Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't waffling after launch. I really want a JPN unit (over a US unit) but I just can't justify dropping that kind of cash quite yet. I guess I'll let my preorder go through and if I ship during the launch wave I'll keep it otherwise, I'll wait until the JPN units come down in price.

[quote name='dallow']Yeah, the option to transfer is on the system but when you click on it the system will state you need an update to use it. Supposed to be made available May. [/QUOTE]

May? Geez.

[quote name='dallow']Damn, I was hoping the blur from the stretching out of DS games wasn't as bad as early impressions stated.... :(

But the color temp seems more correct on the 3DS.

http://www.dcharlie.com/3DSvsDSL-2.jpg[/QUOTE]

I don't think it looks too bad. At least not as bag as Gameboy stretching was on the GBA.

[quote name='dallow']Damn, I was hoping the blur from the stretching out of DS games wasn't as bad as early impressions stated.... :(

But the color temp seems more correct on the 3DS.

http://www.dcharlie.com/3DSvsDSL-2.jpg[/QUOTE]

Surely there will be an option to retain the correct aspect ratio?

It's weird how the GBA was widescreen, then the DS went back to 4:3, then... :D

[quote name='utopianmachine']May? Geez.

I don't think it looks too bad. At least not as bag as Gameboy stretching was on the GBA.[/QUOTE]Look how fuzzy the text and details are.
But see below, there's a fix.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Surely there will be an option to retain the correct aspect ratio?

It's weird how the GBA was widescreen, then the DS went back to 4:3, then... :D[/QUOTE]Actually they just found out how to do 1:1 pixel mapping.
Hold Start & Select as you launch a DS game.
So it'll be small, but no distortion mess.

------------------------

Also, the bigger the AR card.......

9wfzM.jpg

:lol:

[quote name='dallow']Look how fuzzy the text and details are.

Actually they just found out how to do 1:1 pixel mapping.
So it'll be small, but no distortion mess. [/QUOTE]

Hm, I guess it'll be one of those things that'll come down to personal preference. I've always enjoyed the screen to be filled, but I remember back with the GBA SP, some games looked like crap stretched. Guess we'll see in a month.

[quote name='dallow']Look how fuzzy the text and details are.

Actually they just found out how to do 1:1 pixel mapping.
So it'll be small, but no distortion mess.
[/QUOTE]

Better than nothing, but they should have a software toggle...plus I like stuff blown up as much as possible while retaining the correct aspect ratio (like for example Playstation 1 games can be blown up to fill the vertical resolution on the PSP...technically not 1:1 at that point, but I can't tell its scaled at least).

[quote name='Wolfpup']like for example Playstation 1 games can be blown up to fill the vertical resolution on the PSP...technically not 1:1 at that point, but I can't tell its scaled at least.[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the option I use too (most games just look like ass if they're stretched to fill the screen). Really really hope for the GB/GBC VC games they display at native resolutions. Hell, throw a Super Gameboy-esque border around it, just please don't stretch it out like mad.

Oh that's right, I forgot about that! I'll be fine I think if they just don't screw up the aspect ratio on those.

*sigh* I hate download systems, especially Nintendo's. I hate "3D"...but dang, if I can finally get copies of the second Kid Icarus and Super Mario Land 2 :)

I'd expect those at least, although companies haven't been super great about bringing out more obscure stuff on the VC...although a lot of stuff that should be on there probably has licensing issues :whistle2:/

Just made arrangement to sell my DS Lite on craigslist, so I guess I'm keeping my 3DS preorder.

I figure even if I don't go batshit for the 3DS games right away, it will be new enough since I haven't played DS games forever. I can play around with the DSware or whatever the hell it's called and get stuff like Spirit Tracks and Okamiden and Pokemon to hold me over until killer 3DS titles come out.

Sooooo tempted to keep my preorder (shiny new system wants) but with the shit launch schedule and unknown release dates for the real (imho) killer apps...

That and I'm OCD about keeping my old systems (still have DS phat and Lite)... wonder when the last day Amazon will allow a cancellation will be...

I don't really see the appeal of Netflix. I've never seen the appeal of videos on small handheld thing. I didn't understand videos on iPod classics, I didn't understand UMD movies for the PSP, I don't understand anything more than, like, a music/short Youtube video on an iPhone or iTouch, and I don't understand Netflix on the 3DS. I just don't see how anyone could ever stand staring at that small screen for a feature length film. It could, however, be potentially useful for an episode of a TV show if you're waiting at a DMV or something.

[quote name='Rocko']I don't really see the appeal of Netflix. I've never seen the appeal of videos on small handheld thing. I didn't understand videos on iPod classics, I didn't understand UMD movies for the PSP, I don't understand anything more than, like, a music/short Youtube video on an iPhone or iTouch, and I don't understand Netflix on the 3DS. I just don't see how anyone could ever stand staring at that small screen for a feature length film. It could, however, be potentially useful for an episode of a TV show if you're waiting at a DMV or something.[/QUOTE]

For all of those devices it was merely a novelty, not actual useful functionality. Netflix on a consumer device (Wii, AppleTV, ect) is an excellent VoD platform that I know many to use.

Now, Netflix on a handheld.... Meh, still a novelty.

[quote name='Rocko']I don't really see the appeal of Netflix. I've never seen the appeal of videos on small handheld thing. I didn't understand videos on iPod classics, I didn't understand UMD movies for the PSP, I don't understand anything more than, like, a music/short Youtube video on an iPhone or iTouch, and I don't understand Netflix on the 3DS. I just don't see how anyone could ever stand staring at that small screen for a feature length film. It could, however, be potentially useful for an episode of a TV show if you're waiting at a DMV or something.[/QUOTE]

I entirely agree. I've used my iPod Classic in the past for short bursts to watch a TV episode, and I really can't imagine I'd use the 3DS for much more than the same.

Still really cool that they're offering it.

[quote name='Strell']Bmachine: Check this thread for a run down on the stuff that got talked about today. Some is 3DS specific, and I put a summary in the OP.[/QUOTE]

Ah, excellent...thanks, Strell.

Is there any truth that the graphics are just as good as the Wii? Also, I'm very afraid that they'll take away BC like they did with the DS -> DSi is it still worth getting on launch date or will they make a 3DS XL?

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']Is there any truth that the graphics are just as good as the Wii? [/quote]

A dev stated that the graphics are comparable but that the 3DS has some better tricks with lighting. The system appears to be doing things the Wii can't do as well, including anti-aliasing and shaders. Take that as you will.

Also, I'm very afraid that they'll take away BC like they did with the DS -> DSi

The DSi didn't lose BC. It doesn't have GBA cart support but it plays DS games without issue. The 3DS is already confirmed to be able to play DS games.

is it still worth getting on launch date or will they make a 3DS XL?

No one knows if they will make a 3DS XL or a 3DS Lite. Nintendo's track record suggests that they will have an improved model 1-2 years after the launch of a handheld, so you can wait if you want (which would make sense in many regards, as the system will most likely be cheaper, be improved in various ways, and will have a better library of games).

There was talk that the screen size is heavily dependent on whether or not they can easily project 3D imagery. In other words, an XL version of the 3DS isn't very likely. I also believe the XL isn't selling as well as Nintendo wanted, which would point toward less reason to have a large model.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']Is there any truth that the graphics are just as good as the Wii? Also, I'm very afraid that they'll take away BC like they did with the DS -> DSi is it still worth getting on launch date or will they make a 3DS XL?[/QUOTE]

If only there were some way to gauge the quality of the graphics for oneself. Perhaps screenshots or even videos of the games already released?

As for new models...given Nintendo's history it's almost guaranteed we'll see hardware revisions down the line. Nintendo has officially stated they have no plans for a redesign at this time but that is almost certainly a lie.

edit: Damnit Strell

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, also just wanted to chime in on the 3DS JPN model situation. You can pick them up on Yahoo Auctions Japan with a BIN price of 26,000 Yen (cheaper if you're willing to risk low feedback sellers, although I have yet to be scammed on YAJ). That's about $318. If you add in internal Japan shipping fees plus proxy commission and EMS you're looking at a total of approximately $385.

eBay sellers are charging more than that. NCSX is at $459 plus shipping, play-asia is at $439 plus shipping. The difference is approx. the price of a game and a case/screen protector so there you go.

[quote name='KirbyLovesTacos']Is it still worth getting on launch date or will they make a 3DS XL?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strell']http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=151769There was talk that the screen size is heavily dependent on whether or not they can easily project 3D imagery.[/QUOTE]

I was at a DQIX tag-mode event over the weekend and I was chatting with the Nintendo rep on duty about this very subject. I had lamented that it was going to be hard to "downsize" my DSi XL for the comparatively tiny 3DS screen.

She said that the subject of a 3DS XL came up at a meeting just recently and the reps were told that a the 3D imagery wasn't possible on a larger screen at this time but that "Toshiba is working on it".

It's hearsay, of course, but it's interesting that Nintendo is even telling their employees that the technology to do 3D on a bigger screen doesn't exist yet.

She also told me that playing with the 3DS for 20 minutes or so made her feel like her eyes were swollen. She said she actually went into the restroom and looked in the mirror because she was worried. I thought that was kind of interesting, as well.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Oh, I have a Wii. And it's just retarded next to everything else.[/QUOTE]
Nintendo youre shits all retarded.

[quote name='bmachine']She also told me that playing with the 3DS for 20 minutes or so made her feel like her eyes were swollen. She said she actually went into the restroom and looked in the mirror because she was worried. I thought that was kind of interesting, as well.[/QUOTE]

o_O

Considering how much I plan to play this thing, I hope I don't have that reaction.

[quote name='Strell']Did you call her a wuss and slap her and say LET A REAL MAN HANDLE IT and steal the 3DS and then mail it to me?[/QUOTE]

Oh, Strell, how I love you.

[quote name='Strell']Wow. Sell it and get over yourself then, geez.[/QUOTE]

:cry:

Harshness. And I want are huggles.

It's sad for me. Because I totally want to play Okami, Epic Mickey, Endless Ocean 2, Donkey Kong Country, Sakura Wars, Little King's Story, Deadly Creatures, Lost in Shadow ... I just hate waggling. Just hate it hate it hate it. The Wii remote just isn't terribly comfortable for extended play, and I'm just not a fan of the impresise nature of the Wii remote.

But considering how soon Okamiden is coming, I've been telling myself to play the copy of Okami I have right here. I know I'll love it. Maybe it'll help me love my Wii a little more.

[quote name='dothog']Nintendo youre shits all retarded.[/QUOTE]

:D

[quote name='utopianmachine']Sweet. All the more reason for games to come to 3DS and skip that stupid Wii.

Oh, I have a Wii. And it's just retarded next to everything else.[/QUOTE]

This isn't right. The 3DS' GPU does NOT hardware programmable. The Xbox 1 remains the only system of that generation that is. On paper the capabilities of the PSP and 3DS seem comparable, except the PSP is clocked 25% faster. It's possible the 3DS does have some newer features though that will make up the difference or make it actually better, though games to date don't show that. (And for ROPs, the 3DS, PSP, Gamecube, Wii, and Xbox 1 all have four, while the PS2 has 16, and I guess the Dreamcast has...2? Not 100% sure about the Dreamcast.)

EDIT: That applies to the Wii as well. On paper the Wii's GPU is also comparable, but clocked something around 75% faster. I think the Gamecube/Wii GPU does have some fixed function hardware for certain effects, but I don't know the details, and it's possible the 3DS has something like that too.

IMO the Gamecube/Wii GPU was excellent for 2001.

[quote name='foltzie']For all of those devices it was merely a novelty, not actual useful functionality. Netflix on a consumer device (Wii, AppleTV, ect) is an excellent VoD platform that I know many to use.

Now, Netflix on a handheld.... Meh, still a novelty.[/QUOTE]

Netflix on the iPhone RULES. If you travel or have a long commute it is a life saver.

[quote name='javeryh']Netflix on the iPhone RULES. If you travel or have a long commute it is a life saver.[/QUOTE]

I would imagine that to be the case. As someone who plays their DS 95% of the time at home, it's not so useful to me. But I'm sure many people will take advantage of that feature that have extended traveling situations.

Heck, I could see me popping out my 3DS during work breaks to watch something, provided it connects and gets the Stream fast enough.

[quote name='utopianmachine']o_O

Considering how much I plan to play this thing, I hope I don't have that reaction.

Oh, Strell, how I love you.

:cry:

Harshness. And I want are huggles.

It's sad for me. Because I totally want to play Okami, Epic Mickey, Endless Ocean 2, Donkey Kong Country, Sakura Wars, Little King's Story, Deadly Creatures, Lost in Shadow ... I just hate waggling. Just hate it hate it hate it. The Wii remote just isn't terribly comfortable for extended play, and I'm just not a fan of the impresise nature of the Wii remote.

But considering how soon Okamiden is coming, I've been telling myself to play the copy of Okami I have right here. I know I'll love it. Maybe it'll help me love my Wii a little more.
:D[/QUOTE]

I HATE any kind of "motion control" I've used so far, or touch control on the DS. It has hurt some games, and is another thing I have to check out ahead of time, like "does this game rely on touch/motion"? there are lots of Wii/DS games that don't or don't use it obnoxiously, but it's annoying to have to check.

I personally got stuck in Little King's Story, though it does seem very fresh and interesting.

[quote name='bmachine']I was at a DQIX tag-mode event over the weekend and I was chatting with the Nintendo rep on duty about this very subject. I had lamented that it was going to be hard to "downsize" my DSi XL for the comparatively tiny 3DS screen.

She said that the subject of a 3DS XL came up at a meeting just recently and the reps were told that a the 3D imagery wasn't possible on a larger screen at this time but that "Toshiba is working on it".

It's hearsay, of course, but it's interesting that Nintendo is even telling their employees that the technology to do 3D on a bigger screen doesn't exist yet.

She also told me that playing with the 3DS for 20 minutes or so made her feel like her eyes were swollen. She said she actually went into the restroom and looked in the mirror because she was worried. I thought that was kind of interesting, as well.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I can't believe she actually said this. Yeah, the fact that it's "3D" is the one reason I may not buy it. Aside from Nintendo Power which weirdly was just pimping it left and right in this issue, even critics just hate this stuff.

And yeah, going from an XL to a 3DS I think will hurt. I really like the XL's screen sizes! Even worse for a DS game on the 3DS, where...well I don't know the math exactly, but it would end up something like 3" or whatever to do 4:3 on a widescreen screen, versus 4.3 I guess on the XL.

Eurogamer was gushing over the 3D effect in their latest game reviews.

I think it'll be a personal preference.

I'll play in 3D for most but turn it off for the fighters (sfiv, doa) to get 60fps.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I HATE any kind of "motion control" I've used so far, or touch control on the DS. It has hurt some games, and is another thing I have to check out ahead of time, like "does this game rely on touch/motion"? there are lots of Wii/DS games that don't or don't use it obnoxiously, but it's annoying to have to check.[/QUOTE]

Oh, believe me. I really dislike DS games that have only let you use stylus controls. Luckily, that seems to be limited more to early games. Considering I've basically played all the older stuff I want, I'm not so stuck with that anymore.

The last game I recall playing that was stylus-controlled only was Magical Starsign. Drove me crazy.

[quote name='javeryh']Netflix on the iPhone RULES. If you travel or have a long commute it is a life saver.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to take your word on it, but it would seem to me that you kill the battery on an iPhone doing that.

Still, its free to DL and use if you already have Netflix, a perk, but still , I think, a novelty.

[quote name='Strell']Did you call her a wuss and slap her and say LET A REAL MAN HANDLE IT and steal the 3DS and then mail it to me?[/QUOTE]

I did, actually. It's in your mailbox right now. Run out and check. ;)

[quote name='dallow']iPhones have great battery life, and the 4 model is incredible.

You can stream Netflix for hours.[/QUOTE]

That death grip must be doing something to my phone.

Havent been paying much attention to the 3DS even though I'm probably getting it day one. I know the web browser wont be ready at launch but once it is, is it actually supposed to be a web browser, or is it just some limited Nintendo browser?

Likely foltzie.

My lady friend has the 4 and I'm still impressed. I owned the previous 3 models but jumped ship to a Windows phone. Now that has some shitty battery life.

-----

The web browser is 'full featured', made by the company who made the PS3 and PSP browsers so.....
Well, I'll never use it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dallow']
The web browser is 'full featured', made by the company who made the PS3 and PSP browsers so.....
Well, I'll never use it anyway.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. Hopefully it will support flash then.

[quote name='foltzie']I'll have to take your word on it, but it would seem to me that you kill the battery on an iPhone doing that.

Still, its free to DL and use if you already have Netflix, a perk, but still , I think, a novelty.[/QUOTE]

No problems here - you can watch for hours. The streaming works great too with almost no buffering - I was shocked how well it worked when I first tried it (the YouTube app doesn't come close). I definitely don't consider it a novelty - it is one of my most-used iPhone apps.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Havent been paying much attention to the 3DS even though I'm probably getting it day one. I know the web browser wont be ready at launch but once it is, is it actually supposed to be a web browser, or is it just some limited Nintendo browser?[/QUOTE]

It's a broswer on a Nintendo handheld.

I'm not getting my hopes up.

If the 3DS had 3G access, then Netflix would make a lot more sense. There's a world of difference between being able to watch a movie anywhere and being able to watch a movie where I have access to a WiFi connection. For example, I'm pretty certain the bus I take to work isn't a Wifi hotspot.

As far as controls are concerned (both Motion and Stylus), if there is not a clear correlation between what I'm doing and the action that's performed in game, the controls are bad. Swinging a wiimote in Wii Sports swings a bat = good. Shaking my wiimote causes Mario to spin = bad.

Don't think it'll be much of a problem on the 3DS though. Games that require you to use the Stylus extensively have you focusing on the touchsreen. Logically, if you're focusing on the touchscreen you're not focusing on the screen that's going to be in 3D.

[quote name='Salamando3000']As far as controls are concerned (both Motion and Stylus), if there is not a clear correlation between what I'm doing and the action that's performed in game, the controls are bad. Swinging a wiimote in Wii Sports swings a bat = good. Shaking my wiimote causes Mario to spin = bad. [/QUOTE]

Eh, I don't see it being any different than pressing a button to jump.

Really, the issue isn't "motion control" (unless you are just set in your ways and think that the joypad/button combination is the only way to control games) but whether or not the controls actually work well. For example, combat in Okami can be more of a struggle than it should be, since the game doesn't always register shakes of the remote.

But, shaking to spin in SMG works wonderfully most of the time.

bread's done
Back