Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Ah, nothing like a new hardware launch to bring out the ol' forced bundles.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I was actually never really interested in Cave Story, but the Nintendo Power issue this month made me a little more interested. Isn't that game crazy hardcore difficult, though?

I'm not too worried about the 3D effects. If they bother me, I'll just switch them off.

March 27th can't come soon enough. Well, March 28th. I paid for next-day shipping from Amazon. ;)[/QUOTE]

Right, I mean even without 3d this thing has a lot of promise going for it. I, for one, am glad to finally see a portable version of virtual console. Sure, the 3d effect is the selling point but there are other things to be excited about this system for.

Cave Story's one reason I may buy this...not putting up with the download versions, so this is the first real release.

EDIT: Those bundles don't seem bad if the games are really $50 (which is pretty exorbitant if PSP games are going to keep costing $40 tops). But anyway, Street Fighter 4 bundle doesn't seem too terrible a thing.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I was actually never really interested in Cave Story, but the Nintendo Power issue this month made me a little more interested. Isn't that game crazy hardcore difficult, though?[/QUOTE]

You can always get the free PC version if you want to give it a shot. (Keep in mind it's also available on Wiiware and DSiware as well, although those are obviously losing reason to own as time goes on.)

It's largely inspired by the original Metroid titles. It feels halfway between Metroid and Super Metroid. There's a surprising amount of story inherent in the game that isn't immediately noticeable. Gameplay is very fun and the last part of the game encourages you to explore, because there's lot of little things to discover.

As for difficulty, it's definitely a jump higher than most modern games. Some of the bosses in particular are rough. The funny part is that despite that, the REALLY difficult parts are secret areas that you have to actively search for, and are dependent on how quickly you get through the game. So with that said, you can finish it and get an ending without too much trouble, and then try to find the real meat that puts hair on your chest.

So maybe you'd want to avoid that particular part, but then again, I'm not acquainted with your policy on torso follicular abundance.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Starting to get kinda worried, saw how quickly Japan sold out (And how inflated it is in price now). Hoping Gamestop gets in plenty of stock for all the pre-order's.

Thinking of putting a second pre-order down somewhere else just incase

[quote name='Wolfpup']EDIT: Those bundles don't seem bad if the games are really $50 (which is pretty exorbitant if PSP games are going to keep costing $40 tops). But anyway, Street Fighter 4 bundle doesn't seem too terrible a thing.[/QUOTE]

3DS games are topping at $39.99 right now, which means you're spending an extra $10 for whatever it was that bundle came with, some case or something. Unless it's really what you want, not a whole lot of reason to get it if you can just get it somewhere else.

But if the 3DS ends up being as hot hear as elsewhere, I'm sure those bundles will get snapped up, as folks won't mind paying the extra $10 just to get their hands on the thing.

[quote name='Strell']So maybe you'd want to avoid that particular part, but then again, I'm not acquainted with your policy on torso follicular abundance.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the detailed info on Cave Story, Strellomite. I'm not a fan of high difficulty; those kind of games tend to turn me off. But it's good to know that I can still play it and enjoy it without ripping my hair out.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I kinda really want my 3DS now because my original DS isn't that nice to play on anymore.[/QUOTE]

I...I didn't know people still played the original DS. I think I would whimper every time I went to GameStop and saw that awesome demo station they have that shows the DS Lite and XL running side-by-side.

Not that I have an XL. I have the DSi. But yeah, there's no way I could go back to the original brick.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Edit: woops, Utopianmachine created a thread already. Didn't see it. Still fantastic news imho![/QUOTE]

Heh heh, the news was so exciting this morning I had to go ahead and nab the official thread. It definitely deserved it. :D

I know I wasn't wildly impressed with Cave Story (DSiWare version). It just made me want to play Super Metroid. That's really not a bad thing, but I'd heard so many rave reviews that I was a little disappointed that it didn't make me coffee in the morning. So I'll be giving the 3DS version a pass. Really, the main reason I'm buying at launch is that I'm concerned I won't be able to get my hands on one if it takes off. I'm getting Pilotwings really only to play with the 3D, but that's just to try out the system until Ocarina/Master Quest comes out.

Damn, that 5.40$ case looks nice O_O. Might bite on that and a Car Charger......hope it doesnt explode the moment i put my 3DS in it.

On a side note, are Screen Protectors really worth it O-o, damn near everytime i use them, they were either crappy quality, or left a bubble on the screen (No matter how hard i tried not to leave one)

[quote name='dgwillia006']Damn, that 5.40$ case looks nice O_O. Might bite on that and a Car Charger......hope it doesnt explode the moment i put my 3DS in it.[/QUOTE]

The car charger I use for my DSi is from DealExtreme and never caused me any problems.

I placed an order this morning for a 3DS car charger and the $1.50 screen protectors. Hopefully it'll be here by the time the 3DS arrives.

170249brp.jpg

You want a $20 3DS game? I'll give you one.

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/games/balloon-pop-2-3ds/90115

Oh yeeaaah, shovelware's on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
fuck it, just re-preordered on Amazon. I'm not taking a chance come June when OoT comes out that these bitches will be like the Wii when it launched.

[quote name='Zmonkay']fuck it, just re-preordered on Amazon. I'm not taking a chance come June when OoT comes out that these bitches will be like the Wii when it launched.[/QUOTE]

See, that's my take on things. I may not even buy any of the launch titles (thank god for backward compatibility and a stack of Dragon Quest games left to play) but with Kid Icarus, Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, and Star Fox all due out this year I don't want to wait to buy one and possibly have to hunt one down. Besides, its not like this thing will get a price cut before 2012 anyway.

Man, that red aluminum case is like 5$ and I already got my red plastic one from play asia for like three times that price >.<

EDIT: Also one of the bundles on GameStop includes DoA and says the release date is the 3DS launch, which it sadly isn't :/

Went to the Nintendo World store on Sat and preordered because I probably can't wait until Tuesday for Amazon to send it. Sounds like they'll have a ton of units.

I am seriously considering taking a day off work to hustle down there and pick one up. They had a ton, a TON of Wiis at launch. They went for 36+ hours from launch until they ran out so I'm guessing there will be a lot available.

Speaking of cases, anyone know if it'll fit in a DSL case? I've got a really nice one I like for my DSL, but I can't find a direct comparison of DSL vs 3DS.

The 3DS comes with a dock, right? Any idea if the unit will fit in the dock with these cases/shells on it?

That CM4 is nice but I don't want to have to pull the cover off to be able to charge it!

[quote name='utopianmachine']

I...I didn't know people still played the original DS. I think I would whimper every time I went to GameStop and saw that awesome demo station they have that shows the DS Lite and XL running side-by-side.

[/QUOTE]

Actually my DS Lite's touchscreen is pretty much fucked and well I am forced to play on the phat DS. I been trying to advoid it though, it's why I am waiting for the 3DS to come out so I can play some of the games I have been buying recently for the DS.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Damn, that 5.40$ case looks nice O_O. Might bite on that and a Car Charger......hope it doesnt explode the moment i put my 3DS in it.

On a side note, are Screen Protectors really worth it O-o, damn near everytime i use them, they were either crappy quality, or left a bubble on the screen (No matter how hard i tried not to leave one)[/QUOTE]

Run the shower in your bathroom, let the humidity take care of the micro-dust and you got yourself a nice (relatively speaking) dust-free environment.

If you don't use protectors, the controller and everything are so closely packed together when the 3ds is closed that minor scuffle marks can form on the upper portion if it's jostled around too much. Not like there's anything that'll scratch the screen area, but something to think about if you plan on babying the thing.

[quote name='muumuu']Run the shower in your bathroom, let the humidity take care of the micro-dust and you got yourself a nice (relatively speaking) dust-free environment.
[/QUOTE]

Whoa, does this really work? That's an excellent idea.

Scientifically, it makes sense.... at least that's what happens in actual outdoor weather. I have bad allergies and right after it rains is when there are the least amount of allergens in the air.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yowzers! Already?!?

Sadly that doesn't even sound like the worst possible game...I can envision a game called that that's solid...although this probably isn't.

And it's Balloon Pop TWO :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah? You think it could be good? Do you?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/mT5MCL0KN5MO8/ref=ent_fb_link

The above trailer will correct your hopes. ;)

If I was going for a game like this, I'd rather just get Bust-a-Move Universe.

The Wii version doesn't look terrible, but the reviews are in the 50's or so. Basically, it's like, why are you playing this? Don't you have anything else to play?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe1JV26wjp8

[quote name='muumuu']Run the shower in your bathroom, let the humidity take care of the micro-dust and you got yourself a nice (relatively speaking) dust-free environment.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strell']Whoa, does this really work? That's an excellent idea.[/QUOTE]

Yep, totally works. I've done this for my DS Lite and DSi screen protectors, after I kinda failed at putting on my original DS screen protectors.

But yeah, run the shower and leave for a little bit. I come back in maybe five minutes later and apply the screen protector. I wouldn't say mine is perfect, but it's a far sight better than the time I tried to put it on without the shower in the background. It seemed like lint just magically appeared out of space and time to occupy the space under my protector. That, or the mother of all bubbles.

Anyone else disappointed that DS games dont take up the full upper screen? Who wants two black bars burned in to the side of the screen?

[quote name='utopianmachine']Yeah? You think it could be good? Do you?

The above trailer will correct your hopes. ;)

[/QUOTE]

:lol:! Thanks for taking the time to do that, that's a riot.

[quote name='genfuyung']Anyone else disappointed that DS games dont take up the full upper screen? Who wants two black bars burned in to the side of the screen?[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about burn in, LCDs don't do that...except for weird off brand ones that somehow manage it...somehow :lol: I don't want games distorted though, want the correct aspect ratio.

I suppose this screen will be about the same as the first two model DSes for DS games? Way smaller than the XL :whistle2:/

[quote name='javeryh']I would rather deal with burn in (there won't be any) than playing original DS games all stretched out and shit. :)[/QUOTE]

Yup! I guess some people can play/watch stuff with the wrong aspect ratio, but I don't know how.

I suppose its not, but that looks like the DSi XL AC adapter.

And I wonder what that closed...thing is on the dock.

I kind of like the looks of it...it looks sort of retro 80's/90's lots 'o buttons and nobs and stuff...and I mean that in a good way.

Ah, and there are the hole-y cases...

Not a bad looking unboxing at all!

EDIT: STILL can't decide on a color! I SHOULD do black if I'm doing this, but...

[quote name='elessar123']The tips from bestskinsever tell you to do it after a shower, so yea. I've always applied them after one.[/QUOTE]

I totally misread that name and was momentarily freaked out. Whew.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I suppose its not, but that looks like the DSi XL AC adapter.

[/QUOTE]

It is the same size as the DSi and DSi XL, yes.

[quote name='bmachine']The 3DS comes with a dock, right? Any idea if the unit will fit in the dock with these cases/shells on it?

That CM4 is nice but I don't want to have to pull the cover off to be able to charge it![/QUOTE]

I completely didn't even think about this. Is the cradle an induction charger? I thought it would be one of those simple passthru things. Makes more sense for it to be an induction charger though. I'm going to see if CM4 can give me a heads up on that.

[quote name='Strell']I completely didn't even think about this. Is the cradle an induction charger? I thought it would be one of those simple passthru things. Makes more sense for it to be an induction charger though. I'm going to see if CM4 can give me a heads up on that.[/QUOTE]

Not induction, there are indeed contact points picture #10 from above shows them around the charge port.

[quote name='foltzie']It is the same size as the DSi and DSi XL, yes.[/QUOTE]

Really? And I just ordered a car charger from DealExtreme, assuming the charger would be different than my DSi one.

At least it was only like $2. :cry:

[quote name='Wolfpup']EDIT: STILL can't decide on a color! I SHOULD do black if I'm doing this, but...[/QUOTE]

Wish it were a darker blue. I have a blue GBA SP, blue Phat DS, blue DSL... and now a black 3DS because the aqua is just a bit too light for my tastes.

I am really hating these f-ing ecoboxes that games are packed in now. Cmon on a 3DS game? I would rather they made the box smaller.

[quote name='skubish']I am really hating these f-ing ecoboxes that games are packed in now. Cmon on a 3DS game? I would rather they made the box smaller.[/QUOTE]

They did that too.

Do we know if, when 3D is turned off completely, does the top screen have the full resolution, or is it half the horizontal resolution (because when in 3D mode, one half goes to one eye and the other half is for the other)?

[quote name='crunchewy']Do we know if, when 3D is turned off completely, does the top screen have the full resolution, or is it half the horizontal resolution (because when in 3D mode, one half goes to one eye and the other half is for the other)?[/QUOTE]

My understanding is it's half the resolution, which is the same perceived resolution as when it's doing "3D".

I'm a bit worried about whether it's REALLY the same as a normal screen with that off though, as I sure wouldn't want one if it's not.

bread's done
Back