Nintendo 3DS - General Discussion Thread

Oh, well forget me doing pictures, ifixit already has my model XL and my model 3DS!

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo-3DS-Teardown/5029/1

The battery in the XL is the largest Nintendo one to date at 1050, but the 3DS goes to 1300 (the earlier DS systems were under 1000).

The original PSP by comparison I think shipped with a 1800Mah battery, and the 2000 and 3000 a 1200Mah, so the 3DS actually has a slightly bigger one now, although you can get 2200Mah PSP batteries from Sony.

I'll start a 3DS game as my next portable game, though playing Zelda: Spirit Tracks right now on the XL.

Oh, got the PowerA screen protector today (which is why I've got the system set up now). Went on fine, though I got dust on my screen either just from moving it across the room after taking it out of the box, or it came with some dust on it. Needed a damp cloth to clean it off first.

[quote name='KingDox']has anyone else seen this: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/th...ta-Celebrates-Nintendo-3DS-by-Stripping-in-3D

For sure its a bunch of cheese cake photos but the 3d in some of these pics is amazing.[/QUOTE]

Ok, at 1st I was somewhat reluctant to keep my 3DS without a decent launch title until OoT came out but those pics really has me sold and want me to go out and get some Cherry blossom pics in DC this weekend.

Well, just tried out my new 3DS (between the $25 gift card Best Buy is now offering-- and refusing to price match previous purchases with, and the stuck pixel on my original 3DS, I figured I'd just order a new one and return the old one). Looks good with no obvious stuck/dead pixels at this point, although I definitely have the "yellow screen" issues now. :/ I had the 2 units next to each other and the newer one definitely has a more yellow tint on the top screen than the original (bottom screens look pretty close). I know some iPads had this issue and it was just the glue bonding the screens not totally set so I'll cross my fingers there.

I am thinking a slight yellow tinge (that's not really noticable without a comparison screen) will be a better thing than a stuck white pixel in the middle of the screen that never goes away.

I likely wouldn't have noticed it without having both side by side (as someone else had mentioned). I'm a bit concerned that the 3d seems a bit harder for me to see on the new screen but I've been fighting a bit of a headache/tired eyes most of the evening so it's probably a horrible time to be trying this stuff out.

The hinge on the new one seems a bit looser too, although it clicks into place fine and stays there.

I figure at this point the new one is good enough and if there are any problems it'll just have to go to Nintendo to meet its maker. I'm tired of dealing with Best Buy.

Sucky thing is much of the data on the SD card didn't transfer to the new machine (which it says some stuff will only work on the original unit), and there's no way right now to transfer data on the 3ds memory at all I could find, so I had to recreate my Mii, my step count's gone, Ridge Racer replays are gone, etc. I hate it when these companies do crap like that!! ("protect" game saves from migrating)

[quote name='blueweltall']Can someone post pics of their black or blue 3DS? I not sure what color to choose, if I decide to get one.[/QUOTE]

It's really hard to get a good picture because of it's glossy finish, but I happen to have a speaker that looks like the colors of the system. I didn't realize the black one was two-tone with a grey backside/bottom. It's hard to call it black as well, if you had a black DSLite, it's not that deep of black at all.. it's more really really dark grey and almost like the background of this site.

And here is a picture showing the "two-tone" (its actually three colors because the cartridge slot panel is a lighter grey)

And I forget where I downloaded that 3D picture pack (I think the link is back in the thread) but this picture will haunt my dreams in 3D (it really really really pops out).

The blue system didn't appeal to me online but it looked far better in person IMO

[quote name='QiG']It's really hard to get a good picture because of it's glossy finish, but I happen to have a speaker that looks like the colors of the system. I didn't realize the black one was two-tone with a grey backside/bottom. It's hard to call it black as well, if you had a black DSLite, it's not that deep of black at all.. it's more really really dark grey and almost like the background of this site.

And here is a picture showing the "two-tone" (its actually three colors because the cartridge slot panel is a lighter grey)

And I forget where I downloaded that 3D picture pack (I think the link is back in the thread) but this picture will haunt my dreams in 3D (it really really really pops out).

The blue system didn't appeal to me online but it looked far better in person IMO[/QUOTE]

I got the black 3DS too! I love how it is more grey than black! Would you happen to know where that picture pack link was? I want me some 3D pictures!

What is the sales number threshold on whether this system is a flop or not? My local Gamestop in the STL area (one of the busiest in all of the Midwest) is setting on about 28 of these (14 of each color) and has only sold 1 since the last preorder was picked up on Monday. I went to Best Buy nearby on Wednesday night and they had a few on the shelf as well. I can't remember the last time I could walk into a store on launch week and buy a piece of Nintendo hardware. I remember when DS Lites were sold out everywhere.

[quote name='MSUHitman']What is the sales number threshold on whether this system is a flop or not? My local Gamestop in the STL area (one of the busiest in all of the Midwest) is setting on about 28 of these (14 of each color) and has only sold 1 since the last preorder was picked up on Monday. I went to Best Buy nearby on Wednesday night and they had a few on the shelf as well. I can't remember the last time I could walk into a store on launch week and buy a piece of Nintendo hardware. I remember when DS Lites were sold out everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo said it's their most successful handheld ever in terms of First-Day sales and they'll give us specific sales numbers on the 14th. They did produce a massive initial supply to ensure it's readily available everywhere.

EDIT: I just reread the article...it was referring to the First-Day sales, not the overall launch. Fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure where the link to the pictures with that dog are but a user at GAF made these Virtual Boy 3D pics!

http://www.multiupload.com/QIM68C4NHI

iPFY.wiggle.gif

You can find a lot more of these MPO files at www.3dporch.com

EDIT: Dog pic and page before:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8325010&postcount=2026

I ordered my 3DS on Tuesday, and it didn't ship until Thursday night. I already received it yesterday (Friday). This is with Free Super Saver Shipping too! Amazing!!

Unfortunately, my game and screen protector (they arei n the same order) have not arrived yet. I am scared to use my 3DS before the screen protector comes (I am only using one for the touch screen). I will wait a few more days I guess.... ugh...

[quote name='pjarvi']There's an image of a growling dog in this collection that pops right out of the screen. Great image to show around to any of the naysayers that don't believe the 3DS can make images appear to come out of the screen. It can take a while to focus on it just right though, so try moving the 3DS closer/further tilt a bit or just stare at it long enough until you see it.

http://www.1038.fr/3ds-nintendoleague/compilNL.zip[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I will add the pictures to my 3DS!

Don't know the name but the pic of that robot boxing VB game is neat to look at, it pops out and makes me want to touch layers of it as if it were a hologram.

[quote name='Strell']Teleroboxer?[/QUOTE]

Ah yes that's it. At first I just wanted VB Wario Land for Virtual Console but that photo makes me wish we get Teleroboxer as well. Looks like it could be fun too.

And for anyone just using bottom screen protectors, it may be a good idea to cover the top since the raised edges around the touch screen like to leave temporary and maybe even permanent vertical marks every time you close the 3DS.

SO I am LOVING my 3DS...took it out with me to Disney yesterday and took a TON of 3D pics. Wish I could show em' off but there really fun. I only got one streetpass tag towards the end of the night at Magic Kingdom...surprised I didn't get more.

I have been getting LOTS of tags while at work! lol I'm the operations manager for a 20 plex movie theater... and I've tagged 12 people so far in two days of having my 3ds in my jacket pocket. It's pretty neat! Plus I like to see how many steps I do in total at work.....did 9471 steps just at Disney yesterday.

I got 60+ tag today from Wonder Con. Also tried out Kid Icarus demo. The 3D effect is more amazing than any of the launch titles I played. You have to see it in person

[quote name='super_dawn'] Plus I like to see how many steps I do in total at work.....did 9471 steps just at Disney yesterday.[/QUOTE]

Is that all? I would have liked to have this when I went to Disneyland last year. I think it was probably 2000-3000 just from the hotel to the park, not to mention 12+ hours at the park.

I put my 3DS in my pocket this evening for about an hour while I dealt with my 3 year-old tearing up the house and also did some cleaning and straightening up. I logged 1130 in just an hour of that ;).

[quote name='io']Is that all? I would have liked to have this when I went to Disneyland last year. I think it was probably 2000-3000 just from the hotel to the park, not to mention 12+ hours at the park.

I put my 3DS in my pocket this evening for about an hour while I dealt with my 3 year-old tearing up the house and also did some cleaning and straightening up. I logged 1130 in just an hour of that ;).[/QUOTE]

I was annoyed at myself that I only got 20 steps yesterday... Neglected to take it out into the world...

I spent a few hours walking around at Jo-Ann Fabrics last night and my StreetPass got...

NO MIIS!!!

How frustrating!!

:dunce:

EDIT: After receiving a couple PMs offering advice, I guess some of you didn't see the playful sarcasm in what I said above. For those who aren't familiar with Jo-Ann Fabrics, it's just a big arts-n-crafts store oft full of the elderly folk...so not an ideal place for 3DS gamers. ;)

Lulz, I got the joke when you first wrote it.
I actually went to a Jo Ann too with mine while running errands with mine, haha.

You know, for as much power as this thing drains when its runnin' I'm amazed how little it uses while in sleep mode. I left it in sleep mode all night last night (at least 8 hours) popped it on the charger this morning and it was fully charged in less than an hour.

[quote name='io']Is that all? I would have liked to have this when I went to Disneyland last year. I think it was probably 2000-3000 just from the hotel to the park, not to mention 12+ hours at the park.

I put my 3DS in my pocket this evening for about an hour while I dealt with my 3 year-old tearing up the house and also did some cleaning and straightening up. I logged 1130 in just an hour of that ;).[/QUOTE]

...well 9000...that's about 5 miles, right? Walked around the world at Epcot for the Garden Festival and then Magic Kingdom. It sounds about right. :)

[quote name='cochesecochese']Is the 3ds compatible with the slime speaker?[/QUOTE]

I want to say it is but I'll have to try it out.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You know, for as much power as this thing drains when its runnin' I'm amazed how little it uses while in sleep mode. I left it in sleep mode all night last night (at least 8 hours) popped it on the charger this morning and it was fully charged in less than an hour.[/QUOTE]

Dude I have realize that! i can be all day on sleep & barely little Batt drain.

When I tried this out at gamestop yesterday it seemed like the 3d effect was more of a recessed 'back into the screen' effect than a 3d, out into your face effect. It also seemed like I had to tilt the system to keep noticing the 3d.

Just me, or am I doing it wrong?

[quote name='eldergamer']When I tried this out at gamestop yesterday it seemed like the 3d effect was more of a recessed 'back into the screen' effect than a 3d, out into your face effect. It also seemed like I had to tilt the system to keep noticing the 3d.

Just me, or am I doing it wrong?[/QUOTE]

That's how it felt to me too. I tried it out yesterday and felt more like a shoebox diorama (which is how some have described it) than pop out in your face 3D.

[quote name='eldergamer']When I tried this out at gamestop yesterday it seemed like the 3d effect was more of a recessed 'back into the screen' effect than a 3d, out into your face effect. It also seemed like I had to tilt the system to keep noticing the 3d.

Yes, it's a bit of a gimmick, since it's not truly letting you dive into the image. Instead you see the image recessed into the screen.

My biggest problem is that for a handheld, you do tend to move it a bit, and hence the 3-d effect is completely gone for a few seconds. Once the effect is gone, you struggle trying to find the right angle, and by then you may have missed something. You also strain your vision a bit trying to find the magic angle.
Definitely not recommended for someone's commute on a bus or a train, which is where most of these handhelds are normally used. In those cases, I would never turn on the 3-d effect.

I like the 3ds, but for the reasons I just mentioned, I cannot recommend it for someone who will simply be using it during their commutes.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']If only they had some option to temporarily turn off the 3d effect...[/QUOTE]

Point taken.
However, at $250.00, if you're only going to be using it during your commute, there're cheaper options out there (DS Lite, psp, etc.) . The titles out there, do not make your $250.00 investment worthwhile, especially with no discount, and if you're going to be turning off the 3-d during the only time you're using it.:roll:

Do most people use handhelds on their commute? Even in Boston I rarely see anyONE :p playing a DS/PSP. Maybe the occasional iPhone, but that's cause well... phone.

I for one spend 95% of my time w/ handhelds at home and find it a hassle to bring them w/ me when I go out. Plus, this isn't Japan...

[quote name='dragonjud']Point taken.
However, at $250.00, if you're only going to be using it during your commute, there're cheaper options out there (DS Lite, psp, etc.) . The titles out there, do not make your $250.00 investment worthwhile, especially with no discount, and if you're going to be turning off the 3-d during the only time you're using it.:roll:[/QUOTE]
I don't think the 3D is the true selling point for most people. This is a new platform, not another DS redesign. You're buying into the next generation of Nintendo handheld games, not just 3D.

For me, the 3D is neat, but optional. I got a 3DS because I figured I wouldn't be able to wait until the next hardware update came out so I might as well get it now. I've been happy with my purchase, but I think a lot of people don't really care for or want the 3D stuff, so Nintendo should just release the "2DS" with everything the 3DS has but without the 3D screen and with a $50 price drop. I think a lot of people would jump at buying a 2DS for $199, getting StreetPass, gyroscope, AR, etc. and would be happier for not having to pay $50 for a feature that they don't really need or want.

And while they are at it, how about a larger battery pack like the Nyko one but works with the 3DS cradle? Three hours just isn't cutting it.

[quote name='Rocko']I don't think the 3D is the true selling point for most people. This is a new platform, not another DS redesign. You're buying into the next generation of Nintendo handheld games, not just 3D.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Also, I've gotten pretty comfortable with the 3D sweet spot now after using it so much. Not a problem anymore. I know how to hold it just right instantly.

Thats exactly what I thought to with the pilot wings demo.... it is NOT that way with all games, it does pop out on the others.

I had the exact same experience and I played it for the first time today. I know it was only 10 minutes in a Gamestop and I had to hunch over to get the effect but it made me a little dizzy and I wasn't totally blown away like I thought I would be.

[quote name='dallow']Also, I've gotten pretty comfortable with the 3D sweet spot now after using it so much. Not a problem anymore. I know how to hold it just right instantly.[/QUOTE]

I think that's the problem for a lot of people...there IS a "sweet spot" and you must either get used to it (forcing your body to assume a position that isn't necessarily comfortable or natural) or turn off the 3D effect so you can see a clear picture. But for many people, the initial experience goes something like this:

Me: "Hey, check out my 3DS"

Friend: "Huh? It looks blurry, what's wrong with it?"

Me: "Oh, you must be holding it wrong. You need to hold it "just right" in order to get the 3D effect"

Friend: "Oh, I see it. That's pretty cool....oh, I lost it again...oh, there it is...man, that's hard to get it just right so it looks good"

Me: "Well, you get used to it and eventually you hold it right automatically."

Friend: "Is there a way to turn it off?"

Me: "Yeah, there is, but really, it's cool once you get used to it?"

Friend: "It's kind of weird, it looks like it is 3D, but inside the screen, not coming out at you".

Me: "Yeah, that's how this kind of 3D works."

I don't think 3D is really going to be anything more than a gimmick (though an admittedly cool one) until it works in a more natural manner, where the viewing angles are much wider and "it just works" so you don't have to modify your body/behavior to do something that isn't natural or comfortable to take advantage of it.

That doesn't mean it isn't really cool...it is. And it's really nice how when it is working "just right" the extra depth makes the graphics even more engaging (I was just thinking this while playing Ghost Recon earlier today). But once the novelty wears off I may spend more time with the slider down at 2D mode, especially if it will extend my battery life. It is nice to know I have the 3D, but if I could pick up a second "DS" for my household, I'd love to have the choice of a 2D version of the 3DS for $180 or $200 instead of $250. I really like everything else about the 3DS (except the battery life), but I still think it is just an evolutionary step over the DSi, not revolutionary like the step from GBA to NDS.

I also think the 3D is just a gimmick....but a very fun gimmick. 3D photos are killer on this thing when you get it right. I took a few REALLY neat ones at the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot this weekend and my friends loved looking at my photos.

[quote name='super_dawn']I also think the 3D is just a gimmick....but a very fun gimmick. 3D photos are killer on this thing when you get it right. I took a few REALLY neat ones at the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot this weekend and my friends loved looking at my photos.[/QUOTE]

Quite true. My wife seems far more interested in the 3D pictures than any of the games. It's just too bad they aren't higher resolution, but since there aren't too many devices that will let you view them in 3D, I guess it doesn't matter that much right now since they'll only be viewed in 3D on the 3DS for now.

BTW: super_dawn...I like your sig..I've been trying to stick to the "don't pay more than $20 for a game" motto because I believe it is the smart thing to do, though I must admit I'm not always smart enough to stick to it since I bought a few 3DS games for over $20 because I wanted them NOW ;-)

I'd hold off for a game built from the ground up to see if it exploits 3D. It'll probably end up being the Mario title.

Call it fanboyism if you want but when Miyamoto is excited about something and claims it might solve a fundamental problem in 3D gaming, I'd like to see just what the hell he's up to.

Besides the system has been out a week. Have some patience people.

I'm with Strell. Nintendo has always come up with games of ingenuity. Looking forward to what they bring to us in the near future.

*rubs eyes* I almost drank tomato juice (mistaking it for milk) after staring at Virtual Boy 3D screenshots for too long...

bread's done
Back