Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Looks like the Pikachu 3DS XL is going to be announced for NA tomorrow.

BFP-siECcAMaIWc.png:large

[quote name='soonersfan60']I thought I read that 3DS games *are* region-locked. Be sure you check into this...[/QUOTE]
They are. That's why he's trying to make sure he gets the correct region.

I'm glad about two things:

1) NA is finally getting a new XL color.

2) It's not one that I want, so I don't need to spend money I shouldn't.

Win/win.

Seriously, though, I'm actually super disappointed there's no green XL with the Luigi 'L' on it (like the Mario DSLite a few years back) for the Dark Moon release. I'd find the money. Oh yes, I would find the money.

Yeah, I don't really want a pikachu system to carry around and play, if I had oodles of money I would run out and buy one and put it on my shelf for display just to have it but that would be my purpose if I was buying it for myself. For playing and carrying around a system I want a neutral somewhat adult color.

[quote name='prim4444']Weird they have not announced it yet, but my store already has them in. Street date is 3/24

481168_10151527020744905_362930412_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Awesome where do you work Prim?

Why did they go with the Pikachu 3DS and not the Charizard 3DS >_<

That XL doesn't look very nice

Oh dammit, looks like I'm buying a 3DS. Thanks for posting the info. I don't know why I want it really, I've never even played a Pokemon game. I think it + Luigis Mansion = want.

Now if only Sony would announce the damn Soul Sacrifice Vita..

[quote name='BMO']Why did they go with the Pikachu 3DS and not the Charizard 3DS >_<

That XL doesn't look very nice[/QUOTE]

This so much!

I still have hope with X and Y...

[quote name='whoknows']Seems like they're being lazy with it though.

They could make it be something huge, but it doesn't look like they're going to.[/QUOTE]

They don't really need to. Why bother when virtually everything you slap the logo on sells gazillions out the store?

I would like see them do some custom 3DS' (or, more likely, skins) featuring whatever Pokemon you want.

BTW, if anybody is going to Japan this summer, they are doing another give away for the new movie. Since Nintendo already gave away Genesect, this time they will give away Mewtwo with its Dream World Ability and (for some reason) the move Hurricane.

Is there any way to get this on pre-order? (Maybe gamestop.com or something?) I would love it but living on a campus without transportation can be a pain, if you have to rely on the bus or other people.

I guess it's just been announced and not enough time for the stores to put them in for pre-order but usually Gamestop loves pushing pre-orders.

[quote name='prim4444']Weird they have not announced it yet, but my store already has them in. Street date is 3/24

481168_10151527020744905_362930412_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Is this your pic? I just saw it on Nintendo Life, and they didn't give any credit to wherever they got it.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']Is this your pic? I just saw it on Nintendo Life, and they didn't give any credit to wherever they got it.[/QUOTE]
Actually, they do. At the bottom of the article, there's a link to the post in which prim4444 shared the image.

[quote name='KillerRamen']It's officially official! :whee:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/14/pikachu-3ds-xl-sparks-into-north-america-on-march-24/

Also, buy Luigi's Mansion or Pokemon Dungeon and get one of five downloadable 3DS games when you register before April 30th.

Eligigable Free Games:

Super Mario 3D Land
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
Star Fox 64 3D
Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive
Art Academy: Lessons for Everyone[/QUOTE]

I hardly use my Zelda 3DS, but I kinda want to buy this...

[quote name='predseth']Target will have the Pikachu 3DS XL for $159.99 ($40 off) on 3/24.[/QUOTE]

OMFG !! I thought you were bullshi**** !!

That is a fantastic deal !

idk if I should get the 3DS xl or the vita :(

[quote name='SaraAB']Yeah, I don't really want a pikachu system to carry around and play, if I had oodles of money I would run out and buy one and put it on my shelf for display just to have it but that would be my purpose if I was buying it for myself. For playing and carrying around a system I want a neutral somewhat adult color.[/QUOTE]This is pretty much the exact reason why I want one. And seeing as how they're this cheap, I might end up getting myself a early birthday present :whistle2:k

I really wanted the slate or black colored one but I went w/blue because it was bundled with Mario Kart and BB had that deal where you're basically getting the bundle for $169.99 or something.

The pikachu one looks cool, it's funny...I actually was hoping it had a yellow stylus so if my friend buys one for her kid I could trade him for it. The yellow would look schwanky w/my Blue.

I'm going to get a clear crystal case, some stickers, and an xacto knife and see what I can come up with.

The HarmoKnight demo was pretty good, but I don't know why they'd release a demo for that game before it's even out. It's not like a retail game that I could go pre-order if I wanted.

I just got a 3ds today off Craigslist for cheap and am trying to decide if I should keep it or not. I only paid $65 for it so I could easily sell it for ~$100 and make some profit or sell my DS lite for ~#30 and have upgraded to the 3DS for only $35.

So far my biggest gripe with the 3DS is the cost of games. Does Nintendo have sales on the eshop like Sony does and do they plan to have PSN/XBLA quality games like on the eshop?

They have sales, but not every week like Sony does. They're in the middle of a six or seven week promotion with one game on sale each week, which is the first sale we've had in at least a few months now.

I don't know what "PSN/XBLA quality games" is supposed to mean, but there are a number of really good eShop games for 3DS. Crashmo, Mutant Mudds, Mighty Switch Force, Pushmo, VVVVVV, and Zen Pinball 3D are the games I have and I'm sure there are others that I've missed.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They have sales, but not every week like Sony does. They're in the middle of a six or seven week promotion with one game on sale each week, which is the first sale we've had in at least a few months now.

I don't know what "PSN/XBLA quality games" is supposed to mean, but there are a number of really good eShop games for 3DS. Crashmo, Mutant Mudds, Mighty Switch Force, Pushmo, VVVVVV, and Zen Pinball 3D are the games I have and I'm sure there are others that I've missed.[/QUOTE]
Games like Sound Shapes, Retro City Rampage, and Sine Mora. They aren't quite on the level of a full retail game but they are a step above small iphone/adnroid/psp mini style games.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into them.

There are a few games like that, but most of that was saved for the Wii/WiiU. Most of the eShop games are either relatively simple games or Virtual Console games. Very few games cost more than $8 and a number are shared with DSiWare.

Keep in mind that you can play most 3DS retail games then flip them on ebay for the same amount you paid or slightly less or slightly more than what you paid depending. I haven't seen a game other than launch titles tank in value so I think we are past that now as long as you aren't buying shovelware. Some games can be played for 60 plus hours making the value on a purchase high.

[quote name='SaraAB']Keep in mind that you can play most 3DS retail games then flip them on ebay for the same amount you paid or slightly less or slightly more than what you paid depending. I haven't seen a game other than launch titles tank in value so I think we are past that now as long as you aren't buying shovelware. Some games can be played for 60 plus hours making the value on a purchase high.[/QUOTE]

True but that requires too much work. Gamefly and PSN Plus have really spoiled me. I'm probably gonna just upgrade to the 2 games out at a time plan with gamefly and get some 3DS games that way.

[quote name='ZombieToast']I believe Dubai uses PAL, but that may not be the case for handheld games (or I could just be flat-out wrong). I really don't know... But I checked my region settings and UAE and Saudi Arabia are both listed.[/QUOTE]Thanks for checking bud! Went ahead and picked up the "UAE/Saudi Arabia" 3DS XL and sure enough, it plays US games. I believe the "Singapore/Malaysia" XLs also play US games, the only difference with these systems/games is that they don't have Club Nintendo codes and the system is packed with the regional charger. I greatly appreciate you checking for me!

Nintendo released a new Special Mii via SpotPass. Shigeru Miyamoto, cosplaying as Luigi, has all the pink pieces like other Special Miis, including the just-released Luigi's Mansion puzzle.

[quote name='nbballard']what's the deal with the pink pieces?[/QUOTE]

They're only available through SpotPass. You won't get them by spending coins.

bread's done
Back