Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

That's the thing, we don't know the name of the title lol. I read the twitch event page and there's an untitled game being shown on day 3 so I think we will know then. Fingers crossed for a Metroid game!

GS always does that, but tomodatchi's price seems to vary from 34.99 to 39.99 for some reason. I am pretty sure they do that for all Nintendo 3DS games, so for buying from GS you get the privilege of paying $2-$5 more Nintendo tax and the very good possibility of receiving an opened new copy!!!

I would really love for it to be a new Earthbound. Or a 2D 3DS Metroid or a Metroid Prime U.

Majora's Mask remake would be a letdown. I mean I would buy it but still meh.

This year's Aonuma Special Mii is treated as a separate Mii in Spotpass. I now have him twice. 

3 times, since he came via invitation in Swapnote before Japanese pedophiles killed that app.

If you are attending Smashfest at Best Buy, they give you a coupon sheet where you can get:

- $20 off Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Mario 3D World, DK Tropical Freeze, or New Super Mario Bros U
- $30 off WiiU, 3DSXL, or 2DS system
- 10% off accessories.

Also, Best Buy GCU is half off at $60.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I care either way if there's a Majora's Mask 3DS port. I'd probably pick it up on a sale, but I don't remember liking the original all that much. 

I highly doubt it'll be anything Earthbound-related, too. It's either a new IP, or something so from left-field that fanboys will cry and splooge at the same time. 

I would like to see something like Ice Climbers return. Or hell, a new Super Princess Peach game. 

My girlfriend had the first Fossil Fighters and described it sort of as dinosaurs meet pokemon. 

I never actually played it, but I could deal with a game like that. 

The new game announcement tonight ended up being Miyamoto's new game--Codenamed S.T.E.A.M.

Apparently it's an SRPG and similar to Valkyria Chronicles.

A big meh for me as I just don't care for SRPGs. Looks like I may be ditching my 3DS XL soon--haven't touched it since January and doesn't look like there's going to be a Metroid or anything that's a must play for me announced at E3.

The new game announcement tonight ended up being Miyamoto's new game--Codenamed S.T.E.A.M.

Apparently it's an SRPG and similar to Valkyria Chronicles.

A big meh for me as I just don't care for SRPGs. Looks like I may be ditching my 3DS XL soon--haven't touched it since January and doesn't look like there's going to be a Metroid or anything that's a must play for me announced at E3.
One might think you don't like anything Nintendo does, you should post more often about how their games aren't what you enjoy and how you just sold or are planning to sell one of their systems.

One might think you don't like anything Nintendo does, you should post more often about how their games aren't what you enjoy and how you just sold or are planning to sell one of their systems.
There's always the ignore feature if you don't like my posts...and there's plenty they could have done that I would have liked such as a new Metroid! :D

It's just frustrating as I was a Nintendo first gamer from the NES through N64--and still played the GC nearly as much as PS2. But lately they just rehash their same old franchises over and over, and the new stuff they do try like STEAM or W101 or Wii Sports or Xenoblade end up being genres/types of games I just don't care for.

It's no knock on them. We don't need a third console focused in on shooters, sports games, racers, RPGs, GTA/AC type games by any means. I just need to let go of my nostalgia for Nintendo and stop buying their stuff. If they ever go third party, I'd pick up a few of their games. But I can live without them otherwise as it's just not worth owning hardware for me given how few are must plays for me and how the little time have for games anymore as is leaves me drowning in games I'd like to play on just one platform. I just can't rationalize having a second console or portable for a couple games a year anymore.

Nintendo's YouTube channel has some ganeplay videos of their new games:

Fantasy Life:

http://youtu.be/Gh3CuSGaFRw

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.:

http://youtu.be/ayzMMpE2lTM

[quote name="MetalSlugger" post="11804133" timestamp="1401562816"]Heads up, the Photos with Mario AR cards are now at Target. I'll post the DCPIs later for backroom checks.[/quote]
I went to target today to buy some Wii U games but I don't remember seeing anything like that.

I started up Shovel Knight yesterday and like it a lot so far. I think I'm through four knight stages and a couple side stages. I was worried it would be overly difficult for me given the 8bit homage that it is, but it hasn't been bad at all so far.

It took me awhile to adjust to the mechanics and controls but now that I have, I'm really loving Shovel Knight. I grew up on 8bit so I've been looking forward to it for awhile.

I found something in MK7 that has simultaneously made me very happy also also kind of irritated me.

One of my favorite modes in MK DS was the ability to go into vs mode and race against the AI in a neverending amount of random track races. I probably spend about 100-200 hours playing that mode alone. When I got MK7, after I 3-starred all the tracks and got pretty much every reasonable unlock (missing golden kart at this point and that's all), I mostly stopped playing aside from occasionally racing with friends. This was largely because when I was out and about, I couldn't just do some random racing against the AI. I could do grand prix mode or nothing at all.

Today I was screwing around in the Mario Kart Channel section, and I happened to click on StreetPass LIst (which I hadn't realized til today was something you could click on). There I saw ever single person I've streetpassed with. I decided to race against my friend Paul in grand prix mode, and was excited to see that the 4 tracks it picked were random. I figured that the streetpass data transfer only transers 4 tracks. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, so I chose to race Paul again rather than picking someone else, and lo and behold it was 4 different random tracks. Apparently I can just race against someone's mii (and 6 AI) over and over doing 4 races on random tracks.

I'm excited now because I can do random racing again, though a little miffed that this is the only single player option I've found for it.

I have a question. If this is the wrong forum for this, I apologize. My wife was a bit impatient and started playing Animal Crossing before her 3DS came from Amazon. We thought we would be able to transfer her file that was started on my system to her system, but it doesn't look like it could be done. My question is if this is possible to do? I'm not really trying to hack either system. Just wondering if there is a legit way to do this. Unfortunately I haven't had mine all that long either so I am not familiar with the system much myself.

I have a question. If this is the wrong forum for this, I apologize. My wife was a bit impatient and started playing Animal Crossing before her 3DS came from Amazon. We thought we would be able to transfer her file that was started on my system to her system, but it doesn't look like it could be done. My question is if this is possible to do? I'm not really trying to hack either system. Just wondering if there is a legit way to do this. Unfortunately I haven't had mine all that long either so I am not familiar with the system much myself.
My impression is that if it is a retail, physical copy, the save should remain on the cart.

My impression is that if it is a retail, physical copy, the save should remain on the cart.
Thank you. It seems like you are correct. She was telling me that it wasn't in there. Like I have mentioned, I haven't really messed with my system. Sorry if it seemed like a silly question. She mentioned that Spotpass is disabled, whatever that is. At least she can now play it on her own system, as she has collected a decent amount of stuff already. Thank you again.

Thank you. It seems like you are correct. She was telling me that it wasn't in there. Like I have mentioned, I haven't really messed with my system. Sorry if it seemed like a silly question. She mentioned that Spotpass is disabled, whatever that is. At least she can now play it on her own system, as she has collected a decent amount of stuff already. Thank you again.
Actually, the save is in the cart but extra data is on the SD card. With Animal Crossing, it might just mean either she loses some items, or nothing at all.

But DLC, like games, are tied to the system. I believe Spotpass adds extra data to the SD card. She may need to reactivate it in game.

The only way to transfer saves would be to use the 3DS tool in the eshop that takes a retail cart's save and converts it to a digital game save, provided she has a digital copy of the game.

Actually, the save is in the cart but extra data is on the SD card. With Animal Crossing, it might just mean either she loses some items, or nothing at all.

But DLC, like games, are tied to the system. I believe Spotpass adds extra data to the SD card. She may need to reactivate it in game.

The only way to transfer saves would be to use the 3DS tool in the eshop that takes a retail cart's save and converts it to a digital game save, provided she has a digital copy of the game.
She has the physical copy of the game. She says that everything seems to be there as far as the stuff she has collected goes. How would one go about deactivating Spotpass? Thank you for your response.

She has the physical copy of the game. She says that everything seems to be there as far as the stuff she has collected goes. How would one go about deactivating Spotpass? Thank you for your response.
Deactivating or reactivating?

Either way, check the menu screen before getting into the main game. That should be where the Spotpass option is.

Can recommend me buying a 3DS?  Any must have games or am I just better off saving up for a Wii U?

"Must have" games are always a matter of opinion. Most sites tend to say Kid Icarus (the 3DS one) was a must have, and maybe if the controls didn't completely suck and the online wasn't populated by Korean 13 year olds if would have been worth it. I own it, but it's not a game I can recommend in any way. 

I think the Pokemon games are "must haves". 

Are there any new 3ds xl special editions coming out by October? We have a few of them, but I have 1 daughter who is finally wanting to upgrade her old 3ds to an XL. None of the current editions grab her that are available. A smash brothers 3ds xl would be godly

Today I bought a 3DS XL (Pokemon edition, red color). Are there any useful tips, websites I should know to, you know, be a 3DS Cheap Ass Gamer :D Thanks for the info!

Today I bought a 3DS XL (Pokemon edition, red color). Are there any useful tips, websites I should know to, you know, be a 3DS Cheap Ass Gamer :D Thanks for the info!
Other than this one? Nope.

eShop and Club Nintendo threads in the deals section are worth bookmarking though.

I have a Mario & Luigi XL and had it in one of those clear hinged cases. Unfortunately, it looks like dust got trapped in between and made a bunch of marks on the silver finish. I don't recommend those cases unless you use a skin on the 3DS too.

Just finished Shadow Wars. Definitely a decent strategy game in the absence of Advance Wars, although the story and dialogue are excessive and stupid. A few bugs and questionable AI hold it back from true greatness but for $7.50 it was plenty worth it.

bread's done
Back