Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Yeah, I am so tempted to download it, but what is really putting me off of it is not only the fact that I am still a physical person, but because Nintendo does not have a universal download system, like tied to your account. If I break my 3DS or something happens to it, I want to easily retrieve my games.

I pre-ordered on Amazon and it sucks that there aren't any stores in the world that has the physical copy until the end of the week...I think it is because of Nintendo's Sunday releases and the fact that they can be putting off physical distribution to promote digital sales on it.

I guess I can keep playing the demo, which is awesome by the way! It sucks I can't make my own character, even if he will be erased when we close the demo, but it'd be nice to see all the customization options for your character.

This game blew my mind...the cutscenes, cinematics, and battles are just awesome! Great freaking job, Nintendo!

Seriously, the production values for FE seem off the charts. The smoke/embers in the demo map are arguably some of the best "3D" I've seen on the system. I'm fighting every urge to just DL it, even though I just started Tactics Ogre on PSP...

My Target is stupid. The website said it was available so I went there to get it...did the store tracker and stuff to make sure it was at my store.

So I drive all the way there. They do have it in stock and are holding it until the 10th though, so no one cannot buy it until then.

I was like WTF it is the street date. And after arguing, I was right, and they was about to go and get one for me from the back but it was in an unknown location. The manager said that that meant it was held up in some office or room in their basement that she cannot access...no idea.

Well I'll just wait for Amazon, I guess....save me some tax money. Target lost my sale from being so stupid.

started playing Fire Emblem and have had it crash now on me twice during cinematic scenes. One during the opening scene and one at the start of Chapter 3. The game basically force closes to the home screen and I can restart. Once restarted all is OK again.

I noticed one cutscene where it glitched a tiny bit; like when you're watching a streaming movie and it has to buffer.

My 3ds is an XL model with the latest firmware update; FE is of course a physical copy.

Anyone have similar experience?

[quote name='FrostySweetness']My Target is stupid. The website said it was available so I went there to get it...did the store tracker and stuff to make sure it was at my store.

So I drive all the way there. They do have it in stock and are holding it until the 10th though, so no one cannot buy it until then.

I was like WTF it is the street date. And after arguing, I was right, and they was about to go and get one for me from the back but it was in an unknown location. The manager said that that meant it was held up in some office or room in their basement that she cannot access...no idea.

Well I'll just wait for Amazon, I guess....save me some tax money. Target lost my sale from being so stupid.[/QUOTE]

Same thing here. The manager said it's because the Target AD says available Wednesday (which it does), so they're not supposed to sell it until Wednesday, and it doesn't matter what Nintendo's street date is.

[quote name='elessar123']Same thing here. The manager said it's because the Target AD says available Wednesday (which it does), so they're not supposed to sell it until Wednesday, and it doesn't matter what Nintendo's street date is.[/QUOTE]

My Target had two copies today and they sold out of both. They said they should be getting more on Wednesday since that's what the ad says. I guess it all depends on the person managing the electronics department.

[quote name='MrSneis']started playing Fire Emblem and have had it crash now on me twice during cinematic scenes. One during the opening scene and one at the start of Chapter 3. The game basically force closes to the home screen and I can restart. Once restarted all is OK again.

I noticed one cutscene where it glitched a tiny bit; like when you're watching a streaming movie and it has to buffer.

My 3ds is an XL model with the latest firmware update; FE is of course a physical copy.

Anyone have similar experience?[/QUOTE]

Lol, wow...even the 3DS cannot handle the game's epicness!

I wonder if it is the processing speed of the 3DS, like when a movie is too high quality online for example, and your connection sucks, or your computer is slow, it needs time to buffer or take long to do something. It is on a cart though, and there is no streaming, so it just has to be that...it can't handle its own software....or if no one else does experience it, the off chance something can be with your 3DS.

But yeah, to be serious, that is an issue. I doubt it can be the cart, since they all were made the same and such. I haven't heard of crashes either and this is the latest thing I been reading about, besides where the hell is my LE Hyrule Historia artbook.

Wondering if it may be due to Wifi - have read old reports of wifi on = leading to crashing. Seems kind of odd considering the game touts online features.

Bahhh! I'm so close to just downloading the game. I won't be back in the US until Monday... $40 is just a little too steep for a game that I won't be able to sell/lend no matter how good it is.

I am cool with the 3DS as I have more than enough to play on it, heck I got the system about a month ago and I have not put it down yet. However I am wondering if they said anything about if Animal Crossing will have holidays or not, as this feature was missing from the last DS game. I need some more details about this game but if it sounds good enough, and different enough from the last Wii/DS games I might just buy it.

Animal Crossing comes June 9th. It was in the Nintendo Direct this morning that moothemagiccow was linking to.

They also announced dates for other games.
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team was announced.
Donkey Kong Returns 3D a port (ugh) was announced.
Mario Golf was announced.

It's also "Year of Luigi," which is fuckING AWESOME.

Not that excited for Mario Golf after the barebones release of Mario Tennis on 3DS.

I'm sure Mario & Luigi will be cool, but I still have Bowser's Inside Story to play. I'm definitely in for Luigi's Mansion 2 and Animal Crossing.

They also announced Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins on 3DS for release on April 21. It's a prequel set two years before the Wii U game.

For the eShop, they talked about Harmoknight, a new game from Game Freak that seems to be a cutesy Bit.Trip Runner with more variety to the music in the levels. It will be out on March 28 with a demo out on March 14.

Also for the eShop is Kersploosh!, a game that basically seems to be those hectic tunnel flight sequences that everybody loves so much. It'll be out on March 7.

Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move is coming to the eShop soon and it seems to be a lot more about puzzles and minigames.

Dillon's Rolling Western: The Last Ranger is also coming to the eShop as a sequel to last year's eShop game. In addition to protecting villages, there is now a train to protect from monsters and you can recruit new allies like a sniper squid. It will be out on April 11.

Coming soon to the eShop Virtual Console are the GBC versions of Harvest Moon and Legend of the River King.

Two new promotions were announced for the eShop. The first offers you a choice of the digital versions of Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone!, Freakyforms Deluxe, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Star Fox 64, or Super Mario 3D Land when you buy and register a 3DS XL and either Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity between March 21 and April 30.

There is also a sale on eShop games (shocking) starting today:

Bit.Trip Saga - $9.99 - Begins 2/14
Crashmo - $5.99 - Begins 2/21
Fractured Soul - $7.99 - Begins 2/28
Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword - $4.99 - Begins 3/7
Ketzal's Corridors - $4.99 - Begins 3/14
Mutant Mudds - $5.99 - Begins 3/21

Castlevania Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate will be out on March 5. The demo will be out on February 28.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will be out on March 19 with cross-platform play between one Wii U player and up to three 3DS players. They also say that you can transfer saves between both versions. The 3DS demo will be out on the eShop on February 21.

To close out the show, they announced Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D for the 3DS. It's being rebuilt for 3DS and there is a special 3D video out now on the eShop to show off how it looks.

There's some pretty cool stuff coming for 3DS in the next few months. I'll have to get Crashmo and Bit.Trip Saga while they're on sale.

Mario Golf: Super yea!!!! I was hoping the Wii-U picked up a Mario Golf game but this should be great. I still play the original 64 version on occasion.
Mario & Luigi: Yea-ish. I've never played a M&L game and Bowser's Insides remains on my shelf sealed. I'll get this game if I need a filler on a B2G1 or when the backlog gets lower. Definitely on my radar though.
Donkey Kong: Probably a pass unless it is a new game, which it doesn't seem like it is. I don't buy ports if I have another version of that game, unless there is a cross-play function (which I haven't come across yet either.

Only thing I'm excited for from Tanuki's list is Castlevania which is a good thing I guess can't really afford to play on more than one console.

Nothing felt fresh about the game announcements.
More of the usual.

Obviously I still want Mario RPG and Golf but I was expecting them sometime.

That's pretty sick about the GBC Harvest Moon & River King, probably 2 of my favorite GBC games outside of the Pokemon ones and the Dragon quest/Dragon Warrior ones, oh yeah and Revelations the demon slayer. Really glad I just sold my copies of Harvest Moon on ebay for mega cash, I had all 3 GBC ones. I still need to sell my River King games though, but they don't have as much value as the HM ones. Not purchasing until Nintendo makes a universal account system though, as the E-shop will not get a dime of my money until that happens. Though I have way too many retail games to play anyways... wayyyyy too many to even bother.

Yay! More awesome 3DS content! I'm traveling a lot more for work, so this is fantastic news for me :D Hell, I'll prolly buy DKC day 1, despite having bought the Wii version day 1 as well. It's a truly fantastic game. This despite being highly disappointed it's just a port, er, "remake"...

Thanks for sharing this!!! I'm all over Professor Layton and Kid Icarus at those prices! Hopefully this is in-store too.

[quote name='antlp89']Another CAG mentioned this in another thread but Best Buy is currently having a sale on a few recent 3DS games:

Professor Layton - $14.99

Kid Icarus - $14.99

Paper Mario: Sticker Star - $19.99

Shipping is free. Picked up Icarus and Layton as I already have Paper Mario.[/QUOTE]

Just picked up all 3 for when I get a 3DSXL later this year. I'm hoping we get a nice Monster Hunter bundle over here like Europe.

[quote name='Cao Cao']Outside of the Nintendo Direct, Atlus released a new Story Trailer for Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, revealing that the US release date is April 16th at retail and on the eShop.
[/QUOTE]
SMT is a series that requires no trailers, it's an auto take my money now :lol:. I am waiting for the announcement of them bringing SMT IV over here. Also Professor Layton for $15, god damn that is a sexy price for that. I had to buy that.

Anyone ever have any issues adding someone to their friends list?

I'm trying to add someone and his friend code is showing as invalid and he said mine is also showing as invalid.

Anyone know what might be the problem?

I'm tempted by BitTrip Saga on the eShop for $10, but Amazon has it got about $11.50. It strikes me though as the kind of game I'd play way more if I didn't have to have the cart on me. Opinions from anyone who's played it?

[quote name='johnnypark']I'm tempted by BitTrip Saga on the eShop for $10, but Amazon has it got about $11.50. It strikes me though as the kind of game I'd play way more if I didn't have to have the cart on me. Opinions from anyone who's played it?[/QUOTE]

Can't really give an opinion on the game itself but I will say that for $1.50 more I'd get the physical cart.

[quote name='johnnypark']I'm tempted by BitTrip Saga on the eShop for $10, but Amazon has it got about $11.50. It strikes me though as the kind of game I'd play way more if I didn't have to have the cart on me. Opinions from anyone who's played it?[/QUOTE]
It's a great collection of games, though the only issues I had were that 3D mode wasn't very good and that the menu controls weren't consistent throughout the entire game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's a great collection of games, though the only issues I had were that 3D mode wasn't very good and that the menu controls weren't consistent throughout the entire game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've heard the 3D was hit or miss and caused slow down at points. For me, that doesn't matter because I'm actually incapable of seeing the 3D effect due to the way my eyes (don't) work. I've been thinking about doing a blog on it, and I'm curious how many others are in a similar situation.

It's been revealed that Shin Megami Tensei IV is coming to Japan on May 23rd.

And with it comes this gorgeous limited edition 3DS XL:

l_5124aa3a6e345.jpg

Good news for those who haven't played them - they are excellent. I'm going to pass though since I still play them about once a year.

I'd get the digital version. At $11 you're not likely to be able to sell the cart again.

I did prefer the 3DS version if you have a wii. The paddle games are easier to control. It would be nice if they'd sell the six games individually rather than loading the collection up each time.

It would be great if Nintendo had some means of transferring game card saves to the digital version of Bit.Trip Saga, as I'm assuming that there's no way currently to do that through legit means.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']I'd get the digital version. At $11 you're not likely to be able to sell the cart again.

I did prefer the 3DS version if you have a wii. The paddle games are easier to control. It would be nice if they'd sell the six games individually rather than loading the collection up each time.[/QUOTE]

I don't have much time for consoles or else Id go the Wii route. Portables are the only way I have any time to play games between working full time and grad school =/

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It would be great if Nintendo had some means of transferring game card saves to the digital version of Bit.Trip Saga, as I'm assuming that there's no way currently to do that through legit means.[/QUOTE]

Supposedly an app/tool is coming this spring to do that very thing. No idea why saves can't be backed up on system memory. Its totally dumb.

[quote name='johnnypark']Supposedly an app/tool is coming this spring to do that very thing. No idea why saves can't be backed up on system memory. Its totally dumb.[/QUOTE]
Really? I've heard nothing about that, but it would be great to have true ownership of my saves for once.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Javery']Good news for those who haven't played them - they are excellent. I'm going to pass though since I still play them about once a year.[/QUOTE]

Just finished Ages and started a linked Seasons as part of my plan to replay the Zelda series prior to WWWU (Wind Waker WiiU). Would love it if Capcom made another portable 2D Zelda. So much better than the 3DS games.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Just finished Ages and started a linked Seasons as part of my plan to replay the Zelda series prior to WWWU (Wind Waker WiiU). Would love it if Capcom made another portable 2D Zelda. So much better than the 3DS games.[/QUOTE]

Have you played them before? They are both great and on the short list of games I wish I could play again for the first time. The DS games are an embarrassment in comparison.

[quote name='johnnypark']http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/25/nintendo-3ds-save-data-transfer-tool-headed-to-japan-in-march/

Doesn't sound like a real backup tool, just a transfer utility for digital downloads. Also no word if it will transfer from digital to cartridge, but knowing Nintendo that'd make too much sense =)[/QUOTE]

It's more than just a transfer tool. From what I've been told anyway.

bread's done
Back