Sims in the City (NDS, EA): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Zoo Keeper (NDS, Ignition): 9 / 6 / 7 / 6 - (28/40)
Tendo Dokuta (NDS, Spike): 7 / 8 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Daigasso! Band Brothers (NDS, Nintendo): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
Chokkan Hitofude (NDS, Nintendo): 8 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (31/40)
Zunou ni Asekaku Game Series! Vol. 1: Cool 104 Joker & Setline (NDS, Aruze): 7 / 4 / 5 / 5 - (21/40)

Here's a thought - will 3DS games be able to play with players who have a DS version of the game? I'm thinking Lego Star Wars III here. I'm guessing the answer is no, unless you are playing the DS version on the 3DS, but it would be nice if it were possible to play 3DS version vs DS version, if they are essentially compatible (like Lego Star Wars III).

Also shocked @ Layton's score. I'm still debating keeping my preorder, but if I do, that's the one game I was gonna pick up at launch. Also surprised at Mario 64's score from the original DS launch. I assume most of that negativity was the "controls", or lack thereof.

32 is still considered a "silver" award in famitsu, and any game scoring over that they commit to making a few extra articles about the game post-release. This is also the reason you get a lot of good games that score right at 31: because they don't want to write extra articles about them for some reason. Not that the scores really matter -- the 'reviewers' have little more than what GamePro would have to say about them and typically their reasons for a lower score make no sense and reek of favoritism.

Any news on when they will have in store demos? I can't wait to buy one but I really want to just get my eyes on one too.

I was oging to buy one at launch- but the launch titles are not catching my attention. I am going to wait until Zelda/Paper Mario/Mario Kart/Kid Icarus (any one of them) comes out. I would get Steel Diver out of all of that, but that is just an interest, and not a must have- for me anyway.

I want to see the 3D effect in person though. 2 out of every 10 people cannot see it, and I hope I am not part of the minority!

As I recently discovered that I won't be able to pick one up at launch, I can't say I'm real broken up that nothing in the launch line-up is calling out to me.

Give me a firm date for Zelda, then we'll talk.

If anything, like the guy above me said... not buying it day one will give me time to see how the 3D works before I buy it. It's not what's selling me on the system, but not going in blind sounds okay.

Alas, since we're now two one game and one movie behind on Professor layton who knows what year Mask of Miracle will come out here.

530ts3console3dspackfrontfront.jpg

Haven't seen this mentioned, but I noticed the official boxarts have the Nintendo 3DS strip on the right side of the box where it opens up instead of the left side like it's always been for that style of boxart.

Huh. Must be to help differentiate it. I bet the clueless will still be confused though.

My favorite idiotic comment... "WHY CAN'T I PLAY THESE PLAYSTATION 3 GAMES ON MY PLAYSTATION 2!!!!! SONY IS RIPPING ME OFF! THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE IS THERE?"

Yes, really I've heard that LOL

[quote name='foltzie']Alas, since we're now two one game and one movie behind on Professor layton who knows what year Mask of Miracle will come out here.[/QUOTE]

The movie got a UK release so you can still get it if you got a region free DVD player

So this month's Nintendo Power arrived in my mailbox today. :whee:

About the DS's pedometer, on page 11, it says:

"They say you can't get something for nothing, but the Nintendo 3DS rewards you for just walking around. In Sleep Mode, the system acts as a pedometer, which lets you earn Play Coins. The coins can then be traded for unlockable goodies in certain games and applications."

And then, about the eShop:

"The Nintendo eShop (which will be available through a system update) will allow you to get your downloadable gaming fix. The shop will let you purchase DSiWare, titles exclusive to Nintendo 3DS, and Virtual Console games (feature favorites from the Game Boy and Gameboy Color, including Super Mario Land and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX). The shop will also let you view vidoes and information on current games, and you'll be able to search the shop using numerous paramters (such as favorite gaming franchises) to help you find the titles that are right for you."

Perhaps I missed it somewhere, but this was the first I'd heard of Play Coins. While the concept sounds neat, it sounds like one of those things that might be largely abandoned down the road. Except in Japan, where at least the internet makes me to believe every newborn capable of holding a stylus has a DS and takes it everywhere they go.

And I know there had been some questions about whether GBA games would be available to download, but it looks like at this point there's no plans for that.

[quote name='jza1218']This might be a stupid question, but will original Gameboy games display in B&W?[/QUOTE]

The screenshots in the magazine show them this way. I imagine Nintendo will leave them pretty perfect replicas of the old games.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Perhaps I missed it somewhere, but this was the first I'd heard of Play Coins. While the concept sounds neat, it sounds like one of those things that might be largely abandoned down the road. Except in Japan, where at least the internet makes me to believe every newborn capable of holding a stylus has a DS and takes it everywhere they go.[/QUOTE]

I've heard about these Play coins before. You get something like one coin per hundred steps, with a daily max of ten coins, with the system having a max of 300 coins it can store per person...or at least number similar to those. I can't remember the source to reference from.

Just seems like they integrated the Pokewalker from Pokemon Heartgold/SoulSilver into the system itself.

Given that there's a hard cap on the number of coins we can get a day, I hope developers don't use it as a way to artificially extend the life of a game...like by requiring 100 coins to unlock stages or something.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Just seems like they integrated the Pokewalker from Pokemon Heartgold/SoulSilver into the system itself.[/QUOTE]

Don't pedometers break pretty frequently though?

[quote name='elessar123']Don't pedometers break pretty frequently though?[/QUOTE]

Hell if I know. They probably won't have a dedicated pedometer part, but rather will use the built-in accelerometer. The 3DS has an accelerometer, right?

[quote name='Salamando3000']Given that there's a hard cap on the number of coins we can get a day, I hope developers don't use it as a way to artificially extend the life of a game...like by requiring 100 coins to unlock stages or something.[/QUOTE]

Time will tell, I suppose. Considering we've seen no indication of what these unlock, it's a little too early to get excited.

[quote name='elessar123']Don't pedometers break pretty frequently though?[/QUOTE]

Well, in fairness, the 3DS is a $249.99 pedometer. So I like to think it'll last.

[quote name='willardhaven']I hate eco cases but I love that.[/QUOTE]

Same. That Nintendogs case is the happiest thing ever.

Is it just me, or does the case seem bigger than a normal DS case?

I'm not sure what the PSP Go has to do with anything. I don't know why you'd be all defensive about the 3DS card being slightly different than a DS card.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']3DS cards have an idiot tab so that they can't be put into a DS. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I like that. "Idiot tab." :lol:

[quote name='dallow']You just know someone's going to file that tab down.[/QUOTE]

They should put some electronic component in that little tab. And when you file it down, it explodes in a little rainbow of confetti. A little piece of paper drifts out that says, "Screw you! Go get your mom to give you $250!"

So maybe I'm late to the game. Just noticed some boxarts on Amazon.

Pilotwings
5125iRbtn5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Steel Diver
518u3g2x8GL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

By the way, in this month's Nintendo Power, Reggie says that Steel Diver is the game worth getting on 3DS. He's like, "I know you all wanna buy games you trust, but seriously, Steel Diver is the launch of a new franchise! And it's not, I repeat, NOT, only a tech demo that you'll get tired of in 5 minutes."

Not his quote. But he does say that if you get two games, get this among them.

I like the 3DS boxes, I gotta say. Sexy tex mexi.

Apparently the 3DS boxes can't stand upright. The bottom isn't as flat as it seems. Time to use bookends. [quote name='cochesecochese']and they call him slidecage[/QUOTE]

:D

[quote name='dallow']Apparently the 3DS boxes can't stand upright. The bottom isn't as flat as it seems. Time to use bookends.
[/QUOTE]

Really? Glad mine are on a shelf on my entertainment center.

Are all of the boxarts going to be ruined by the line "Playable in 2D and 3D. 3D mode for ages 7+. See back." on the front? WTF! That should be on a sticker, attached to the shrinkwrap- not on the boxart!!!

Steeldiver is one I'm waiting on reviews for. I haven't seen anything that makes me want to run out and pre-order, and it really does look like a glorified tech demo. We shall see.

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Are all of the boxarts going to be ruined by the line "Playable in 2D and 3D. 3D mode for ages 7+. See back." on the front? WTF! That should be on a sticker, attached to the shrinkwrap- not on the boxart!!![/QUOTE]

Personally, I'm getting tired of all the screenshots of the game that tell you the pic is a 2D image of a 3D game.

Like, seriously? Is anyone really going, "Zomg, why isn't this flat sheet of paper or picture on my screen in 3D? Nothing else is in 3D -- shouldn't these pics be in 3D?"

Tard-factories, the whole race.

Having worked in tech support, I can absolutely assure you there are indeed droves of people thinking that.

An hour in one of those places and you start to wonder how we, as a species, managed to take over the planet.

[quote name='dallow']Cubic Ninja won't have 3D.
I like that they're not forced to get that in there. [/QUOTE]

I'm surprised but pleased by that. Disabling the gimmick gives you double the fill rate...which can lead to better games.

I'm trying to remember. There was a post a few pages back about how DSiWare transfered wouldn't work until the eShop launched? Is that right? I could be delusional. It's early. ;)

[quote name='utopianmachine']I'm trying to remember. There was a post a few pages back about how DSiWare transfered wouldn't work until the eShop launched? Is that right? I could be delusional. It's early. ;)[/QUOTE]

Indeed, is a function or a download from said eShop.

[quote name='foltzie']Indeed, is a function or a download from said eShop.[/QUOTE]

Grr, I wanted to sell my DSi as close to the 3DS launch as possible, but it looks like I've been sucker-punched by my beloved Nintendo. I've got too much DSiWare on this thing to just dump it on eBay or CAG without getting it off. :bomb:

bread's done
Back