Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

[quote name='Wolfpup']My understanding is it's half the resolution, which is the same perceived resolution as when it's doing "3D".

I'm a bit worried about whether it's REALLY the same as a normal screen with that off though, as I sure wouldn't want one if it's not.[/QUOTE]

That will be interesting to see. None of the reviewers have commented on it, but there polarizing filter or shutter will still be present, in the neutral or off position.

I'm really on the fence about this one. On the one hand I already have a DSi XL that I enjoy tremendously. On the other hand, I love being the person with the newest stuff. After reading the reviews, it seems like the 3D effect strains your eyes and is basically a gimmick? Is that about right or am I missing something?

[quote name='Pck21']I'm really on the fence about this one. On the one hand I already have a DSi XL that I enjoy tremendously. On the other hand, I love being the person with the newest stuff. After reading the reviews, it seems like the 3D effect strains your eyes and is basically a gimmick? Is that about right or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]

That's what "3D" does/is. But of course the system may end up with a great library regardless of "3D"...my concern is whether the screen really goes back to normal with "3D" off...I mean it's still not a normal screen, still has that second layer or whatever that redirects light, soooooo I'm a bit concerned about that (plus would prefer NOT supporting "3D" in any way shape or form).

[quote name='foltzie']Still a bit disappointed that the eShop isnt live. This would be a no brainer and I would sell my DSi.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it bugs me that I have to hold onto my DSi until the eShop goes live. I could definitely get more for it now than I would in May.

Oh well. I've got too much on the DSi to just throw it on eBay. I absolutely want to transfer Alphabounce, Bookworm, Art Academy, and the 10 or so other things I have.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Yeah, it bugs me that I have to hold onto my DSi until the eShop goes live. I could definitely get more for it now than I would in May.

Oh well. I've got too much on the DSi to just throw it on eBay. I absolutely want to transfer Alphabounce, Bookworm, Art Academy, and the 10 or so other things I have.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I think the transfer process will not even require the use of a DSi/XL. I think it will be though a listing of DSiWare games that are registed on Club Nintendo.

If this IS the case... are save files not able to be transferred? While this is just a guess- has Nintendo said how this transfer will work? If it is through the eShop... I would imagine it being just a re-download....

Any thoughts?

[quote name='foltzie']I am curious about pre-orders. Amazon is still offering them, so I wonder if the sales in America are going to match Japan...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm surprised Amazon is still taking preorders, but I imagine they'll be getting a boatload of them. It is Amazon, after all. And who doesn't enjoy tax free shopping?

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Personally, I think the transfer process will not even require the use of a DSi/XL. I think it will be though a listing of DSiWare games that are registed on Club Nintendo.

If this IS the case... are save files not able to be transferred? While this is just a guess- has Nintendo said how this transfer will work? If it is through the eShop... I would imagine it being just a re-download....

Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I've been wondering this too. It would bug me so much to have to start over in some of the DSi games like Bookworm and Alphabounce.

I'm guessing they have enough 3ds's made to glut the market if need be. The only people that benefit from shortages are resellers; since the 3ds is even more of a 'see it to believe it' type than ever before, it helps to be able to buy it at a moment's notice.

I do wonder what the hell they're doing not putting out as many demo units out pre-release in the states, though.

wolfpup: the screen is definitely '2d' when you turn off 3D. You do not get some odd parallax barrier effect by looking at it from the side. Also don't understand why you're so adamantly against the whole thing, but once you give it a few days unless you're especially susceptible to eye strain (after a few days of using it I went from tired in ~30mins to no fatigue after several hours of play) I doubt you'll turn the effect off. Really is one of those 'try it out first' things, but it honestly makes me think you have other things in mind when you go on your negative rants for what seems like several pages of this thread.

[quote name='muumuu']I'm guessing they have enough 3ds's made to glut the market if need be. The only people that benefit from shortages are resellers; since the 3ds is even more of a 'see it to believe it' type than ever before, it helps to be able to buy it at a moment's notice.[/QUOTE]

Looks like 2.5 million units for North America and Europe. So assume 1.5ish for the Americas.

[quote name='muumuu']
I do wonder what the hell they're doing not putting out as many demo units out pre-release in the states, though.
[/QUOTE]

Well, any demo unit is a unit that cannot be sold so those will probably be delayed a bit until sell outs arent a given.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I've been wondering this too. It would bug me so much to have to start over in some of the DSi games like Bookworm and Alphabounce.[/QUOTE]

Can you copy your DSiWare saves to the SD card? I can't remember if there's a save file for those.

[quote name='crunchewy']Can you copy your DSiWare saves to the SD card? I can't remember if there's a save file for those.[/QUOTE]

A save file does NOT exist for these games, which is very problematic...

I was thinking about getting one of these because my DS fat desperately needs to be replaced but the more I read about the 3DS the more I don't want one. Battery life is the knife in the heart for me. 3-5 hours is piss poor and not even worth it. Not to mention the launch titles are mostly meh. I'll wait a couple models then buy one when they iron out any problems. In the meantime I'm going to buy the Pokemon Black DSi to hold me over.

[quote name='tcrash247']I was thinking about getting one of these because my DS fat desperately needs to be replaced but the more I read about the 3DS the more I don't want one. Battery life is the knife in the heart for me. 3-5 hours is piss poor and not even worth it. Not to mention the launch titles are mostly meh. I'll wait a couple models then buy one when they iron out any problems. In the meantime I'm going to buy the Pokemon Black DSi to hold me over.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a plan, although I have to chime in and go XL! XL! :whistle2:D I love those screens. That's if you don't have a GBA library, otherwise the Lite might be the one for you.

(I've got a big GBA library, so I've bought a few Lites so I can hopefully always play them, but broke down and bought an XL also for my DS games.)

game informer has a review of sf4 3d, they say it it feels much more like a complete game then the iphone version. if you turn off 3d fps goes from 30-60. gave it a 9. i still have a hard time paying 40 bucks for it, when the ios version is 5. hoping pilotwings turns out to be worthy.

[quote name='caltab']game informer has a review of sf4 3d, they say it it feels much more like a complete game then the iphone version. if you turn off 3d fps goes from 30-60. gave it a 9. i still have a hard time paying 40 bucks for it, when the ios version is 5. hoping pilotwings turns out to be worthy.[/QUOTE]

Dang, I should HOPE it's better than an iOS version. Even if the iOS version was the full game and had the same hardware or whatever, it 1) doesn't have viable controls, and 2) has activation.

Just forget iOS...most of the stuff isn't real games, and even when it is, it's going to control like crap. The original Gameboy is a FAR better game system in 2011 than iOS IMO.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Dang, I should HOPE it's better than an iOS version. Even if the iOS version was the full game and had the same hardware or whatever, it 1) doesn't have viable controls, and 2) has activation.

Just forget iOS...most of the stuff isn't real games, and even when it is, it's going to control like crap. The original Gameboy is a FAR better game system in 2011 than iOS IMO.[/QUOTE]

I love iOS games, especially games tailored to the touch screen. First party titles are my main reason for wanting a 3ds- mario kart, paper mario, zelda, ect. I'm really hoping pilotwings comes through for lunch.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Sounds like a plan, although I have to chime in and go XL! XL! :whistle2:D I love those screens. That's if you don't have a GBA library, otherwise the Lite might be the one for you.

(I've got a big GBA library, so I've bought a few Lites so I can hopefully always play them, but broke down and bought an XL also for my DS games.)[/QUOTE]

I do have some GBA games, but I still have my white GBA and I'm just planning on keeping my DS fat, so I'll always have them for my GBA games. I do kinda want an XL but that Pokemon DSi is so cool. I'll read up on them and make a decision.

Do DS games still have the same Wi-Fi security requirements when played in a 3DS to access their online components or are they forced to work with the new stuff that the DSi and 3DS work with? That might make it worth it to get one eventuall when I see some games I want if I could play the few DS games that have online functionality without gimping my router or finding a Nintendo Wi-Fi adapter.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Do DS games still have the same Wi-Fi security requirements when played in a 3DS to access their online components or are they forced to work with the new stuff that the DSi and 3DS work with? That might make it worth it to get one eventuall when I see some games I want if I could play the few DS games that have online functionality without gimping my router or finding a Nintendo Wi-Fi adapter.[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly I think I read somewhere that the wifi driver/setup was card/cart specific. So the game will only work with what ever driver they put on it. http://quirkygba.blogspot.com/2010/01/wi-fi-on-nintendo-ds.html

DS games prior to DSI/not DSI enhanced must use un-encrypted or wep. Dsi Enhanced carts can use WPA.

I could be wrong.

Anyone else get the email from Gamestop to preview and play the system after-hours tomorrow?

Guess I'll go, will be my first look at it!

[quote name='dallow']Anyone else get the email from Gamestop to preview and play the system after-hours tomorrow?

Guess I'll go, will be my first look at it![/QUOTE]

No...that's pretty cool, though. Do you have a premium "Power Up" account?

I'm hoping to get my hands on one at PAX tomorrow if the lines aren't ridonkulous.

It doesn't say anything about premium in the email, but I did have an Edge Card that transitioned into the reward program . That's long since expired though.

I hear Best Buys will get demo kiosks next week though.

That's why there's generally a lot of promotion going on in Dallas over Houston or Austin. But if you want to see it in terms of some silly my city is better than yours, go ahead.

[quote name='ebucel']If I remember correctly I think I read somewhere that the wifi driver/setup was card/cart specific. So the game will only work with what ever driver they put on it. http://quirkygba.blogspot.com/2010/01/wi-fi-on-nintendo-ds.html

DS games prior to DSI/not DSI enhanced must use un-encrypted or wep. Dsi Enhanced carts can use WPA.

I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]
I knew that about the DS/DSi, but I was hoping that the 3DS smartly had a way to override that stuff to improve that part of the experience for those games.

Some Best Buys have the 3DS demo kiosk already.

I called the one down the street, they told me they had it, so off I went.
They heard me incorrectly, they thought I meant the regular DS kiosk. :(

Oh well, I'll try it tomorrow anyway.
Should be in Best Buys for all soon.

[quote name='ebucel']If I remember correctly I think I read somewhere that the wifi driver/setup was card/cart specific. So the game will only work with what ever driver they put on it. http://quirkygba.blogspot.com/2010/01/wi-fi-on-nintendo-ds.html

I could be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Not wrong, but clarification, the wi-fi settings are on the DS (and the DSi), but the wifi stack is built into each game cart, hence not being able to upgrade via firmware. I sincerely hope they changed the architecture in the 3DS to prevent such a roadblock should one arise over the lifespan of the system.

Unfortunately, ultimately, DS games are a WEP only deal.

Which reminds me, now that I have another Layton I have to figure out what I'm going to do to get the weekly downloads.

Stupid question that i could easily find the information for myself, but...

Are the screen sizes the same on the 3DS as on the DSi XL?

[quote name='eldergamer']Stupid question that i could easily find the information for myself, but...

Are the screen sizes the same on the 3DS as on the DSi XL?[/QUOTE]

The screens on the 3DS are smaller than those on the DSi XL.

Goddamn. I really want to check out a 3DS demo station but what's the point, really? To make me want something I've already paid for even more? fuck that. Two weeks is far enough away as it is.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Goddamn. I really want to check out a 3DS demo station but what's the point, really? To make me want something I've already paid for even more? fuck that. Two weeks is far enough away as it is.[/QUOTE]

My feelings exactly. I wanna try out the 3DS but I think I will wait until I get it at gamestop 2 sundays from now.

Anyone else notice these new scannable cards are basically the e-reader all over again without a big bulky device? :lol:

Played with the 3ds a lot at PAX - I was really impressed with how light it was (roughly equivalent in size and weight to a DSi) and how nice the slide pad felt, but was really unimpressed with the 3d effect and games. It was pretty good in Kid Icarus, totally useless in Zelda, and absolutely headache inducing in Pilotwings. Stays as a pass for me. I may be the only one, though - everyone around me was freaking out.

Played with it earlier this evening, and will post detailed impressions later.

In a nutshell though, "blue" one is ugly, black is true and I left kind of disappointed with it.
Maybe I was too hyped for this machine.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Anyone else notice these new scannable cards are basically the e-reader all over again without a big bulky device? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Sort of, but they have a lot more functionality. Nintendo's got a pretty amazing portfolio of products outside the big hits so it's easy for them to mine the archives once in a while and make something better.

The E-Reader cards were actually quite awesome. The system itself was pretty clunky and it was a major drag importing all the Pikmin cards just so I could get at the full content but I enjoyed the gimmick as a whole. Like so many other Nintendo ideas I do wish we would have seen more cards. Maybe we will now that they're 'integrated' into the system?

[quote name='dallow']Maybe I was too hyped for this machine.[/QUOTE]

It's launch, bruh. I was the same way with my DS and only grew to love it after the first wave of amazing games which we will be getting later this year. I think, at the $250 pricepoint, you're going to be relatively safe waiting a few months to pick up a unit but I'm still getting mine on launch.

Somebody going by the username MeteorFlare on toucharchade.com (in the lounge forum) posted that they have a Japanese 3DS. One of the things they noted is that if you turn off the 3D, battery life jumps up to 8 hours. Now, if you want to play in 3D (MeteorFlare seems to love the 3D) that's no help, but maybe it bodes well for playing DS games on it, at the least - the battery life won't be so bad when playing such games, and I'm sure lots of people will play DS games on their 3DS.

Obviously this is just one person. I'm surprised that no review sites have done a test like this. Or have they?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Sort of, but they have a lot more functionality. Nintendo's got a pretty amazing portfolio of products outside the big hits so it's easy for them to mine the archives once in a while and make something better.

The E-Reader cards were actually quite awesome. The system itself was pretty clunky and it was a major drag importing all the Pikmin cards just so I could get at the full content but I enjoyed the gimmick as a whole. Like so many other Nintendo ideas I do wish we would have seen more cards. Maybe we will now that they're 'integrated' into the system?

It's launch, bruh. I was the same way with my DS and only grew to love it after the first wave of amazing games which we will be getting later this year. I think, at the $250 pricepoint, you're going to be relatively safe waiting a few months to pick up a unit but I'm still getting mine on launch.[/QUOTE]

I still own my e-reader and yeah I think it's a great idea. I hope they make lots of use of the potential because it is really cool. I mean could you imagine maybe like a 3DS Magic The Gathering game that uses your own real deck, you just scan the cards in and it does the work to Wifi battle anyone anywhere. The potentials are endless.

I am also getting mine at launch. I mean if I don't play it a lot, it takes up virtually no space to just keep anywhere until something cool does come out.

[quote name='crunchewy']Somebody going by the username MeteorFlare on toucharchade.com (in the lounge forum) posted that they have a Japanese 3DS. One of the things they noted is that if you turn off the 3D, battery life jumps up to 8 hours. Now, if you want to play in 3D (MeteorFlare seems to love the 3D) that's no help, but maybe it bodes well for playing DS games on it, at the least - the battery life won't be so bad when playing such games, and I'm sure lots of people will play DS games on their 3DS.

Obviously this is just one person. I'm surprised that no review sites have done a test like this. Or have they?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure Ashcraft on Kotaku posted something to this effect....battery life with 3d; 3-5 hours...battery life without; 8 hours. Kotaku being the bastion of journalistic integrity that it is, he didn't exactly back up these numbers with full tests.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I mean could you imagine maybe like a 3DS Magic The Gathering game that uses your own real deck, you just scan the cards in and it does the work to Wifi battle anyone anywhere. The potentials are endless.[/QUOTE]

It'd be hard to keep the competition "fair" in such a case. It is damned easy to bootleg AR cards...anyone with the will to do so could create a deck filled with whatever they want.

[quote name='cochesecochese']
It's launch, bruh. I was the same way with my DS and only grew to love it after the first wave of amazing games which we will be getting later this year. I think, at the $250 pricepoint, you're going to be relatively safe waiting a few months to pick up a unit but I'm still getting mine on launch.[/QUOTE]
It wasn't the games though. I didn't play any retail titles. It was with the handheld itself, the 3D effect.

I'll post my detailed thoughts after work though.

[quote name='crunchewy']Somebody going by the username MeteorFlare on toucharchade.com (in the lounge forum) posted that they have a Japanese 3DS. One of the things they noted is that if you turn off the 3D, battery life jumps up to 8 hours. Now, if you want to play in 3D (MeteorFlare seems to love the 3D) that's no help, but maybe it bodes well for playing DS games on it, at the least - the battery life won't be so bad when playing such games, and I'm sure lots of people will play DS games on their 3DS.

Obviously this is just one person. I'm surprised that no review sites have done a test like this. Or have they?[/QUOTE]

That's excellent news. There's still plenty of DS games I'll be playing on 3DS. Glad to know the battery life will hopefully still be stellar for those.

bread's done
Back